Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

Thanks for the insight. I usually end up with 3 2handers or 2 2handers and a duelist; and 4 1h+ shield guys in the front line, and 2 bowmen, 2 crossbowmen, and a sergeant in the rear. I suspect I'll end up sticking with heavy armor in the front; but I'll consider nimble for the sergeant, and it's good to know I can skip dodge with the archers - that means I can now safely ignore initiative as well

There is the rapier thing which gives more damage the more initiative you have, and dagger bro's that can toss 3x overwhelms on a turn to consider there as well, but yea, still pretty niche. Fun to play around with when you find a bro that would be excellent for it, but not your bread and butter builds.

I used to build heavy armor archers the stood in the front and sniped the soft targets, but now I put bone plating on them instead, and use rotation to pull them out. Nimble, overwhelm, dodge and anticipation makes them pretty tanky, without having to spend tons of fatigue on armor. Better, more useful archers overall IMO.

Wizard Styles posted:

The only Nimble two-hander I had so far was my Nimble + Battle Forged bro. I'm pretty sure a two-hander with just Nimble would absolutely need something against ranged attacks, so Quick Hands or Anticipation. Maybe even Dodge. (Same for Duelists, but I give all my Duelists Quick Hands.)

I have one nimble two-hander with 66HP that's high on shrooms most battles. No steel brow, battle forged or colossus. Adrenaline+Recover+Indomitable makes it possible to keep him lurking in the back for the opening salvos, pop shrooms and then jump forward, hit off adrenaline :black101: Tons of damage when he lets loose. I've been expecting Man With Crossbow to off him any time now, but I guess he's been lucky. Really cheap cultist so I'll keep him around until Davkul claims him :v:
[Edit] Build clarifications. Hadn't played that campaign for a while and went back for a look.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
so i'm really new to this game and have a few battle tactics beginner questions. i don't know much of anything about builds yet, as a note.

1; my go to strategy is to set up a spear/and or shield wall with some frontliners, with a heavy on each flank and some backline archers and pikemen. this works alright so far but i assume when the enemies aren't dudes with clubs in rags and dumbass wolves it'll probably fall apart. is this right and should i be working towards something else?

2; my 2-handers tend to go down pretty quickly when the enemy has a chance to swing back, is this normal or should i be equipping them with shields and turtling them into range?

3; what's a good frontline/backline split numbers wise? 50/50, 60/40? is it more situational?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
With all the chattery regarding nimble, has anyone tried using nimble builds against Schrats? I used an early game expendable dodge nimble bro as a sacrificial lamb and gawked as he basically ignored multiple schrats bearing down on him. It was only one battle but it played out so insane that I'm not sure if I found "that one special trick that drives ents crazy" or if it's just me flipping heads an improbable number of times.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Million Ghosts posted:

so i'm really new to this game and have a few battle tactics beginner questions. i don't know much of anything about builds yet, as a note.

1; my go to strategy is to set up a spear/and or shield wall with some frontliners, with a heavy on each flank and some backline archers and pikemen. this works alright so far but i assume when the enemies aren't dudes with clubs in rags and dumbass wolves it'll probably fall apart. is this right and should i be working towards something else?

2; my 2-handers tend to go down pretty quickly when the enemy has a chance to swing back, is this normal or should i be equipping them with shields and turtling them into range?

3; what's a good frontline/backline split numbers wise? 50/50, 60/40? is it more situational?

for #1, put your spearmen on the flanks and your heavy hitters in the middle of the line

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

1. Spears are great early on due to the accuracy bonus and spearwall against dumb enemies like nachzehrer and wolves but their poor damage means you're going to want to replace them as your guys level up and you get nicer loot. Flails are great for when you start retiring spears as they ignore shields and get a bonus to headshotting which is wonderful against raiders.

2. For a newer player you should probably just ignore 2-handers for the time being. You really need good armor (say 200+ durability) and a good bit of leveling before they're worth it. A lot of early 2-handers just aren't very good anyway. Note that this doesn't apply to polearms.

3. It's really up to playstyle but as long as you're able to keep the enemy from flanking your archers and pikes you should be fine. Keep in mind that any individual dude on the field will incur negative morale checks and become an easier target when they engage more than one opponent at once so it can hurt to have your frontline guys surrounded. Conversely, having more guys in the melee will make your enemies suffer those effects.

I recommend checking out HA's guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902880552. Lots of good advice there and was a big help when I started playing.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Clark Nova posted:

for #1, put your spearmen on the flanks and your heavy hitters in the middle of the line

duh, that's so obvious i can't believe i hosed it up

thanks, very helpful!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

You've already got some answers but I'll throw mine in as well.

1. Spears are good at the beginning of the game when your guys can't hit a brick wall because their basic attack gets +20% to hit, but their damage sucks. I typically give spears to bros until they hit around 60 melee attack, then switch them to another weapon. Swords are also good for early-game bros because they get +10% to hit with their basic attack. Axes are another good choice because their secondary attack, Split Shield, has a 100% chance to hit and using it until your enemy's shields break will help your terrible accuracy bros hit them. Be careful though because this also means they will hit a lot harder, so you want to make sure you either do this to an enemy with a bad weapon or have enough bros nearby to kill them very quickly. Flails are good once you get someone with 60+ melee attack (usually one of your starting melee bros) because a lot of bandit raiders spawn with no helmets and using the flail's secondary attack to target the head can get you an instant kill and lets you get all their gear with no damage to it, which can help get you the medium armour you need to survive the midgame, or sell it for more gold than damaged gear.

Also, shieldwall seems good at the beginning of the game but it's kind of situational and you definitely don't want to be using it all the time because it will exhaust your bros very quickly. When I first started playing this game I did shieldwall all the time and lost tons of bros because they got tired and died. Once I stopped doing that I lost way fewer bros. In most cases you'll be better off with each of your bros using their AP and fatigue to attack instead of shieldwall, because then the enemies will die faster and do less damage in the long run. This is of course not always true and especially if you build dedicated tanks with high defence and fatigue, using them to tie down tough enemies and shieldwall until others can come support them is a good tactic.

2. Early in the game 2-handers are arrow magnets and will almost definitely eat an unlucky hit or two and die. Conversely, early-game 2-handed weapons kinda suck anyway. Give them a shield and one-hander or a polearm, but remember that you want them to be a 2-hander and give them levelups to match. 2-handers absolutely need high melee defence and at least some ranged defence just in order to not die, so wait until your bro has some decent levels in their defence stats and some good defensive perks like Colossus, Steel Brow, Anticipation, Underdog, Nimble, or Battleforged (note: don't take all of these, those are just examples of defensive perks that can keep a two-hander from not dying) before switching them over to their real 2-hander weapon.

3. It's situational but my default that works in probably 90% of fights is 7 frontline, 5 backline. I usually train three archers so in my backline I'll have the choice of 3 archers/2 polearms or 3 polearms/2 archers or, in some fights where range isn't important, I'll reserve all my archers and usually have 3 or 4 polearms and 1 or 2 extra frontliners. Archers in the centre, polearm users on the sides just in case you get flanked by a quick enemy, so they won't be in immediate contact with your vulnerable archers.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 28, 2019

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

vyelkin posted:

You've already got some answers but I'll throw mine in as well.

1. Spears are good at the beginning of the game when your guys can't hit a brick wall because their basic attack gets +20% to hit, but their damage sucks. I typically give spears to bros until they hit around 60 melee attack, then switch them to another weapon. Swords are also good for early-game bros because they get +10% to hit with their basic attack. Axes are another good choice because their secondary attack, Split Shield, has a 100% chance to hit and using it until your enemy's shields break will help your terrible accuracy bros hit them. Be careful though because this also means they will hit a lot harder, so you want to make sure you either do this to an enemy with a bad weapon or have enough bros nearby to kill them very quickly. Flails are good once you get someone with 60+ melee attack (usually one of your starting melee bros) because a lot of bandit raiders spawn with no helmets and using the flail's secondary attack to target the head can get you an instant kill and lets you get all their gear with no damage to it, which can help get you the medium armour you need to survive the midgame, or sell it for more gold than damaged gear.

Also, shieldwall seems good at the beginning of the game but it's kind of situational and you definitely don't want to be using it all the time because it will exhaust your bros very quickly. When I first started playing this game I did shieldwall all the time and lost tons of bros because they got tired and died. Once I stopped doing that I lost way fewer bros. In most cases you'll be better off with each of your bros using their AP and fatigue to attack instead of shieldwall, because then the enemies will die faster and do less damage in the long run. This is of course not always true and especially if you build dedicated tanks with high defence and fatigue, using them to tie down tough enemies and shieldwall until others can come support them is a good tactic.

2. Early in the game 2-handers are arrow magnets and will almost definitely eat an unlucky hit or two and die. Conversely, early-game 2-handed weapons kinda suck anyway. Give them a shield and one-hander or a polearm, but remember that you want them to be a 2-hander and give them levelups to match. 2-handers absolutely need high melee defence and at least some ranged defence just in order to not die, so wait until your bro has some decent levels in their defence stats and some good defensive perks like Colossus, Steel Brow, Anticipation, Underdog, Nimble, or Battleforged (note: don't take all of these, those are just examples of defensive perks that can keep a two-hander from not dying) before switching them over to their real 2-hander weapon.

3. It's situational but my default that works in probably 90% of fights is 7 frontline, 5 backline. I usually train three archers so in my backline I'll have the choice of 3 archers/2 polearms or 3 polearms/2 archers or, in some fights where range isn't important, I'll reserve all my archers and usually have 3 or 4 polearms and 1 or 2 extra frontliners. Archers in the centre, polearm users on the sides just in case you get flanked by a quick enemy, so they won't be in immediate contact with your vulnerable archers.

Small tweak to early game stuff: Polearms are legit great early game ATM. Putting pitchfork on a guy who you want to keep away from the early game melee-mish-mash and letting him poke is a good way to let them contribute meaningfully and stay safe.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah polearms are great, especially on high-value bros who you don't want dying to an unlucky hit before you have good armour. Especially once you get past pitchforks and start picking up real polearms from bandit raiders, a pike or a hooked blade can add some serious damage potential to an early-game company that's still poking people with spears.

Later on, once I have a group of mid-level frontliners, I'll start almost every level 1 melee bro out with a polearm for their first 6 levels or so, because until they get those stat boosts and perks under their belts they just won't survive in the frontline even with good armour.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
It's also worth noting that crossbows have a +15% hit bonus, and is therefore good for training up archers before they hit 75+ range skill. If you lack crossbows and find some good archer bros, a pike is also decent while leveling even if you don't intend to level melee attack(which in my opinion is wasted on dedicated archers).
Edit: Typos and clarification

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 28, 2019

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
thanks for all the tips! after looking over my team and seeing where their affinities are, it turns out all my archers are better at melee than my frontliners, and all my frontliners are cowardly babies with no defense. time for a restart where i actually pay some attention.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So Gridlocked and I have been playing on a variety of hell seeds.
I've been in spiderhell (was alright), goblinhell (good) and orchell (not so good but it was a fun run with some amazing bros). Gridlocked I know was in Abaddon, and that's a decent seed as well. Also goonhell/Goonhell/GoonHell/GOONHELL/idk, which I think was okay?

Now, in honor of the thread's obsession with Man with Crossbow, I have visited XbowHell.
Which I have just submitted to the seed bank site (not up yet).

Starting bros aren't the most exciting (shield bro has Deathwish, other two no traits), but they do have decent stats.
Lots of good trading goods, including a Gem Mine and 5 Salt Mines. Cities/Citadels in good locations to sell.
9 Armorers, 3 Fletchers, 6 Weaponsmiths. One of the Armorers is in the starting village, making it easy enough to get decent armor early on.
5 Temples spread around the map, every noble house has one.
Good amount of Taverns near wilderness regions to gather useful rumors.
Decent number of Workshops but only one in the southern half of the map.
The main drawback I have found so far is the lack of ranged recruits. There's one Hunter's Cabin, one Trapper, and that's unfortunately it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Try CityOfDis too kids

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
How the loving hell are you supposed to fight Alps when they can each spawn 2 nightmares per turn, effectively keeping you surrounded and spawning them faster than you can kill them? my 10 man party was ambushed by 8 of the fuckers in the night; and my guys started the fight completely surrounded...

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The Lord Bude posted:

How the loving hell are you supposed to fight Alps when they can each spawn 2 nightmares per turn, effectively keeping you surrounded and spawning them faster than you can kill them?
:smuggo: Easy, you just don--

quote:

my 10 man party was ambushed by 8 of the fuckers in the night; and my guys started the fight completely surrounded...
Oh. RIP.

gently caress Alps.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Reload the auto save and give everyone spears, swords, and daggers. No shields. Basically you want to maximize your to-hit chance and max fatigue. Keep your guys close together, at most splitting into two groups.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Reload the auto save and give everyone spears, swords, and daggers. No shields. Basically you want to maximize your to-hit chance and max fatigue. Keep your guys close together, at most splitting into two groups.

I ended up reloading from a save 5 mins earlier, then waiting till dawn to travel between the two cities. All my front liners have a dagger to use for capturing nice armor; but other than that I don't commonly travel with a variety of extra weapons. Even if I'd done that though I'm not sure how much help it would have been - 4 of my 10 were archers; so they wouldn't have been able to hit the broad side of a barn with melee weapons. 8 alps vs 10 of my men were spawning 16 nightmares every turn, starting turn 1 since they ambushed me. And because I was surrounded; they were spawning on both sides of my lines, so I couldn't even have any of my guys tank them while others moved away.

Edit: maybe I need to deploy doggos

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Word to the wise: don't accidentally piss off two of the three sides in the noble war. I just fought off one batallion of house troops, narrowly dodged another.. only to wade face-first into a group of mercs with a swordmaster :gonk:

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

How the loving hell are you supposed to fight Alps when they can each spawn 2 nightmares per turn, effectively keeping you surrounded and spawning them faster than you can kill them? my 10 man party was ambushed by 8 of the fuckers in the night; and my guys started the fight completely surrounded...

Yea, It's crazy. I made a post about this back in the thread somewhere. I managed to beat the max amount by reloading, equipping pikes spears and daggers and undressed all the dudes for more fatigue. Still had to reload X amount of times before I found a good way to beat them. Don't think It's something I can pull off without savescumming TBH.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

The Lord Bude posted:

Edit: maybe I need to deploy doggos

Nothing chases away nightmares like your bestest dog buddy

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Nothing chases away nightmares like your bestest dog buddy

This turned out to be completely correct! I’ve never used dogs before really - I’ve always found them a waste - maybe good for chasing down an escaping archer, but rarely useful in a real fight. But lol and behold; I had a contract to wait in a village and be ambushed by 6 alps; and dogs made mincemeat out of it. I bought 12 dogs; unleashed them all, and they tore the nightmares apart.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

The Lord Bude posted:

This turned out to be completely correct! I’ve never used dogs before really - I’ve always found them a waste - maybe good for chasing down an escaping archer, but rarely useful in a real fight. But lol and behold; I had a contract to wait in a village and be ambushed by 6 alps; and dogs made mincemeat out of it. I bought 12 dogs; unleashed them all, and they tore the nightmares apart.

Dogs can be surprisingly useful, you can drop them near a brother who is in danger to hopefully take the next hit or so. They can tank unhold for a bit as well.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Dogs can also do decent health damage when you've stripped the armor off of something, or can finish off an archer/wounded guy and help break morale.

Don't understimate doggos, they are a bro's best friend.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah dogs are the best. I was stuck in a difficult spot and used them to break through it. I now make a point of getting a full complement of battledoggos to sick on the enemy to soften them up before my battle bros get in range to attack them.

Not as effective against big groups of goblins because they tend to have poisoned weapons that make short work of the dog swarm, but it's damage the battle bros don't have to take.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey guys, I am enjoying this game, and I decided to go ahead and just get the DLC. However, only after buying it and loading my game does it say that not all of the DLC features are available unless I start over. I'm like twenty hours in, which I know to some is not very much, but I have ADHD so for me twenty hours is like a monumental achievement. It doesn't say what features are still included with loading my old save, but at first glance I can't see anything different. I'm really not interested in starting over. I worry that this is one of those times where it is easier to say "not all of the features..." when they really mean "none of the features." Can anyone lend some insight on what DLC features I will and will not be enjoying?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Hey guys, I am enjoying this game, and I decided to go ahead and just get the DLC. However, only after buying it and loading my game does it say that not all of the DLC features are available unless I start over. I'm like twenty hours in, which I know to some is not very much, but I have ADHD so for me twenty hours is like a monumental achievement. It doesn't say what features are still included with loading my old save, but at first glance I can't see anything different. I'm really not interested in starting over. I worry that this is one of those times where it is easier to say "not all of the features..." when they really mean "none of the features." Can anyone lend some insight on what DLC features I will and will not be enjoying?

You definitely won’t be getting any of the new enemies; or I guess missions related to them. You also won’t get the taxidermist (and by extension any of the craftable items) since they would have had to be placed in towns when the map was created.

You might see some of the new weapons and armour types appearing in the game; possibly also the changes to various perks that were patched in.

So basically gently caress all. But if it’s any consolation this isn’t the sort of game that you finish and then never touch again. Especially given this is your first play through, it’s unlikely you’d have gone long term on your first run

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm savescumming the poo poo out of this, so yeah, this is still my first company, and probably my last. This is one of the funnest games I've played in a long time, but it's too hard for me to start over on things after I've put in more than twenty minutes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

credburn posted:

I'm savescumming the poo poo out of this, so yeah, this is still my first company, and probably my last. This is one of the funnest games I've played in a long time, but it's too hard for me to start over on things after I've put in more than twenty minutes.

You have picked the wrong game. Grats on your objectively bad choices.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Gridlocked posted:

You have picked the wrong game. Grats on your objectively bad choices.

Sounds like he's got his money's worth of enjoyment out of it though :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m on about 300 hours. The value for money and replayability on this game is insane.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

credburn posted:

The Lord Bude posted:

You definitely won’t be getting any of the new enemies; or I guess missions related to them. You also won’t get the taxidermist (and by extension any of the craftable items) since they would have had to be placed in towns when the map was created.

You might see some of the new weapons and armour types appearing in the game; possibly also the changes to various perks that were patched in.

So basically gently caress all. But if it’s any consolation this isn’t the sort of game that you finish and then never touch again. Especially given this is your first play through, it’s unlikely you’d have gone long term on your first run

I have to correct you there, after a few days new enemies do spawn, and you can get quests related to them. I was in the same situation as credburn (got the game, played a bunch, decided to buy the DLC) and I can 100% guarantee you will see those guys with the DLC on a pre-DLC save.

What you won't get are the new DLC locations, Taxidermists and the larger map.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

credburn posted:

Think of starting over as "New Game Plus". It is honestly really fun to pick up a new band of bros and try to smash the early game using what you learned in previous runs. However, if you are still enjoying your current play through just keep playing!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
1333 hours here, and I haven't tired of it at all. I have ADHD too, for what it's worth.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

credburn posted:

By all means, keep playing until you've seen the first endgame crisis, but you'll miss out on a lot more than just DLC content if you keep playing that one save forever.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've got something like 80 hours in this game and have only had a couple of games make it over the 100 day mark. Ditch your company, play ironman. The next dozen companies will last about an hour until you experience a total wipe but you will learn so much more and the wins will matter so much more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Don't think of it as starting over. Think of it as starting an alternate, additional company.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I have 300 hours in this game because it's one of the best games I know for simultaneously being one you can lose a whole day playing on your day off and one where you can play for an hour in the evening when your day is really busy.

I take pretty much all my companies deep into the super late game though, there's nothing I love more in this game than having a company of 20 wrecking balls decked out with uniques chewing through 30 orcs at a time. So that 300 hours is only like three full playthroughs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Alchenar posted:

I've got something like 80 hours in this game and have only had a couple of games make it over the 100 day mark. Ditch your company, play ironman. The next dozen companies will last about an hour until you experience a total wipe but you will learn so much more and the wins will matter so much more.

I did this, ended up getting real bitter and calling my companies a series of more and more insulting names. Ended up that the "dumbshit fucks" got through the first crisis on ironman

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

dogstile posted:

I did this, ended up getting real bitter and calling my companies a series of more and more insulting names. Ended up that the "dumbshit fucks" got through the first crisis on ironman

When my archers miss six 85% shots in a row I start swearing out loud. Sometimes I just toss out un-supportive sarcastic comments like 'good job guys, nice effort" when my bros manage to all whiff on a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh poo poo it's 201 hours. Now I feel bad for not actually getting past a first crisis in a game.