Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
"New explanation for Alexander the Great's death" [YAEFATGD]:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190122115006.htm

"It may have happened more than 2,300 years ago, but the mystery of Alexander the Great's death could finally be solved, thanks to a University of Otago, New Zealand, academic."

Finally Solved!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain%E2%80%93Barr%C3%A9_syndrome

Reasonable, but I think we're gonna need a hepatoscopy from him to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Well according to other sources when he died the air filled with mist and darkness fell, a star fell from the sky carried by a giant eagle and the statue of Zeus in Babylon was shaken. I bet their diagnosis doesn't cover those sources.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

British Museum posted another good video describing part of their Assyrian collection. Its maybe the most pro-follow internet channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpe7fevbReA

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I have a couple weeks in late February that I'll be in Europe, any must sees? I'm strongly considering Rome but am worried it will be too crowded/expensive, even this time of year.
I speak French quite well in addition to English, if that matters.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this or if it's a frequently answered question but I think the posters here are most likely to have the best advice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You speak French and you're interested in Roman history?? Go to Nîmes.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
There are a lot of Roman ruins all over the place. Ok yeah they arent all Rome but it might be easier to pick places you want to go and see what Roman ruins are nearby. Even places that arent famous for it have big Roman ruins. Jordan has Petra for example, but the capital Amman has a big theatre in the city and the ruins of a roman city not too far outside of town.

Theres a tourism subforum for ask and tell with a europe thread too

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Herbotron posted:

I have a couple weeks in late February that I'll be in Europe, any must sees? I'm strongly considering Rome but am worried it will be too crowded/expensive, even this time of year.
I speak French quite well in addition to English, if that matters.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this or if it's a frequently answered question but I think the posters here are most likely to have the best advice.

Pompeii, Merida, Bath

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

FAUXTON posted:

Pompeii, Merida, Bath

....İstanbul

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

Pompeii, Merida, Bath
any sentence involving bath is at least 2x as good if you say "a Bath" instead

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

any sentence involving bath is at least 2x as good if you say "a Bath" instead

The tour I went on at the Roman Baths in Bath, England was pretty neat, they talked about the heated flooring and how they did the whole "lather you with oil in the heat room, then scrape it all off after a dip in the cold water" thing (which sounds like a recipe for acne in places you never expect) etc.

It was quite thorough and aside from the old london ghost walk it's the most memorable thing from the times I visited England.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not necessarily just Roman history, but if you decide to spend a significant amount of time in France at all my two suggestions for history buffs are always:
1. Musée de l'Armée in Paris. It's got a ton of cool stuff, including Napoleon's tomb.
2. Normandy in general was great. Norman castles, the Bayeux tapestry (Bayeux itself was relatively untouched by WW2 and there are Roman ruins intact there as well), WW2 battlefields, etc. Plus it's beautiful country. I enjoyed riding the train around there.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Thanks for all the advice! Pompeii would be amazing and I do have other reasons to consider making London part of my trip, so Bath wouldn't be too out of the way.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Rome is 100% worth it even with the crowds. The Vatican museum was the only place I went where the crowds really detracted from it. Tiberius' Villa on Capri is less well known but still really cool if you can make the hike. We literally had the place to ourselves on a weekday morning.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not necessarily just Roman history, but if you decide to spend a significant amount of time in France at all my two suggestions for history buffs are always:
1. Musée de l'Armée in Paris. It's got a ton of cool stuff, including Napoleon's tomb.
2. Normandy in general was great. Norman castles, the Bayeux tapestry (Bayeux itself was relatively untouched by WW2 and there are Roman ruins intact there as well), WW2 battlefields, etc. Plus it's beautiful country. I enjoyed riding the train around there.

Also very cool Roman ruins all over Provence, but definitely more of an investment to visit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rome's always going to be crowded because it's Rome, just go if you want to see it. It's not that bad. Also look up all the multiple entry tickets, since waiting in ticket lines is what really eats your time. But you can almost always get a ticket that lets you into everything in an area and pick it up somewhere that isn't crowded then slide past all those fools in line.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Grevling posted:

Does anything know about what Greek soldiers ate? I've been translating some of Archilochus' poems as part of my studies and there was this elegy:

"In the spear is my kneaded bread, in the spear my Ismarian wine, when I drink I recline on the spear."

The word for bread here is maza[/], funnily enough where we get our word "mass" from. It just means a kneaded mass. In my commentaries it is suggested that it's either figurative (he earns his bread and wine soldiering) or that he literally carries some bread and wine on his spear, as I think Mycenean soldiers are depicted once. Ismaric wine is the same wine Odysseus uses to get the Cyclops drunk, so strong enough that you can carry just a small amount for diluting. But the author also suggests that maza was a dough to which they added water and then ate uncooked. That sounds unpleasant. Maybe they made little cakes out of the barley and cooked them in their campfires?

I just made some barley cakes now and cooked them in a frying pan like little tortillas. Not too bad, in fact.

Barley would have likely been their major source of calories, more likely in a porridge or gruel than as bread for most meals. Curiously, pre-Roman Greeks thought onions were super important to eat if you were doing hard labor or an athlete so it would have been an important staple for soldiers as well. Wine, olives, and olive oil would have been consumed whenever they could get them. Xenophon as well as a few other sources specifically mentions garlic as being eaten by soldiers. Even now in modern Greece gathering wild greens ("horta") to make salads is a culturally significant activity so I think they probably would have foraged vegetables and herbs from their surroundings.

If you can wade through the crazy sites promoting modern "Spartan" diets that might give you a baseline for how soldiers ate. Spartans were notoriously strict in their diet though so I'd guess that the average soldier ate [i]better
than the traditional Spartan diet. Especially since soldiers would have mostly been responsible for providing their own food and what they could afford and were wise enough to bring would have varied a lot.

It was a thing that when you made a sacrifice to the gods that you mostly gave them the disgusting parts of the animal and ate the rest yourself, so soldiers would likely have gotten at least some meat, especially beef, that way. One of the stories about Prometheus even credits him with tricking Zeus into demanding meatless, inedible bones, covered in fat so that it looked appetizing, as the Olympian's portion and agreeing to let the mortals eat the actually good parts of the animal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Rome's always going to be crowded because it's Rome, just go if you want to see it. It's not that bad. Also look up all the multiple entry tickets, since waiting in ticket lines is what really eats your time. But you can almost always get a ticket that lets you into everything in an area and pick it up somewhere that isn't crowded then slide past all those fools in line.

When I was in Rome the airport train station was selling packages of something like the Colosseum, forum and five museums of your choice, plus three days of subway/bus pass, for 50 euros. Didn't have to wait in line for tickets any of it (but you obviously can't skip security lines)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cheetah7071 posted:

When I was in Rome the airport train station was selling packages of something like the Colosseum, forum and five museums of your choice, plus three days of subway/bus pass, for 50 euros. Didn't have to wait in line for tickets any of it (but you obviously can't skip security lines)

That sounds like a good deal. I know the forum and Colosseum have a unified ticket, and I think there's one for most of the museums.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Herbotron posted:

Thanks for all the advice! Pompeii would be amazing and I do have other reasons to consider making London part of my trip, so Bath wouldn't be too out of the way.

The British Museum may be the shrine of a colonial legacy of looting and exploitation, but it's also my favorite place in the whole world and is a reason to go to London by itself. It's always crowded, but it's free!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, if you buy a Vatican ticket online you get to skip a huge queue abf head in.

The Vatican also has s surprisingly large Egyptian collection, and the hall of maps which is amazing and everyone just walks through it. The Sistine Chapel is kinda poo poo though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

More an artefact than a shrine IMO

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

LLSix posted:

Barley would have likely been their major source of calories, more likely in a porridge or gruel than as bread for most meals. Curiously, pre-Roman Greeks thought onions were super important to eat if you were doing hard labor or an athlete so it would have been an important staple for soldiers as well. Wine, olives, and olive oil would have been consumed whenever they could get them. Xenophon as well as a few other sources specifically mentions garlic as being eaten by soldiers. Even now in modern Greece gathering wild greens ("horta") to make salads is a culturally significant activity so I think they probably would have foraged vegetables and herbs from their surroundings.

If you can wade through the crazy sites promoting modern "Spartan" diets that might give you a baseline for how soldiers ate. Spartans were notoriously strict in their diet though so I'd guess that the average soldier ate better than the traditional Spartan diet. Especially since soldiers would have mostly been responsible for providing their own food and what they could afford and were wise enough to bring would have varied a lot.

It was a thing that when you made a sacrifice to the gods that you mostly gave them the disgusting parts of the animal and ate the rest yourself, so soldiers would likely have gotten at least some meat, especially beef, that way. One of the stories about Prometheus even credits him with tricking Zeus into demanding meatless, inedible bones, covered in fat so that it looked appetizing, as the Olympian's portion and agreeing to let the mortals eat the actually good parts of the animal.

I'm just guessing here but, could it be that onions is an easy to grow vegetable that takes a lot of time before going bad? something like 1 or 2 months in the heat, a lot more if kept in the cold?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just being in Rome is an experience for an American. It’s a different way of life.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

euphronius posted:

Just being in Rome is an experience for an American. It’s a different way of life.

Why Americans in particular?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grape posted:

Why Americans in particular?

If I had to hazard a guess, it's the sense of age, of people having always been there for millennia. Nothing in the United States dates back to before the 1600s, and even if you are generous and by America you mean North and South America, then the oldest continuously occupied city is Mexico City and people have only been living there since the 1200s. Part of this is because all the natives were killed/died of disease but still

Meanwhile at that point, Rome was getting close to 2000 years old

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also the outdoor* living and visible, breathable, tangible community of even a block or a square (piazza)

And the scooters.

* as in people aren’t on their homes when they are living

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Don Gato posted:

If I had to hazard a guess, it's the sense of age, of people having always been there for millennia. Nothing in the United States dates back to before the 1600s, and even if you are generous and by America you mean North and South America, then the oldest continuously occupied city is Mexico City and people have only been living there since the 1200s. Part of this is because all the natives were killed/died of disease but still

Meanwhile at that point, Rome was getting close to 2000 years old

There are structures in the US dating back to long before the 1600s (though not continuously occupied, and still a lot younger than Rome): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestral_Puebloan_dwellings

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Nothing in the United States dates back to before the 1600s
i grew up in what used to be the northern fringe of New Spain. My hometown was founded in 1607 on top of a Tewa city that had been there since the Middle Ages. The next town north of us was founded in 1598

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Silver2195 posted:

There are structures in the US dating back to long before the 1600s (though not continuously occupied, and still a lot younger than Rome): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestral_Puebloan_dwellings

Thats very very different to what he was talking about. There probably isn't a place on Earth where you can't go and find some sort of evidence of humans thousands (or atleast hundreds) of years old. That's incredibly different to a major city that has been a major city for thousands of years and has real, visible evidence of it's history. It's not like you can stand in New York and see any evidence of who stood there 2000 years before you, in Rome (and quite a lot of European cities) the evidence is huge and inescapable.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 31, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Don Gato posted:

Nothing in the United States dates back to before the 1600s, and even if you are generous

Dibs on not having to tell the Kumeyaay this.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

underage at the vape shop posted:

Thats very very different to what he was talking about. There probably isn't a place on Earth where you can't go and find some sort of evidence of humans thousands (or atleast hundreds) of years old. That's incredibly different to a major city that has been a major city for thousands of years and has real, visible evidence of it's history. It's not like you can stand in New York and see any evidence of who stood there 2000 years before you, in Rome (and quite a lot of European cities) the evidence is huge and inescapable.

This guy gets what I mean. I don't mean to denigrate the natives that were here but in most of North America outside of Mexico, there isn't as much evidence of people living in large metropolitan areas. I realize now that I sounded more euro-centric than I meant to.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

This guy gets what I mean. I don't mean to denigrate the natives that were here but in most of North America outside of Mexico, there isn't as much evidence of people living in large metropolitan areas. I realize now that I sounded more euro-centric than I meant to.
in new mexico there are metropolitan areas, they're just small and mostly sand

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
E: I hosed up quote isnt edit

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 31, 2019

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Don Gato posted:

I made an edit to my post but I'll just make a new one:

This is from an article linked to in Silver's article:

It's a thousand years old and in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico:

Compare that to any number of European cities, but especially cities like Rome or Athens where the center of the capital city of a modern country was also the center of a massive civilisation thousands of years ago, with mostly intact evidence of that ancient power still standing (and in some cases, still in use).

It's a really cool feeling being in a place like that if you live in a country that doesn't have it. I'm not American, I'm Australian, but it's a similar situation with all the numbers exagerated. Yeah the aboriginals were here 80 000+ years before us, but the Brits destroyed all of that and the civilisation that is here now was only federated in 1901. Just standing in a city with history is a huge experience.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

in new mexico there are metropolitan areas, they're just small and mostly sand

Huh, learn something new everyday. I've only been to the ones in Yucatan and Teotihuacán near Mexico City and just assumed those kinds of things only existed in Mesoamérica

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Huh, learn something new everyday. I've only been to the ones in Yucatan and Teotihuacán near Mexico City and just assumed those kinds of things only existed in Mesoamérica
there's just not a lot of water up there, not many people. check out Acoma though. the best-situated walled city i've ever seen

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best‐situated walled city I’ve ever seen is Constantinople.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

there's just not a lot of water up there, not many people. check out Acoma though. the best-situated walled city i've ever seen

Does it even need walls?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I made an edit to my post but I'll just make a new one:

This is from an article linked to in Silver's article:

It's a thousand years old and in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico:

Compare that to any number of European cities, but especially cities like Rome or Athens where the center of the capital city of a modern country was also the center of a massive civilisation thousands of years ago, with mostly intact evidence of that ancient power still standing (and in some cases, still in use).

It's a really cool feeling being in a place like that if you live in a country that doesn't have it. I'm not American, I'm Australian, but it's a similar situation with all the numbers exagerated. Yeah the aboriginals were here 80 000+ years before us, but the Brits destroyed all of that and the civilisation that is here now was only federated in 1901. Just standing in a city with history is a huge experience.

We all willingly came to the ancient history thread, we get that it's ancient bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lol I think this explains my confusion. See I've been to Greece, Turkey and Cyprus. Places with just as old if not older history than Rome... but rarely was I smacked over the head with history like that in the same way. Because really most of their cities are like 90% 20th century structures (ugly ones too!). Istanbul obviously had some older clout though.

Except that one electronics store in a Thessaloniki mall that had a glass floor in one part with uncovered ancient ruins under it.

My Athens experience was also not tourism, but getting on the wrong airport bus during a layover and being carted around through the shittiest parts of the city around midnight with a driver who knew no English. :newlol: