Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

They came to the thread already past that point.

Scratch that, make it hundreds of thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

It’s simultaneously funny and sad that DnD liberals have been taken in by the Venezuelan equivalent of a bunch of MAGA CHUDs

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Chomskyan posted:

It’s simultaneously funny and sad that DnD liberals have been taken in by the Venezuelan equivalent of a bunch of MAGA CHUDs

Agreed 100% how this particularly applies to the "tourist" Maduro supporters flocking in here.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

Do you know anywhere I can go to hear from the other side of Venezuela? I mean like a discussion forum, not just articles. Unfortunately Venezuela Analysis does not allow comments. I can find their comments on youtube sometimes but its annoying to find new content there.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 31, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

e:^^^ Fucker. You beat me to it.

Chomskyan posted:

I know, right? How did they take you in?

Alternatively, ¿Por qué no te callas?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Oh drat. Hoisted on my own petard. You sure owned me

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Here are just snippets from the report.

quote:

The Independent Expert inquired from the Government and the opposition about the impact of measures adopted by several States aimed directly and indirectly at affecting the functioning of the Venezuelan economy. He also looked at the problem of currency speculation, one of the preferred tools to destabilize targeted economies, and the activities of credit rating agencies,42 which, although they have neither democratic legitimacy nor oversight, have a significant impact on the financial ability of States to issue bonds and obtain financing. The Banco Central de Venezuela informed him that risk rating agencies, primarily Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s and Fitch, have consistently issued negative ratings based on the country’s ability to make external payments, forgetting that the Government has a history of excellent debt response. That has had a significant effect on the country’s risk level and has essentially shut down its possibilities of accessing the financial market.

28. Illicit flows, or the illegal transferring of funds from one jurisdiction to another, has had an adverse impact on the ability of States to meet their financial obligations, as has the use of tax havens. International cooperation is necessary to ensure the repatriation of these funds. It also appears that international criminal groups are responsible for the theft of public resources, food items and medicines, which have found their way into neighbouring countries. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) can help States tackle some of these problems. There have been cases of hoarding of food, medicines and personal hygiene items, with the items subsequently released onto the black market. In some cases, the hoarding has been so prolonged that hidden food and medicines have perished. Government officials also shared concerns about the widespread sabotage of public property, arson attacks on public buildings, buses, ambulances, hospitals, maternity wards and other institutions, destruction of electricity and telephone paramilitarism in frontier regions and other violent acts tantamount to terrorism.

quote:

Over the past sixty years, non-conventional economic wars have been waged against Cuba, Chile, Nicaragua, the Syrian Arab Republic and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in order to make their economies fail, facilitate regime change and impose a neo-liberal socioeconomic model. In order to discredit selected governments, failures in the field of human rights are maximized so as to make violent overthrow more palatable. Human rights are being “weaponized” against rivals. Yet, human rights are the heritage of every human being and should never be instrumentalized as weapons of demonization.

quote:

Richard Nixon told Henry Kissinger that the United States would not tolerate an alternative economic model in Latin America and gave orders to “make the Chilean economy scream”, and when all the boycotts and sanctions failed, Allende was removed by Pinochet’s coup in September 1973. The Spanish economist Alfredo Serrano, head of the Centro Estratégico Latinoamericano de Geopolítica, analyses the manipulation of the “country risk factor”, the refusal of banks to process Venezuelan international transactions, the obstacles to obtaining insulin and other medicines, the artificially induced inflation, and the arbitrary “dollar today” figures. Furthermore, staff of the Banco Central de Venezuela explained to the Independent Expert that the pernicious exchange rate published on a website that was not grounded in factual purchase and sale transactions had been negatively impacting the economy, primarily, as a price marker, raising inflations levels, constituting an instrument of war that had risen constantly, accumulating during the year an upward variation trend over 2,465 per cent.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Chomskyan posted:

Honest question, what do you mean by this

I'm open to reading venezuela analysis or w/e source you wanna post

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Chomskyan posted:

You're gonna eat so much crow by the time this is over

The irony of this statement when there are hundreds of thousands starving right now that would eat crow if they got the chance.

But yeah, lets keep Maduro propped up after a fake election because red reasons.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Presenting Nipples posted:

Here are just snippets from the report.

The report by the UN Special Rapporteur?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

The report by the UN Special Rapporteur?

Yes

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/venezuela-us-sanctions-united-nations-oil-pdvsa-a8748201.html

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

ChaseSP posted:

Are we getting to the point of preemptively bragging how owned people will be when a situation they have zero control over may possibly get even worse, including the full on deaths of thousands if not more?

Actually people do have some amount of control over this. For example, they could have avoided playing into the propaganda buildup justifying the intervention by refraining from posting on US-based English-language online platforms for years about how evil the Venezuelan government is and how something should be done against it, and more importantly by not systematically shutting down opposition to US foreign policy and any discussion about the risk that this was leading to foreign intervention.

Believe me I take no pleasure in you being "owned". I know it's hard to understand but I'm actually here because I care, and because I'm tired of seeing this story repeat itself over and over again and always leading to so much suffering and injustice.

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 31, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bob le Moche posted:

Actually people do have some amount of control over this. For example, they could have avoided playing into the propaganda buildup justifying the intervention by refraining from posting on US-based English-language online platforms about how evil the Venezuelan government is
I'm sorry my posting collapsed your economy Venezuela goons.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Bob le Moche posted:

Actually people do have some amount of control over this. For example, they could have avoided playing into the propaganda buildup justifying the intervention by refraining from posting on US-based English-language online platforms for years about how evil the Venezuelan government is and how something should be done against it, and more importantly by not systematically shutting down opposition to US foreign policy and any discussion about the risk that this was leading to foreign intervention.

Believe me I take no pleasure in you being "owned". I know it's hard to understand but I'm actually here because I care, and because I'm tired of seeing this story repeat itself over and over again and always leading to so much suffering and injustice.

the degree of narcissism required to think that posting on DnD has any impact on either public opinion or actual policy is more funny than anything else lol, that much I think everyone itt could agree on

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

It was me, my complaining on a dead gay comedy forum destroyed my country. How shall I ever pay for this sin?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Blue Nation posted:

It was me, my complaining on a dead gay comedy forum destroyed my country. How shall I ever pay for this sin?

A 12 hour van ride with the threads top tankies.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

The only thing that can prevent US intervention, or intervention from any other imperialist government, is pressure from the citizens of these governments against their own rulers' foreign policy. With regards to the Venezuela situation this should be the top priority of any North American who actually gives a poo poo, because it's not up to them to cast judgment on how Venezuelans are running their country.

What's the point of an English-language thread about a South-American government, on a US-based forum, where the only discussion allowed is condemnation of this government, and where criticism of US foreign policy with regards to it is forbidden. What is the point of this? What do you all think you're doing?

If you really want to prevent US intervention, start reaching out to Americans and telling them to oppose their government in its attempts at regime change, and to counter the propaganda that justifies it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Bob le Moche posted:

What's the point of an English-language thread about a South-American government, on a US-based forum, where the only discussion allowed is condemnation of this government, and where criticism of US foreign policy with regards to it is forbidden. What is the point of this? What do you all think you're doing?

you do realize that most ppl who post online, especially on a forum as small and inaccessible as DnD, about politics do it for entertainment and not as a form of activism right?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Typo posted:

you do realize that most ppl who post online, especially on a forum as small and inaccessible as DnD, about politics do it for entertainment and not as a form of activism right?
I have been printing every page and mailing it to my congressman. Are other goons not doing that?

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Typo posted:

Your excuse is also the one used by people who spent the last few years posting "ironic" fascism and pepe memes on 4chan

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Bob le Moche posted:

Your excuse is also the one used by people who spent the last few years posting "ironic" fascism and pepe memes on 4chan

but 4chan was only notable because they actively start brigading facebook/twitter/reddit etc in other words, because they went from posting in their own insular message board to actively trying to reach larger audiences

also are you essentially saying -any- criticism of Venezuelan government written in english is tantamount to supporting fascism?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

What particular expertise did the author of the report have in relevant areas, might one ask? What was his area of specific competency?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

What particular expertise did the author of the report have in relevant areas, might one ask? What was his area of specific competency?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred-Maurice_de_Zayas

elgatofilo
Sep 17, 2007

For the modern, sophisticated cat.

Bob le Moche posted:

The only thing that can prevent US intervention, or intervention from any other imperialist government, is pressure from the citizens of these governments against their own rulers' foreign policy. With regards to the Venezuela situation this should be the top priority of any North American who actually gives a poo poo, because it's not up to them to cast judgment on how Venezuelans are running their country.

If you really want to prevent US intervention, start reaching out to Americans and telling them to oppose their government in its attempts at regime change, and to counter the propaganda that justifies it.

I can't believe I'm seriously reading an argument that claims the Trump administration and the State Department are taking their cues from a publicly inaccessible, tiny comedy forum for aging millenials that peaked over a decade ago.

If people feel so strongly about non-intervention in Venezuela, they should take to twitter or calling their elected representatives. However, most of the anti-intervention people I've seen on twitter have been the usual suspects in small academic circles or the far left, hardly a convincing choir of voices to effect change in the Trump administration.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

elgatofilo posted:

I can't believe I'm seriously reading an argument that claims the Trump administration and the State Department are taking their cues from a publicly inaccessible, tiny comedy forum for aging millenials that peaked over a decade ago.

You’re not

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Typo posted:

but 4chan was only notable because they actively start brigading facebook/twitter/reddit etc in other words, because they went from posting in their own insular message board to actively trying to reach larger audiences

also are you essentially saying -any- criticism of Venezuelan government written in english is tantamount to supporting fascism?

Bob le Moche isn't new to this song and dance and he's been put on ignore by any regular of this thread. He constantly comes on, engages in bad faiths arguments supporting Maduro then leaves after enough time.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/1090807153068306432?s=21

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Found an actual 2018 UN report on human rights in Venezuela. Oddly the other report by the one rapporteur doesn't mention any of this.

https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/VE/VenezuelaReport2018_EN.pdf

quote:

Deep economic recession, hyperinflation and the loss of purchasing power, together with the
dismantlement of the domestic food production system and the dependency on food imports,
have created a vicious circle that has affected the right to food for most Venezuelans.
According to experts interviewed by OHCHR, this crisis situation was caused by a combination
of economic and social policies implemented by the Government over the last decade,
including State control over food prices and foreign currency exchange, the mismanagement of confiscated arable land, State monopoly on agricultural supplies, the militarization of food
distribution, and the implementation of social programmes without clear nutritional objectives.
Government policies have affected almost every aspect of the food chain. With the 2010
expropriation and nationalization of Agroisleña, once the largest private agricultural supplier,
the State gained control over 95 per cent of all agricultural inputs. Mismanagement of the
referred State company, combined with tight controls on access to foreign currencies to import
agricultural supplies, caused a drastic reduction of agricultural productivity. For example,
between 2013 and 2017, white corn production used to prepare arepas, (a staple food
accompanying every Venezuelan meal), dropped by 85 per cent. OHCHR was told that, at the
beginning of white corn sowing season in 2018, producers only had 10 per cent of the seeds
and fertilisers needed to sow their fields.

During a decade of high oil prices (2004-2014), the Government increased the countries’
dependency on food imports. As a result, in 2013, 65 per cent of the necessary caloric intake
was covered through food imports.
With the fall in oil prices and the reduction of PDVSA’s
extractive capacity, food imports drastically dropped, yet the Government was unable to
reactivate domestic food production to fill the gap.
In addition, the food price control policy
in place since 2011 hampered the productive capacity of the domestic food industry.
The
establishment of food quotas to be commercialized at prices unilaterally fixed by the
Government, which were generally below production costs, increased food scarcity as profits
were not sufficient for maintaining levels of production. In 2018, the food industry reported to
be producing at only a 30 per cent of the capacity it had in 2012.252 Moreover, in October 2016,
the Government issued a decree forcing food companies to sell 50 per cent of their production
to the Government at fixed prices for social programmes like the Local Supply and Prodcution
Committees (CLAPs).
At the end of 2017, this quota was even set at 70 per cent of the
production. This policy drasticly reduced the levels of food availability on the market.
In 2017, the Government allowed certain corporations to import food but only through the
parallel Dollar exchange rate, which meant that while the availability of some food items
increased, prices were unaffordable for most Venezuelans.
OHCHR was told that pervasive
food shortages combined with high levels of corruption had generated a massive black market
selling food items smuggled from Colombia or re-selling food items bought at State-controlled
supermarkets or through social programs (like the CLAPs). Prices on the black market could
be up to 70 times higher than the State-regulated prices.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I love the whole “serially elide the first word of the article title and fail to link it until prompted, leaving no doubt about my bad faith” schtick

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

I've seen interviews by this guy and he's pretty much 100% in the tank for Maduro.

For example:

quote:

Now, we all believe in democracy. Your program is called Democracy Now! Now, there’s nothing more undemocratic than a coup d’état, and also boycotting elections. As you know, there have been 26, 27 elections in Venezuela since Chávez was elected in 1998. So, if you want to play the game, you have to participate in the elections. And if the opposition refused to participate in the elections, they bear responsibility for the situation that has ensued.

quote:

We have here an unconstitutional situation in which the legislature is usurping competences that belongs to the executive and to the judiciary. The judiciary has already declared all of these actions and declarations of the National Assembly to be unconstitutional.

quote:

Now, when I went to Venezuela, I again took the opportunity to interview representatives of Amnesty International and PROVEA and the other opposition NGOs, but I also had the opportunity to study the documents, to compare, to see the statistics, etc., etc. And, of course, there was no humanitarian crisis. There was hunger. There was, what we say in Spanish, zozobra.

https://dezayasalfred.wordpress.com/2019/01/25/former-u-n-expert-the-u-s-is-violating-international-law-by-attempting-a-coup-in-venezuela/

These are the standard propaganda lines from pro-Bolivarian Revolution partisans. "The only bad thing about the election is that the opposition sabotaged it", "the impartial Supreme Court says they're wrong," "everyone's just a wee bit hungry."

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 31, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I see he was named a "UN Independent Expert on the Promotion of a Democratic and Equitable International Order" until May last year.

I wonder why his report is so wildly varying from the 2018 OHCHR report on the causes of the food shortages? I find that curious.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Tag yourselves I’m “amnesty international and other opposition orgs”

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I found a list of OHCHR Independent Experts. It seems they gave assigned areas of expertise. I note the gentleman in question was not an expert in economics, food, or really, any really relevant area. Oddly he was one of the only Independent Experts *permitted * into Venezuela. Funny that.

quote:

The independent experts are:

Mr. Emmanuel Akwei, Independent expert on the situation of human rights in Sudan

Mr. Philip Alston, Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions

Mr. M. Cherif Bassiouni, Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in Afghanistan

Mr. Leandro Despouy, Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers

Mr. Doudou Diène, Special Raporteur on Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance .

Mr. John Dugard, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied by Israel since 1967

Ms. Yakin Ertürk, Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences

Ms. Sigma Huda, Special Rapporteur on trafficking in persons, especially in women and children

Mr. Paul Hunt, Special Rapporteur on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health

Mr. Okechkuwu Ibeanu, Special Rapporteur on the adverse effects of the illicit movement and dumping of toxic and dangerous products and wastes on the enjoyment of human rights

Ms. Asma Jahangir, Special Rapporteur on the right to freedom of religion or belief

Ms. Hina Jilani, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on human rights defenders

Mr. Walter Kalin, Representative of the Secretary General on the human rights of internally displaced persons

Mr. Miloon Kothari, Special Rapporteur on adequate housing as a component of the right to an adequate standard of living

Mr. Peter Leuprecht, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for human rights in Cambodia

Mr. Ambeyi Ligabo Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Opinion and Expression

Mr. Vernor Muñoz, Special Rapporteur on the right to education

Mr. Manfred Nowak, Special Rapporteur against torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment

Ms. Diane Orentlicher, Independent expert to update Set of Principles to combat impunity

Mr. Titinga Frédéric Pacéré, Independent expert on the situation of human rights in the Democratic Republic of the Congo

Mr. Juan Miguel Petit, Special Rapporteur on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography

Ms. Gabriela Rodrígez, Special Rapporteur on the human rights of migrants

Mr. Paulo Sergio Pinheiro, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar

Mr. Arjun Sengupta, Independent Expert on Human Rights and Extreme Poverty

Mr. Rodolfo Stavenhagen, Special Rapporteur on human rights and fundamental freedoms of indigenous people

Mr. Stephen Toope, Chairman-Rapporteur of the Working Group on enforced or involuntary disappearances

Mr. Jean Ziegler, Special Rapporteur on the right to food

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I've seen interviews by this guy and he's pretty much 100% in the tank for Maduro.

Yeah we get it, any source that contradicts the opposition narrative is “in the tank for Maduro”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is reminding me I need to do a deepdive on intra-UN politics and appointments sometime; it’s a total shitshow.

elgatofilo
Sep 17, 2007

For the modern, sophisticated cat.
Frankly, from an electoral perspective, the only people likely to remember this by the time 2020 rolls around are Latinos in South Florida. This is a pretty transparent play for Florida in 2020 and it's frankly likely to succeed. Trump won FL in 2016 by a razor thing margin, so every vote counts.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/30/trump-venezuela-florida-policy-1138307

quote:

“There’s a great camaraderie with different groups that have been victims of leftist movements: Colombians who fled FARC, and Nicaraguans who fled Ortega twice,” Curbelo said. “So yeah, there are just a few thousand Venezuelan voters. But everyone in Miami hates Nicolás Maduro. And if Trump wins by 20,000 votes, this will be why.”

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Funny how the pro-coup posters have coopted the liberal tactic of dismissing inconvenient truths as “talking points”. They know their audience well lol

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

it won't be cause Trump will tweet out some racist epithet of venezuelans by 2020

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Chomskyan posted:

Yeah we get it, any source that contradicts the opposition narrative is “in the tank for Maduro”

You can find leftist, even pro-Bolivarian revolution sources that contradict this narrative.

For example, here's an article in Jacobin (originally from NACLA), by Gabriel Hetland:

quote:

A series of government actions since early 2016 has made it increasingly difficult to contest the idea that Venezuela is moving in an authoritarian direction. First, throughout 2016 the Supreme Court, which is clearly and even openly subordinate to the executive branch, blocked the opposition-controlled National Assembly, which won the legislative majority in December 2015, from passing any major legislation. In some cases, the legislature was attempting to act beyond its authority, for example, in seeking to grant amnesty to prisoners like Leopoldo López. Yet the Supreme Court’s systematic blockage of the National Assembly effectively rendered the opposition’s newly captured legislative majority — and thus the December 2015 election results — null. Second, after months of foot-dragging, the government cancelled a constitutionally allowed recall referendum process in October 2016.

Third, the government indefinitely postponed municipal and regional elections that should have occurred in 2016, according to the constitution (although Maduro recently moved to set a date for the elections). Fourth, as noted, the Supreme Court issued a ruling dissolving the National Assembly in March, before partially reversing itself days later, after Maduro asked the Supreme Court to review its decision. Maduro was spurred to action when his own attorney general, Luisa Ortega, took the unprecedented step of publicly condemning the Supreme Court decision as “a rupture in the constitutional order.” Fifth, in April 2017 Henrique Capriles, a leading opposition figure and two-time former presidential candidate (in 2012 and 2013), was banned from participating in politics for fifteen years, on highly dubious grounds.

By cancelling the recall referendum, suspending elections, and inhibiting opposition politicians from standing for office the Venezuelan government is systematically blocking the ability of the Venezuelan people to express themselves through electoral means. It is hard to see what to call this other than creeping authoritarianism.

At this point the only people insisting that there's nothing wrong with Venezuelan democracy are just shamelessly lying to you. Probably because someone's paying them to; they can't all be that stupid and have come up with the same arguments at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/rokhanna/status/1090997456970616833?s=21