Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Harlock posted:

Personally I'd be happy if the Daleks and Cybermen go away for a while. Unless there's a truly great story, I feel like we have been circling the drain lately of the same motifs and themes.

Sooner or later some daring writer will do "Redemption of the Daleks" and it will lead into the "Rebellion of the Daleks" and they'll be semiretired until some jerk writes "Recidivism of the Daleks."

The Cybermen suffer from the twin problems of being built upon both Cold War anxiety and concern about artificial limb replacements. Given how the pseudo-Amazon story went, it might not be desirable for us to get a proto-Google or proto-Facebook story reconstructing the dangers of the Cybermen as a purely software/connectivity/data problem. We need a new method of prolonging life or "survival" that involves giving up one's humanity for the show to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Narsham posted:

Sooner or later some daring writer will do "Redemption of the Daleks" and it will lead into the "Rebellion of the Daleks" and they'll be semiretired until some jerk writes "Recidivism of the Daleks."

The Cybermen suffer from the twin problems of being built upon both Cold War anxiety and concern about artificial limb replacements. Given how the pseudo-Amazon story went, it might not be desirable for us to get a proto-Google or proto-Facebook story reconstructing the dangers of the Cybermen as a purely software/connectivity/data problem. We need a new method of prolonging life or "survival" that involves giving up one's humanity for the show to explore.

We already had the Toclafane, and that episode was....not so good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That three parter is extremely Davies era. It's a complete and utter goddamn mess, but portions of it are so enjoyable. Like, Martha revealing that the gun with four parts was a ruse the whole time gets you excited, and then the actual solution is the Dobby-Doctor magically transforming, being wreathed in light, and floating toward the Master with a sad Jesus look on his face and it goes from "goofy soap opera" to "you're back in high school watching a play your friend wrote and you're trying so hard not to laugh at his earnest efforts."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched I AM THE MASTER and that is still so loving good. That specific scene, from the watch to the end, is probably the best thing from the RTD era, and they set it up so well throughout the season.

There aren't really any moves the writers could pull like that at this point, are there?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CommonShore posted:

There aren't really any moves the writers could pull like that at this point, are there?

To be fair, the "Well I couldn't very well keep calling myself Master now, could I? :smug:" and,"I'm very concerned about my future.... hello Missy :smug:" reveals were very well done even if they're essentially repeats of the fobwatch scene.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CommonShore posted:

I just rewatched I AM THE MASTER and that is still so loving good. That specific scene, from the watch to the end, is probably the best thing from the RTD era, and they set it up so well throughout the season.

Nothing nearly as big, but that's because the Master is really the only notable member of the Doctor's rouges gallery that can be pulled off like that. The only other times a twist like that happened since then was the Name/Day/Time of the Doctor trilogy and when Missy turned out to be the Master. Plus, if the last series is anything to go on, Chibnall isn't going for any :tviv: moments.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

That scene is so incredibly fun to watch, every time, but at the very end of it, I always feel a little let down by how quickly the regeneration happens, because watching Derek Jacobi switch from distracted professor to DEVOURING THE SCENERY is amazing, and I wish they'd let him do it for like one more episode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, the "Well I couldn't very well keep calling myself Master now, could I? :smug:" and,"I'm very concerned about my future.... hello Missy :smug:" reveals were very well done even if they're essentially repeats of the fobwatch scene.

The last move like that I can think of would be the reveal of Gallifrey in Hell Bent

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like how he opens the watch and wastes exactly zero seconds before starting to commit evil deeds. It's just ... like clockwork! :haw:

If Chibnal wanted to hit a :tviv: moment, the return of Captain Jack might be a good target, especially if they can keep it unspoiled - like the gang on the TARDIS is investigating a concrete column and one of them realizes that there's something biological buried inside of it so they split it open and ... !

I guess Captain Jack doesn't really fit into the new show's dynamic though, does it. The "Grandad" scene in the forest I think best encapsulates what we've had of Chibnall so far, and an immortal oversexed swashbuckling adventurer doesn't really integrate into that so well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I like how he opens the watch and wastes exactly zero seconds before starting to commit evil deeds. It's just ... like clockwork! :haw:

This corny joke made me laugh considerably more than it should have, good show.

CommonShore posted:

If Chibnal wanted to hit a :tviv: moment, the return of Captain Jack might be a good target, especially if they can keep it unspoiled - like the gang on the TARDIS is investigating a concrete column and one of them realizes that there's something biological buried inside of it so they split it open and ... !

I guess Captain Jack doesn't really fit into the new show's dynamic though, does it. The "Grandad" scene in the forest I think best encapsulates what we've had of Chibnall so far, and an immortal oversexed swashbuckling adventurer doesn't really integrate into that so well.

I think the Chibnall way of handling this would be for Captain Jack to immediately do his "Check for sexual interest" thing, team TARDIS to not get it at all, and Jack to cheerfully transition to friend mode. He also loved talking about gadgets, touring the Universe, and saving people. I'd love for Barrowman to get one last TV go at the role while he can still pull it off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

That and Human Nature/Family of Blood both do a really good job of selling the horror of this very real, living, breathing, thinking, loving person just instantly ceasing to exist the moment the fobwatch is opened, but there body and voice and face are all still there with a completely different person occupying it. The Master's cruel dismissal of "Utopia! :rolleyes:" says it all really, but I'm also incredibly fond of:

Doctor: Please come with me.
Joan: I can't.
Doctor: Why not?
Joan: John Smith is dead, and you look like him.
Doctor: But he's here, inside, if you look in my eyes.
Joan: Answer me this. Just one question, that's all. If the Doctor had never visited us, if he'd never chosen this place on a whim, would anybody here have died?
Doctor: ...
Joan: You can go.

God it was good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Question for people who keep up with the Arrowverse: did Dinah Lance ever encounter Rip Hunter?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Edward Mass posted:

Question for people who keep up with the Arrowverse: did Dinah Lance ever encounter Rip Hunter?

nope

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
MISSED OPPORTUNITY, CW.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CommonShore posted:

Dark Water gets really close to this just by front-loading the episode with so much stuff that even the Doctor is like, "I'm missing something." Then the doors with the Cyberman eye-drops shut. It works on two levels, too: people who don't know anything go "wait, the loving CYBERMEN are in this, too?" and people who have been spoiled go, "poo poo, I forgot the CYBERMEN are in this, too!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

That three parter is extremely Davies era. It's a complete and utter goddamn mess, but portions of it are so enjoyable. Like, Martha revealing that the gun with four parts was a ruse the whole time gets you excited, and then the actual solution is the Dobby-Doctor magically transforming, being wreathed in light, and floating toward the Master with a sad Jesus look on his face and it goes from "goofy soap opera" to "you're back in high school watching a play your friend wrote and you're trying so hard not to laugh at his earnest efforts."

I just realized the fourth season of Arrow had essentially this ending, only somehow both less dumb and less entertaining.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Behold, last season in one picture!
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1090569832414789632

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want to be in whatever weather they're in.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Its future Antarctica.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RadioTimes/status/1090595078639403008

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It still saddens me that we never got to see an RTD story under Moffat as a showrunner, I think it would have been fascinating.

On the other hand, there is that brilliant story about RTD writing the 11th Doctor in Sarah Jane Adventures and not telling Moffat any of the details, and Moffat's :aaa: reaction when he found out the episode was called,"The Death of the Doctor" :lol:

loving perfect, ahaha.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

NOT PICTURED: Bradley Walsh, at the craft services table

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

NOT PICTURED: Bradley Walsh, at the craft services table

They sent him for an emergency peanut butter run.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

what the gently caress is that moustache, is Moffat trying to get people to call him doctor who's Hitler

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I often forget how big Really Tall Davies is.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dabir posted:

what the gently caress is that moustache, is Moffat trying to get people to call him doctor who's Hitler

He looks like Blackadder II (had he not been stabbed).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Rani from the Sarah Jane adventures puts in an appearance... and finds a pocketwatch.

Honestly, they are overdue to bring Omega back and he'd be a really interesting figure to bounce off of Thirteen. The only other shock reveal I could imagine working would be to recast the Black Guardian.

Far better to bring back a past companion. Leela or Ace or Romana seem like the obvious choices. Or a surprise multidoctor episode. The show has yet to dare casting the next Doctor secretly and having her meet the current one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dabir posted:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Narsham posted:

The show has yet to dare casting the next Doctor secretly and having her meet the current one.

I think that'd ultimately be a bad idea. If they don't put on a good performance (which could be hard since it'd be their first performance as the Doctor) then it causes consternation going forward, but if they knock it out of the park then it casts a shadow on the rest of the 'current' Doctor's run.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You could just do it in the regeneration episode, having them act as their own Watcher-type figure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I often forget how big Really Tall Davies is.

He is Incredibly Tall. I am Very Tall, and when I met him once he was still taller than me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Narsham posted:

The show has yet to dare casting the next Doctor secretly and having her meet the current one.

The only way I could even think of them getting away with it is casting the next Doctor, and secretly filming a short scene on a closed set like, the next day or something. But the writing would have to convey that this isn’t necessarily the Doctor, just... someone mysterious.

The closest we’ve got is the eyebrows cameo in Day of the Doctor, but sadly we knew he’d already been cast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RTD once went and had a meal at the Queen's. Roald Dahl wrote a book about it :)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'd love a two parter that somehow incorporates the 8th Doctor with either the 13th or whoever comes next. Let him get a proper full episode, not just the minisode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ha, I knew just from the gif that Davies had just realised Moffat was behind him and immediately said something to wind him up

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-01-31/doctor-who-russell-t-davies-steven-moffat-interview/

Just a bit of fluff, but it's nice to see them palling around

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Spent the week catching up to Big Finish:

The Hunting Ground was honestly kinda dull - an alien is using a section of Iceland as a game reserve to hunt humans - just couldn't get in to it.

I really enjoyed this one, the story, setting and one-off companion were pretty great. Some DI Menzies similarities, but that's never a bad thing.

Based on recent conversation, if you guys haven't heard "The Sky Man" from the War Master series, you should probably get on that. It's one of the best things Big Finish has done recently.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF posted the new issue of Vortex, and in the letters page, Briggs says they're working on DALEK EMPIRE: THE TIME WAR series.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BF also just sent out an email advertising an audio with a cover showing 12 on it and I lost my poo poo thinking that they had finally gotten Peter Capaldi to reprise his role and do an adventure but sadly it's just a short-trip. I'm sure it's still cool though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s a start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I think my highlight of series 11 was how the pregnant bloke on the medical ship looked like Mark Gattis from the Maxie Power sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L8-E636i5c