Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Devor posted:

Craft of the Titans 2 had some story to it, but had absolutely garbage performance for a combat-centric mod. Looks like it's still being updated, so I'll give it another try

I actually jumped into CotT2 again. The dev stripped out lycanites godawful mobs and replaced them with Grimoire of Gaia's semi-awful mobs-with-anime-tits.

The intro is also stripped down and much faster, and the actual overworld isn't a murderfest of infinite wild dogs. Infernal bears are still a thing of course.

Mainly I just like breeding chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Grimoire of Gaia's anime tits make me laugh every time I remember them.

The boobs are cubes!! Someone worked so hard on cube boobs! :laffo:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does SevTech Ages have much in the way of unified/expandable inventory storage early on, or is it all shifted to much later in the pack's progression?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

minecraft: come for the mods, stay for the cube boobs (cuubs, as the insiders call them)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Does SevTech Ages have much in the way of unified/expandable inventory storage early on, or is it all shifted to much later in the pack's progression?

You don't get regular rear end chests until the second age, IIRC. I forget when AE2 unlocks but I want to say it's age 5.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Are we finally at the point now where to play PO3 or Enigmatica 2 we need 16 GB of RAM?

I was meaning on getting a new stick soon anyway, but it just seems nuts that it's so drat taxing on my computer.

Exoria is a great story pack, but Blightfall was definitely more linear with a preset world.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Are we finally at the point now where to play PO3 or Enigmatica 2 we need 16 GB of RAM?

I was meaning on getting a new stick soon anyway, but it just seems nuts that it's so drat taxing on my computer.

Exoria is a great story pack, but Blightfall was definitely more linear with a preset world.

I mean, in your computer, that wouldn't hurt

8GB allocated will make it quite happy, but that doesn't leave anything for your video card and system if you only have 8GB installed

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Maybe. These are gigantic packs, having 200+ mods, so I'm not surprised that they are a strain. There are packs that are smaller if you're running on a potato. My computer's five years old and I have no problems.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ciaphas posted:

Age 3 has the first true sorting system with Storage Drawers and its controller. Age 4 is when you really start getting into the meat of automation and mass storage though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

greententacle posted:

Usually when I start a new pack, I quickly make a base near spawn, like just start tunneling into the nearest hill & wack a door on. I consider it a temporary base, so it's all just functional and I'm not worrying about making it look nice. Then later on when I'm swimming in resources, I'll build a proper base & I'll think about making it actually aesthetically pleasing instead of being purely functional

What I'm focusing more on is that transition to the final base--particularly when it comes to dragging everything over there. I'm just framing it here as trying to wander and wander. It's a good place to find some of the neater conveniences and mechanics that you sometimes need in challenge packs.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I think some of the changes that were made recently were explained but that in itself I don't think accounts for how much more RAM >=1.10 modded Minecraft takes to run. I just ran into the block ID limit last night when I tried to launch my 1.12.2 BFSR sandbox. Specifically, whatever mod I recently added took me over the limit of 4096 unique blocks. The solution of course is to install NotEnoughIds and let it go all the way up to 65535. I was really worried about doing this but there it was in Enigmatica 2.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

IE storage crates retain inventory, too, though you need treated wood for that.

I just wanted to say that this has been working out on a few tests simply because I keep finding a village with an IE hut. I just lift the crates... and rip out some of the wool in the huts to make a (green-colored) bed. I'm sure the villagers don't mind.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I can play Enigmatica 2 (non skyblock) and Sevtech without any issues but my computer straight up won't run PO3.
I only have 8GB of ram and gave PO3 6GB to use. It took 10 minutes to start the pack and creating the world and entering the first time took another 5. Then it froze when I tried to move. After 2 tries I gave up.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I actually jumped into CotT2 again. The dev stripped out lycanites godawful mobs and replaced them with Grimoire of Gaia's semi-awful mobs-with-anime-tits.

The intro is also stripped down and much faster, and the actual overworld isn't a murderfest of infinite wild dogs. Infernal bears are still a thing of course.

Mainly I just like breeding chickens.

The laser creepers and jetpack spiders with insane detect range are awful though and the massive burning craters the Ice and Fire dragons carve out are ugly. Other than that I enjoyed CotT2

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The 'carry on' mod lets you carry chests and such with their inventories. It slows you down pretty heavily but is great for early game.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Depends posted:

I can play Enigmatica 2 (non skyblock) and Sevtech without any issues but my computer straight up won't run PO3.
I only have 8GB of ram and gave PO3 6GB to use. It took 10 minutes to start the pack and creating the world and entering the first time took another 5. Then it froze when I tried to move. After 2 tries I gave up.

The laser creepers and jetpack spiders with insane detect range are awful though and the massive burning craters the Ice and Fire dragons carve out are ugly. Other than that I enjoyed CotT2

The way that your computer makes use of your video card, is that the memory from your video card is effectively subtracted from the total installed - so if your graphics card has 2GB of memory, and the game is using 6GB, but your computer has 8GB total, it's going to go to hell because there's nothing left for your operating system. I'm not sure if the failure mode would be an 'out of memory' error, or MASSIVE slowdown from trying to use a page file for the RAM, or something else weird

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
How long, in Exoria, am I going to be staring at ash mountains and FPS-killing fairies if I play it properly?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

How long, in Exoria, am I going to be staring at ash mountains and FPS-killing fairies if I play it properly?

Progression in Exoria is based on dimension hopping, so you'll technically have something new to look at after a major progression milestone. However, the next two dimensions are cave dimensions so they aren't much better, not to mention the whole grue thing.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Depends posted:

Is that the older version or the newer GoG remix? Because all I've seen is scarybears and cube titty vampires and bee girls. It does still have the awful Deez Nuts creepers though!

I think I'm just a sucker for Stargates. All I want to do is explore the stars and set up a gate network and say aloud to myself which Chevron is encoded.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Devor posted:

The way that your computer makes use of your video card, is that the memory from your video card is effectively subtracted from the total installed - so if your graphics card has 2GB of memory, and the game is using 6GB, but your computer has 8GB total, it's going to go to hell because there's nothing left for your operating system. I'm not sure if the failure mode would be an 'out of memory' error, or MASSIVE slowdown from trying to use a page file for the RAM, or something else weird

Yeah I tried a few different amounts of memory, Enigmatica 2 runs fine with 4. It's annoying that I can run every other game I own on ultra settings at 3440x1440 but sometimes not my digital lego game.
I don't remember which pack it was but it ran fantastically until I tried to go to the Betweenlands then my computer would poo poo itself.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

You can in theory move to one of the other dimensions but you need sky for things so the caves are right out. The next overworld-type area has drones spawning all the time for some reason and they're annoying to fight. I *think* you can put torches down to avoid them but they spawned during the day for me so maybe not. It's possible they just spawned in trees or something. Eventually you get to another overworld-type dimension which is totally peaceful during the day so you can make a safe base there. Boy the mobs are even more annoying though.

PS it's the ash mountains that are killing your fps not the fairies. Every block of ash has particles, even the ones you can't see.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Is that the older version or the newer GoG remix? Because all I've seen is scarybears and cube titty vampires and bee girls. It does still have the awful Deez Nuts creepers though!

I think I'm just a sucker for Stargates. All I want to do is explore the stars and set up a gate network and say aloud to myself which Chevron is encoded.

Just checked and mine is 1.24, reading through the version info and I didn't even realize it had changed that much. I'll have to see if my friend wants to run through the newest version with me.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a lot of attempts at boobs in minecraft, and they are usually so blinded by horniness that the artist tries to make a gentle curve out of multiple blocks that just makes it more lego-like and alarming while drawing more attention to them

Grimoire of Gaia is actually the most subtle and visually appealing of all the takes

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Does anyone have a storage drawers setup that isn't just a 12x12x5 or 16x16x5?
That's kinda what I always end up doing and have a hard time making something good looking because its just efficient.

E:Although, this isnt bad for a slightly spruced up version of the box design.
https://imgur.com/a/SHe8K

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 30, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Here is a dumb storage drawers trick: Drawer Trim blocks count as drawers for the purposes of a drawer controller's access range. You can abuse this to make drawer trim "pipes" to snake across gaps where you don't necessarily need to have other drawers storing things.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Devor posted:

The way that your computer makes use of your video card, is that the memory from your video card is effectively subtracted from the total installed - so if your graphics card has 2GB of memory, and the game is using 6GB, but your computer has 8GB total, it's going to go to hell because there's nothing left for your operating system.

Not sure where you heard this but it's not true. Some memory address ranges will be used by your graphics card for direct memory access, but those addresses are virtual, they don't obscure system RAM.

I think you're thinking of 32-bit operating systems that only have 4Gb addressable space, so in that case your system RAM plus your mapped gfx RAM could go over the 4Gb limit and become unaddressable. With 64-bit operating systems there is much more address space available and this won't be an issue again for a very long time.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

McFrugal posted:

PS it's the ash mountains that are killing your fps not the fairies. Every block of ash has particles, even the ones you can't see.

What. Is there any way to stop that from happening? Besides turning off particles I mean.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oof. I'd like to try SevTech if only to have a guided romp through some modern mods, but wow, no vanilla chests even until age 2? Is that a terribly long ways in? My only context is side-eyeing some Yogscast videos and, well, nuff said

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Oof. I'd like to try SevTech if only to have a guided romp through some modern mods, but wow, no vanilla chests even until age 2? Is that a terribly long ways in? My only context is side-eyeing some Yogscast videos and, well, nuff said

SevTech is the opposite of a guided romp through modern mods. It's heavily gated, recipes are drastically altered, and your toolkit is severely limited until you get through the tech tree. It's an "expert" pack for people who already know the mods well.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I recommend trying a different pack for guided learning. I think Baby's First Space Race is good for that? Not sure what else would be a good idea to suggest.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ciaphas posted:

As others have said, SevTech is grindy, drawn out, and throws countless obstacles in your way. It's definitely not a good introductory spot and even for people well familiar with the mods it's arduous.

That doesn't make it bad though; I played through with some friends and we only stopped because performance/lag got really bad over time and we were tired of dealing with that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Sevtech is an absolutely fantastic modpack :colbert: The guiding on the first few ages is very strict and you can get up to Age 2 after a few hours. It's only in Age 2 when the pack slams into a wall and you start digging in deep.

Just make sure to check everything that unlocks with each age as the book only mentions and pushes towards a few key things in each mod, especially from Age 2 onwards.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sevtech is combat challenges: the pack until you can attune and fully level the rear end Sorcery Armara perk, at which point you become completely invincible. Well, assuming that it never got updated to the latest AS release where Armara got nerfed into the ground.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Sevtech is combat challenges: the pack until you can attune and fully level the rear end Sorcery Armara perk, at which point you become completely invincible. Well, assuming that it never got updated to the latest AS release where Armara got nerfed into the ground.

Or a mending enchanted Aevitas mantle with a green gem. Outheal anything.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

xanthan posted:

What. Is there any way to stop that from happening? Besides turning off particles I mean.

Well, you could mine out all the ash.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glad I asked then; I'd gotten the impression somehow that SevTech was rather more guided than that. I can find my way around mods given time and a spotlight video, though, so it might still be fun.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 30, 2019

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Fwiw, the Dartcraft modder has been dropping hints in Twitch chats that they're closing in on finishing a new version of Dartcraft. Not sure what version of Minecraft it's being developed for, but I assume it's 1.12.2 or 1.13.x at this point. With any luck it'll at least end up being a new set of weird stuff to further inspire the latter-day modding world.

It's nice that base MC is finally starting to ramp up the rate of change a bit with the new utility blocks, mob variety and a native quasi-API for adapting what's there. Still has some way to go with underground/nether/end variation and a some good, deep revamps of its many unfinished game subsystems (combat/portals/enchanting/mob-A.I.'s/ingame-documentation/etc.) though.

Cool, I thought it was trapped in the usual "mod is dead -> well i'm making a new mod with those features stay tuned! -> that mod is also dead" loop. Dartcraft was WEIRD but it did cool poo poo so I welcome it's return.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing COTT 2 lately and it seems a lot lot easier than COTT 1, in that the only threat are the occasional superbears and they sure as gently caress can't get over the simple concrete wall I built around where I settled after leaving The After. Also the only weapon I need so far is the diamond yoyo I got early on, which handles everything but the 4k hp regen leech darkness burning wither 1-up nonsense bears. It's weird how peaceful it is after the infinite onslaught of COTT1. Maybe I'm missing something?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Black Pants posted:

I've been playing COTT 2 lately and it seems a lot lot easier than COTT 1, in that the only threat are the occasional superbears and they sure as gently caress can't get over the simple concrete wall I built around where I settled after leaving The After. Also the only weapon I need so far is the diamond yoyo I got early on, which handles everything but the 4k hp regen leech darkness burning wither 1-up nonsense bears. It's weird how peaceful it is after the infinite onslaught of COTT1. Maybe I'm missing something?

Well, rule number one of infernal mobs is to go edit the configs to remove all the mods that reflect damage (wither, fiery, poisonous, and the actual reflect one). That way you can actually fight things with a million hp and not die from ailments and reflect.

Although a good cleaver does like 68 damage a hit with no mods so it's not too bad to deal with the high HP guys.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Man, I don't know if it's just the version of TE in Ultimate Alchemy or some kind of interaction with the smeltery controller but Retrievers refuse to do round robin properly. It pulls from the first, then the second, then the second again before trying to pull from the first... or the other way around, depending on what stack size I use.

I have no idea what other way to do this, because I have to keep the inputs even to alloy gold and keep the drain from getting stuck on tin or glowstone, since the alloy always winds up at the top and not in the drain if any other liquid is present. How did you guys automate gold for production of lapis? The only other thing I can think of is pulverizing copper or iron ore(via the Crusher recipe instead) and focus on the byproduct. That's extremely slow though.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 31, 2019

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

..btt posted:

Not sure where you heard this but it's not true. Some memory address ranges will be used by your graphics card for direct memory access, but those addresses are virtual, they don't obscure system RAM.

I think you're thinking of 32-bit operating systems that only have 4Gb addressable space, so in that case your system RAM plus your mapped gfx RAM could go over the 4Gb limit and become unaddressable. With 64-bit operating systems there is much more address space available and this won't be an issue again for a very long time.

I assumed they were talking about onboard graphics that don't have their own dedicated RAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, here's a tip for Ultimate Alchemy. Normally it's impossible to speed up a coke oven with an acceleration wand because the center block is what controls tickrate for the multiblock. However, you can access that block with an ender porcupine! You really only need one wand per coke oven though.
Now I just need to speed up my pulverized charcoal production alongside that. Charcoal itself is easy to speed up since you can dump stacks of logs into an accelerated furnace, but pulverizers are limited by RF/t.