Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

product idea: key holder (shelf, hooks, or mat) which operates on the same principle as these secure badge holders:

run an as-seen-on-tv style campaign and make bank.

how are you supposed to use the contact part of the smart card with that poo poo on it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

how are you supposed to use the contact part of the smart card with that poo poo on it lol

You take it out.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

that’s the last time aaa tries to give granos a tow

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

there's also no reason you can't use nfc for all TFA, with the contacts only being needed to program the card.

besides for needing a reader of course.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

using apple's business app distribution system to bypass an official App Store ban seems like a very bad idea...

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1090393772159090688

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Why do I still have my Facebook account again? Oh right because I am an insecure chud and most of friends invite me to things through Facebook.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shifty Pony posted:

using apple's business app distribution system to bypass an official App Store ban seems like a very bad idea...

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1090393772159090688

:piss:

Sounds like Apple would be within their rights to nuke all of their certs at this point

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like Apple would be within their rights to nuke all of their certs at this point

cook vs zuck

whoever loses, we lose

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The best part of the article is where it points out that the original blacklisted app is still in the Google play store with 10 million+ downloads.

:piss: :piss: :piss:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Volmarias posted:

yeah it’s a blatant rule violation. the cert they used here will absolutely be yanked, the main apps may be protected by being too popular

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

haveblue posted:

yeah it’s a blatant rule violation. the cert they used here will absolutely be yanked, the main apps may be protected by being too popular

That's what I was thinking too. If users aren't allowed to do their favorite things on your platform, then why would they continue using your platform? It's hard to start a dialogue about legislating against these types of things in order to hold rear end in a top hat companies accountable because no one really understands the boundaries of everything.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://twitter.com/chronic/status/1090399087827083264

:stare:

if that's right this probably merits termination of Facebook's iOS development accounts. dunno if that's a fight Tim Cook will want to pick but if it is Facebook is really going to regret the bonfire of public goodwill they've been having for the past year.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

if that's right this probably merits termination of Facebook's iOS development accounts. dunno if that's a fight Tim Cook will want to pick but if it is Facebook is really going to regret the bonfire of public goodwill they've been having for the past year.

yeah, i could see some grousing but overall i dont think most people would blame apple for vaporizing their certs/profiles

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Facebook more like Farcebook

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
more like should-be-in-prison book.

not even joking, lock up whoever made the decision, and also their entire management chain including zuckerberg (they all knew exactly what was going on).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jabor posted:

not even joking, lock up whoever made the decision, and also their entire management chain including zuckerberg (they all knew exactly what was going on).

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/tombschrader/status/1090033464731099136

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Shifty Pony posted:

This is absolutely mental, they need to be strung up for doing this lest other people try the same poo poo. It is absolutely totally unreasonable to expect anyone outside of IT people (and even most IT people) to understand the implications of importing a root certificate onto a device.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

abigserve posted:

This is absolutely mental, they need to be strung up for doing this lest other people try the same poo poo. It is absolutely totally unreasonable to expect anyone outside of IT people (and even most IT people) to understand the implications of importing a root certificate onto a device.

agreed, but don't fret, nothing will happen

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

abigserve posted:

Yeah I think this is a good point to make. Everyone in this thread understands what FB is doing.

The vast overwhelming 99.999(9?)% of people affected by this/facebook do not understand whats even happening.

Jabor posted:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
On the otherhand, lol at interacting with anything named Facebook Research

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Its that time of the sec fuckup thread where I say:

A modern OS should not support MiTM CAs and this is why. I'm still surprised iOS hasn't followed Android here.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Methanar posted:

On the otherhand, lol at interacting with anything named Facebook Research

the ad campaign to get people to sign up was specifically targeted at Instagram users aged 13-17

i mean you'd be hard pressed to come up with a less ethical practice. Facebook needs to go.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

apseudonym posted:

Its that time of the sec fuckup thread where I say:

A modern OS should not support MiTM CAs and this is why. I'm still surprised iOS hasn't followed Android here.

at least not without enabling developer mode first and having a warning that actually explains what it is

I don't use iOS but android's permissions dialog really pisses me off because they make absolutely no distinction between permissions that are intrusive but plausibly required by the app (eg. Camera), permissions that really have no good reason to be granted (eg. device info), and permissions that are harmless (eg. "allow game to manage its own data?")

So people just click OK without understanding that they might actually be doing something very bad, because they have to click OK on every app they install.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if apple revokes facebook's app, zuck will simply announce a partnership with huawei.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

fisting by many posted:

at least not without enabling developer mode first and having a warning that actually explains what it is

I don't use iOS but android's permissions dialog really pisses me off because they make absolutely no distinction between permissions that are intrusive but plausibly required by the app (eg. Camera), permissions that really have no good reason to be granted (eg. device info), and permissions that are harmless (eg. "allow game to manage its own data?")

So people just click OK without understanding that they might actually be doing something very bad, because they have to click OK on every app they install.

There is no permission to "manage it's own data"?

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 30, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
lmao, savage

https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1090624044561395712

wonder if there are meetings at apple right now trying to decide what to do. if all they do is revoke when a company gets caught, that's just incentive to continue and try to get caught less

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

someone bothered to do a cursory review of 7zip's aes implementation aaaaaaaand

https://twitter.com/3lbios/status/1087855341226942465

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/6f7607738c/

@Devs. Please fix ASAP. 
Don't do your own crypto.

Alright, which one of you?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well, here we go?

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1090618327502897152

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

apseudonym posted:

There is no permission to "manage it's own data"?

it's a google play games thing rather than an android thing but it's a similar prompt

there's just no reason to even ask yet it's given exactly as much weight as "allow app to rootkit your phone" :confused:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

there’s no one to really root ( :nsa: ) for, but outside of apple just straight up blacklisting facebook from the app store, the best thing i could think of is apple popping up an android-esque permissions dialogue box for every facebook and facebook subsidiary app that’s just a list of times they’ve gotten caught with their hand in the cookie jar over the last 5 years

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

fisting by many posted:

it's a google play games thing rather than an android thing but it's a similar prompt

there's just no reason to even ask yet it's given exactly as much weight as "allow app to rootkit your phone" :confused:
We also don't present an option to allow apps to rootkit your phone?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well they have an android version of their VPN app so how does that one work?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

all their internal apps are dead

"Apple has shut down Facebook’s ability to distribute internal iOS apps, from early releases of the Facebook app to basic tools like a lunch menu. A person familiar with the situation tells The Verge that early versions of Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and other pre-release “dogfood” (beta) apps have stopped working, as have other employee apps, like one for transportation."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phone posted:

there’s no one to really root ( :nsa: ) for, but outside of apple just straight up blacklisting facebook from the app store, the best thing i could think of is apple popping up an android-esque permissions dialogue box for every facebook and facebook subsidiary app that’s just a list of times they’ve gotten caught with their hand in the cookie jar over the last 5 years

The public isn't going to give a poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Potato Salad posted:

The public isn't going to give a poo poo.

yeahhhhhhhh

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I fail to recognise the “bad practice” here. Researchers clearly asked for consent, in case of teens they have required parental consent as well, they have had clearly worded policy, they have generously paid for participation.

There is no other way to see the user experience in the whole without using VPN and custom root SSL certificate since every app is sandboxed and traffic is sent over HTTPS most of the times.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

I fail to recognise the “bad practice” here. Researchers clearly asked for consent, in case of teens they have required parental consent as well, they have had clearly worded policy, they have generously paid for participation.

There is no other way to see the user experience in the whole without using VPN and custom root SSL certificate since every app is sandboxed and traffic is sent over HTTPS most of the times.

against the TOS, bitch, youre banned

take it up with arbitration

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phone posted:

lol at getting this design irb approval at any real research organization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

The real solution is Zuck should be guillotined.