Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html

Article starts with mentioning iPhones but towards the middle blames slow production of the Trash Can on inability to source SCREWS.

Absolutely fascinating article. Some parts of it make it sound like the 2013 Mac Pro never received a major update because of where it was is assembled.

e: Mac Pro, not iMac Pro

eames fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Hot on the heels of Flexgate.. It's SCREWGATE

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html

Article starts with mentioning iPhones but towards the middle blames slow production of the Trash Can on inability to source SCREWS.

Yep, this is where we are, doesn't really bode well for the new Mac Pro though, if it's going to be made here.

the article itself says that the screws are illustrative of the larger point that it's way harder to produce consumer electronics in the US because the capacity simply isn't there. it's a confluence of factors

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The solution is to standardize on screws and stop using idiots for engineers. The idea that America can't make screws is loving stupid.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Guess the new not-Trash Pro won't be made in the US, huh.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The screws are a single illustrative example of why manufacturing is lost in America you dense idiots

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

So Apple decided to manufacture something in America but didn't examine the implicit assumption that they could source any random bespoke part they need within like 8 hours and this is written as a failure of America and not a failure of Apple

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

america is great and u can find anything here! streets here are paved with screws!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

screw you, apple! :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple built the Lisa here and it was a piece of poo poo. Death to America.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Steve Jobs was American and he was a piece of poo poo. Death to America.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

Steve Jobs was American and he was a piece of poo poo. Death to America.

I heard he "He chewed out a poor Whole Foods employee for no apparent reason"

Might as well be hitler.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

I heard he "He chewed out a poor Whole Foods employee for no apparent reason"

Might as well be hitler.

I was thinking more along the lines of

quote:

An excerpt in the New York Times reveals Ms Brennan-Jobs witnessed her father moaning as he embraced his second wife, pulling her in to a kiss, "moving his hand closer to her breasts," and up her thigh.

In that moment, as Ms Brennan-Jobs went to leave the room, her father urged her to "stay here". According to the excerpt, Mr Jobs allegedly said, "We're having a family moment. It's important that you try to be part of this family."

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Linguica posted:

So Apple decided to manufacture something in America but didn't examine the implicit assumption that they could source any random bespoke part they need within like 8 hours and this is written as a failure of America and not a failure of Apple

This to me seems like an interesting parallel to companies being unwilling to train their employees to do new jobs, then claiming that they have to look abroad for labor because there's just no one locally with the skills (who is willing to work for the pittance being offered to them).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

Trust me, I hate Jobs. He was an ultimate piece of poo poo. Know why macs have to be thin and as few buttons as possible? Jobs OCD problems. Thanks, now the whole industry and an entire generation of idiots has the same type of OCD.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Weedle posted:

!what. the, gently caress?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

redeyes posted:

The solution is to standardize on screws and stop using idiots for engineers. The idea that America can't make screws is loving stupid.

Lol.

Manufacturing in general is dead in America.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
After a few years being Macbook only, i'm finding that i'm missing having a desktop for some light web development work.

Would I be crazy to buy a 2012 Mac Mini and upgrade to an SSD and 16gb of ram? I think that would come in well below the 2018 Mini or iMac, while still being serviceable for the kinds of workloads i'd be doing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

No, but you'd be best served if you can find a decently priced quad core MM2012.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

frogbs posted:

After a few years being Macbook only, i'm finding that i'm missing having a desktop for some light web development work.

Would I be crazy to buy a 2012 Mac Mini and upgrade to an SSD and 16gb of ram? I think that would come in well below the 2018 Mini or iMac, while still being serviceable for the kinds of workloads i'd be doing.

Depends on what kind of display you want to run. The quad core i7 will still be okay for a lot of stuff, but the HD 4000 iGPU will show it's age in some cases. I believe its max resolution @ 60 hz is 2560x1600, so that means no 4k displays, 1440p ultrawides (3440 x 1440) or anything higher.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Odds of 2012’s getting dropped at release of the next OS?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

When they drop OS support for these older models, are there still security patches on the older OS for some period of time? Obviously everyone's use case is different but I'm realizing that most new MacOS features in the last 5 years I don't really care about and could live without, but I need security updates of course.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

When they drop OS support for these older models, are there still security patches on the older OS for some period of time? Obviously everyone's use case is different but I'm realizing that most new MacOS features in the last 5 years I don't really care about and could live without, but I need security updates of course.

Yes, every version of macOS for the past few years has been supported with security updates for three years after its release. So, for example, if 10.15 drops support for your model, Mojave will be patched until August or September 2021.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Weedle posted:

Yes, every version of macOS for the past few years has been supported with security updates for three years after its release. So, for example, if 10.15 drops support for your model, Mojave will be patched until August or September 2021.

Seems reasonable enough, hopefully Apple will have their poo poo together by the time Late 2013 rMBPs are defunct then I can make a hard decision about no-magsafe, sad-keyboard, no SD card laptops :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

The only reasons you might NEED the latest OS is if you want some new feature that might only work with new poo poo like a watch or you do iOS development :shrug:

Plus you are fine with a couple years old OS as long as you can get a current browser etc. it’s not like you will get hacked in three seconds if you go online with a computer running 10.8 or something

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

eames posted:

The newest 2018 MBA still has the same problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDsqWkUvXQ&t=234s

Why is he always yelling?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most Youtube viewers are impressionable kids and it's the only way to get them to like, comment, and subscribe.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I hate “45 year old trucker hat and hoodie guy”

How the duck does he have 12m subs

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

The only reasons you might NEED the latest OS is if you want some new feature that might only work with new poo poo like a watch or you do iOS development :shrug:

Plus you are fine with a couple years old OS as long as you can get a current browser etc. it’s not like you will get hacked in three seconds if you go online with a computer running 10.8 or something

That's pretty dangerous thinking, because components displaying images or video could be vulnerable to attacks. Using an OS that's out of support is a bad idea, better off switching to Windows or Linux.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I get you tubers are kind of dumb but how the hell is the keyboard still having issues on the 4th Gen?

Goddamn.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I was watching one of Louis Rossmann’s repair videos and he essentially said he had hates the newest versions of MacBooks because “too many iPhone designers were involved”. He kinda has a point - instead of designing them to be repaired more cheaply or efficiently, they were designed to be as thin as possible. Now repairing a keyboard or display cable will cost you $300+ because you can’t just swap out the actual part.

I have to imagine Apple has taken a look at how much it costs them to repair these keyboards for free and they’ll eventually make some design changes whenever a full refresh finally occurs. Hell, it’s almost in my best interest to make sure my display cable and keyboard are swapped out before my AppleCare expires so I know they don’t die on me as soon as my warranty is up.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lambert posted:

That's pretty dangerous thinking, because components displaying images or video could be vulnerable to attacks. Using an OS that's out of support is a bad idea, better off switching to Windows or Linux.

There are also patches made by DOSDude1 that allow Mojave to be installed on pretty much every older Mac someone could reasonably still be using these days (unless you've got an iMac with AMD graphics). I haven't noticed a significant difference in speed on my early 08 iMac from when it was running El Capitan--and according to other peoples experience if I were to drop in an SSD and use APFS it would actually be faster than it ever was on El Capitan. I'm seriously considering it, though with my luck I would probably break something.

Here's a link to his page explaining the patcher and its compatibility.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

As someone who’s buying a used MacBook Pro 2015 in the next few months, what are the chances it gets at least next years OS update?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Gay Retard posted:

I was watching one of Louis Rossmann’s repair videos and he essentially said he had hates the newest versions of MacBooks because “too many iPhone designers were involved”. He kinda has a point - instead of designing them to be repaired more cheaply or efficiently, they were designed to be as thin as possible. Now repairing a keyboard or display cable will cost you $300+ because you can’t just swap out the actual part.

I have to imagine Apple has taken a look at how much it costs them to repair these keyboards for free and they’ll eventually make some design changes whenever a full refresh finally occurs. Hell, it’s almost in my best interest to make sure my display cable and keyboard are swapped out before my AppleCare expires so I know they don’t die on me as soon as my warranty is up.

Isn't there a class action lawsuit or some kind of Apple program specifically for the keyboards with this issue?

I agree, Apple seems to be going way too far with physical design. It's pretty, light and ambidextrous or not bulky but at the expense of durability. It's not just the scissor keyboard but iPhones and now iPads.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Splinter posted:

Depends on what kind of display you want to run. The quad core i7 will still be okay for a lot of stuff, but the HD 4000 iGPU will show it's age in some cases. I believe its max resolution @ 60 hz is 2560x1600, so that means no 4k displays, 1440p ultrawides (3440 x 1440) or anything higher.

Whoa, the quad core 2012 Mini's on ebay demand a serious premium! Like twice as much as the i5 version, from low $400's to $1000. Crazy for a computer that's almost 7 years old.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

Probably because he has to deal with tech garbage 24/7 . Sure would make me yell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

frogbs posted:

Whoa, the quad core 2012 Mini's on ebay demand a serious premium! Like twice as much as the i5 version, from low $400's to $1000. Crazy for a computer that's almost 7 years old.

Someone in SA Mart even had an i5 12 for like $300 or less recently. I considered getting it as a spare for mine. I remember seeing i7s for 600-700 before but I had no real use paying that for something that probably wouldn't make a huge amount of difference, and now I'd rather just buy a new machine full stop.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LionArcher posted:

As someone who’s buying a used MacBook Pro 2015 in the next few months, what are the chances it gets at least next years OS update?

100%

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Perfect. That way I figure it will last me until 2021. Assuming 2020 is when new laptop designs come out, I’ll wait till model 2 with their revisions!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

2015 rMBP's are still God's Nearly Perfect Mac Laptops.

Still has: sane USB ports, Thunderbolt 2 ports, SD card slot, MagSafe 2.

Also: can upgrade storage using off-the-shelf M.2 SSDs that run faster than Apple's SSDs.

2015 rMBP firmware has full support for NVMe drives including hibernation, sleep etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

2015 rMBP's are still God's Nearly Perfect Mac Laptops.

Still has: sane USB ports, Thunderbolt 2 ports, SD card slot, MagSafe 2.

Also: can upgrade storage using off-the-shelf M.2 SSDs that run faster than Apple's SSDs.

2015 rMBP firmware has full support for NVMe drives including hibernation, sleep etc.

So there’s no problem with getting a 2015 and in a year popping in a 1 TB SSD?:master: