Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i hope he plays the 'i feared for my life' card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lol privately-owned utilities

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://youtu.be/6svL10xXulQ

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Now I must watch that movie

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Eej posted:

tfw you don't own a car so you can do the opposite of being environmentally friendly

https://twitter.com/queercommunist/status/1090816161133006850?s=19

NAU campus was about a 20 min walk from the farthest campus housing spots to the other side of campus and in my circle of acquainces alone, there were countless divas and brududes that would regularly take übers to class AND loving BACK

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Madurai posted:

I can't get past the paywall either. I was hoping we had some German GiPsters who couold weigh in.

German goon here. I did my 9 months compulsory military service, and this isn't surprising at all. I was a Panzergrenadier, which wikipedia tells me means mechanized infantry. Anyway, our tanks would constantly break down. When we were out on field exercise during the winter, only three of our 7 tanks we took with us had functioning heating. Over the 4 weeks we were out, at any given moment, at least two of our tanks were unable to be used and had to undergo lengthy repairs. Our bulletproof vests were in shambles. At least the rifles worked. I heard that the professional soldiers got better gear than us lowly conscripts (which is understandable), but that they had similar issues, too.

Our military has been drastically underfunded for quite some time. Of course, when I mention that in the D&D Germany thread ("perhaps we should spend enough money on the troops to be able to meet our NATO commitments?"), I get laughed out of the thread :shrug:

To offer a small excuse, absorbing East Germany's military was apparently a huge drain, according to the NCOs in my company. We got a lot of useless tanks and equipment and buildings etc. that the military spent a lot of money to make use of it, but was ultimately forced to trash, which also cost a lot. Can's just throw a tank into a landfill, of course. Then the GDR of course had an oversized military, incurring huge personnel costs for the Bundeswehr. And we switched to a fully professional army relatively recently, conscription was abolished a bit less than 8 years ago. And there have been several ministers of defense who lost their job because they couldn't get the procurement/bureaucracy issues right. It's pretty shambolic right now tbh. I think we could do an adequate job to defend Germany from a conventional invasion, but we're not a lot of help if we have to do anything outside our borders.

And of course, there's some corruption going on with funneling money into our domestic military industrial complex while not getting our money's worth out of those deals.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Torrannor posted:

To offer a small excuse, absorbing East Germany's military was apparently a huge drain, according to the NCOs in my company. We got a lot of useless tanks and equipment and buildings etc. that the military spent a lot of money to make use of it, but was ultimately forced to trash, which also cost a lot. Can's just throw a tank into a landfill, of course.

I think a fair bit of it ended up here in Finland. I have heard a story from quite a few Finnish tankers that when GDR came down Finland bought what it tought was 200 T-72's. What was delivered was those tanks and everything else you would need to run a formation of 200 tanks, including recovery vehicles, uniforms, AK's for the tank crews etc. Quite a bit of that ended up in the second-hand market (not guns, obviously), but a fair bit was trashed. Some of the vehicles were converted for the FDF for various purposes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DoktorLoken posted:

Looking on Google Maps it's a 20 minute or so walk from the south end of the campus to the north end so that says to me that they're either lazy, don't want to ride a bicycle, or the campus itself lacks good public transportation.

When I was at UTexas a lot of us biked across the relatively large campus. However bike theft was by a tremendous margin the #1 crime on campus. I had several friends bikes cut right out of the rack in front of our building in broad daylight etc. The police's response was I poo poo you not "You'll just have to be careful this happens all the time" and then proceeded to tell us that the security camera over the bike rack was non-functional and just meant as a 'deterrent'.

We all just used extremely lovely bikes just for commuting to / from/ around campus. Fortunately there the schools bus system wasn't too bad if biking wasn't an option.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Remember that report of an officer charged in the case of another officer's death?

Turns out they played Russian Roulette.

They just somehow managed to gently caress up the basic concept of Russian Roulette.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNolen/status/1088939318452862978

I like how a cop pointing a loaded weapon at someone's chest and pulling the trigger is "involuntary manslaughter."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well that explains the emergency alert I got last night about turning down my thermostat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well that explains the emergency alert I got last night about turning down my thermostat.

The cops playing Russian Roulette wrong?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
:lol:

https://twitter.com/suntzufuntzu/status/1090722147373367298

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

lmao. reminds me of this meme format (which I love)

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Remember that report of an officer charged in the case of another officer's death?

Turns out they played Russian Roulette.

They just somehow managed to gently caress up the basic concept of Russian Roulette.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNolen/status/1088939318452862978

Teflon Don, chime in if I'm wrong, but even if neither of these idiots had ever touched a gun before the police academy, they surely got gun safety drilled into them by the range cadre.

So they were both suicidal. Or Hendren is a liar. That's what I'm getting out of this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
People are dumb as poo poo around guns. Even people who should know better

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Heh, no I'm referring to Mom (Gov. Whitmer) asking us to stay frosty.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It was prolly that stupid game that went around in 2011 where you tap the magazine but hold it so it doesnt seat right, rack the slide and go to your friend " do you trust me " and pull the trigger. Needless to say there were a lot of people who seated it correctly, loaded a round, then blew their friend away. It was also referred by the media as russian roulette.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

MaxPowers fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 31, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If anybody hands me a firearm and asks if I trust them the answer will always be "hell loving no, gently caress you" said with as much contempt as I can muster as I check it myself. Out of your goddamn minds.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1090967053689937921

I’m totally down with this slogan.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vasudus posted:

If anybody hands me a firearm and asks if I trust them the answer will always be "hell loving no, gently caress you" said with as much contempt as I can muster as I check it myself. Out of your goddamn minds.

yeah jfc its rule 1

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I handed my buddy's wife the first gun she held. I dropped the mag and racked the slide a few times on a pistol i dont keep loaded and made sure she did the same with any pistol i ever hand her. Who the gently caress just gets handed a gun and trusts its empty?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I don't trust myself, let alone others.

First thing I do when I touch a firearm is clear it, and I don't keep any loaded as a general rule. Although I keep one handgun with a loaded 17 round magazine inserted on an empty chamber. Looking at the single revolver I own (An awesome ex-NYS Department of Corrections S&W Model 10 in .38spl), I can't imagine randomly spinning the cylinder and then pulling the trigger. Literally probably one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of people doing, yet it routinely happens.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MaxPowers posted:

It was prolly that stupid game that went around in 2011 where you tap the magazine but hold it so it doesnt seat right, rack the slide and go to your friend " do you trust me " and pull the trigger. Needless to say there were a lot of people who seated it correctly, loaded a round, then blew their friend away. It was also referred by the media as russian roulette.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

lol I remember laughing at a story about some idiots playing Russian roulette with a mag-fed handgun because it sounds like something unbelievably dumb, like something you'd attribute to the fine people of Poland.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Like I have enough snap caps to make this a thing but good god why????

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Here's a good article on the bullshit states like Texas try to pull with fearmongering and disenfranchisement/suppression.

tl;dr Texas said 95,000 non-citizens were registered to vote, and 58,000 of them had voted since 1996. Literally no check done by anyone between the state or major media outlets, they just ran with it. Now Texas is quietly going "um maybe we weren't right about that".

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/01/29/texas-voter-citizenship-list-problems-state-tells-counties/

For what its worth, the Texas Tribune saw the flimsy proof the state made its claims on and immediately called it out as bullshit.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
What in the flying motherfuck?

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1091010919352713216?s=19

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1091012175051870208?s=19

They're loving staffing the government like it's a B-list celebrity show, but with politicians and garbagepeople.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

999! GROPE WOMEN EVYDAY!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
*Insert Herman Cain slow creeper grin here*

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Trump getting on the Cain Train I see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9dr-FItR8

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Donnie poo poo out a Twitter message congratulating himself for the Dow going over 25k.

His syphilitic swiss-cheese brain let him forget that this is the third tweet he's squeezed out of his colon celebrating himself for the exact same 25k number over the last few years.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1090623204698345474?s=21

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Hang on, Herman "I'm going to quote a chunk of a Pokémon movie when I'm giving my speech dropping out from the Presidential race" Cain? That's a blast from the past. Why do they keep coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Hexyflexy posted:

Hang on, Herman "I'm going to quote a chunk of a Pokémon movie when I'm giving my speech dropping out from the Presidential race" Cain? That's a blast from the past. Why do they keep coming back.

right wing grift machine leaves no man behind