Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

These are very good points but in the spirit of full disclosure I should probably reveal to you that Matrix 2 is my favorite Matrix.

Objectively I realise that the first one is better, but I always really liked the Merovingian and the Twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i really like neo fight in the merovingians house

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I actually did go back to the Thief reboot game after cjacobs scolded me so for dropping it after 30 minutes and calling it dogshit and I was pleased to find complete vindication that the rest of the game somehow gets even worse. I am kind of curious about how well Daikatana plays with some of the worst aspects addressed but I think there were more fundamental issues with the game that made it mediocre to bad. However, I couldn't possibly be so harsh on Daikatana today given that I've since paid for and experienced Duke Nukem Forever.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 31, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The best part about Matrix 2 is that it makes no loving sense at all unless you also played the tie in video game, a hybrid third person shooter and beat em up in which you must hold triggers to strafe, and which also makes no loving sense at all

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what about it makes no sense without the game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s not so much that it makes no sense as that it’s deliberately half a movie. 40% of a movie, if you include the game. The action scenes are good on their own but the connective tissue is much, much weaker than the first one. I could see liking it but thinking it’s the best Matrix movie is just madness.

I actually like 3 more than 2

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

what about it makes no sense without the game

There's a bit right at the end which revolves around something happening in a nuclear power plant which is only detailed in the game. To be honest most of the film was nonsense anyway so I doubt it makes much difference.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

site posted:

i once checked out new order because of that song thinking they must be edm group

i was extremely disappointed

:eyepop:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

site posted:

i once checked out new order because of that song thinking they must be edm group

UH MODS?! underage user alert!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BaconCopter posted:

UH MODS?! underage user alert!

im 32

new order is still lame

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ponzicar posted:

Now that everyone who remembers Daikatana is an adult, the hype wore off a long time ago, and we've finished laughing at the infamous advertisement, it's not too surprising if a reevaluation ends up being a bit kinder to it than someone's opinions at release.

It was borderline unplayable (you often couldn't finish levels because the ai got stuck) until it was fan patched so I don't think we were too unjustly unkind.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There been any Doom 64 mods or things lately?

Getting that Doom itch again, haven't played in a few years...

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I enjoyed the Thief reboot a bit better than either Dishonored game. I liked both of the Dishonored games a lot, I just like Thief (Thourf?) a bit more. I just wanted a game where I could whisk into locations and pick up anything I wanted for my profit. I even really enjoy that Garrett has little animations for picking anything up, which made moments of clearing out drawers around guards a little more tense. My only real complaints are that the story is really not interesting and backtracking through the open world gets tedious. On sale, I got an itch scratched by it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

victrix posted:

You could play that Brutal Doom 64 port, kill the urge forever :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Plan Z posted:

I enjoyed the Thief reboot a bit better than either Dishonored game. I liked both of the Dishonored games a lot, I just like Thief (Thourf?) a bit more. I just wanted a game where I could whisk into locations and pick up anything I wanted for my profit. I even really enjoy that Garrett has little animations for picking anything up, which made moments of clearing out drawers around guards a little more tense. My only real complaints are that the story is really not interesting and backtracking through the open world gets tedious. On sale, I got an itch scratched by it.

The slow animations ended up grating on me so much that I stopped trying to steal anything once I had gotten all the upgrades I wanted. It felt strange to realize that I no longer wanted to steal in a Thief game.

Ultimately the game felt like a bundle of half baked concepts and more sad than truly terrible. The hideout could’ve been cool but you don’t really do anything with it besides fill it with special loot that amounted to small variations on boring pieces of jewelry (and some inexplicable and bizarre portraits of nude furries). The overworld could’ve been cool but instead of encouraging fun sneaky shortcuts it ended up being a bunch of winding pathways punctuated by guards you were better off just killing or sprinting past. They tried to recreate Shalebridge Cradle but it felt weak. The audio system was the only part of the game I felt was truly broken, though, so I guess it has that going for it.

There was one interesting level in the game that happened to be similar to one in Dishonored 2 but aside from that everything was fairly bland. I’m really surprised you liked Thi4f more than either of the Dishonored games, tbh. I don’t think there’s anything in Thi4f those games don’t do better.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 31, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
We all know the best New Order song is Elegia, right? Right?

Plan Z posted:

I enjoyed the Thief reboot a bit better than either Dishonored game.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

We all know the best New Order song is Elegia, right? Right?

17 minute long version

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

site posted:

New Order kind of is a proto-EDM. Stuff like Kraftwerk was never really that dancey, but New Order blitzed the club scene with their new wave sound that was perpetuated endlessly by remixes.

Bizarre Love Triangle is where it's at, but I also unironically enjoy stuff New Order released in this millennium, so. :shrug:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The Blade Mod where you do flips instead of bullet time dives and have a pistol that sets people on fire is the best Max Payne mod

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQFev5gxTuQ&t=66s

It also played an extremely loud techno song any time you did anything

Then there were mods where it had a selection of music tracks attached to the bullet time so you ended up turning it on and off and on like a next track button.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CJacobs posted:

The Blade Mod where you do flips instead of bullet time dives and have a pistol that sets people on fire is the best Max Payne mod

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQFev5gxTuQ&t=66s

It also played an extremely loud techno song any time you did anything

I spent so much time with the kung fu mod for max payne 1. It added a bunch of ridiculous moves. I loved the dumb wallrun flips and bullettime front flips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwu_fd-D86w

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

victrix posted:

There's this in progress: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/102637-community-chest-64/

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ponzicar posted:

Now that everyone who remembers Daikatana is an adult, the hype wore off a long time ago, and we've finished laughing at the infamous advertisement, it's not too surprising if a reevaluation ends up being a bit kinder to it than someone's opinions at release.

The other main factor is that what killed daikatana at launch was how buggy it was.

it wasn't a case of flawed FPS design, it was the fact the game constantly crashed, performed horribly, randomly deleted saves, sometimes reset your daikatana's level on area transition. The AI companions flat out did not work, not even slightly. They would get stuck on stuff constantly, they died easily in a game with super lethal enemies, they were a useless burden.

the other problem was the save gem system. limiting saving in a game that constantly hosed up and killed you or crashed was a real killer.

i think technical problems are what made daikatana the flop of all time, if it had run properly it would be remembered as a flawed but interesting shooter with a terrible story and some fun ideas.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

haveblue posted:

It’s not so much that it makes no sense as that it’s deliberately half a movie. 40% of a movie, if you include the game. The action scenes are good on their own but the connective tissue is much, much weaker than the first one. I could see liking it but thinking it’s the best Matrix movie is just madness.

I actually like 3 more than 2

I also liked 3 more than 2, could partially be because my expectations had been lowered a lot, but I also felt it just had more to it. Though I'm not a big fan of either sequel. Speed Racer, now there's a Wachowski masterpiece. And Bound is good. Joey Pants is one of the finest actors ever by the way (Cypher and whatnot).

And as we've brought up before, it's fun/good that somebody in this topic likes every game. I like DNF, Thief 2014, somebody likes Blood 2, some like Daikatana, you name it. It's what we call turtle power. I don't like Daikatana myself, but I did like the DM test demo from a bit before the game came out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
There were several things objectively wrong with Wachowski's Speed Racer (2008):

1. They tried to use an actual chimp animal for the role of Chim Chim, but they should have used a little person or small child with CGI enhancements instead (I would have suggested either the kid who played Richie Miller in 1989's Teen Witch or that weirdo idiot-savant kid from ABC's "The Middle); a child/diminutive actor would have been able to emote better than a chimp, and they could have had Chim Chim do more interesting things than simply being, you know, a fuckin monkey.

2. Matthew Fox as "Racer X"? Seriously? It would have been better to cast Emile Hirsch as both Speed Racer and Racer X.

3. Kind of like needing to fully commit when trying to jump a canyon or leap across rooftops, the Wachowski's hesitated at the last moment when it came to CGI. They should have done either less, or more; I would have voted for "more" in a heartbeat--a ton more. They should have CGI enhanced everything in the movie, even props and actors faces (like eyes--not unlike what they're doing in Battle Angel Alita). Imagine John Goodman's character, except with a natural mustache that was CGI-enhanced to be super black and dense, or have eyes that were twice as large as Goodman's actual eyes.

Anyway, that's what's wrong with Speed Racer (2008).

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 31, 2019

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Well said, drat well said at that, though I can't even pretend Matthew Fox as Racer X doesn't rule. Even in the mid-2000s, Godzilla: Final Wars showed somebody in a suit is always better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maybe because of getting old, I reinstalled Rage, did just a few tweaks to not have texture pop-in at all (cache folder, SSD installation...) and... I'm enjoying it more than at release. I always liked the shooting part of it but somehow and is not nostalgia, liking the quests and driving (using my controller for that) a bit more.

What's next, installing Daikatana 1.3 and actually like it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not sure why were talking about the greatest film ever made, Speed Racer, in the FPS thread but hell yeah.

I got Strafe for free and felt ripped off. I also got Strife for free and Ive never played a game where I lost interest faster.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

I also got Strife for free and Ive never played a game where I lost interest faster.

I'm surprised, how far did you get? As soon as you get a proper gun the game gets pretty fun, but I concede the electric crossbow is a pretty unsatisfying weapon.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Rage is actually a good game at its roots, unlike many of its contemporaries (cough cough Borderlands). The weapons progress nicely from pistol to bfg, all with good gun-feel, each with a niche that amazingly doesn't obsolete thanks to the crafting ammo thing (Seriously the pistol is viable!). The worldbuilding is merely ok, but the low-level flavour&immersion is solid mad max. Combined with the ever-present, low-level pressure of cash concerns for ammo etc (until you find a loophole) it really helps the tension. Good gunplay, good atmosphere, good meta-gun strategy, it only really falls apart when the game, um, falls apart due to being totally unfinished and pushed out the door.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

juggalo baby coffin posted:

The other main factor is that what killed daikatana at launch was how buggy it was.

it wasn't a case of flawed FPS design, it was the fact the game constantly crashed, performed horribly, randomly deleted saves, sometimes reset your daikatana's level on area transition. The AI companions flat out did not work, not even slightly. They would get stuck on stuff constantly, they died easily in a game with super lethal enemies, they were a useless burden.

the other problem was the save gem system. limiting saving in a game that constantly hosed up and killed you or crashed was a real killer.

i think technical problems are what made daikatana the flop of all time, if it had run properly it would be remembered as a flawed but interesting shooter with a terrible story and some fun ideas.

That got Sin as well. At release it had extremely long load times (like minutes) and I don't think you could actually finish it. If I remember right there was tube in the labs that was supposed to let you through and it wouldn't move, leaving you stuck without cheating to go through it. I also remember that the patches changed the save formats so you had to restart the game when you patched.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

I'm surprised, how far did you get? As soon as you get a proper gun the game gets pretty fun, but I concede the electric crossbow is a pretty unsatisfying weapon.

Ah shoot its not Strife, I cant remember the name of it now and would need my computer to check since I cant remeber the name and searching "generic FPS garbage twitch gave away a free" isnt narrowing down the results.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Ah shoot its not Strife, I cant remember the name of it now and would need my computer to check since I cant remeber the name and searching "generic FPS garbage twitch gave away a free" isnt narrowing down the results.

Strafe?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nah, it was a Marathon looking game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

Nah, it was a Marathon looking game.

Strife?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Strofe?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Twitch was giving away Superhot for free with Prime last years, kind of a crappy game in its own way but hardly generic shooter. I can’t think when they’ve done giveaways of any retro FPS.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Taking a glance at my library on the Twitch app besides Superhot I see Overload, Strafe, "The Original Strife: Veteran Edition" and System Shock: Enhanced Edition.

Also something called High Hell, more indie than retro. I guess that was part of the Devolver Digital pack at the end of last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBvAmvD-DlY

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 31, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

skasion posted:

Twitch was giving away Superhot for free with Prime last years, kind of a crappy game in its own way

:chloe:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Superhot does become kind of crappy, after playing Superhot VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

$25 for a two hour game is horseshit sorry