Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Boys are boring

Ban all boy characters from anime tbh

Waiter? I asked for a cold take...but this one is spicy hot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Beasteh posted:

Yeah the OP alone got me to start watching

e: then literally the world's trashiest melodrama happened and ah ha ha haaaaaaa

I did warn you that it would be a telenova-style melodrama, haha. It's really not for me, but I can see why people would be into that sort of drama I guess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Boys are boring

In world, where men grow into full adulthood immediately following infancy,

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Boys are boring

What compels people to post like this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They have cooties.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe boys and girls can exist in one space and the problem is societal heteronormativity

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

maybe boys and girls can exist in one space and the problem is societal heteronormativity

This is what I was getting at, but also, unfortunately, Tatsuki.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also like

I thought it was obvious that I wasn't being serious.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kemurikusa would be better if the awkward romance thing wasn't with a boy who spent 90% of the time looking at things and saying "sugoi~"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Also like

There have been folks that expressed such things seriously and in the exact same tone.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Its ghoulish.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

waffleman wouldn't do such things

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that was a non ironic post

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

Kemurikusa would be better if the awkward romance thing wasn't with a boy who spent 90% of the time looking at things and saying "sugoi~"

Thats me experiencing all the wonders of creation and my love of mankind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the issue with kemuri isnt that there's a ~boy~ its that the angle is kind of boring and it feels like people on both sides are kind of conflating one with the other, which is kind of weird.

the angle is mostly just 'kyaa... what is this new feeling ive never seen before...?' whenever the guy says 'sugoi!' i like plenty of boy/girl love stories but not ones that feel like they exist primarily just because the story has a male and female lead and they need something for their interactions to be about. like simon and nia in gurren lagann is a very by the numbers thing but they have actual interactions and ways in which their personality click together, i buy into that even if you could also accuse it of being a very plain jane boy-meets-girl thing. he literally finds her in a box and she exists in the narrative to make him happy after he's sad and give him something new to fight for. that's all very bog-standard and even a little grody when you break it down. but they actually write nia with a personality outside of him and give her moments to shine and relationships outside of him, and when they do interact you can actually see some give and take, so it works.

its early days for kemuri but i don't really get a sense of, uh, any of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Also like

posting fetishistic and sexist garbage that does nothing but degrade not only this conversation but future conversations on similar subjects does not become wacky if you append 'lol' to it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

What compels people to post like this

The thirst

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah the issue with kemuri isnt that there's a ~boy~ its that the angle is kind of boring and it feels like people on both sides are kind of conflating one with the other, which is kind of weird.

the angle is mostly just 'kyaa... what is this new feeling ive never seen before...?' whenever the guy says 'sugoi!' i like plenty of boy/girl love stories but not ones that feel like they exist primarily just because the story has a male and female lead and they need something for their interactions to be about. like simon and nia in gurren lagann is a very by the numbers thing but they have actual interactions and ways in which their personality click together, i buy into that even if you could also accuse it of being a very plain jane boy-meets-girl thing. he literally finds her in a box and she exists in the narrative to make him happy after he's sad and give him something new to fight for. that's all very bog-standard and even a little grody when you break it down. but they actually write nia with a personality outside of him and give her moments to shine and relationships outside of him, and when they do interact you can actually see some give and take, so it works.

its early days for kemuri but i don't really get a sense of, uh, any of that.

I dropped off Kemuri after the first episode because I was mostly watching it because a lot of my friends fuckin' ADORED Kemono Friends where I just kinda liked it, and my friends didn't stick around for Kemuri, but I'll also add that, for as much as I've heard Wakaba described as a replacement Kaban, Kaban and Serval didn't have the sort of relationship I've heard people describe Wakaba and what's-her-name do. They had some chemistry and banter and push and pull and all that, whereas what from what I saw in episode 1 and people talking about the later eps, Wakaba and friend just kind of keep going over the same "I'm cute and kinda clueless", "I don't trust you but what is this strange Doki Doki feeling I get around you" dynamic repeatedly.

tl;dr: It's not just that they made Kemono Friends But With A Boy, it's more that they made Kemono Friends But With More Boring Leads.

So far, anyway, only 3 eps. :shrug:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

i yearn for tanoshi

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If only there was a way to combine the writing and direction of Kemuri with the setting and characters of Kemono Friends 2....

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Colonel posted:

maybe boys and girls can exist in one space

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just watched the Domestic Kanojo OP full version and that seems nothing like I'd imagine the show was from the premise, and judging by some comments here the premise is pretty much that premise. It's an incredible OP though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Just watched the Domestic Kanojo OP full version and that seems nothing like I'd imagine the show was from the premise, and judging by some comments here the premise is pretty much that premise. It's an incredible OP though.

I'm pretty sure the MV for the full OP has nothing to do with the actual anime. It's more referencing the singer's other MVs (check out her other songs, she's really good).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ah, that explains things.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Motto posted:

In world, where men grow into full adulthood immediately following infancy,

The world of Sakigake!! Otokojuku.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm pretty sure the MV for the full OP has nothing to do with the actual anime. It's more referencing the singer's other MVs (check out her other songs, she's really good).

Google being Google, I ended up with a lot of recommendations like Minami pretty much the second I got back from Japan last year but drat was that a good YT rec. I'm going to second checking out her other songs. Her channel's great.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im not sure why exactly, but i really like Boogiepop so far

i can't really argue with any of the criticism i saw, but i guess there's just something about it that makes it good for me

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like it's getting better as it goes? Like it's making it clearer who people are/what they want/why they want it, makes it easier for me to invest.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

losing (thirty minutes of) my life in the KEMURIKUSA

This episode has less Wakaba which was good but it is still Exposition Bus The Animated Series which is not super compelling given the amount of telling not showing going on here. I like uh whatever main girl is named (Rin?) because it's cool when she beats up the baddies but her crush is dumb. I wish I was capable of dropping shows but alas I've already commited to seeing this through.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you don't like it don't watch it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I wish I was capable of dropping shows but alas I've already commited to seeing this through.
[slowly smothering you with a pillow]

you dont have to live like this

it's dumb

you are doing this to yourself

have some self respect

have any dignity

do you understand me

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Just wait for the season to be over and then watch the three best episodes of every series.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I get it. I'm giving Tatsuki a long leash too. But it's kind of at the bottom of my seasonal queue...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

if you don't like it don't post about watching it

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

[slowly smothering you with a pillow]

you dont have to live like this

Everything Burrito posted:

if you don't like it don't watch it
Sorry, that bit about dropping shows was meant as a joke of sorts but it comes off as extremely negative. I'm not hatewatching it or anything, I think that's stupid too. There's enough shadows of plot threads in there to keep me interested. I like superpowers and Wakaba's doing some neat stuff at the end of the most recent episode. So the question of what the Kemurikusa is, how it can be used, and what's waiting on the other islands is interesting enough. And I like when the clones eat scrap metal. That's funny. I'm just negative on it because I want it to be better than it is.

Agronox posted:

I get it. I'm giving Tatsuki a long leash too. But it's kind of at the bottom of my seasonal queue...
Oh absolutely. If I somehow fell behind on shows and had to play catch-up it's the kind of show that may fall off my queue without noticing. But so far I've kept up with it and there's just enough in each ep to make the next one worth checking out. I just wish there was more of it versus "characters talk in the bus" or "the audience hears the characters talk in the bus while watching the bus pull itself slowly towards the next plot event."

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 31, 2019

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Shows I'm watching and enjoying:

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru: Really good, and keeps getting better now that Kakeru's arc is pretty much done. Really looking forward to the finale.
Mob Psycho 100 S2: It's more Mob, which is great. So far the season has felt more like a couple of fun one-offs than the start of a new story though.
Endro: A drat delight. The humor and characters are all very familiar, but so far every episode has had at least a couple of laugh-out-loud jokes.
Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai: Feels kind of rushed and disjointed, and the characters feel underdeveloped, but at least the dogfights are cool.
Ueno-san wa Bukiyou: Extremely dumb, but it mostly works. Probably would've dropped this if it had been a full length show though.
Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Really strong adaptation, and let me just repeat: Holy poo poo, that ED in episode 3.
Yakusoku no Neverland: Good first episode, bit too boring and exposition-heavy since then. We'll see.

Shows I've tried and dropped:

5-Toubun no Hanayome: Looked like the most generic harem romcom comedy ever. Not terrible, but did nothing to grab me either.
Boogiepop wa Warawanai: The first arc sucked, and I'm not ready to believe the people claiming that it got better.
Dororo: Dropped it after the extremely clumsy storytelling in the second episode. Also the kid is insufferable.
Kemurikusa: Tell me if and when this becomes interesting and/or Wataba dies.
Manaria Friends: Eh.

Any non-sequel shows I should give a try?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The cat one

Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

:yeah:

My Roomate is a Cat is the name if you're searching on crunchy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've seen the same sentiment wrt to Mob in other places, so I'll just say for anyone else, Mob started it's first multi episode arc and is really kicking into gear, but also all the eps leading up to it have been planting the seeds for the problems and questions Mob is and will face. So watch Mob plz!

also this part wasn't billed as a new story in the manga, it was just, more of the manga. two year breaks just suck

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Araki posted:

Dororo: Dropped it after the extremely clumsy storytelling in the second episode. Also the kid is insufferable.

You, a fool: The new Dororo is bad because it's title character is insufferable.

Me, a radiant god-like genius: The new Dororo is bad because it's title character isn't insufferable enough