Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I've played about three hours worth of At The Gates? A game and a half. First game ended with me being entirely confused about everything, and I died to the supposed end-game brain dead AI. Lost so hard it CTD, even. Hard to comment on the AI when you don't yet understand the systems, so for now they're better than I am.

The game strongly reminds me of a mash of Banished (your resources are your people, your Clans, and all improvements / technology directly impacts their value or abilities), Don't Starve (due to the art style, and survival aspect / weather change system. Don't leave your units out in the snow without a building for them to stay in! they will be pissed and almost dead come spring), complete with Civ-like systems.

Resource management feels very Banished in the sense that you have to use your Clans effectively, and make decisions about which Clan will focus what area, all while expecting them to do a full 180 when they have a Desire pop up. It also feels like you might need to have some clans with winter/summer jobs within the same profession, especially early game before you get enough lumber to build enough buildings for them to hide away in.

The tech tree is.. weird in that you aren't learning technologies, but instead each 'Knowledge' is a different job you can equip your clans with, after research & training time. This is the part i'm getting a bit overwhelmed with early on.. there are a fuckton of different jobs, and knowing which to train towards first seems to be entirely dependent on where you start, and where Settlement move 2 & 3 will be.

Took me a long time to remember that you move your settlement around. So you want to build a mine or lumber mill within settlement limits, then move towards the next nodes to expand around until you eventually have enough Stone blocks to settle somewhere permanent without exhausting your immediate resource tiles. I think?

Anyways that's my first confused impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I've never seen that website, that's really good.
The historic low for the game is still extremely high for an expansion pack though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Human Crouton posted:

Your season pass bought the first 6 DLCs; all of which are out already.

That's criminal lmao

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Amethyst posted:

That's criminal lmao
It was never called a season pass, it was attached to the deluxe edition. Also it should have been clear from the description that it was just going to be DLC civs and scenarios. Still no excuse for them trying to to cut corners and then being shamed into including 6 DLCs instead of the originally intended four because of how lovely the value proposition was.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I myself look forward to the new expansion, enjoy Civ VI and want more of it. That is all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The price seems fine to me. I just started playing civ 4 again but may buy the expansion to see what is what.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Cool, there's no UI scaling in At the Gates so it is unplayable on a large 4k screen. Really top notch stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

Cool, there's no UI scaling in At the Gates so it is unplayable on a large 4k screen. Really top notch stuff.

I mean while that's a bit sloppy you're probably 1% of the customer base, if that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Taear posted:

I mean while that's a bit sloppy you're probably 1% of the customer base, if that.

Yeah I think he needs to work on the near non existent AI first.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Nonexistent AI isn't even in the Top 5 problems At the Gates has at the moment

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
What's wrong with the AI in At the Gates? Be specific.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Wooper posted:

What's wrong with the AI in At the Gates? Be specific.

There isn’t any. Ok there’s a little but nothing that will do anything to stop your romp to Rome. The AI is not aggressive. They don’t attack you, they don’t compete. So like I said before I’m playing it as a survival/crafting game. I mean it’s a 4x in a way but if the AI won’t compete then exterminate is a given and that’s not fun.

Even though we’ve all complained over the years about Civ AI, it at least tries to put up a fight.

Also naturally if you can’t play the game because it crashes then certainly that’s the biggest issue. I haven’t had any crashes nor have the YT guys I follow. The fact that you have to edit a file for options is stupid but at least you can do it. You can’t fix the AI though so for me it’s the biggest issue.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's not just that the AI doesn't attack you, it's basically completely passive. It will use up its starting resources and then just squat on the depleted resources forever instead of moving or expanding (even if it has other resources in its territory!) It will send armies wandering around and if you start attacking any surviving armies can wander over to your territory and start wrecking your poo poo. But since it doesn't know how to build or expand it will never progress much beyond whatever starting armies it's given, which can be scary at turn 20 but not at turn 50.

But beyond that, the military side of the game is broken because borders don't work right and capturing enemy settlements doesn't work at all and the economic side of the game is broken because there are several bugs/exploits with the caravan system that let you completely trivialize the economic survival elements (you could just say "don't do that", but you're cutting yourself off from intentional parts of the economic gameplay if you go that route.)

Those are just the game-breakers--the balance is still bad as an economic survival/builder game because the late game economy is (presumably) balanced against some kind of AI pressure and there just isn't any. So even if you don't abuse caravan exploits after a few years you transition from a tight economic management game (which is solid enough at base to be fun despite its many flaws) to just having infinite everything.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

I myself look forward to the new expansion, enjoy Civ VI and want more of it. That is all.

Looking forward to the Phoenicia reveal tomorrow! I expect a boat civ.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 27, 2019

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKFEv7gO_g

Well, there's the Phoenicia trailer.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Just delete Harald if your gonna release a civ that does everything he does except better.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
She seems kinda boring. Moving your capital to gently caress with loyalty in tandem with rock bands and migration policies seems like the only really fun thing I'd try out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I dunno, Phoenicia is the first new Civ I've seen that makes me want to buy the expansion, I like trade.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I wouldn't say they're really tradefocused though, except for the extra traderoute for Government plaza buildings (which is quite nice).

Feels a bit "cobbled together" but I think the loyalty+settler+moving capital stuff will possibly make for some pretty unique and fun games.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Just delete Harald if your gonna release a civ that does everything he does except better.

Speaking of Harald, I always loved that his detailed approach section in the Civilopedia

a) pretty much admits that the stave church doesn't synergize well with the rest of Norway, and

b) incorrectly refers to Crusade, one of the enhancer beliefs it recommends, as "Just War," which was the equivalent belief in Civ V.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Phoenicia's abilities just sound annoyingly fiddly for very little gain tbh.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Taear posted:

Phoenicia's abilities just sound annoyingly fiddly for very little gain tbh.

I'm confused by this post. What about her abilities are annoyingly fiddly?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I actually really like Phoenicia, but I also echo the question of "Why is Harald still here?"

Also is Harald a Cothon?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Well you can certainly be hyperagressive with your settlers, I guess. I wonder how hard it'd be to take all of another civ's poo poo through loyalty loss alone.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I looked at Phoenicia again, and I like it less. For some reason I was under the impression that moving your capital allowed you to build multiple government complexes, which is not true.

But the part that I find really stupid is the bireme's ability to protect trade routes from being plundered. At first, I imagined having a giant ocean trade network protected by a sparsely placed navy, and then the fact that the plunder protection bonus only applies to the bireme. So I only get to protect my trade routes until I upgrade my worst naval unit. It's near worthless.

Apply that logic to Mali's design as well. If you want to protect your trade routes, you have to set up a protection network that only works for 1.5 eras. It's not worth the work.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 30, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

New features vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ8XRJNitCE

The climate change stuff looks pretty scary, hopefully it can be turned off.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Mayveena posted:

New features vid:

This expansion makes me nervous. "I hope the major mechanic that this expansion introduces and is named after can be turned off" is not a great sign.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

dy. posted:

This expansion makes me nervous. "I hope the major mechanic that this expansion introduces and is named after can be turned off" is not a great sign.

Yeah, this is a thing I had to mod out of Civ4 because of a terrible implementation. It's not doing a great job of convincing me that I should buy GS.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Can't wait to try this bad boi in MP while reading goons complains about SP.

Hungary atomic theme is so fuckin good

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
These all seem like decent ideas that would be better in another game.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

randomized future tech trees sounds like an interesting addition to late game.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It seems like this expansion is setting the stage for some good mods in the future. I assume that the climate change mechanics can be adapted to allow for terraforming in some sort of Alpha Centauri style effort. Similarly with the multiple unique districts and allowing non-standard starts ala Kupe. I am a bit worried that all this stuff will overwhelm an already quite overwhelming game. Perhaps it is because I haven't played that many games of Civ VI, but I always find myself just neglecting something. Religion, Great People, Spies, Trading Routes and all that stuff. It just spirals out of control.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

It seems like this expansion is setting the stage for some good mods in the future. I assume that the climate change mechanics can be adapted to allow for terraforming in some sort of Alpha Centauri style effort. Similarly with the multiple unique districts and allowing non-standard starts ala Kupe. I am a bit worried that all this stuff will overwhelm an already quite overwhelming game. Perhaps it is because I haven't played that many games of Civ VI, but I always find myself just neglecting something. Religion, Great People, Spies, Trading Routes and all that stuff. It just spirals out of control.

I mean.......you aren't really going to focus on everything in every game.....that's part of the fun. Different board states and different victory types have different priorities that you should focus on.

If you are going for a science victory you aren't going to mess to much with GWAMS, Great Generals, Great Admirals and especially Great Prophets but you will wanna look at Great Scientists, Engineers and Merchants.

In most games you probably shouldn't even HAVE a religion. It is such a large opportunity cost for so little benefit.

Spies are great but you most likely are either gonna just keep having them steal gold or sabotage Spaceports...they don't require an obscene amount of upkeep.

No Matter the victory type you really should stay on top of how many trade routes you have, it allows you to either centralize production or spread tourism or shore up a hole in a cities yield. You really should stay on top of these.

But yes the game is big..............but that is kind of the point, you are constantly prioritizing all your possible decisions, and choosing to perform the most important/expedient ones.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mayveena posted:

New features vid:

You can't.

lol that the main feature of the expansion is that the game randomly attacks you to try to get you to stop playing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

You can't.

lol that the main feature of the expansion is that the game randomly attacks you to try to get you to stop playing.

gently caress...................that is really disappointing.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Unbelievable that I would ever suffer setbacks in my game of civ. Refunded and I wrote a stern letter to Sid Mayer himself.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
There are settings for the frequency of climate change stuff IIRC, so hopefully you can mod it to zero relatively easily.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

We've only been thinking about the stupid damage that disasters cause to buildings and terrain, but there's even more terrible ideas packed into Gathering Storm's main new mechanic. During a livestream, one of the developers told a story about how he sent his units across the map, and turns later he was wondering where they were. It turns out that they died as they walked across an erupting volcano. So now, instead of setting destinations for units, you have to manually move them every turn to dodge tornadoes.

Staltran posted:

There are settings for the frequency of climate change stuff IIRC, so hopefully you can mod it to zero relatively easily.

They claim that it's very moddable, of course. The problem with climate change and disasters is that they are also built into the game in other ways like emergencies, and the world congress.

I am going to mod the damage that storms do to units to 0, if they were nice enough to expose that variable in a reasonable place.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 30, 2019

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

We've only been thinking about the stupid damage that disasters cause to buildings and terrain, but there's even more terrible ideas packed into Gathering Storm's main new mechanic. During a livestream, one of the developers told a story about how he sent his units across the map, and turns later he was wondering where they were. It turns out that they died as they walked across an erupting volcano. So now, instead of setting destinations for units, you have manually move them every turn to dodge tornadoes.

And the Civ6 notification system is so poo poo that he didn't notice, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Storms and other natural disasters seems perfectly in line with how they seem to want you to do anything but the 4 Xs