Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Indolent Bastard posted:

I think people forget what your kitchen looks like.

The counter space beside the oven is miniscule and having a bunch of crap on that breakfast bar/counter would look crummy.

See, just extend that idea out to a larger space. If having crap out is A Bad Look, why is it suddenly acceptable just because you justify it with more countertop?

And I agree with the slice of countertop by the stove, I'd rather have one of those thin euro-fridges (or those more sensibly-sized american fridges from the 50s) but alas the space was built for what appears to be a family of jabba the hutts throwing buffet soirees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So what's with those appliances or storage units on the counter?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ebola Dog posted:

You can get specific drill bits for ceramic tiles which I would use over a standard masonry bit at least to get through the tile before switching to the appropriate bit for whatever is under the tiles, anything to reduce the risk of the tiles cracking is a good idea.

you can probably use a glass drill bit in a pinch as well

The Bloop posted:

So what's with those appliances or storage units on the counter?

ones a water boiler which stores.. boiled water, so you can't put it away

the coffee grinder I probably could, but I'm unsure what I'm going to do with it, might switch to just using the manual grinder or replace it with something else, but yeah I could probably do something better there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe you leave all that unsightly slowly rotting fruit just laying around where people can see it

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The Bloop posted:

I can't believe you leave all that unsightly slowly rotting fruit just laying around where people can see it

Please. Those are plastic.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

peanut posted:

We go through a liter of milk a day and gallon jugs don't exist here so I buy 3 or 4 liter cartons every shopping trip. Empty cartons are cut and flattened and used as disposable cutting boards :iia:

PS ceramic knives: what do you think???

What makes you think that the outside of a milk carton is sanitary to start with, can be cleaned to a sanitary state and doesn’t leech random chemicals into your food?

Gross, why?!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wooger posted:

What makes you think that the outside of a milk carton is sanitary to start with, can be cleaned to a sanitary state and doesn’t leech random chemicals into your food?

Gross, why?!

I bet he uses the inside as the cutting surface. Just a thought.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah it's the inside ya dingus

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hey thread, how about some bad corporate/commercial interior design? This is the elevator in my doctor's office building and I hate it SO loving MUCH.

The same carpet is in the hallways, but the hallways are done in a solid muted gray that doesn't compete with the pattern.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Hey thread, how about some bad corporate/commercial interior design? This is the elevator in my doctor's office building and I hate it SO loving MUCH.

The same carpet is in the hallways, but the hallways are done in a solid muted gray that doesn't compete with the pattern.

Maybe some wood grain might help

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

TheMightyHandful posted:

Maybe some wood grain might help

Yeah, some wood grain. In those seams. Horizontally.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ThisOldHouse/status/1090202898447757312

[Screaming intensifies]

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well that confirms my prejudice about the "This Old House" brand which was previously based entirely on the name.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

For some reason I find it less awful than barn doors separating rooms. Maybe just because it's smaller. Maybe because the picture is zoomed in enough there's less decor for it to clash with.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well that confirms my prejudice about the "This Old House" brand which was previously based entirely on the name.

This Old House lost some of its shine when WGBH spun it off into its own media company a decade or so ago. It's an indictment of the state of televison home shows that even in its current state it's one of the best.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Multi-track barn door kitchen cabinets. 4 tracks at least, all sliding back and forth in front of and behind each other.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Isn't side sliding upper cabinet doors that an old actual kitchen style? I've seen that multiple places here in old houses in Scandinavia, especially in smaller summer houses.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Qwijib0 posted:

This Old House lost some of its shine when WGBH spun it off into its own media company a decade or so ago. It's an indictment of the state of televison home shows that even in its current state it's one of the best.

Despite his association with the TOH brand, Richard Trethewey remains cool and good.

mutata posted:

Multi-track barn door kitchen cabinets. 4 tracks at least, all sliding back and forth in front of and behind each other.

You stop that right this instant :mad:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mutata posted:

The "MIT lecture hall" of kitchens

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Am I the only one trying to figure out how that barn door is supposed to slide past that knob?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

Am I the only one trying to figure out how that barn door is supposed to slide past that knob?

You open the cabinets first :rolleyes:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Variable 5 posted:

You open the cabinets first :rolleyes:

When you open the cabinets, I assume that there's no sidewalls and you can just see impotently into the center space anyway, but you have to move the barndoors out of the way to access it, right?

Unrelated: If anyone has any cool images of what you'd consider a "cozy space", please post them. Can be homes or other spaces like cafes or businesses or whatever. Just want to see what people consider to be "cozy".

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

When you open the cabinets, I assume that there's no sidewalls and you can just see impotently into the center space anyway, but you have to move the barndoors out of the way to access it, right?

I dunno, I was being (I thought) incredibly sarcastic.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Variable 5 posted:

I dunno, I was being (I thought) incredibly sarcastic.

Oh me too, I'm just enjoying painting as bleak and depressing a picture of that whole concept.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

mutata posted:

Unrelated: If anyone has any cool images of what you'd consider a "cozy space", please post them. Can be homes or other spaces like cafes or businesses or whatever. Just want to see what people consider to be "cozy".

hello.jpg

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Barn doors are just pocket doors for people who are too lazy to tear out a wall to install them.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Truly inspiring

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

mutata posted:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Those book cases are awfully close to that fire pla

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Eh ‘looks’ cozy but I bets it’s cold as gently caress with those single pane windows.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Eh ‘looks’ cozy but I bets it’s cold as gently caress with those single pane windows.

Then you wear a sweater and fuzzy slippers, which only increases the net coziness.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm just imagining all the spiders hiding in the wood

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm just imagining all the spiders hiding in the wood

Just think of them as friends optimized for superior hugging.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

It would have to be ice cold to mitigate sitting two feet from a cast iron stove

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/davidcrespo/status/1090436536754147328

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2900-W-Logan-Blvd-203-Chicago-IL-60647/2086359811_zpid/?fullpage=true

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Other than the horrible rent that only the dregs of society could afford, that looks like a pretty good church conversion.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

All opening the breadmaker on the altar-counter and handing the kids a loaf saying "this is my sourdough which I give to you. do this, it's gluten-free"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Great pad if you're into choirboy roleplay with your spouse

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Other than the horrible rent that only the dregs of society could afford, that looks like a pretty good church conversion.

Disagree. Everything they added looks as cheap as possible, and that's extra discordant with the stained glass and stonework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Baronjutter posted:

Any conversion of a church is a good conversion.