Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Trailer Wars? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2429800/

Its an Alamo Drafthouse movie. Made from crazy 70s trailers. It has lots of good parts from tons of terrible movies.\

It lead me to the most amazing song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HRFsyoeYTw

I wasn't the one asking, but that looks awesome, I'd watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Trevor Hale posted:

Simon Birch. You forgot “Simon is put in to his first little league game and swings and hits a foul ball that kills his best friend’s mother”

That this is all less batshit crazy than the short story its based on blows my mind every day.

Short story? A Prayer for Owen Meany is a novel, and a rather lengthy one at that.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

FitFortDanga posted:

Short story? A Prayer for Owen Meany is a novel, and a rather lengthy one at that.

I never read it. Just the wiki. And it is.....a trip

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Trevor Hale posted:

I never read it. Just the wiki. And it is.....a trip

It's a very good novel. Simon Birch, while an interesting film (especially casting Oliver Platt as the stepfather, that was brilliant casting), comes nowhere to doing the novel justice, but it's hard to film a novel that follows a friendship for 20+ years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There is a scene from a movie that I remember incredibly vaguely. I don't know the movie's genre, nationality, or when it was made. It was definitely in English, I do remember that. And it was live-action, not animated.
There's a chance I may be thinking of an episode of a television show, not a movie at all.

The scene is that a character, probably the protagonist, is challenging a person in authority. I think it was a boss in an office environment but I'm not sure. The authority figure had previously been established to be incompetent, or cruel, or uncaring, generally bad in some way. The really specific thing I remember is a minor character watching the confrontation and very quietly supporting the person who was confronting the authority figure. Pumping their fist in a small way and whispering something like, "Yeah, tell 'em" through clenched teeth.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
There are a lot of scenes like that: Newly Empowered Protagonist publicly challenges Angry Bully, while Victimized/Timid Minor Character indicates support. Couple of scenes that come to mind are Revenge of the Nerds, Strictly Ballroom, Kindergarten Cop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gripweed posted:

There is a scene from a movie that I remember incredibly vaguely. I don't know the movie's genre, nationality, or when it was made. It was definitely in English, I do remember that. And it was live-action, not animated.
There's a chance I may be thinking of an episode of a television show, not a movie at all.

The scene is that a character, probably the protagonist, is challenging a person in authority. I think it was a boss in an office environment but I'm not sure. The authority figure had previously been established to be incompetent, or cruel, or uncaring, generally bad in some way. The really specific thing I remember is a minor character watching the confrontation and very quietly supporting the person who was confronting the authority figure. Pumping their fist in a small way and whispering something like, "Yeah, tell 'em" through clenched teeth.

I can only think of two examples of this, and I highly doubt they're what you're thinking of, but whatever:

1. Ghostbusters - Egon yelling at Walter Peck in the basement, and a possessed Louis Tully is pointing at Peck, mimicking what Egon's doing.
2. A recurring Kids in the Hall skit where a guy is in an alleyway about to fight someone else, and his sidekick is talking him up all the time. Man, I gotta watch those again.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Gripweed posted:

This reminds me of that banned Nutrigrain commercial.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Babies everywhere.....

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

YYYEEEAAAAAHHHH

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Macaroni posted:

There are a lot of scenes like that: Newly Empowered Protagonist publicly challenges Angry Bully, while Victimized/Timid Minor Character indicates support. Couple of scenes that come to mind are Revenge of the Nerds, Strictly Ballroom, Kindergarten Cop.

That's what I was afraid of, that even if people could think of a scene that matched that description it might not be the specific one I was thinking of. I haven't seen Revenge of the Nerds or Strictly Ballroom, and I don't think it was Kindergarten Cop because I remember the timid character to be an adult. Thanks, tho

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can only think of two examples of this, and I highly doubt they're what you're thinking of, but whatever:

1. Ghostbusters - Egon yelling at Walter Peck in the basement, and a possessed Louis Tully is pointing at Peck, mimicking what Egon's doing.
2. A recurring Kids in the Hall skit where a guy is in an alleyway about to fight someone else, and his sidekick is talking him up all the time. Man, I gotta watch those again.

No, I've seen both of those and they aren't what I was thinking of. Although they're both really good

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 26, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Pretty sure this happens at least once in most episodes of Better Off Ted (usually involving Lem and Phil) so I'll throw that into the mix as a contender. Bad name, good show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gravy Jones posted:

Pretty sure this happens at least once in most episodes of Better Off Ted (usually involving Lem and Phil) so I'll throw that into the mix as a contender. Bad name, good show.

I think that's it! poo poo, now I have to watch every episode of Better Off Ted again to find the one I'm thinking of.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gripweed posted:

I think that's it! poo poo, now I have to watch every episode of Better Off Ted again to find the one I'm thinking of.

*Does a little fist pump and mouths a silent "YES!"*

FWIW I rewatched it recently and it's held up pretty well.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Ok does this sound like anything? I might be imagining half of this. Black and white, might have been an old sitcom. There's a lot of cats in a house, just meowing constantly. One cat meows at an annoyed boy and he tells the cat "Meow, yourself". A dad comes home.

Really all I remember for sure is a cat meowing at a boy and that response

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Iwas going to say Dr. Kelso and Ted in Scrubs probably have a situation like that in a bunch of episodes.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hy fellers ive been thinking about this old movIe, im pretty sure it stars leslie nielsen in it.... At some point a native american dude shoots an arrow at a barnie the dinosaur type character and th song "we are family" start playing... It might of been one of the naked guns movie is but i think It was something Else..

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The end of Mafia?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bingo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7xTi3yBL4s

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I feel like this one's really obvious, I'm just totally blanking on the specifics - an actor's the protagonist in a movie within the movie and the lines are blurring between what's real and what's acting to him. Like, he has an affair or something and there's a tearful confession to his girlfriend/wife that gets interrupted by a "CUT!" and everyone walks off while he's reeling from it.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
There's some weird horror movie from the 80s I can't remember the name of. It's about a platoon of soldiers somewhere in the jungle(?) maybe Vietnam war era. There's some sort of alien snake or tendril in the muddy water that leaps out and injures or kills one of the soldiers. There's another scene in the same movie where another soldier, I think a black guy, starts repeating some sort of nonsense word over and over like he's crying, then he runs into the paddy and disappears. Seconds later there's an explosion like he stepped on a landmine or something. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but I remember seeing those scenes as a kid and the memory stuck with me.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Flavor Truck posted:

There's some weird horror movie from the 80s I can't remember the name of. It's about a platoon of soldiers somewhere in the jungle(?) maybe Vietnam war era. There's some sort of alien snake or tendril in the muddy water that leaps out and injures or kills one of the soldiers. There's another scene in the same movie where another soldier, I think a black guy, starts repeating some sort of nonsense word over and over like he's crying, then he runs into the paddy and disappears. Seconds later there's an explosion like he stepped on a landmine or something. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but I remember seeing those scenes as a kid and the memory stuck with me.

I haven't seen it in years but Jacob's Ladder is Vietnam and supernatural heavy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

There's a bunch of war flashbacks in "House" (1980's, starring William Katt, George Wendt, and Richard Moll). Maybe that's it?

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like this one's really obvious, I'm just totally blanking on the specifics - an actor's the protagonist in a movie within the movie and the lines are blurring between what's real and what's acting to him. Like, he has an affair or something and there's a tearful confession to his girlfriend/wife that gets interrupted by a "CUT!" and everyone walks off while he's reeling from it.

This feels like it's either EDTV (haven't seen it myself, though) or a Kaufman/Jonez film.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 30, 2019

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Power of Pecota posted:

Possibly Synechdoche, New York? It’s not a movie within a movie but it’s about a play within a play.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Inland Empire also has the blurring of lines between a movie and reality.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yeah Inland Empire was my first thought, although it happens to Laura Dern's character, not a male actor.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Those are all good guesses, but I think it's something else - I don't think they'd call cut with a play, Inland Empire's never that direct about the blurring iirc, and it was definitely darker than EdTV (I want to say there's a hanging question of whether a murder actually happened or if it was just in the film within a film)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
actually that exact thing happens in Inland Empire, where the scene seems real until the director yells "Cut!" and she gets disoriented. The scene is someone dying though, not about an affair.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I remember watching some old war movie set during the Cold War. It was in the 80s, two groups of soldiers fighting in the snow, I think they were Americans and Russians, there are 2 scenes I remember. One was the Americans were in metal culverts, one soldier runs out of ammo, tries to crawl out of the tube but his sleeve is frozen to the metal, this stops him long enough that a Russian troop comes up, their eyes meet, then the Russian shoots down the tube and runs off.

The other scene is the US and Russian commanders are meeting in a bunker, they are walking forward to shake hands when the Russian's second in command throws a grenade in the room and kills them both.

Any help would be great!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

actually that exact thing happens in Inland Empire, where the scene seems real until the director yells "Cut!" and she gets disoriented. The scene is someone dying though, not about an affair.

In that case, I think I'm just crossing wires and it's definitely Inland Empire - it's been a few years, I was just reminded of the scene during Road to Nowhere but couldn't place it at all. Thanks!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There's a similar scene to the one from Inland Empire in Perfect Blue, but it's once again a female actor instead of a man.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Power of Pecota posted:

To add to the previous suggestions, this kind of thing happens repeatedly in Living in Oblivion.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

Power of Pecota posted:

I haven't seen it in a while, but this sounds like The French Lieutenant's Woman.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I haven't seen it in years but Jacob's Ladder is Vietnam and supernatural heavy.

that movie is about a dude who went to vietnam but if i recall takes place almost exclusively inside a hospital? been awhile.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

that movie is about a dude who went to vietnam but if i recall takes place almost exclusively inside a hospital? been awhile.

Jacob's Ladder?

No, there's only one or two scenes in a hospital. There are a lot of scenes in Vietnam, but the majority of the setting is in a cold foggy city.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Light Gun Man posted:

It's a movie about a dude who went to vietnam but takes place almost exclusively inside Silent Hill.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Jacob's Ladder?

No, there's only one or two scenes in a hospital. There are a lot of scenes in Vietnam, but the majority of the setting is in a cold foggy city.

yeah my memory sucks then, wow

Skyscraper posted:

It's a movie about a dude who went to vietnam but takes place almost exclusively inside Silent Hill.

:hmmyes:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
They ain't lyin' it's Silent Hill

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jacob's Ladder was one of the primary inspirations for Silent Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Jacob's ladder somehow has so many people in random bit parts I forgot about. Jason Alexander, Lewis Black, Kyle Gass, Ving Rhames and Macaulay Culkin are all in it.