Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Northern Irish protestors: "No border! No checkpoints!"
Protestor 1: "I can't visit my ailing mother!"
Protestor 2: "I can't get to my job!"
Protestor 3: "I can't sell produce from my farm now!"
Protestor 4: "My children are on the other side!"

*Arlene Foster kramers in*
"Quiet, the lot of you! You know there's nothing in the Good Friday Agreement about borders!"

Protestors: "...oh. Right then."

I didn't say that because a hard border doesn't violate the good friday agreement there are no negative implications for people living and working in Northern Ireland, you dope

(Also if you ever meet the people most opposed to a border, I would advise against calling them "Northern Irish")

Bryter has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

When I get high I get high on Leave,
Type 2 diabetes and no insulin for me
My heart, My heart
Backstop my heart.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Brexit is also the far right's wet dream: a highly visible success of divisive propaganda over sense become legislative reality through nominally democratic means (a victory and statement of power to swell their ranks), and a recipe for the economic disfunction that so often draws people towards facism

England won't be missed, shame about Scotland and Wales (who loving hilariously voted leave).

Populism bad who knew. Appealing to the ideas and desires of the common man, when the common man is a complete and utter loving retard who devours 5 course meals of propaganda and disinformation online and elsewhere daily.

Mackers has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Jan 30, 2019

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Mackers posted:

England won't be missed, shame about Scotland and Wales (who loving hilariously voted leave).

Scotland voted 62% remain.

e: sorry, you're obvs only referring to Wales

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Scotland should break off imo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Scotland should take over. They seem like reasonable peeps.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/samirashackle/status/1089797821459587072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

sure this is heinous, absurd, cruel, etc.

but

do they really need to worry about paperwork when society will have collapsed into a hellscape of feuding warlords?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Honj Steak posted:

Scotland voted 62% remain.

e: sorry, you're obvs only referring to Wales

Wales by necessity has to stay with England, fully 67% of its economy stems from being used as a filming location for Doctor Who. The rubber alien suit and styrofoam boulder industries would get absolutely destroyed by tariffs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Wales by necessity has to stay with England, fully 67% of its economy stems from being used as a filming location for Doctor Who. The rubber alien suit and styrofoam boulder industries would get absolutely destroyed by tariffs.

I like how the longest Welsh town name was created just for tourism.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
spoke to an analyst who said some things about the brexit situation I thought sounded insane but who am I to say

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/GermanyDiplo/status/1090618711134883841

:same:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pick posted:

spoke to an analyst who said some things about the brexit situation I thought sounded insane but who am I to say

same but it was a shirtless bloke in a pub don't worry guys he was very reassuring

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mackers posted:

Populism bad who knew. Appealing to the ideas and desires of the common man, when the common man is a complete and utter loving retard who devours 5 course meals of propaganda and disinformation online and elsewhere daily.

If you don't know why people voted leave then you might just be the worst kind of fair weather leftist.

That's not to say it was a good idea. Just that you understand the causes beyond "lmao the english are mean! Perfidious albion!!!!!!!!!!"

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Pick posted:

Do tell

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
They voted leave because they are pants-shittingly terrified of foreigners.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LGD posted:

sure this is heinous, absurd, cruel, etc.

but

do they really need to worry about paperwork when society will have collapsed into a hellscape of feuding warlords?

Mercia vs. Northumbria in a war over a few hides of sheep paddock will be high entertainment in 2024.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Mackers posted:

They voted leave because they are pants-shittingly terrified of foreigners.

Look, you have to understand that Britain is an island, cut off from the rest of the world; they are a distinct and unique people and this kind of influx of foreigners and foreign customs which has come about as a result of wicked policies foisted upon the UK by the EU has no historical precede-

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you don't know why people voted leave then you might just be the worst kind of fair weather leftist.

That's not to say it was a good idea. Just that you understand the causes beyond "lmao the english are mean! Perfidious albion!!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah there was the Kenyan dude who voted Leave explicitly in the hopes that it would hurt as many British people as possible, that guy owned

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Skellybones posted:

Yeah there was the Kenyan dude who voted Leave explicitly in the hopes that it would hurt as many British people as possible, that guy owned

There a Puerto Rican trump supporter who thought exactly that

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Regarde Aduck posted:

The English leave voters are racist, and/or weird isolationist nationalists, also plain stupid sometimes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If you work for a UK based company overseas, what impact is brexit likely to have?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

brugroffil posted:

If you work for a UK based company overseas, what impact is brexit likely to have?

kinda depends what the company does, how big they are, and what your role is.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

probably not much since there won't be any UK based companies, just belgian based ones

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tbf saving people from apple is good

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

So when is Theresa May going to annex Ireland to make the whole backstop issue moot?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is this really happening in less than 2 months?

e: it is. You guys are hosed my condolences

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
There will be adequate food. Just not like, broccoli

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ScrubLeague posted:

There will be adequate food. Just not like, broccoli

No one likes broccoli so good

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Remember how everyone absolutely lost their poo poo when the UK ran out of KFC chicken for like 4 days in March last year? Turns out that was just a preparedness exercise for wrecksit.

2018 was a big year so I totally understand if you forgot.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/20/kfc-chicken-shortage-causes-chaos-police-tell-customers-stop/

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
yowzers

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/30/it-is-terrible-but-i-still-want-it-crewe-voters-size-up-no-deal-brexit

quote:

Geoffrey Chesters was supposed to be helping at his daughter’s shop in Crewe on Wednesday, but he was engrossed in a book about money-making schemes, bought for £1 at Nantwich market. He’d reached a chapter entitled “How to become even richer when everyone else goes to the wall”, and was learning how to survive financial apocalypse.

“Look at this,” he said, pointing to a paragraph about negotiating a banking collapse. “This is what’s coming.” He’d been stockpiling tins for months. A no-deal Brexit was going to make everyone poorer, he said. But it was worth it, if it meant the UK got control over immigration. That’s why he voted to leave the European Union: “We’ve got too many of them coming over here and I want it to stop.”

The 73-year-old former builder and engineer said he had been lied to by the leave campaign. “They didn’t tell us the true facts. They kept us in the dark like mushrooms and fed us bullshit,” he said. “We voted because of immigration and we didn’t realise how poor we would be. It will be terrible but I still want it, because of immigration.”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Are you allowed to raise chickens in your yard in Britain?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the goose stopped producing the golden eggs for the angry yokels so the angry yokels moved to strangle the goose

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
but in that process the angry yokel will... turn into a farm animal or something i dunno where i'm going with this animal farm analogy exactly

but the goose is getting strangled dead

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There will be adequate KFC

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL that anecdote actually starts with him blowing off helping his children because he's too engrossed in learning how to scam his way into great wealth once everything collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

Remember how everyone absolutely lost their poo poo when the UK ran out of KFC chicken for like 4 days in March last year? Turns out that was just a preparedness exercise for wrecksit.

2018 was a big year so I totally understand if you forgot.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/20/kfc-chicken-shortage-causes-chaos-police-tell-customers-stop/
I want to read an interview or something with someone who called the police. What kind of person are they?