Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm honestly starting to think ENB and ReShaders are just not worth it. They can make scenery look nicer in certain lights but then also they can give you this silly glare on everything during morning light.

For reference, the second shot with the ReShader toggled off:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'll be honest, I've also never understood the hate for the vanilla appearance of Skyrim's base NPCs. You want hideous NPCs, try the witcher series (and the hideousness is deliberate there.) I like Skyrim's basic style and hairstyles but some people honestly seem to want everyone to look like jRPG supermodels. :shrug:

Like that, up there, to me, looks awful. Like why is Adrienne crying?

I also have a longstanding hatred for fancy pants fonts, due to the Wild ARMs 2. Give me futura anyday.

That was meant to be read off a blurry old SDTV.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I threw in a preset of Photorealistic Tamriel and all the NPCs look immensely better without any NPC overhaul mods.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

the only thing I use that could be considered an "NPC OVERHAUL" is Xenius Character Enhancements, which is just a series of detailed texture replacers that spruce up the deficiencies in the original textures.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

Ulfric remains free.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Default NPC faces, without and with the ReShader. My complaint about the ReShader making everyone orange remains.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Agents are GO! posted:

I'll be honest, I've also never understood the hate for the vanilla appearance of Skyrim's base NPCs. You want hideous NPCs, try the witcher series (and the hideousness is deliberate there.) I like Skyrim's basic style and hairstyles but some people honestly seem to want everyone to look like jRPG supermodels. :shrug:

I also have a longstanding hatred for fancy pants fonts, due to the Wild ARMs 2. Give me futura anyday.

That was meant to be read off a blurry old SDTV.

If the NPCs were well animated and crafted and just ugly, dirty people due to the nature of the setting I would be fine with it. When I talk about how hideous the NPCs are I am strictly talking about Bethesda's inability to render faces that look as good as other AAA titles (not how fuckable they are). Look at the difference between faces in like, the first Mass Effect compared to even SE Skyrim. It's really a personal preference though. I like the aspect of modding that seeks to bring the games more in line with current graphics standards because I got a big fancy computer and big fancy monitor and I want to make the most of it. Actually that default Adrienne Addamere just posted is pretty much a Mass Effect face, which I guess is fine considering when Skyrim originally came out but speaks to the laziness of Bethesda's "SE"

Addamere posted:

I'm honestly starting to think ENB and ReShaders are just not worth it. They can make scenery look nicer in certain lights but then also they can give you this silly glare on everything during morning light.

For reference, the second shot with the ReShader toggled off:

ENB is absolutely worth it but ReShader is definitely not something I care for. What ENB/preset are you using, if any? If you went with anything other than PRT you're doing it wrong at this point.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The best thing about mods is that you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

(See also: Frostfall and how I'm glad it exists for people who want it and how I will never install it.)

DuchessOfKvetch
Dec 20, 2018

Addamere posted:

Default NPC faces, without and with the ReShader. My complaint about the ReShader making everyone orange remains.

She's always orange and dirty. I think it's an attempt to look sun-hardened.

Fixing the face dirt isn't doable without NPC overhauls, as it's baked into each NPC's individual record somehow.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

docbeard posted:

The best thing about mods is that you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

(See also: Frostfall and how I'm glad it exists for people who want it and how I will never install it.)

Yeah for instance I pretty much ignored all of the survival/crafting/"realism" mods from tucoguide because I can't stand those games and I certainly don't want to make Skyrim more like that. "Yes how fun, I played three hours of Skyrim today and most of it was gathering firewood so my character doesn't freeze to death in the night."

DuchessOfKvetch
Dec 20, 2018

DrNutt posted:

If the NPCs were well animated and crafted and just ugly, dirty people due to the nature of the setting I would be fine with it. When I talk about how hideous the NPCs are I am strictly talking about Bethesda's inability to render faces that look as good as other AAA titles (not how fuckable they are). Look at the difference between faces in like, the first Mass Effect compared to even SE Skyrim. It's really a personal preference though. I like the aspect of modding that seeks to bring the games more in line with current graphics standards because I got a big fancy computer and big fancy monitor and I want to make the most of it. Actually that default Adrienne Addamere just posted is pretty much a Mass Effect face, which I guess is fine considering when Skyrim originally came out but speaks to the laziness of Bethesda's "SE"

I'm not even using Diversity anymore, because I hate the way the NPC overhaul mods add makeup colors to everyone. Just a combination of "Mature Skins" (females) and "Tempered Skins for Males". This at least smoothes out the eternal ruggedness of everyone WITHOUT making them look doll-ish, and lets you pick what works best for you.

Bonus: no black face issues, still.

But I again stress, make your "mod install"/priority order match your plugin LOAD order to reduce the chance of that issue, in general.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DuchessOfKvetch posted:

I'm not even using Diversity anymore, because I hate the way the NPC overhaul mods add makeup colors to everyone. Just a combination of "Mature Skins" (females) and "Tempered Skins for Males". This at least smoothes out the eternal ruggedness of everyone WITHOUT making them look doll-ish, and lets you pick what works best for you.

Bonus: no black face issues, still.

But I again stress, make your "mod install"/priority order match your plugin LOAD order to reduce the chance of that issue, in general.

Yeah no I've had zero issues post-Diversity install. Honestly I think the biggest improvements from diversity are the men, who always get the short end of the stick when it comes to NPC overhauls in general. Wonder why... :thunk:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
it is a mystery!

also NPC overhauls inevitably mean I have to stare at someone else's impression of what a character should look like and I don't like that. I can rest assured whoever did it at Bethesda just slammed out a hundred probably randomized facegens and called it a day, but when someone theoretically by-hand updates a hundred (99 ladies and one Brynjolf) NPCs ...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DrNutt posted:

Yeah no I've had zero issues post-Diversity install. Honestly I think the biggest improvements from diversity are the men, who always get the short end of the stick when it comes to NPC overhauls in general. Wonder why... :thunk:

It's actually a good question since the gamer demographics are much more balanced across genders than the stereotypes say. You'd think there would be a lot of sexy dude overhauls for the horny straight women out there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sexy Tullius mod when.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

diversity has dunmer with non-red eyes i don't know how anyone would even consider it let alone make it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cat Mattress posted:

It's actually a good question since the gamer demographics are much more balanced across genders than the stereotypes say. You'd think there would be a lot of sexy dude overhauls for the horny straight women out there.

Sloff is still an active modder I think.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Addamere posted:

I'm going to assume this is an issue with Diversity.

I don't like it.

reported 4 racism

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cat Mattress posted:

I can't explain it either but I think part of it is the availability of mods to base your work on. Most follower mods have a foundation of a lot of other mods and if the selection isn't very wide, it's pretty tough to make something worth releasing.

I'm not an expert on followers in Skyrim by any means so this might be totally wrong though

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Berke Negri posted:

diversity has dunmer with non-red eyes i don't know how anyone would even consider it let alone make it

wait what

uninstalling

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clark Nova posted:

reported 4 racism

She's the racist one, running around in redguard-face

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:shrug: I dunno it's been a million years since I played Morrowind and don't really give a poo poo about the lore stuff so it doesn't bother me really. I dunno I spend most of my time merking bandits and vampires while scuttling through caves and try to avoid long boring conversations as much as possible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Sexy Tullius mod when.

You can’t improve what’s already perfect, my friend.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Here are a few shots I thought looked pretty cool

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DrNutt posted:

:shrug: I dunno it's been a million years since I played Morrowind and don't really give a poo poo about the lore stuff so it doesn't bother me really. I dunno I spend most of my time merking bandits and vampires while scuttling through caves and try to avoid long boring conversations as much as possible.

:reject:

Filthy n'wah.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What's the best leveling mod for Oblivion? I tried one out that just gave you +5 to any skill you train but it feels kinda cheap. Also not feeling great about my choice of Atronach as a birth sign. I got lots of potions to regen magicka now but man its kinda a pain. I'm thinking about just going with vanilla leveling and doing it the hard way with pen and paper.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Galerion's Natural Leveling Revised.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Long shot but I figure I'll ask anyway. Does Immersive Armors change the leveled lists for when basic armor drops? For example, I just looted some Daedric armor, but I'm only level 38. I thought that wasn't supposed to drop until level 49.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Not to my knowledge. Where'd you loot it from?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Agents are GO! posted:

Not to my knowledge. Where'd you loot it from?

A random chest just outside of the entrance to Ansilvund, where you kill Fjori and Holgier.

I don't have any other mods that change balance or gameplay besides Immersive Weapons, which shouldn't change armor leveled lists. I'm concerned because I don't want to get overpowered too early. Does this make any sense to you?

Node fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 1, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Thank you that natural leveling mod looks quite nice and exactly what I was looking for. I'm running a real light mod list because of such a pain oblivion is to mod. It doesn't play nice with mod organizer and I don't want to go back to that old life.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Thank you that natural leveling mod looks quite nice and exactly what I was looking for. I'm running a real light mod list because of such a pain oblivion is to mod. It doesn't play nice with mod organizer and I don't want to go back to that old life.

Just FYI, if you ever decide to play morrowind again (and you should play morrowind again, morrowind owns) Galsiah's Character Development Lean is a very similar mod for Morrowind (play Morrowind.)

Node posted:

A random chest just outside of the entrance to Ansilvund, where you kill Fjori and Holgier.

I don't have any other mods that change balance or gameplay besides Immersive Weapons, which shouldn't change armor leveled lists. I'm concerned because I don't want to get overpowered too early. Does this make any sense to you?

I wonder, without looking it up right now, whether its from an area that has a high minimum level.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 1, 2019

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Agents are GO! posted:

Just FYI, if you ever decide to play morrowind again (and you should play morrowind again, morrowind owns) Galsiah's Character Development Lean is a very similar mod for Morrowind (play Morrowind.)

I wonder, without looking it up right now, whether its from an area that has a high minimum level.

Well, it was guarded by a a master conjurer who kicked my rear end. What's a high minimum level exactly? I thought all areas in the game were determined by your level and stayed that way throughout the game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Node posted:

Well, it was guarded by a a master conjurer who kicked my rear end. What's a high minimum level exactly? I thought all areas in the game were determined by your level and stayed that way throughout the game.

Some areas have a minimum level (that isn't 1) and don't scale below it. E.g. if you're level 5 and enter a dwemer ruin that has a minimum level of 24 all the enemies will be scaled to level 24, not 5.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
So do more people stick with modding oldschool Skyrim nowadays? Seems to be just so much more available there and I'm not sure the difference between modding that or Skyrim SE. I don't understand how some people can get some of these fantastic screenshots of character models in hyper photo-realistic backgrounds and it's Skyrim, the game. Then when I download all the 4k texture packs, and 100 mods realigning every mesh and texture in the game, adjust Nvidia settings to recommended levels it comes out looking like someone took a dump on a pile of poo poo.

Boggles my mind.

I just feel good that I got FNIS working properly to do more than have tits bounce around like some dumb anime.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Givin posted:

So do more people stick with modding oldschool Skyrim nowadays? Seems to be just so much more available there and I'm not sure the difference between modding that or Skyrim SE. I don't understand how some people can get some of these fantastic screenshots of character models in hyper photo-realistic backgrounds and it's Skyrim, the game. Then when I download all the 4k texture packs, and 100 mods realigning every mesh and texture in the game, adjust Nvidia settings to recommended levels it comes out looking like someone took a dump on a pile of poo poo.

Boggles my mind.

I just feel good that I got FNIS working properly to do more than have tits bounce around like some dumb anime.

the opposite, really. Skyrim SE is significantly more stable, both as a game and a modding platform. While there are some crazy rear end things from Skyrim LE that haven't been replicated in SE (i.e. custom dragon wings that actually let you fly springs to mind as a good example), I'd strongly recommend that anyone jumping into modding Skyrim go for special edition. It's just a much better - and prettier! - user experience. Sure, you lose out on one or two cool looking mods. But all of the best mods are on SE these days, and the added stability makes it more than worth it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Seconding this ^^^^

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

How To Install Dual Sheath Redux in Skyrim SE:

Step 1. Look at any guide to installing Dual Sheath Redux in Skyrim SE. Begin watching any related videos, reading any related articles, realizing just how much work it is for what is ultimately a minor cosmetic effect.

Step 2. Accept that man is mortal, time is precious, and literally anything else would be a better use of it.

Step 3. Get on with your life.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i just use this and go on with my day cause DSR is a real PITA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

docbeard posted:

How To Install Dual Sheath Redux in Skyrim SE

Step 1: Realize that modding guide videos are complete bullshit and that someone made a 20 minute one about installing SKSE. Never look at any of them again because they make modding look far more complex then it actually is.
Step 2: Realize that if you're not spending an ungodly amount of time on one minor detail, you're doing modding wrong.
Step 3: Grab a version of Dual Sheath for SE. Install the required stuff. Install the mod itself. Run the patcher tool.
Step 4: Try to remember what all the fuss was about, because that was actually pretty simple and easy. Shrug and get on with your life.

It's still somewhat of a fragile mod with a lot of possible conflicts and troubleshooting those will be an actual pain. But it's honestly weird to me how much people are going on about it being difficult to install.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 3, 2019