Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Okay now I feel better about not caring about it.

What’s a good Jackie Chan movie to start on, I’ve only seen The Tuxedo. Police Story and Rumble in the Bronx are the two I know by name.

There are a shitton, but two of my personal favorites are Armor of God 2: Operation Condor and Wheels on Meals. Both are goofy as hell (the former's more funny but the latter has sillier setpieces), both are fun as hell, both have him at the absolute top of his game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Franchescanado posted:

My best friend is a mailman, and the pay and benefits are insane. They pretty much just accumulate vacation and sick time with no cap, so if the weather gets bad, they can just call out and leave it to one of the rookies or other carriers, or I believe sometimes they get Holiday Pay for days with terrible weather.

I have seriously considered quitting my job to become a mailman. The first year is terrible, and the future is iffy for people getting into the career now, but my buddy's gonna be looking at retiring at, like, 40.

That rules. Still wouldn't go out in -50 degrees for it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Coffee And Pie posted:

What’s a good Jackie Chan movie to start on, I’ve only seen The Tuxedo. Police Story and Rumble in the Bronx are the two I know by name.

Project A is a pretty good encapsulation of his style, plus it costars Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. I think it’s as good a starting point as any (I haven’t seen Police Story, waiting for the Criterion). Drunken Master 2 is probably his best that I’ve seen but you gotta work up to that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Either of those work, I think Police Story is better, but it's been a while. Legend of the Drunken Master and Who Am I are 2 other really good ones.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

That rules. Still wouldn't go out in -50 degrees for it.

We live in Florida. So the worst it gets (like today) is the low 30's.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
jackie chan was on a whole other level from the 80s to the mid-to-late 90s, I don't think I'll see a guy like him for the rest of my life

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh gross. My office is going to start letting winners of internal contests select a Funko Pop to put on a trophy shelf :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Someone mentioned that Can You Ever Forgive Me was good. They are right.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

therattle posted:

It's legit disappointing that it got locked out of the Oscar Best Picture race when it's absolutely one of the best mainstream dramas of the year.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Coffee And Pie posted:

Drunken Master 2 (aka The Legend of Drunken), has some of the greatest fight and action sequences of any film.
Who Am I?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alternative Best Picture list with films that were nominated in other categories.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
If Beale Street Could Talk
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Cold War
The Favourite
First Reformed
Roma
A Star is Born

Seriously, no loving excuses this year.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Super Dope.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

therattle posted:

I had never heard of if before, I'm definitely checking it out. Seeing Jane Curtin on the trailer really gave me a "who's that from?" moment

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw Rumble in the Bronx about half a year ago and it was a very very good time. Silly as hell. I don’t think it’s Chan’s most impressive but it’s definitely another one where he looks beat-up as hell at points

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Franchescanado posted:

Sure, if you just ignore the some of the greatest and most influential horror films ever made.

Just because zombies have mostly been lame since 2011 doesn't mean zombies are bad.

There are good zombie films, I just think the concept as executed lends itself to stories about "authentic" humans versus an uncommunicative, primitive other who can be dealt with only via violence, and whatever framework you build on top of that to undercut it or satirise it, it's uncomfortably close to the narratives we use to make the material conditions of migrants and refugees worse.

To put it bluntly, I think zombies are too objectivist for Zack Snyder.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Escobarbarian posted:

I saw Rumble in the Bronx about half a year ago and it was a very very good time. Silly as hell. I don’t think it’s Chan’s most impressive but it’s definitely another one where he looks beat-up as hell at points

He broke his leg shooting one of the earliest scenes in production order. Check out some scenes in the movie where, if you pause it, you’ll notice he’s wearing a leg cast painted like a sneaker.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

I missed my chance to see this back in December at the local indie.

Is it available for rent anywhere? Or are ya'll catching it in theaters/screeners?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Honest Thief posted:

Most adaptions just lift the manga script entirely, and some authors rely on it more than others to convey information. Also, it pads out the running time

"Pads out the running time" is a big part of it, along with spoken exposition being much cheaper that animated action. Gotta stretch that story over however many episodes, and gotta stretch each episodes allotted budget over 22 minutes.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

"Pads out the running time" is a big part of it, along with spoken exposition being much cheaper that animated action. Gotta stretch that story over however many episodes, and gotta stretch each episodes allotted budget over 22 minutes.

In terms of money as well anime is mostly an advertisement for the comics, which is the opposite somewhat of how adaptations work in the US a lot of the time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

Jesus. It's so cold that the USPS canceled mail delivery across about half of Wisconsin and most of northern Illinois.

not closed: a single Marcus Theater

i've been yelling at them on Twitter to no avail

edit: this is from Milwaukee but it perfectly illustrates my point

the worst part IMO is the free hot chocolate. it's the perfect token to say "look we care about people we're giving them a free hot drink" but if they really cared about people they wouldn't convince them to go out in the Gross Death Weather in the first place. And if they want to say "well we're providing a warm place for people to spend time today if they have to be out" they can get hosed because if they really wanted that they'd open up the doors for free.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

I missed my chance to see this back in December at the local indie.

Is it available for rent anywhere? Or are ya'll catching it in theaters/screeners?

I got a screener. It's a smart, well-written, well-acted adult drama with some comedic moments as well as some tension, and it's not scared to show us complex, sometimes unpleasant main characters. It feels like it accomplishes exactly what it set out to.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DC Murderverse posted:

not closed: a single Marcus Theater

i've been yelling at them on Twitter to no avail

edit: this is from Milwaukee but it perfectly illustrates my point

the worst part IMO is the free hot chocolate. it's the perfect token to say "look we care about people we're giving them a free hot drink" but if they really cared about people they wouldn't convince them to go out in the Gross Death Weather in the first place. And if they want to say "well we're providing a warm place for people tol spend time today if they have to be out" they can get hosed because if they really wanted that they'd open up the doors for free.

I feel like there'd be studio complications if a theater decided to do free screenings just because it's cold, plus that could have the effect of encouraging people to leave the house. There's a line between offering someone a token to show appreciation and an inducement to commit an act the person wouldn't otherwise commit and I feel like offering free showings really crosses that line.

I don't really have an issue with them offering cocoa to patrons who manage to come in, but they better be loving making accommodations for employees, like no penalties for calling out and at least free cocoa or coffee for the ones that do come in.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't really have an issue with them offering cocoa to patrons who manage to come in, but they better be loving making accommodations for employees, like no penalties for calling out and at least free cocoa or coffee for the ones that do come in.

Their CEO shows up in their promotional material before the movies start sometimes and he is always smiling and making bad jokes in an attempt to appear like a regular guy so he's undoubtedly a complete psycho in reality. I would be very surprised if they are doing anything to make accommodations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

I feel like there'd be studio complications if a theater decided to do free screenings just because it's cold, plus that could have the effect of encouraging people to leave the house. There's a line between offering someone a token to show appreciation and an inducement to commit an act the person wouldn't otherwise commit and I feel like offering free showings really crosses that line.

IMO anything short of closing is irresponsible, as the act of being open when no one else is is a statement basically saying "we know everyone else is closed so everyone who wants to leave the house should come here and give us money!" instead of closing because no one should be leaving their loving house.

i mean it's a drat Wednesday, you're not missing that much anyways. We have no special deals on Wednesday, and they're typically our least busy day. It would be trivial to say "we care about the safety of our employees and so we are cancelling all our shows, everyone should stay in their homes because the weather outside is dangerous." You are a movie theater. You are not essential. You can close for one day. Our management got an email last night with all sorts of "tips" like "make sure to start your car with plenty of time before you leave so you can make it to work on time" and "make sure to go out and start your car every 90-120 minutes so it will stay warm/be more likely to start when you leave" and "have tools in the theater in case customers have cars that don't start after their movies" and like at that point why don't you just take the hint from Mother Nature and shut down so no one will have to worry about their car starting?

edit: the university is closed. the postal service isn't working. the few government buildings that are open have cancelled all of their actual programming and are basically functioning as warm buildings for people who literally have nowhere else to go so they don't freeze to death on the streets. The government is all but screaming "DO NOT LEAVE YOUR loving HOUSES" and all of the truly heinous business owners are yelling "IGNORE THEM, LEAVE YOUR HOUSES AND GIVE US MONEY". It's one thing if you're a grocery store and are responsible for proving people with food, or a hospital, responsible for keeping people alive/healthy, but a movie theater cannot even being to claim they're an essential service and should shut the gently caress down.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 30, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/BarryJenkins/status/1090654569535758336?s=19

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Flying Zamboni posted:

Their CEO shows up in their promotional material before the movies start sometimes and he is always smiling and making bad jokes in an attempt to appear like a regular guy so he's undoubtedly a complete psycho in reality. I would be very surprised if they are doing anything to make accommodations.

Most CEOs are out of touch psychos so yeah of course, but that's the issue I take.

DC Murderverse posted:

IMO anything short of closing is irresponsible, as the act of being open when no one else is is a statement basically saying "we know everyone else is closed so everyone who wants to leave the house should come here and give us money!" instead of closing because no one should be leaving their loving house.

i mean it's a drat Wednesday, you're not missing that much anyways. We have no special deals on Wednesday, and they're typically our least busy day. It would be trivial to say "we care about the safety of our employees and so we are cancelling all our shows, everyone should stay in their homes because the weather outside is dangerous." You are a movie theater. You are not essential. You can close for one day. Our management got an email last night with all sorts of "tips" like "make sure to start your car with plenty of time before you leave so you can make it to work on time" and "make sure to go out and start your car every 90-120 minutes so it will stay warm/be more likely to start when you leave" and "have tools in the theater in case customers have cars that don't start after their movies" and like at that point why don't you just take the hint from Mother Nature and shut down so no one will have to worry about their car starting?

Okay, but did they make any accommodations for employees? If people want to go outside like idiots then that's on them, it's paternalistic to try and dictate people's safety while disregarding their autonomy like that. I'm sure the theater could run on an extreme skeleton crew if they had to given the number of people coming in so if 4 people want to go in to work that day and still get a paycheck I wouldn't deny them that.

If they expecting everyone to come in no matter what and not cutting employees any breaks (and I'm guessing that's exactly how it's happening) then fuuuuuuck them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Flying Zamboni posted:

Oh, my God, I remember back around Christmas 2017 there was this horrible sketch of him trying to play the piano and wish the audience a happy holiday season. I was slack-jawed to the point that my ex-wife thought I might be having a stroke.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Peacoffee posted:

In terms of money as well anime is mostly an advertisement for the comics, which is the opposite somewhat of how adaptations work in the US a lot of the time.

Yeah, and a lot of anime can be identified not only by it's content but by how it's getting it's funding. For example, you can make a solid guess if a show is promoting an ongoing 50+ volume forever comic, a comic that ran for 8 volumes and then ended, or a toy series, or whatever else just by the style and quality of the animation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Most CEOs are out of touch psychos so yeah of course, but that's the issue I take.

Okay, but did they make any accommodations for employees? If people want to go outside like idiots then that's on them, it's paternalistic to try and dictate people's safety while disregarding their autonomy like that. I'm sure the theater could run on an extreme skeleton crew if they had to given the number of people coming in so if 4 people want to go in to work that day and still get a paycheck I wouldn't deny them that.

If they expecting everyone to come in no matter what and not cutting employees any breaks (and I'm guessing that's exactly how it's happening) then fuuuuuuck them.

yeah, my actual manager sent out a really wishy washy email that was like "well if you really have absolutely no way to come in then i guess email us and tell us" but of the four or five people scheduled to go in today only one of them took a shift of their own volition, everyone else is just like "well I hope they close but I'm on the schedule so i have to go in". No real sorts of accomodations. just this:

quote:

Hello!

Luckily, we will be opened the next few days. Please don't freeze to death.

If you need a ride home, let someone know.

make sure you are prepared for your car not starting before work, meaning have a plan B. Thus, if you find out your car doesn't start five minutes before the shift and call us saying you do not know what to do, that is gonna be on you 100%. Get up early in the morning to check everything. If you did everything and still do not know how to make it to work, call me, but do it AHEAD OF TIME.

Again, stay warm. If we close on one of the days, you will find out immediately. Fingers crossed.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Reading Roger Ebert's review of the 1990 John Frankenheimer movie The Fourth War, starring Roy Scheider (check it out, it's filmed in Alberta in the winter , a great movie for a day like to day) and Ebert knew what was up:

"Movies like "The Fourth War" are a reminder that Hollywood is running low on villains. The Nazis were always reliable, but World War II ended 45 years ago. Now the Cold War is winding down, and just when "Lethal Weapon 2" introduced South African diplomats as bad guys, de Klerk came along to make that approach unpredictable. Drug dealers are wearing out their welcome. Bad cops are a cliche. Suggestions?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QsaH8BAGSE

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Escobarbarian posted:

If you want to see Jackie beat-up, watch The Young Master. The final fight is roughly 20 minutes of the main villain kicking his rear end until Jackie finally gets the upper hand because he's just too drat stubborn to lose.

SimonCat posted:

"Movies like "The Fourth War" are a reminder that Hollywood is running low on villains. The Nazis were always reliable, but World War II ended 45 years ago. Now the Cold War is winding down, and just when "Lethal Weapon 2" introduced South African diplomats as bad guys, de Klerk came along to make that approach unpredictable. Drug dealers are wearing out their welcome. Bad cops are a cliche. Suggestions?"

9/11 was the best thing that could have happened to the US action movie industry.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gotta see my baby girl in 3D today!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SimonCat posted:

Reading Roger Ebert's review of the 1990 John Frankenheimer movie The Fourth War, starring Roy Scheider (check it out, it's filmed in Alberta in the winter , a great movie for a day like to day) and Ebert knew what was up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QsaH8BAGSE

it's a good thing that Roger didn't live long enough to see Nazis become relevant again

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Peacoffee posted:

This is also why all the best anime is original IPs made by weirdo auteurs like Satoshi Kon or Masaaki Yuasa. Sometimes stuff for kids has some genuinely cool artistic flourishes in it, but ultimately people shouldn't act so surprised when the Japanese equivalent of Harry Potter and/or Teen Titans is trash. (Similarly, if it has a big enough audience to get a dub, it's probably pablum, although this isn't quite as true now as it was a decade ago.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

McCloud posted:

This but unironically

You're going to have a very long wait.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you’re gonna watch any Raimi during the Polar Vortex, watch A Simple Plan aka Raimi Does Fargo. Fargo’s a good pick, too.

You can probably blame people’s love of Queen for how disastrous Suicide Squad is.

Captain Boomerang should have been played by that guy who sings Smoko.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He asked to be left alone

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Is there a Zack Snyder thread we can quarantine all Snyder discussion to? "The Snyderdome" perhaps

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish. Please make one.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I would but then I'd feel responsible for whatever happens in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

Oh gross. My office is going to start letting winners of internal contests select a Funko Pop to put on a trophy shelf :(

They make a Black Phillip from "The Witch" Funko Pop so make sure you win a contest and get to choose that one so that it's awkward and maybe even becomes a religious question and the whole project gets shitcanned. Problem solved.