Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, Riverdale's another one that gets goonlove, but it wasn't my thing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

I can understand not enjoying Riverdale or Sabrina (tho Riverdale moreso than Sabrina) tbh. Not only are they a. schlock they are b. literally for teenagers.

I just happen to love schlock aimed at teenagers.

I agree with this completely. Not sure why Rarity needs to pretend they’re high art or whatever

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'd say Sabrina is closer to just being plain good tv, like of the two it's far more focused and seems to have a particular vision and idea for what it wants to do. It's still very silly, though. It's campy in a much different way than Riverdale, which is p much 'let's just throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks!'. Which works for Riverdale because the show established itself very early on as being loving ridiculous.

But yeah they're both just trashy teen shows so idgi when people are shook goons don't like them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In other news I started the back half of Kimmy Schmidt 4 last night and it is A+

e: lmao this sliding doors ep

e2: lmao wait did rarity say sabrina was better than the leftovers

girl ...

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 30, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It's too bad, because I really liked the original show. But the new Sabrina is like aliens watched a single episode of Original Sabrina and then decided to make a reboot with their own, inhuman vision of what Sabrina should be.

It's also objectively confusing, what kind of reasoning made it seem sensible to remake a silly little comedy show into some kind of grimdark edgelord version of itself? It fails as comedy, it fails as horror, and because of all the silly bits it also fails as teenage drama.

Did the makers purposefully make this trainwreck so bad to create some sort of Plan 9 From Outer Space, but for teen dramas?

esperterra posted:

I'd say Sabrina is closer to just being plain good tv, like of the two it's far more focused and seems to have a particular vision and idea for what it wants to do. It's still very silly, though. It's campy in a much different way than Riverdale, which is p much 'let's just throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks!'. Which works for Riverdale because the show established itself very early on as being loving ridiculous.

But yeah they're both just trashy teen shows so idgi when people are shook goons don't like them.

The original show wasn't really good either, but it got some genuine chuckles out of me. The new show is just a waste of time and talent. I'm in this case genuinely embarrassed for the actors.

Also what is the vision for Neo Sabrina? "It's Sabrina, but now it sucks?"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love and prefer the original show, personally. It's silly as hell but I think stands up for a sitcom aimed at the youuuuuths.

It's worth noting that the new show isn't based on the original show, or the original comics. It's based on a diff Sabrina comic which is very much not a comedy. Going into it expecting it to be like the OG comics or the Melissa Joan Hart show is going to get nothing but disappointment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that seems to speak to the key criticism. Sabrina isn't a remake of a TGIF sitcom. Its an adaption of a existing similarly themed comic that comes from the same place the sitcom came from. They were just very different interpretations.

If you went in expecting Melissa Joan Hart's Sabrina, you're gonna be disappointed but you probably shouldn't have gone in expecting that since it was never the source or inspiration.

That being said I liked Sabrina and don't think it really belongs in direct comparisons with Riverdale, but its still not something I'd call prestige tv or must watch or anything. Its fun, so like if you ain't having fun then its probably not for you.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

It's too bad, because I really liked the original show. But the new Sabrina is like aliens watched a single episode of Original Sabrina and then decided to make a reboot with their own, inhuman vision of what Sabrina should be.

It's also objectively confusing, what kind of reasoning made it seem sensible to remake a silly little comedy show into some kind of grimdark edgelord version of itself? It fails as comedy, it fails as horror, and because of all the silly bits it also fails as teenage drama.

Did the makers purposefully make this trainwreck so bad to create some sort of Plan 9 From Outer Space, but for teen dramas?

I really liked the original Batman show from back in the 60s, why on Earth did Tim Burton decide to remake a silly little comedy show into a gritty dark serious version of itself? It's like the old show was based on some sort of extant media property that has changed in the decades since then or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When the show was announced all anyone could talk about was how they were looking forward to the return of sassy Salem. That might be why so many people are turned off by the show, they didn't get what they expected.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it makes sense. The TGIF sitcom was high enough profile that a lot of people probably have no idea it started as a comic book or was a comic book well after it. So it makes sense that for a lot of people that was what they imagined. The Adam West Batman thing is a reasonable comparison but it would probably be hard to find someone who was completely unaware that there were other kinds of Batman. But I assume anyone trying to force Netflix Sabrina to fit TGIF Sabrina just aren't aware there is another thing to compare it to or that TGIF Sabrina wasn't the original.

But like the level by which Libluini is condemning it on those grounds is a little unfair. Sabrina isn't asking to be compared to a show it has very little to do with. At some point you have to accept that's not the source material and as far as I could tell they never even really tried to capitalize on it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Not sure why Rarity needs to pretend they’re high art or whatever

It's so easy to wind you up :love:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I bet there's tons of people who don't even know the MJH show was based on an Archie character. I know I've met at least one or two!

From the tone of the trailers I still think it would be weird to go in expecting it to be like the sitcom. Then again a bunch of people prob just heard a new Sabrina show was coming/saw it pop up on Netflix and didn't look more into it.

Now being upset Salem doesn't talk with the voice of Nick Bakay (poo poo he doesn't talk at all!) I can get behind tbh. I know Ambrose fills the typical Salem role, and I like the character, but it's the one thing I really do wish the new show had stuck with. Even if it were a diff voice actor but the same basic Salem. His brand of bad influence would be p interesting in this setting lmao

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sabrina is cool and good and as someone who never watched Mad Men the only thing I know Kiernan Shipka from is the body-swap episode with JVDB in Don't Trust the B, which is hilarious cause I just finished a rewatch of that recently as well

Esperterra I hate you cause I'm out of Schiit's Creek to watch. I need something else to binge on while this midwest weather has shut everything down around here. Patrick and David is life

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I meant people in this thread. People who were fully aware of its origins and still expected sassy Salem.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hope and vaseline posted:

Esperterra I hate you cause I'm out of Schiit's Creek to watch. I need something else to binge on while this midwest weather has shut everything down around here. Patrick and David is life

I'm really glad you liked it! Canada's been lowkey hitting it out the park on the TV front lately.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

esperterra posted:

Yeah, I bet there's tons of people who don't even know the MJH show was based on an Archie character. I know I've met at least one or two!
I certainly didn't when it was airing! Although it aired when I was a kid and I wasn't at all familiar with Archie until I was an adult, and I'm still not really familiar with it that much lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Salem was obviously the thing people most held onto from the TGIF show, and to the Netflix shows credit they clearly TRIED to cater to that with Ambrose. But its tough to replace a sassy talking cat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

Salem was obviously the thing people most held onto from the TGIF show, and to the Netflix shows credit they clearly TRIED to cater to that with Ambrose. But its tough to replace a sassy talking cat.

Why hasn't there been a Garfield revival?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There has.

There has...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:lol: the ending of this Sliding Doors episode tho

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

It's so easy to wind you up :love:

It was more like baffled shaking of the head but yes ily too ❤️

Rewatching Better Things s2 now that it’s less than a month until the third hits. Really hope it hasn’t changed too much without CK because this poo poo is amazing

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

The original show wasn't really good either, but it got some genuine chuckles out of me. The new show is just a waste of time and talent. I'm in this case genuinely embarrassed for the actors.

Also what is the vision for Neo Sabrina? "It's Sabrina, but now it sucks?"

Sorry, not sorry, since it made a page of content; but I didn't mean it was :turianass: good. :turianass:

It worked for me because I wasn't really paying attention, my wife was watching it and I was doing paperwork, so every now and then I would look up and they'd be having a ~black trial~ or whatever and everything was so ridiculously absurd. It had a fun, campy vibe like True Blood or Merlin. Not good, but enjoyable? Guilty pleasure would probably be the closest feeling.
:shrug:

Hannibal though: that show is gooooooooooooooooooood! :awesome:
Season 2 is still a-maze-ing!

I unironically want them to make a spinoff Hannibal cooking show where Mads Mikkelsen teaches you how to cook a meal, in character...OUT OF HIS CELEBRITY GUEST!!!! :ese:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“you have to put four monopoly houses up your vagina.”
“that’s the same as a hotel!”
“ok, or a hotel.”

man you fuckin KNOW Louis wrote that haha

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In my opinion, schlock is an over- and mis-used term, thanks for reading my manifesto

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

In my opinion, schlock is an over- and mis-used term, thanks for reading my TED talk

Fixed, gramps.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's like 2 different ideas of "schlock." One is "cheap and trashy" and one is "shallow and trashy." I wouldn't call Sabrina either of those. Riverdale might be the latter. But the former is what I tend to think of as "schlock".

John Waters is "schlock". Off the top of my head I'm not sure i can think of anything mainstream that fits because mainstream/high production kind of works directly against the idea, IMO. But there's probably something I'm missing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I think there's like 2 different ideas of "schlock." One is "cheap and trashy" and one is "shallow and trashy." I wouldn't call Sabrina either of those. Riverdale might be the latter. But the former is what I tend to think of as "schlock". John Waters is "schlock".

People call stuff such as Westworld and GoT schlock, which is like the opposite of what they are. Even if you hate the shows, they aren't schlock.

Schlock doesn't just mean "bad" it connotes B-movie production levels, camp and kitsch. Sabrina has very high production values, good actors, strong art direction, etc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

People call stuff such as Westworld and GoT schlock, which is like the opposite of what they are. Even if you hate the shows, they aren't schlock.

That’s definitely weird as hell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a lot of quibbles with the critical vocabulary of many posters on these boards :colbert:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s definitely weird as hell

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

Schlock doesn't just mean "bad" it connotes B-movie production levels, camp and kitsch. Sabrina has very high production values, good actors, strong art direction, etc.

Yeah, I basically agree with you but I think its a rule of life that at some point when people have been "misusing" a term long enough that it gets redefined. And to that end I think there's a definition of "schlock" that is accepted (but not how I use it) that describes "trashy" shows made that way as a style choice rather than a necessary budgetary reality.

But Westworld and GoT don't fit either.

We're just all dumb and we're all looking for a way to justify that we like bad stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

STAC Goat posted:

We're just all dumb and we're all looking for a way to justify that we like bad stuff.
Yeah, that's it. Some people also take it too personally when someone doesn't like the bad stuff that they like.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Schlock is almost up there with "pretentious" and "hack" in terms of words that have lost all their actual meaning and are just something people call media and creators they don't like. It's getting to be a real gaslighting parasocial dunning-kruger for milennial hipsters, my sweet summer namaste.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree with this completely. Not sure why Rarity needs to pretend they’re high art or whatever

Is it really any worse than the many times you pretend a thing is Objectively Bad And Nobody Can Argue Otherwise?

Not trying to be a butt, just sayin :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Z Nation: Schlock
The Walking Dead: Not Schlock

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Z Nation. Yeah, that's schlock.

Blood Drive was VERY schlocky.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man nobody told me there was a new Gordon Ramsey Calls People Donkeys show and it's on season 2. Hell yesssssss

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Oh man nobody told me there was a new Gordon Ramsey Calls People Donkeys show and it's on season 2. Hell yesssssss

That's an accurate description of almost every US show Ramsey has ever been in though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Shlock isn't even inherently a negative thing, Spartacus is pure unashamed shlock in every possible way and it might be literally the best TV show ever made as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do not agree that it's schlock.

Collider is reporting that negotations are in progress for Zendaya to play Chani, whom Usul will tell of his homeworld, in the Villanueve Dune

E: also, per variety, CBS all access has ordered a 10 ep The Stand miniseries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAUpSm3fpa4

And the trailer for the Hanna series.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 30, 2019