Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

I don't wear a lab coat

ever? even when working with gnarlies? :suicide:

tbh I only wear my labcoat at the facs core because I might as well look cool while i suffer in a basement for 3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Development posted:

ever? even when working with gnarlies? :suicide:

tbh I only wear my labcoat at the facs core because I might as well look cool while i suffer in a basement for 3 hours

I don't wear a white lab coat ever, nope. But if I'm doing any kind of dissection-work I'll have on a plastic gown with sleeves.

That's a rad lab coat, too.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What kind of lab doesn’t require PPE? I am imagining an office of data scientists or something

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snack Bitch posted:

What kind of lab doesn’t require PPE? I am imagining an office of data scientists or something

Never said I don't wear PPE, in fact in the next sentence I... said I wear PPE.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Never said I don't wear PPE, in fact in the next sentence I... said I wear PPE.

I haven’t worked anywhere that didn’t require a lab coat/glasses at all times. Seems strange, that’s why I asked

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Our work either has no gloves required or two layers of gloves required, with nothing in between.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Snack Bitch posted:

the only time i ever wear a lab coat is when we have to do stupid promotional marketing photo-shoots and videos of "HEY LOOK AT US SCIENTISTS IN LAB COATS AND SUCH"

otherwise, i wear gloves when needed, same for safety glasses

keep in mind i'm salty well traveled and experienced molecular biologist who doesn't give a gently caress anymore

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Snack Bitch posted:

It's amazing how bad some labs can be. One of my operators came to us because she'd quit her last job, which had her working with high-concentration sulphuric acid on open desk surfaces, no air re-circ, no PPE except for latex gloves.

Ridiculous.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 30, 2019

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Sundae posted:

It's amazing how bad some labs can be. One of my operators came to us because she'd quit her last job, which had her working with high-concentration sulphuric acid on open desk surfaces, no air re-circ, no PPE except for latex gloves.

Ridiculous.

That’s awful. I am very strict about safety, much to my past coworkers annoyment. Especially safety glasses, I never want to use an eye wash station.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Some how empower* found new way to be bad. While making a report I wanted it to list only vials less than 13. I tell the report to do so and low and behold I only get vials 10, 11 and 12. I look at it dumbfounded and figured ok, maybe I have to use the between function. Again I o lay get vials 10, 11 and 13. Apparently empower doesn't treat all the data as numbers and treats part as letters. Eventually found a work around but seriously what the gently caress Waters?

* software used for chromatography in pharma land for the lucky ones here who don't use it.
If I never have to use Empower and Waters/TA equipment again, I will be happy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The most dangerous thing i use is 35% HCl, and i only use a fraction of a mL at a time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snack Bitch posted:

That’s awful. I am very strict about safety, much to my past coworkers annoyment. Especially safety glasses, I never want to use an eye wash station.

Please walk into a histology lab where they have histotechs who've been there for like 30 years, you'll have an aneurysm.

They don't wear gloves :ssh:

But yeah like the grizzled molecular biology cat above said, eh, I don't give a gently caress. To be fair I'm not working with incredibly hazardous stuff, and when I do I'm very careful and will put PPE on when appropriate. I have a set of work clothes that have too many bleach/haemotoxylin/eosin/silver nitrate/whatever other fun coloured chemical stains on them.

Oh and I wear glasses all the time, which I know isn't a replacement for safety goggles. Actually this reminds me I should go on Zenni and see if they still have prescription goggles..

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Snack Bitch posted:

I would probably be blind without safety glasses. I was trying to filter a sample with THF through a 0.45 syringe filter and the filter popped off the syringe and the THF misted my safety glasses. Would have had two eyes full of THF without them. I'm that guy in lab now about safety glasses.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm pretty lax on lab coats but gloves, closed toed shoes and safety glasses I'm quite strict on for my lab.

Personally I've found lab coats to be cumbersome, awkward and I've caused 3-4 spills or glassware breakages due to the lab coat alone during my in-lab career so I am pretty averse to them unless we're working with caustics or oxidants (rare for us).

But yeah, safety glasses are the biggest. I got sent to urgent care because I was just walking through the lab going to my desk, not doing any work at all etc as I was just writing that day and was negligent of my PPE. I was 2-3 feet behind someone working and just happened to walk by exactly as they dropped a test tube of P. aeruginosa culture. The tube didn't break but hit the table top perfectly and launched a mL or so of culture into the air on a perfect trajectory right into my loving eye.

e: it was actually kind of humorous otherwise.

My friend: "did that..."
me: "yeah"
me: "was that"
my friend: "yeah... ok lets get you to the clinic"

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 31, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Lab coats are required where I work, but my position in particular doesn't really deal with anything dangerous so everything else is optional. Sometimes I wear gloves anyway just to help keep my hands from getting dry and cracked. :v:

One time the eyewash stations were down for maintenance right when someone got a ton of hydrogen peroxide in their eyes so that was definitely An Incident that led to a lot of frantic emails and changes lol.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 1, 2019

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone here happen to have worked at Cambrex in the last few years?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My operators made my loving week yesterday. I received a nasty e-mail from QA wanting to know how our operators managed to tare six straight bags at exactly 140.0 grams each, when they have way higher variability than that.

The record looks something like this...

code:
Balance ID:  XXXXXXX
Gross Weight: 80.8442 KG.
Tare Weight:  140.0 G
Net Weight:  80.7042 KG

Performed By:  YYYYYYY.   Verified By:  ZZZZZZZ
Repeat something like that over and over, six times. We went and got the two operators and asked them to explain themselves. Data adulteration is basically one of those insta-fire things, so yeah, kinda want to get all the stuff sorted out before making any accusations. Ends up, it wasn't adulteration of data. It was... everything else.

The gross weight was on the balance identified in the record, but they'd weighed the bag tare weights on a different balance which they failed to document in the record, and for which they didn't even bother making a process comment. Failure to document activities performed / correct balance.

The balance they used to weigh the bags was only calibrated for down to 1KG weight. Incorrect balance, not fit-for-purpose.

The balance they used to weigh the bags goes down to two decimal places in kilograms. It was reporting the bags as 0.14KG each, which the operators recorded as 140.0G. Precision? Accuracy? WHO NEEDS 'EM?

They then subtracted all these things directly without accounting for significant figures. It might have worked if 140.0G was a legit measure, but noooope. Significant figures.

The verifier then signed that this was all okay based on the numbers. He didn't actually see it performed. P/V duty failure.

The CAPA for this investigation are gonna be so loving fun. :suicide:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Holy balls. That sure sounds like an instant fire to.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Sundae posted:

Balance Fun

There is a reason balances always have the minimum weight marked on the cal sticker...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Brilliant co-worker ran an organic solvent through the TOC.

:negative:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Brilliant co-worker ran an organic solvent through the TOC.

:negative:

For the uninformed what's a TOC?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shrieking Muppet posted:

For the uninformed what's a TOC?

Total organic carbon analyzer. Usually used to see ppmish levels of organic carbon in water. Now it's full of carbon and won't return to baseline.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Total organic carbon analysis is my guess. I don't think an organic solvent will play nice with any of the TOC analysis methods.

Edit what demon said

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Total organic carbon analyzer. Usually used to see ppmish levels of organic carbon in water. Now it's full of carbon and won't return to baseline.

Yeah that sounds like it's hosed

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Johnny Truant posted:

Please walk into a histology lab where they have histotechs who've been there for like 30 years, you'll have an aneurysm.

They don't wear gloves :ssh:

But yeah like the grizzled molecular biology cat above said, eh, I don't give a gently caress. To be fair I'm not working with incredibly hazardous stuff, and when I do I'm very careful and will put PPE on when appropriate. I have a set of work clothes that have too many bleach/haemotoxylin/eosin/silver nitrate/whatever other fun coloured chemical stains on them.

Oh and I wear glasses all the time, which I know isn't a replacement for safety goggles. Actually this reminds me I should go on Zenni and see if they still have prescription goggles..

Most of the poo poo in bio labs isn't nearly as dangerous as it's made out to be. Ethidium bromide is a great example.

the only time I wear real PPE is when I'm doing a massive mouse harvest - lab coat keeps their gibs from getting on my clothing. I usually wear hospital scrubs on days I am doing big mouse harvests, too.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Edit: woops wrong thread.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Most of the poo poo in bio labs isn't nearly as dangerous as it's made out to be. Ethidium bromide is a great example.

the only time I wear real PPE is when I'm doing a massive mouse harvest - lab coat keeps their gibs from getting on my clothing. I usually wear hospital scrubs on days I am doing big mouse harvests, too.

:agreed:

Concentrated hydrochloric or formic acid is probably the most dangerous stuff I work with, and you bet your rear end I'm careful with those. Formic acid hurts like a motherfucker!

I guess DAB is pretty bad, too? :shrug:

Part of me misses doing autopsies, but I reallllllllly don't miss wearing 3 layers of PPE and sweating so much that the polymer gown becomes a second skin..

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Johnny Truant posted:

:agreed:

Concentrated hydrochloric or formic acid is probably the most dangerous stuff I work with, and you bet your rear end I'm careful with those. Formic acid hurts like a motherfucker!

I guess DAB is pretty bad, too? :shrug:

Part of me misses doing autopsies, but I reallllllllly don't miss wearing 3 layers of PPE and sweating so much that the polymer gown becomes a second skin..

Yeah I think concentrated HCl or sufuric acid are the most dangerous things I work with - if you use them in a hood with a lab coat/ it's not a problem.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I work with pyrophorics now so uh yeah, I’m not burning to death so I can be an edgy hardass in the lab

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

I work with pyrophorics now so uh yeah, I’m not burning to death so I can be an edgy hardass in the lab

Look at this non-edgy softass, everybody! :clint:

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Yeah I think concentrated HCl or sufuric acid are the most dangerous things I work with - if you use them in a hood with a lab coat/ it's not a problem.

Fun HCl story: we use 2M to quench AgNO3 waste after one of our stains, and for the longest time I misread the SOP and was just using concentrated to quench it; probably used 2L before I realized I just wanted so drat much, ha!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bastard Tetris posted:

My my, hey hey

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Johnny Truant posted:

Look at this non-edgy softass, everybody! :clint:

Fun HCl story: we use 2M to quench AgNO3 waste after one of our stains, and for the longest time I misread the SOP and was just using concentrated to quench it; probably used 2L before I realized I just wanted so drat much, ha!

Are you doing silver nitrate protein/carbohydrate stains? Per my protocol I quench in a methanol/acetic acid sol'n that isn't nearly as nasty as even HCl.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Are you doing silver nitrate protein/carbohydrate stains? Per my protocol I quench in a methanol/acetic acid sol'n that isn't nearly as nasty as even HCl.

Modified bielschowski stain, for neuropathology and neurons/myelin :bubblewoop:

I'm still torn between formic acid and whatever weird broth they use to incubate our plasmids for worst smelling reagent. On the one hand, formic acid burns. On the other, Jesus Christ what even is this evil plasmid broth, sewer water and ammonia's bastard? :psyduck:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Worst smell I think we have is tetramethylammoimium hydroxide. Smells like rotting fish and :ohno:.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
lol I got a CV of .0045% today

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Changed my mind, beta-mercaptoethanol is the foulest smelling thing on this goddamn planet, holy poo poo.

Also, don't you love when you're in the middle of a protocol and two other people decide to piggyback halfway through said protocol without helping to prep at all, then start asking you if you did this step? Or if you did this step properly? Oh did you let this come to room temperature? ..in the middle of the protocol, when you're performing the pipetting step that requires all of your attention? And stand directly in front of the bench you're doing your work at, and not move even after you've had to navigate around them nearly six times?

:murder:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Any of y’all at pittcon this year? I’ll be in the informatics section hawking LIMS if you’re bored.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The foulest smelling substances are actually my farts

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The foulest smelling substances are actually my farts

It's an honor to meet you, E. coli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Boss wants to buy a fluorescence spectrophotometer and we haven't used anything except a decade-old Cary Eclipse. Has anything changed recently so that there is something out there way better or cheaper and can have Peltier or other temperature control and do polarization measurements?