Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

All Wolfenstein games are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

h**k yeah new page. Have some dead Nazis.

GUI fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 14, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Flannelette posted:

TNO but with some of the things 09 did better would be optimal.

Old Blood with the artifact from 09.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm confident I or someone else mentioned it in this thread (or another Wolf thread) at some point, but it bears repeating: if you liked Wolf09, play Singularity. It's pretty much Wolfenstein: Soviet Russia Edition and it's a hoot.

Also holy poo poo Wolf09 turns 10 this year. What the gently caress.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The Old Blood is great because it's straightforward. I felt that the base segments of the other ones are the worst part.

Also Wolfenstein 09 is criminally underrated.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I'm confident I or someone else mentioned it in this thread (or another Wolf thread) at some point, but it bears repeating: if you liked Wolf09, play Singularity. It's pretty much Wolfenstein: Soviet Russia Edition and it's a hoot.

People should play all the Ravensoft games, they've been consistently on the good end of the scale.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Singularity has much more in common with MachineGames' take on the Wolfenstein franchise aka heavily influenced by Half-Life than Wolfenstein 2009.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GUI posted:

Singularity has much more in common with MachineGames' take on the Wolfenstein franchise aka heavily influenced by Half-Life than Wolfenstein 2009.

Definitely disagree, the flow of combat and tone are very Wolf09, and the “time” powers are really, really similar to the “Veil” powers of Wolf09. It’s really clear that both games were made by the same studio, essentially back to back.

I mean either way Singularity is still a lot of fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xenomrph posted:

I had the exact opposite response; played Wolf09 well after release, was surprised how much I liked it, eagerly booted up Singularity and was quickly let down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chaosapiant posted:

I take all the games as canon and just use mentally ambiguous time lines. The gist being that poo poo from 3D, RTCW and 09 is “stuff that BJ did/happened to BJ” and let the games pick up from there. I think that’s the designer’s intention as well.

i kinda assumed at least with the machine games ones that RTCW and 09 were canon at least to an extent. who knows with 3d since hitler seems to be alive and "well"(not undead at least)

thebardyspoon posted:

Probably will get more after Rage 2 is out, since there'll be a bit of a gap for Bethesda published stuff then.

we will probaly see the new games hit in the summer and probably a trailer for 3 at e3.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GUI posted:

All Wolfenstein games are good.

Agreed. I still hope we get at least a quick Black Sun bit in a later game.

I also go to bat for Singularity and consider it an honorary Wolfenstein game. gently caress I loved the Seeker Rifle.

Actually, that makes me wonder, what are your favourite weapons from Wolfenstein? The Particle Cannon is great and the Lasergewehr gives me nice flashbacks to it. All of MachineGames' shotguns are nice, and I do kinda love the fully upgrade MP-40 from '09.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love the Bombenschuss. More games need overpowered bolt action rifles.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The issue with Wolf 09 is less that it’s underrated (it is tho) but that it’s the only Wolf game not available digitally. I no longer buy games on disc anymore unless it’s a collector’s edition and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love the Bombenschuss. More games need overpowered bolt action rifles.

That's what I've been saying. Most Wolf weapons have been detailed and well-animated, but for my money, I always fall back to things like a double-barreled shotgun or bolt action. I just generally enjoy using them more than some complicated black hunk of sci-fi steel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just generally enjoy using them more than some complicated black hunk of sci-fi steel.

On that topic, New Colossus's weapons look like black hunks of sci-fi steel. I hate the new look of the STG-60 when the STG-60 and the '46 variant from Old Blood looked so good.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Noah Caldweel-Gervais did a pretty good essay on this game very recently (all his videos are good, watch them). Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGhFBupwfdU

Also reposting Errant Signal's/Campster's one since it was great as well and probably the only one I've seen mentioning the game's subtler takes on masculinity/femininity which I feel everyone ignores in favour of making another video/article on how it deals with American patriotism. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJBoHVdihg

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Has any new info on Youngblood been released? Game's supposedly coming out this year.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wait until Rage 2 is out. Youngblood is a smaller budget expansion pack game so they'll probably announce some news at E3 along all their big games like Doom Eternal, have it playable at Quakecon and release it somewhere around late August-October.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nothing yet. My fear is it's going to be a Bethesda Launcher exclusive and lol fuuuuuuuck if I'm going to put that incompetent poo poo on my PC.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rage 2 is so it probably will be as well.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
One thing I'll give TNC is that it's loving gorgeous. Probably the only game I've ever played that looks like concept art in motion. Yeah, some of that's wasted on very similar fascist bunkertunnels, but at least they're wonderfully rendered!

Also it has fantastic lasers. I don't think I've ever played a game with lasers that actually felt satisfying and powerful, but the heavy laser weapons in New Colossus pull it off.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That laser gun and the proto-BFG look/sound/feel amazing and it's a shame they're suicidal to use on anything above Normal. At the very least they should've let you run at default weapon sprinting speed with them once BJ 2.0 comes into action, and maybe let you carry them in your inventory like that perk from TOB.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GUI posted:

Rage 2 is so it probably will be as well.

I think Rage 2 has been confirmed. I kinda hope this doesn't last, I have zero desire to install another loving launcher, not even for Wolfenstein.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Steam, Uplay, Battle.net, Epic Launcher, Origin, Bethesda Launcher. It's too late now, you can't stop it...

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm resigned to it myself, I'm going to install it for Doom Eternal definitely whenever that comes out so I may as well install it for a game coming out before that if its received well. Rage 2 might be that game or the next Wolfenstein might be.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

General Battuta posted:

Also it has fantastic lasers. I don't think I've ever played a game with lasers that actually felt satisfying and powerful, but the heavy laser weapons in New Colossus pull it off.
Yeah, the way they disintegrate stuff is just so cool to look at. Unfortunately I found the heavy laser to easily be the worst of those big guns since you had to focus fire and it slowed you down so.

catlord posted:

I think Rage 2 has been confirmed. I kinda hope this doesn't last, I have zero desire to install another loving launcher, not even for Wolfenstein.
Currently Rage 2 is only available for preorder on Bethesda's lovely launcher, but I don't think they've actually confirmed whether/when the game will be coming to Steam because Bethesda is awful at communicating.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Awww yeah. Soon™

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/1110549496642060290

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Finally(TM).

Mordja posted:

Yeah, the way they disintegrate stuff is just so cool to look at. Unfortunately I found the heavy laser to easily be the worst of those big guns since you had to focus fire and it slowed you down so.

Currently Rage 2 is only available for preorder on Bethesda's lovely launcher, but I don't think they've actually confirmed whether/when the game will be coming to Steam because Bethesda is awful at communicating.
Crisis averted!

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1110225138979651584

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Makes sense, it's an easy step to make and gets them some good press right now when everyone is all het up about the Epic store stuff in general and Fallout 76 specifically for Bethesda.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNpgKytPcc4

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Story trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNpgKytPcc4

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

oh yes, just pump this right in my veins. . .

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I called it with the story involving Caroline's Paris Catacombs mission back in New Colossus. BJ is on some sort of mission to help his old friend even after death. I loving love the Drew Struzan style thumbnail.

Also:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmmm, it looks kind of...cheap. And by that I mean the facial animations look real bad for a series that's known for its main characters emoting. Too-brief snippets of gameplay look too much like TNC but hopefully there's a full demo out of PAX.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That looks pretty bad.

They're trying way too hard to be edgy and cool now, starting to feel like TNO and TOB were just flukes.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The trailers not being good at representing the franchise's current tone and going for a wacky action game route has been a thing since TNO back in 2013. I'd wait until it's out.

I appreciate them keeping Grace around to piss off the chuds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's all good because Grace is loving awesome.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GUI posted:

The trailers not being good at representing the franchise's current tone and going for a wacky action game route has been a thing since TNO back in 2013. I'd wait until it's out.
Yeah, especially because a AAA video game trailer would never show off the quiet character moments the games had either.

I'm totally in.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 27, 2019

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Christ.... this game would be loving sick if there was no dialogue.

I'm still gonna buy it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I love that music and love shooting nazis and while I can't say the twins have won me over yet the crews in both Wolf 1 and 2 ended up endearing themselves to me so I'm optimistic!

The trailer seems to at least imply the Americans have succeeded in pushing the Nazis out if they have a working FBI with office buildings and such, which at least mitigates the "wait, it's the future and BJ lost???" problem, though we'll have to wait for more details to see what the deal is obv.