Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Morphix posted:

goddamn it

i was really hoping that you know, after all the awards, all the money they probably made on this thing, they could have hired a few extra people and not re-do this same early access slow rear end development bullshit that if you participate at all, basically spoils the game for yourself. but gently caress a hover cycle on the snow? i mean, goddamn you developers, goddamn you for tempting me

e- lol the assholes are making cute jokes about it

drat

This thing is lit!

Plus I am really interested in the Sea Truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

DapperDon posted:

This thing is lit!

don't fall into the jpeg trap again!!!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Daztek posted:

don't fall into the jpeg trap again!!!

Surprisingly enough, they all come with the game.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

DapperDon posted:

This thing is lit!

goddamn it, I KNOW! I loving KNOW!

But I'm still giving these jerks a loan for a promise. It worked out great the first time for all involved, so why can't they just take some of that money and just complete the product and release it. I'm not saying they won't deliver again, all signs point to yes, but aren't we essentially agreeing to forever fund this promise and time and time again have shown that usually it just ends in dissapointment. people get greedy and lazy with the free money.

haaaving said that, how much of the cool stuff in the trailer is in the current build? Because this game handled really terribly on foot, so I'm really wondering about all this above ground stuff in the trailer.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

DapperDon posted:

Surprisingly enough, they all come with the game.

But... But... How will I increase my self worth if I can't buy all the things that POOR fud goonsters can't buy?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SabinBlitz posted:

But... But... How will I increase my self worth if I can't buy all the things that POOR fud goonsters can't buy?

Think of that warm feeling of accomplishment that will wash over you the moment you have to actually do the in game things necessary for you to have them. Then realize that it is a single player game with zero intentions for being multiplayer.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

Think of that warm feeling of accomplishment that will wash over you the moment you have to actually do the in game things necessary for you to have them. Then realize that it is a single player game with zero intentions for being multiplayer.

Sounds like you don't understand pre-alpha to me.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Watched a little bit of a twitch stream, performance seems to be about the same bullshit as before, stutters and terrible pop in like before. Glad we can hear the song and dance about performance bugs being fixed this time for suuuure. And the endless people really sure that it's been fixed, or at least it seems like it's fixed, okay maybe it's not but...

Ya I think I'll wait on buying this badboy.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Stop buying early access games you goofs, just wait until it's finished.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SabinBlitz posted:

Sounds like you don't understand pre-alpha to me.

I don't. I'm recklessly optimistic that way.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Enchanted Hat posted:

I did you one better than that. I waited until it was freeeeeeeee.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

DapperDon posted:

This thing is lit!

Sweet you can already buy the toy version of it too:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

teh_Broseph posted:

Sweet you can already buy the toy version of it too:

HOLY poo poo I LOVED THOSE TOYS! I remember having the red camaro and the black chevy blazer ones.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

DapperDon posted:

HOLY poo poo I LOVED THOSE TOYS! I remember having the red camaro and the black chevy blazer ones.

I still have the purple 300zx or whatever it is that has wings, rocket boosters, missiles AND an ejector seat.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Star Citizen: What a horrible night to have a Chris

CitizenVania: what a hairy night to have a roberts.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

In summary, Star Citizen is good now

of course. it is released. its “out there“.
thousends of players, twitch streamers and whatnot.
it changed the gaming landscape forever.
it taught grandmother to suck eggs.
its legendary.

just like SOTA.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This hurts the dog. :colbert:

Enchanted Hat posted:

Good advice.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Morphix posted:

hahaha holy moly

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/371606034

that video linked is awesome. because it's such a simple thing, it's a space game, so 7+ years how is landing still a problem?!

The really funny thing with that video is that it's totally intemporal.

By that, I mean, it could've been recorded in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 or last week, there would be absolutely no way to know. Besides some UI changes maybe.

It's like the game hasn't progressed ( in terms of quality ) in 4 years.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Enchanted Hat posted:

I don't play this game, making universal rules and then sticking to them even if it doesn't make sense. I prefer to use judgement. Subnautica was a good game and the company did well by its backers, for the most part. Therefore if I feel like spending on another of their early access games, I will use that judgement to determine that it's more likely to go well than Fallout 76 did.

You can tell how great this approach has served me because Chris Roberts has some of my money.

On second thought, I will never buy an early access game again.

Counterpoint: how can you wait until a game is finished when a moron like Chris can't actually finish the game? Stalemate, goonie.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Bumble He posted:

CitizenVania: what a hairy night to have a roberts.

Hmmm... FacileVania, maybe? The Warlord's FUD has vanquished the horrible shite.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Morphix posted:

hahaha holy moly

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/371606034

that video linked is awesome. because it's such a simple thing, it's a space game, so 7+ years how is landing still a problem?!

mmmmm taste the noclip mode

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Enchanted Hat posted:

Listen to forums poster Enchanted Hat everyone please. Thank you.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Early access for a game that was supposed to come out 5 years ago is entirely different, however, and worth the money for sure.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:laffo:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Hmmm... FacileVania, maybe? The Warlord's FUD has vanquished the horrible shite.

Derek Belmont: Die monster. You don't belong in this world!
Robert-u-la: It was not by my hand that I am once again given cash. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Derek Belmont: Tribute!?! You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!
Robert-u-la: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions...
Derek Belmont: Your 'verse is as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
Robert-u-la: What is a man? A miserable little pile of JPEGs. But enough talk... Have at you!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So, basically, git gud scrub. I've heard that somewhere before.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Breetai posted:

Is that the one with the picture of the massive mining machines just tearing into each other because two brothers were fighting over a claim?

Could very well have been.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Goons!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Hey childhood Foss bro! Somehow the library in my small Midwest hometown ended up with a couple of the Terran Trade Authority books. I’m still mystified as to how that might have happened- the books were Great Space Battles and Spacecraft 2000 to 2100 AD, I think- but I vividly remember checking them out over and over just to gawk at that art. The pictures were clearly not intended to match the fiction, which was not great even to my tiny 12 year old brain, but god drat that art was amazing.

Years later I discovered that the best of those paintings, the ones that I kept coming back to, and the ones that I remembered years later, were by this legendary Chris Foss dude.

http://www.terrantradeauthority.com

Also :eyepop::

“Foss's numerous illustrations for the sex manual The Joy of Sex are done in a much softer, natural style. The illustrations were based on photographs taken by Chris in his studio in Fulham, London.”

Nggghhh...... he did the illustrations for The Joy of Sex?

I..... i'm.... confused. I don't know how to feel about this. But... i feel tumescence.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Enchanted Hat posted:

Nope. Buy early access when you are sure the devs can deliver.

I bought the following games early access:

Subnautica
Fortnite: Save the World
Ark
Elite: Dangerous (beta)
Paladins

Plus probably some others. And each and every one delivered a loving awesome game that i thoroughly enjoyed.

You know which game i didn't back early access? Go on, take a guess.

Star loving Cretizen. Because i saw early on they were not going to be able to deliver on even half of what they promised.

Am i a loving prophet? Nope! I just have my eyes open.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Bumble He posted:

Derek Belmont: Die monster. You don't belong in this world!
Robert-u-la: It was not by my hand that I am once again given cash. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Derek Belmont: Tribute!?! You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!
Robert-u-la: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions...
Derek Belmont: Your 'verse is as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
Robert-u-la: What is a man? A miserable little pile of JPEGs. But enough talk... Have at you!

:five::five::five:

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 31, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Some of the first bits of aftermath in regard to "my dreams!" vs "reality" coming to play?

I'm sure this guy figured he'd be a Han Solo of professional smuggling or something, but suddenly he was reminded it's just a lovely arena shooter game where the only fun thing to do is kill other players.

Sorry he can't enjoy CRs vision! :byodame:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

I have found 3 so far. I have several alien containment units that I raise the most dangerous predators in mass quantities and then take them to different biomes and release them to destroy their ecosystem and re-populate them with my behavior modified predators so I can farm uninterrupted. My plan is to get enough to swarm a Reaper Leviathan to take it down like good pets.

Jeff Goldblum would say that you were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn't stop to think if you should. :colbert:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hobold posted:

All we need now for peak gaming fuckery and stupidity, is for Epic to try and make it so any game developed on Unreal engine, has to be exclusive to the Epic store.

Please, I almost want to see them try that so I can blow up in their face.

It seems Epic has already said they will be waiving any engine royalties for Unreal Engine games sold on the Epic store, which is probably a much better carrot than the stick of making them exclusive by force.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Will CIG license out its tech in the future?
No

New Octodad game announced

Will CIG license out its tech in the future?
Hell yes!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Bizarro World is a cool place to live. Every thing is opposite of what it should be.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Guys! Quick!

I need a cumbersome engine based on 10 year old technology!

Some of my requirements are it has to crash a lot, be very slow, somehow maybe have 64-bit precision for some reason, and make pretty screenshots!

I need all the modules to be hacked in and barely functional! Player avatars need to be unreliable and often vanish into the geometry around them to catapult into death!

I need this fast anybody know where I can get that kind of technology?!!?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think something everybody on CIGs engine wishlist is forgetting, beyond the broken engine that is nigh unusable, is that people license an engine to speed up a process of building an engine.

Licensing an engine and then still taking a decade to produce something barely an alpha is not something a logical company wants to do. At least if they want to stay in business.

I'm not sure the CIG lightning rod of money is tied to the terrible engine, but maybe I'm wrong and CryEngine is about to make a huge and sudden comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Day 1
Development of Octodad 2 : Dad in Space
"OK so I installed the tech we got from CIG and I think we're good to ship this now"

*octospacedad wobbles off screen*