Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Of all the disingenuous arguments thrown around in this thread, the idea that there is little to no race/class conflict in Latin America has to be the funniest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

COMRADES posted:

That whole link is one atrocity after another pretty much. Or was that the joke?

It's not a joke. I think a lot of people are making comparisons to Iraq because they don't know anything about the the wider history of regime change. If they spent some effort looking at the actual history of Venezuela and Latin America, they would be able to make much clearer and stronger arguments. I would not point at any specific example because Venezuela's present circumstances are unique and different in their own ways

COMRADES posted:

It just kind of a ridiculous assertion on its face that there's 0 strife and everyone gets along considering the state of the country right now.

Goddamn you're patronizing lol

Which one of these was supposed to be the good outcome?

I don't think you have understood my intentions. For example, if you'd read my post commenting on the CNN article on the last page, you should be able to notice some strong parallel in the situation I described to the Contras. I still don't think right-wing rebels forming bases over the border in Colombia is very likely, but when there are army deserters openly calling for arms and support to help overthrow Maduro, its hard not to notice parallels. If you want to make arguments against US intervention, your arguments are going to be much more relevant if you are using the example of Bolivia in 1971 or El Savador in 1983 than Yemen, 2016.

My assertion was not that there is no strife, its that you cannot conceptualize it as ethnic. Of course there is ethnic tension in Venezuela with the Indians, but it is not likely to become politically relevant to this crisis.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

Of all the disingenuous arguments thrown around in this thread, the idea that there is little to no race/class conflict in Latin America has to be the funniest

I'm trying to be overbearingly ingenuous Chomskyan. It's just that its hard to have a good conversation about these topics with someone who is just now learning who the Contras were.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Squalid posted:

It's not a joke. I think a lot of people are making comparisons to Iraq because they don't know anything about the the wider history of regime change. If they spent some effort looking at the actual history of Venezuela and Latin America, they would be able to make much clearer and stronger arguments. I would not point at any specific example because Venezuela's present circumstances are unique and different in their own ways

I don't think you have understood my intentions. For example, if you'd read my post commenting on the CNN article on the last page, you should be able to notice some strong parallel in the situation I described to the Contras. I still don't think right-wing rebels forming bases over the border in Colombia is very likely, but when there are army deserters openly calling for arms and support to help overthrow Maduro, its hard not to notice parallels. If you want to make arguments against US intervention, your arguments are going to be much more relevant if you are using the example of Bolivia in 1971 or El Savador in 1983 than Yemen.

I’ll let the million dead Iraqis know they aren’t relevant!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Squalid posted:

The reason why people are making comparisons to Iraq is because John Bolton is the National Security Advisor and is loudly pushing for an invasion.

e: That's not to say that I think an Iraq-style invasion/failed occupation will result from this, mind you - just that the comparisons aren't coming out of nowhere.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Typo posted:

to be fair I think everybody itt except possibly chomskyan (who also seems to think ppl in this thread are CIA agents so let's ignore him for now) agrees that maduros is bad it's just that they also think anyone who the US recognizes is Pinochet 2.0. So they kinda de facto default into support Maduros.

I'm not sure if I agree with their line of logic but it's not an inconsistent one.

Theres a bunch more posters in this thread than just chomsky who think the reports of Venezuelans crisis are being greatly exaggerated. gently caress, one of them kept saying the breadlines were propaganda and compared it to Iraq stories of babies being killed in hospitals.

And if you don't believe the world consensus and all the NGOs that say the citizens are starving and there is mass corruption from Maduro, then nothing anyone can say is going to change your mind anyways.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

patonthebach posted:

Theres a bunch more posters in this thread than just chomsky who think the reports of Venezuelans crisis are being greatly exaggerated. gently caress, one of them kept saying the breadlines were propaganda and compared it to Iraq stories of babies being killed in hospitals.

And if you don't believe the world consensus and all the NGOs that say the citizens are starving and there is mass corruption from Maduro, then nothing anyone can say is going to change your mind anyways.

These folks have time and time again been perfectly fine with ignoring masses of people starving and I don't expect them to stop now.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

patonthebach posted:

I’m pretty sure a majority do the global population, based on their governments, are recognizing Maduro and calling for negotiations.

No one has called into question the depth of the crisis. What has been debated are the causes and if US making it worse (they are).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Presenting Nipples posted:

No one has called into question the depth of the crisis.

They're on the verge of creating more refugees than Syria, a country destroyed by neo fascist tyrants and genocidal zealots.

I certainly hope that some sanctions that target individuals is enough to completely tank a country instead of wide scale death. If that's the truth, we're gonna see a pretty big change in warfare 2020 and onward.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 30, 2019

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

They're creating more refugees than Syria, a country destroyed by neo fascist tyrants and genocidal zealots.

And you think civil war is better than negotiations? Imagine how many more refugees there will be when war breaks out after John Bolton executes his master plan. Double bonus the US will lock them up when they get there.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
No, but I'm not exactly sure why pointing out that the depth of the crisis being known means "civil war".

A negotiated solution with Maduro stepping down would be great. But if that doesn't happen and the mass of Venezuelan opposition take up arms then time marches on.

Bolton telling the opposition to nut up and make demands means as little to me as his Chinese and Russian counterpart telling Maduro to nut up and start sticking agitators against the wall.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

No, but I'm not exactly sure why pointing out that the depth of the crisis being known means "civil war".

A negotiated solution with Maduro stepping down would be great. But if that doesn't happen and the mass of Venezuelan opposition take up arms then time marches on.

If you want negotiations then supporting the US-backed opposition is counter to that goal. Right now the US is goading war. You are the one denying that obvious reality affirmed again and again by the Trump administration.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I'm pretty sure Maduro is also goading a civil war by stealing every dollar in the country while people starve.

Things he was doing well before Trump came into office.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I'm pretty sure Maduro is also goading a civil war by stealing every dollar in the country while people starve.

Things he was doing well before Trump came into office.

By that standard the global south would be completely justified in total war against the global north. But you can keep moving the goal posts.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Ah, yes, the goal posts of "a government is responsible for it's people".

Do you also blame US Imperialism when you piss on your shoes at the urinal?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

an interesting argument to make, given the current US Venezuela czar's stance on mutilating the genitals of suspected leftists to serve as a warning to others

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Ouch, gonna need some some ice for that burn. Any government willing to hand over their sovereignty to another country, especially the US, is in fact not responsible for their people, but I’m sure you got another edgy response at the tip of your fingers.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

I’m pretty sure a majority do the global population, based on their governments, are recognizing Maduro and calling for negotiations.

No one has called into question the depth of the crisis. What has been debated are the causes and if US making it worse (they are).

Tbf the majority of global population dont give a poo poo either way about venezuela lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Squalid posted:

I'm trying to be overbearingly ingenuous Chomskyan. It's just that its hard to have a good conversation about these topics with someone who is just now learning who the Contras were.

don't be hurtful squalid, everyone knows the contras were a pair of elite dudes sent to fight alien-controlled commies in new zealand

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Three massively corrupt governments that have a long history of terrible, horrific treatment of their citizens like China Russia and North Korea support Maduro.

Well that makes things easy to decide doesn't it.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

patonthebach posted:

Three massively corrupt governments that have a long history of terrible, horrific treatment of their citizens like China Russia and North Korea support Maduro.

drat I wish I was this oblivious to the history of the US.

It’s getting derailed at this point. I’d still like to hear the justification for Guaido’s actions. In particular:

Guaidó coordinating with the Trump administration.
Guaidó’s plan to privatize the oil industry.
Guaidó pushing out elections for 9 months.
Guaidó refusing to negotiate with Mexico and Uruguay.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

patonthebach posted:

As opposed the massively corrupt government that have a long history of terrible, horrific treatment of *almost loving everyone* like the US who have instigated strife and suffering globally?

None of the flack-back bullshit is good faith.

Even if you blindfold your self to who is leading this assault and their extremely suspect self-interests, all of the US's actions are -counter- to the themes of food security, economic prosperity and self-determination.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Nah they aren't supporting Venezuela for ideological reasons (besides NK).

Its naked imperalism to take Venezuela capital and the government selling out its populace for it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

drat I wish I was this oblivious to the history of the US.

It’s getting derailed at this point. I’d still like to hear the justification for Guaido’s actions. In particular:

Guaidó coordinating with the Trump administration.
Guaidó’s plan to privatize the oil industry.
Guaidó pushing out elections for 9 months.
Guaidó refusing to negotiate with Mexico and Uruguay.

I like how you absolutely can't comprehend the concept of "there are no good players here and it's up to the Venezuelan people".

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I like how you absolutely can't comprehend the concept of "there are no good players here and it's up to the Venezuelan people".

But that.... is my position. I just don’t consider Donald Trump to be Venezuelan.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

But that.... is my position. I just don’t consider Donald Trump to be Venezuelan.

But Putin and Xi Jinping are of course.

Also, the PDVSA is currently effectively Russian and Chinese owned since it is so in hock to them. It's like proudly saying you own a house while your mortgage is underwater and the bank is in the process of repossessing it.

Anyway, I repeat that I think that any plan kicked of by Bolton and Abrams will be shady, short sighted, and ultimately require pardons for all primary people involved like the last go round. We can't stop them from sticking their oar in though. We can just hope that they end up being ineffective and that their plan falls apart hilariously without causing any atrocities.

I hope that the opposition and the protesters can pull it off this time, but it has been a escalating disaster for over half a decade now and it is the third wave of massive country wide protests. The last two couldn't crack it and despite the brouhaha Maduro seems to have a tight enough grip on the essential apparatus of the state to ride this out for now. Not seen any major cracks yet.

When should we hear about what the supreme court has to say about the situation btw?

Munin fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 30, 2019

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

COMRADES posted:

Also, which ones? This one? This one maybe? That whole link is one atrocity after another pretty much. Or was that the joke?

During the 50s-60s-70s etc. the U.S. government had a lot of direct influence within Latin American military, through funding, training, ideological indoctrination, etc. The military also had links to the ruling class and aristocracy in these countries. These ties, and the comparative strength of the military and the ruling class as an institution and group, is a big part of what made these military dictatorships and civil wars possible.

The situation is pretty different in Venezuela, where after 20 years of Chavez/Maduro government, the army is largely on the side of the current government, makes up a part of it, and as far as I know has not been trained in torture and killing of leftists by the U.S.

If there's someone armed, trained, and unwilling to lose power, that you should be worried about here, it's probably the current government.

(unless, of course, you think the current military, who is basically in power, can be swayed to murder the Chavista poor indiscriminately, which just begs the question of why you could possibly want to prop these people up in the first place)

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 30, 2019

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Whatever legitimacy the National Assembly may have previously had is gone now, they've clearly signed on full tilt with Elliot Hyper-Satan Abrams and made basically no effort to ensure they came out looking clean. A party interested in democratic process would never actually allow such a scum sucking ghoul to be declared their special envoy, like that wouldn't completely tank their domestic credibility to even be seen working with him, but they've made zero effort to walk that poo poo back even an inch. They're bought, it's over. You have all the information you need to be informed on the matter.

You can loathe Maduros fat incompetent rear end all you want but the National Assembly clearly has no remaining interest in democracy. Hope for another revolution or something but these idiots got on the podium with a megaphone to declare their intent to destroy democracy and siphon the countries remaining resources to the united states.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
One of my Venezuelan co-workers just shared this:

https://twitter.com/NoticiasVenezue/status/1090418299651928065?s=20

:stare:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Big chungus absolute unit

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I can't even imagine how sweaty Maduro must have been after they filmed that. And more generally, why is everyone in that military (?) unit overweight or obese?

Also Maduro is huge, I had no idea. 1.90m against an average male height of probably around 1.71 (based on Colombian data). That's 6'3'' for those of you who still use the units of imperialist dogs.

I always figured he was posing with shorter people to seem like a Big Man.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It's like he wants to become a Wolfenstein 3D boss.

Trump is also well qualified to become one too. He's a 190cm tall fat gently caress.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 30, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

hahahah

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

For a minute I thought he was super bullet-proofed but all that jiggling it pure fat.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Maduro is the boss at the end of every SNK game from the 80's.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
BBC Mundo has an article in Spanish about the "Noches de Plomo" (roughly, "Lead nights" as in, the nights were full of lead from regime death squads). It's about police activity in some of Caracas' poorest areas last week that included, the article alleges, things like extrajudicial killings.

Here's a quick excerpt from the article:

quote:

A 39-year-old municipal worker and father of two girls who lives in the Jose Felix Ribas barrio in Caracas said that that night was one of the worst in his life.

"People went out to protest and then the police showed up. They started to go into everyone's homes, breaking down the doors".

His was one of the chosen homes.

"The broke the door down, pointed a gun at me, put me against the wall and searched the whole house. They were totally tense movements", he recalls.

Despite everything, he was lucky.

"I saw how the police killed three people and loaded their bodies onto a truck and took them away".

"They arrested others even though they had nothing to do [with the protests]".

It seems to me like so far this year we're seeing less colectivo armado (pro-government paramilitary group) activity, and more activity from the FAES (a unit of the National Police, which is featured in the BBC Mundo article above). It looks like the FAES is filling in for the colectivos. In previous protest waves, most of the policing was done by the National Guard and the National Bolivarian Police, and the colectivos would typically come out at night to do the really dirty work. The FAES were created in July 2017, and from what we've seen so far, I think that the government has a pretty clear role for them in mind vis a vis the protests.

Blue Nation posted:

For a minute I thought he was super bullet-proofed but all that jiggling it pure fat.

I think that the dudes around Maduro are pretty big too, but they look normal-sized standing next to our large adult president.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Typical Pubbie posted:

Maduro is the boss at the end of every SNK game from the 80's.

But, luckily, Bolton is player 2 in defeating him!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

patonthebach posted:

yeah there's also some other tankies itt that's true

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

how come he's so fat if his people are starving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Saladman posted:

I can't even imagine how sweaty Maduro must have been after they filmed that. And more generally, why is everyone in that military (?) unit overweight or obese

Hmm I wonder why that is. Half the country is starving but the ruling class is chunky? Odd.

Maybe the leaders are super corrupt and stealing all the food and resources from the citizens.

I don't know why the die hard commies areally defending this fact gently caress when he runs the country more like saddam than castro

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 30, 2019