Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'd let it simply remain Mew, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You know what this game needs?
More Undertale references.
Name the Mew Kissycutie

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

megane posted:

You should name it Mary Sue

Sary Mew

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Kikas posted:

Name it Rhydon

:bandwagon:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Name it Meow or "Kitty!"

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 30, 2019

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

megane posted:

You should name it Mary Sue

But the king dude already has Victini. :colbert:

Serious vote: Mewsical

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
If there wasn't such a huge bandwagon already, I'd be suggesting Arceus. :colbert:

...Rhydon it is, because I'm a sucker for Bandwagons.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

If there wasn't such a huge bandwagon already, I'd be suggesting Arceus. :colbert:

...Rhydon it is, because I'm a sucker for Bandwagons.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Mewno

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Mary Sue

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I was thinking of "mue" or something but I like this one.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Drew the Mew.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

This is too good to not use.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

ChrisBTY posted:

You know what this game needs?
More Undertale references.
Name the Mew Kissycutie

Do this!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I was going to suggest calling it a different animal sound, like Bark or Quack or Whinny.

But Rhydon works too.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm just gonna continue with SMT based suggestions because, why the gently caress not. Masakado is our protector, our friend, and now it joins us to see things to an end. :colbert:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't get the Rhydon pun

Right-on?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mew, Bulbasaur, Arceus and Rhydon all have claim to being the 1st pokemon for different reasons.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Sary Mew is v good

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't get the Rhydon pun

Right-on?

ChrisBTY posted:

Mew, Bulbasaur, Arceus and Rhydon all have claim to being the 1st pokemon for different reasons.

To clarify. Mew was called the First pokemon in generation 1, Bulbasaur is the first pokemon in the pokedex. Rhydon was the first pokemon created for the games. And Arceus supposedly created the universe and thus all pokemon.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

Kikas posted:

Name it Rhydon

This is very clever and I love it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kikas posted:

Name it Rhydon

:bandwagon:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Qrr posted:

I’m amused that DoubleNegative’s view of the game has changed so much, along with the thread’s. From “Don't get me wrong, it's not good by any stretch of the imagination” in the OP to “I really like this game, but the end bits are just so tedious” in this update.

Like, part of why people like it is the obviously favorable comparison to Reborn, but it also has a lot of actually good stuff.
Same here, watching this LP become an actual Pokemon LP instead of "oh god look at this terrible loving game" has been really fun.

I'll vote for Mewsical, but honestly I just want to see Mew get used in-game. Event Legendaries tend to be nearly impossible to use in an actual playthrough unless you do trading shenanigans or if it's something like the Victini event in Gen 5, so seeing Mew's crazy versatility in a game that actually requires you to pull out all most of the stops should be really interesting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am too deep in my spoons to look askance at Sary Mew.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

I vote for this.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Every update you just silently change Mew's name between Rhydon, Bulbasaur, Mew, and Arceus just to drive the point home.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

there is only one answer

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

To clarify. Mew was called the First pokemon in generation 1, Bulbasaur is the first pokemon in the pokedex. Rhydon was the first pokemon created for the games. And Arceus supposedly created the universe and thus all pokemon.

Additionally, Rhydon is the first Pokemon on the internal Pokemon list in RBY, and was the first coded into the game, giving it the most claim for the title of First Pokemon.

Miss posted:

there is only one answer

YESSSSSS

Malah
May 18, 2015

Explopyro posted:

I continue to be pretty impressed by most of the gameplay here, to the point I'm seriously considering giving it a go at some point. But the writing definitely fluctuates between "charmingly silly and cheesy" and "just plain dumb", and here we're on the latter end. Oh well, can't be perfect I guess.
Do it! I'm rolling my eyes a lot less at the "traditional" story mode or whatever it's called, and the gameplay is pretty good. I'm past the first gym and it's really interesting how many options are on the table when the national pokedex is cracked open from the start.

Miss posted:

there is only one answer

Well, now there is!

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Well this is worth about 50 votes for Rhydon, by my estimate. Also, I'll throw in my 1 vote for [b]Rhydon[/] as well.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just for the crowd at home, we started out with five known cults, and over the course of the game, we've dismantled two, but we've also watched the genesis of the Deoxys cult, have yet to run into the Giratina cult, and have just become an association member of the Arceus cult.

I don't know the status of the Kyurem cult, but as far as I can recall, they've only ever had two members, the Darkrai cult hasn't done anything notable since the intro, and we're gearing up to take down the Groudon cult, but still haven't resolved the prophecy saying Amy will become a member of it.

This game has altogether too many cults and they're popping up faster than we can knock 'em down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Incoming mini-rant:

It's interesting comparing and contrasting Reborn and Insurgence. I'm not going to get into the plots into much detail, apart from Insurgence actually gives your player agency. Also the fact that the writers know how to smile and tell a joke to balance out the edge (and apparently the non-edgy version is pretty decent). I digress.

No, I'm going to go into battle mechanics. DoubleNegative is playing on "normal" mode, which is hard, but not "gently caress you" hard apart from a few battles, usually gym leaders or cult leaders. You know, the ones you expect to be hard. But it's hard in a way that's "balanced". You're not restricted with what Pokemon you can and can't use beyond what you'd expect in a Pokemon game. The teams are min/maxed in a competitive sense, but you can handle them as DoubleNegative is showing by spamming super-effective moves. Or you know, what you do in every other Pokemon game in the main story :v:. It also gives you means to set your team up in a min/max fashion easily. So it's hard, but it also tries to reduce the grind as well. And again, if you want, you can play on an easier version. So it's catering to those who A. just want to play a darker game, B. those who want a darker game and a challenge, and C. those who love Dark Souls. So from a gameplay perspective, it's pretty solid, in my opinion.

Reborn restricts what mons you can use, or if lets you one that could potentially use a useful move, locks moves that would help via TM beyond where it would be useful or makes going over the level cap disabiling your mons. The additional field types almost always are designed to buff the NPC's mons, making it harder to fight them. It doesn't help you at all. It's for masochists. Sorry OFS.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Miss posted:

there is only one answer

This is great

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh right, another thing:

I like that the deltas run from useful as all hell to "lol worthless". Which... is also a thing in the main games. And the designs aren't bad either. So it's insurgence a bad game? No. Is it a good game? Not really, it has some serious writing issues, but the pacing feels fine. As far as edgelord rom hacks/ fan games go, I'd say it's the best in what I've seen.

Malah
May 18, 2015

The traditional storyline so far seems dumb in a standard pokemon (see: charming children's story) way instead of being dumb in a "lol Persephone just killed two randos in the first ten minutes" way, but I'm only a couple hours in so far.

It feels like a fangame that could use a professional editor instead of whatever the gently caress Reborn is doing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's also notable that, for the most part, you can actually remember who all these people are. Even if you can't remember their names, you can still go "oh, Giratina mask guy" or "that lady obsessed with summoning Darkrai" and know who that is.

Compare to Reborn, where people post a list of all the characters every week or so, complete with the plot beats they're involved in, and people still have no idea who the gently caress 99% of them are.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pokemon Reborn has memorable characters like Fern and Terra.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Stand back everyone, I'm going to conduct SCIENCE! :science:

SCIENCE is different from science because it's yelled like a mad scientist.

I'm gonna see if I can be more clever than the Insurgence dev team.

Let's just fly down to Helios City...

I never showed this off before, but north of the cave leading out of the city is a rock climb wall. This leads to Gaea Town.

:eng99:

Conclusion: I'm not more clever than the Insurgence dev team.

This post inspired by someone on the Insurgence Official Discord posting this image:

with the caption "I'm also guessing you're not supposed to have dive yet"

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Guess it's good to know they have some basic error checking? We all remember gen 1. Then again, breaking that game to pieces was a big part of the fun...

Also, apropos of nothing, all the talk of Pokemon and cults made me realise that it's a crying shame none of them is called the Esoteric Order of Bagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Explopyro posted:

Also, apropos of nothing, all the talk of Pokemon and cults made me realise that it's a crying shame none of them is called the Esoteric Order of Bagon.

You are a good person, and you should feel good about yourself.