Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Do you guys have any recommendations on good reading for the new runes system? Or are the runes more or less balanced and I can just grab whatever I think fits best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations on good reading for the new runes system? Or are the runes more or less balanced and I can just grab whatever I think fits best?

Honestly just download Blitz and use whatever it shows as the most popular

Edit: what runes are good or bad changes every single patch so anything someone writes will be incorrect in two weeks; whatever’s too good will be useless after a nerf

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

You can just go to Probuilds and search around for specific champions to see the most common rune choices. A quick overview on keystones:
  • Resolve
  • Aftershock: Strong pick on pretty much anyone with easily accessible hard CC, though mostly taken on tanks and certain bruiser matchups. Good against champions with burst trades (LeBlanc, Irelia, etc.).
  • Grasp of the Undying: Decent pick for tanks and bruisers who want lane sustain and some scaling HP. Mostly used for champions that engage in extended trades.
  • Guardian: Almost exclusively used by supports. Mostly recommended for champions with point-and-click buffs that'll proc it, as it's otherwise very hard to control.

• Sorcery
  • Comet: Good on long-range ability-based poke champs, especially anyone with an inbuilt slow (Lux, Xerath, etc). Occasionally taken by some champs like lane Camille for increased early poke.
  • Summon Aery: Used in situations where you have an AA range advantage and can't afford to spend the extra mana to trade or if you're a shielding/healing support like Lulu.
  • Phase Rush: Taken by a few champions who need the extra move speed as part of their combos to close out their trades: Darius, Xin, Swain, and a handful of others.

• Domination
  • Hail of Blades: Extremely strong on anyone with a three-hit passive like Xin Zhao or with on-hit damage. Not taken by a lot of people, but super powerful on those who do take it.
  • Electrocute: Frequently taken by assassins or anyone who excels at short burst trades like Syndra.
  • Dark Harvest: Got nerfed into irrelevancy lately. Taken by a small number of champions (Karthus) who can almost always guarantee stacks.
  • Predator: Strong on certain early game junglers (Gragas, Olaf) who clear fast and can take advantage of the move speed for ganks. Requires a somewhat specialized route to use it, and it's very mediocre on laners.

• Precision
  • Press the Attack: Strong on anyone who can get in three hits relatively quickly either via their passives or AA resets (Jax, Xin, Lucian), or for certain ADCs (Twitch) who benefit from increased ability damage.
  • Lethal Tempo: Almost exclusively taken by ADCs. Strong on anyone who doesn't use PtA or who needs massive DPS to take care of tanks.
  • Fleet Footwork: Good for lanes where you need to play defensively and have trouble taking good trades without the sustain. Taken by a very wide variety of champs, both AD and AP, but it's usually more situational.
  • Conqueror: Horrendously broken rune that's almost completely forced tanks out of the meta. Taken by every bruiser that can use it outside of a few situations.

• Inspiration:
  • Unsealed Spellbook: Taken by a few toplaners to swap between laning spells and TP and a few supports that don't need a combat keystone (Braum, Tahm Kench). Deceptively powerful since you can use it to make drake/Baron steals more likely.
  • Kleptomancy: The only rune Ezreal ever uses, and is also occasionally taken by toplaners into safe matchups.
  • Glacial Augment: Used occasionally by a few midlaners (Ahri, Vel'Koz) and a few supports to create builds with hilarious lockdown potential. Tahm Kench occasionally takes this for laning power, but it's otherwise untouched.
Individual runes mostly come down to taste, champion synergies (Shield Bash on anyone with a frequently-applied shield), and matchup or team-specific needs (Legend: Tenacity into heavy CC teams).

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Does Press the Attack affect the passive from Pix, too? I know what I should pick, and it's always at odds with what I want to pick.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Why are so many adcs complaining about adc balance? Is there something in the ether that just attracts the whiniest people to play adc? ADC is balanced, the only time adcs are happy is when they can win lane, carry late game, do most dmg and unfortunately it has happened so many times that they think that is the normal.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
in exchange for playing the most boring, homogeneous role, adc players feel uniquely entitled to be happy at least once during any given game of league of legends. they're spoiled rotten

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

Why are so many adcs complaining about adc balance? Is there something in the ether that just attracts the whiniest people to play adc? .

yeah its called being the only role in league of legends which has a dedicated role designed to keep them alive and give them kills

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lucian and Ezrael are probably two of the funnest champions to play in the game while being two of the most broken picks right now.

Also how is the role homogeneous with poo poo like Cassio/Viktor/Yasuo bot? Maybe adc players can't play anything that requires more than right clicking? Which is why they resist any change to the role. Maybe they should start playing Trynd bot .

So adc role isn't boring unless you are playing boring champions, it's not homogeneous unless you refuse to play mages despite them being strong botlaners. ADC players don't want to be happy at one point in the game. They want to smash lane, be strong early, 1v9 late game, get every cs, do most dmg. Unfortunately very few champions fit all of those and at any given time those champions are called meta which there are inadc such as Lucian/Ez/Kaisa.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

Lucian and Ezrael are probably two of the funnest champions to play in the game while being two of the most broken picks right now.

Also how is the role homogeneous with poo poo like Cassio/Viktor/Yasuo bot? Maybe adc players can't play anything that requires more than right clicking? Which is why they resist any change to the role. Maybe they should start playing Trynd bot .

So adc role isn't boring unless you are playing boring champions, it's not homogeneous unless you refuse to play mages despite them being strong botlaners. ADC players don't want to be happy at one point in the game. They want to smash lane, be strong early, 1v9 late game, get every cs, do most dmg. Unfortunately very few champions fit all of those and at any given time those champions are called meta which there are inadc such as Lucian/Ez/Kaisa.

adc is. the most homogenous role. like, you can not even argue against it. you would just be wrong... you can argue that it is not homogenous anymore which is fine and something i am tending to agree with now that the aforementioned yasuo bot shows up, but for years the role was just “click on bad guy get money get money get money click bad guy to get money” and only recently has this even slightly changed in a long term fashion

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

adc role is in the best place it's been in years and I'm super happy to be an adc main rn

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
its good and i hope adc goes back to solo lanes permanently . support adc lane is an abomination, it breeds weakness and entitlement.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My only lament is that the new Graves feels hopelessly clunky compared to the old version.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Why are so many adcs complaining about adc balance? Is there something in the ether that just attracts the whiniest people to play adc? ADC is balanced, the only time adcs are happy is when they can win lane, carry late game, do most dmg and unfortunately it has happened so many times that they think that is the normal.

A lot of it boils down to individual agency. The very nature of the role's fantasy - a point-and-click glass cannon with limited outplay potential - inherently requires a clamp on their ability to control the direction of the game. The method they've used so far - requiring you to be in a solo lane and having a significant ramp up time on your power - means that you're at the mercy of how good the entire rest of your team is. If they can hold it together for 20 minutes and you're playing well, you can start to affect the game, but you're otherwise unable to do much at all.

This has, to a certain extent, always been the case. What's changed is that the guarantee of their eventual agency has diminished as a consequence of enchanter supports being gutted and dedicated tanks being almost completely shoved out of the meta. In Ardent meta, you knew that, no matter what else was happening around you, you could at least just farm up to Wit's + Guinsoo's with your Janna/Lulu/Soraka sitting next to you and then start teamfighting with whatever health-stacking dullards were trundling around in top and jungle, but that's no longer the case. Worse, tanks disappearing means that all of the strong divers that were previously forced out of the meta are now meta, and you no longer have the benefit of an enormous amount of extra EHP from your enchanter support. The common case at 20 minutes in most games these days is for you to be on a team with a Fiddlesticks support and a loving Riven + Irelia combo eagerly waiting to murder you the second you get within AA range.

They're going in the right direction next patch by changing up several of the crit items, with Phantom Dancer notably gaining a new Sterak's-like effect, which should help a lot. The problem of individual agency will likely always remain, but ensuring that they have a good amount once they hit their appropriate item spikes is important to prevent frustration from settling in.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

adc is. the most homogenous role. like, you can not even argue against it. you would just be wrong... you can argue that it is not homogenous anymore which is fine and something i am tending to agree with now that the aforementioned yasuo bot shows up, but for years the role was just “click on bad guy get money get money get money click bad guy to get money” and only recently has this even slightly changed in a long term fashion

I don't think the role is homogenous anymore you can play a ton of new champions botlane, it definitely was ranged ad champs only before but that has changed. It started with Mordekaiser for a few days then Ziggs season 7 then season 8/9 where it really opened up. Whether it be low elo, high elo or pro play. I have seen non marksman as adc ALOT more. The only reason we don't see it even more is because the role was so homogenous before that a lot of adc players don't have the skills to play non traditional marksman. Even though they might goto the same lane it is basically liking playing a different role for them because ADC meant Marksman. When I play mid it doesn't mean assassin, it doesn't mean mage, it means mid and I can pick whatever fits that role. I can play any type of champions. Mid was historically a mage/assassin lane but when things like Sion/Galio were meta I didn't hestitate to play them.

I guess marksman champions are so fundamentally different than other roles that those who played them have no skills to play other type of champs but if I played 100 games of Zed, Aatrox isn't really that different nor is Sion even though you are obviously not gonna be one shotting people. If you just play champions that AA and scale off only items I guess its hard to play champions that really on abilities/combos.

I don't understand marksman not being strong since 3 are really strong like Kaisa/Lucian/Ezrael. And if we consider the other champions like Cassio/Zoe/Viktor/Yasuo/Vlad/Heimer that can be played bot they are also decent. Does some role have more broken poo poo? Like Aatrox/Akali/Irelia. Ya but they are like outliers. Very few other champions midlane are that broken.

The game in general seems to be really focused on early game in which marksman don't really shine unless you play poo poo like Lucian/Draven/Ez(cause he is safe/scales well). Unfortunately it's just a flaw with Riot's design philosophy where they have pigeoned hole adc as late scalers instead of making more relevant early game ads. Graves was another great early-mid game adc that got turned into a bruiser/ranged random champion who still op whenever he gets buffs but doesn't work botlane. I mean Corki is another champion that should be perfect for this meta but his mana/cds all got nerfed cause he was strong in some meta years ago.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
adc players disgust me tbh and everyone here should feel the same

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Kiss my rear end

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The biggest change is that you can pick basically any champ as bot laner and no one in champ select says poo poo. There’s no way you would have been able to lock in Ryze bot in season six without everyone yelling at you

Obviously people still yell at you if you feed but that will happen regardless

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I'll yell at you if you pick Ryze anywhere, honestly :twisted:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
*starts Ryze ult into fountain* get in loser we’re going shopping

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive played metabreaker picks since season 1 and ive never gotten flamed less for picks than now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I played a bunch of bot Heimer and Vel'koz in preseason and was amazed at never getting flamed. It's either everyone accepting the off meta stuff or supports collectively finally being broken enough to not care any more.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

one time i played my world famous nami top and this guy said to me “go get em”. he didnt give a gently caress. i won my lane but we lost the game and therefore the adc decided if i was a real top laner he would not have died 5 times in lane and we could have won

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Ulio posted:

I don't understand marksman not being strong since 3 are really strong like Kaisa/Lucian/Ezrael.

I don't disagree that ADC has gotten less homogenous (although I'd argue it's still more homogenous than other roles); but just re: these three being strong, Ezreal is really weak right now -- he's probably the worst adc in solo q (and is in win rate). Lucian is really strong, but Kai'sa, outside of mb pro play, which I haven't been keeping up with, is pretty mediocre in solo queue at the moment -- Vayne is imo a better scaling adc, at least based on win rate throughout the game, and Sivir/Jinx/Draven/Twitch/Ashe/MF all out-perform her.

I still think it's totally valid to say there's a lot of strong adcs at the moment, because there are, just not exactly those three!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Way back before the "europe adc bot meta" was a fully established thing, had a four man premade of myself, two good friends and one random league nerd, my friends wanted to do Garen/Maokai bot and the league nerd said if they did that he would leave, so they did, so he did, he immediately then unfriended my two friends and we still laugh about it when we think about that.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
playing unconventional botlane is the best. i was playing support taliyah to a lot of success and even this thread shat on me!!!
people in lobbies also weren't a fan, a lot has changed in the last 12 months for the better

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

foutre posted:

I don't disagree that ADC has gotten less homogenous (although I'd argue it's still more homogenous than other roles); but just re: these three being strong, Ezreal is really weak right now -- he's probably the worst adc in solo q (and is in win rate). Lucian is really strong, but Kai'sa, outside of mb pro play, which I haven't been keeping up with, is pretty mediocre in solo queue at the moment -- Vayne is imo a better scaling adc, at least based on win rate throughout the game, and Sivir/Jinx/Draven/Twitch/Ashe/MF all out-perform her.

I still think it's totally valid to say there's a lot of strong adcs at the moment, because there are, just not exactly those three!

I don't think soloq winrate's indicate how strong a champion is honestly. You have to look at a mix of winrate, playrate and champion difficulty. The highest winrates pretty much always tend to be the outliers that onetricks or barely anyone play. I think super snowbally champions like Vayne/Yi/Zed are outliers they pretty much have always had good winrates/playrates in soloq but it doesn't mean they were the strongest champions at that time but that they are just really good in soloq. Also other than NA, every other region Vayne's winrate decreases as you go up in division. Although I agree with you, I just meant at the highest meta such as challenger those were the strongest but in general in soloq there is no real meta and you can have over 60% winrate playing rengar bot.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Okay is NA somehow more chill or something cuz I still get flamed basically every game for going vayne/trist/ez/adtf/adkennen top. Like I know it's suboptimal, but this is how I landed at this MMR so obviously it works "well enough" at this MMR so just leave me alone.

"Unconventional picks are explicitly not a violation of the summoner's code." has basically become a brain macro at this point for whenever I get my first death and people start flaming again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dancer posted:

Okay is NA somehow more chill or something cuz I still get flamed basically every game for going vayne/trist/ez/adtf/adkennen top. Like I know it's suboptimal, but this is how I landed at this MMR so obviously it works "well enough" at this MMR so just leave me alone.

"Unconventional picks are explicitly not a violation of the summoner's code." has basically become a brain macro at this point for whenever I get my first death and people start flaming again.

My experience with playing off-meta supports over two seasons in NA is that people won't say anything if you win, and they'll invariably yell about you playing X champ in Y role if you lose. People looking to flame will latch on to the most obvious excuse they can find, and weird picks make easy targets.

I'd say the situation has improved noticeably over the years. I think most people are willing to give off-meta picks the benefit of the doubt. Enough people have had enough games where someone's pocket pick has gone apeshit to trust that their teammate's not trolling.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
on the other hand, sometimes your friend of a friend picks attack speed jungle braum and you just stop playing for two years

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's a tiny, awful part of me that is still sort of vaguely mad that jungling is even a thing. Granted back when there were like 20 champs total in testing 2/1/2 was a thing just because "Uh well DotA?" and it was a total mess, so what're you gonna do.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Orv posted:

There's a tiny, awful part of me that is still sort of vaguely mad that jungling is even a thing. Granted back when there were like 20 champs total in testing 2/1/2 was a thing just because "Uh well DotA?" and it was a total mess, so what're you gonna do.

excuse me, what?

Orv
May 4, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

excuse me, what?

The off meta pick discussion had me thinking about that. :shrug: Jungling wasn't a super defined thing early on in the semi-public testing, at least on the player end and all sorts of dumb poo poo happened.

Though all sorts of dumb poo poo happened for other reasons, like a lot of people never having played a MOBA before.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I feel like there's a ton of CDR in the game and I have to actually avoid taking certain items because I'd go over the CDR cap (or have to take that one rune that converts excess CDR into force).

Similarly, I don't think there's a build that lets you hit exactly 100% crit with Infinity Edge without spillover, though I haven't investigated this one as closely. Itemization feels weird, coming back to this game after playing it between 2011-2014.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Similarly, I don't think there's a build that lets you hit exactly 100% crit with Infinity Edge without spillover, though I haven't investigated this one as closely. Itemization feels weird, coming back to this game after playing it between 2011-2014.

There isn't, and its by design due to how immensely dominant crit ADCs were becoming. 60% is the max off a single zeal item, and 90% requires having a standalone zeal in your inventory. Though all the crit mains have been whining about this so long they're basically reverting all this so 100% 3-4 item crit will once again rule the bot lane by spring.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Can't we still go panth bot because I swear some bow and arrow idiots cannot deal with his passive.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Anidav posted:

Can't we still go panth bot because I swear some bow and arrow idiots cannot deal with his passive.

You can run almost anything in any lane until you get to, like, high Masters and have it be successful. The reason most people don't is because it's heaps more difficult than simply playing something meta, mainly due to bad lane matchups. Pantheon gets absolutely clobbered by supports like Braum or Alistar, so playing him botlane means either only picking him into favorable matchups or having godlike matchup knowledge.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, new rank system is dumb and stupid and here's why:

Autofills exist and it ruins the entire system of ranking per-role and has confusing mechanics.

Friend dodges in diamond series to role A while autofilled to role B, doesn't lose series game, doesn't lose placement games, I dodge 2nd time in a day while autofilled top placements after finishing jungle placements and I lost 10 LP in jungle role because reasons.

it also heavily encourages people not to give a gently caress in their autofill roles and just troll to little consequence.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

busb posted:

playing unconventional botlane is the best. i was playing support taliyah to a lot of success and even this thread shat on me!!!
people in lobbies also weren't a fan, a lot has changed in the last 12 months for the better

I don't think he plays or post anymore but warchicken managed to get to like diamond 2 playing nothing but support teemo. He also refused to ever buy a sightstone (this was before the current support items, mind) and was generally being a lovely support with his oddball playstyle but loving hell did it apparently work.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Vermain posted:

You can run almost anything in any lane until you get to, like, high Masters and have it be successful. The reason most people don't is because it's heaps more difficult than simply playing something meta, mainly due to bad lane matchups. Pantheon gets absolutely clobbered by supports like Braum or Alistar, so playing him botlane means either only picking him into favorable matchups or having godlike matchup knowledge.

its actually because if you pick a nonstandard hero the 3 twelve year old on your team will immediately begin feeding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

it also heavily encourages people not to give a gently caress in their autofill roles and just troll to little consequence.

If someone loses a bunch of autofill/off role games, it should have a significant impact on their main role too after a few games (or at least, that's how it's meant to work iirc, who knows if it's working or not this early in the season)