Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

All demographic classifications are barely above bunk as useful metrics because turns out every book runs series that are a bit outside the wheelhouse and crosses over, for the sake of variety

Seinen can be simple romantic comedy and Shoujo, especially historically, had some of the most gruesome horror comics ever made.

I dont think any of the old shoujo horror mags are still around tho, it was more of an 80's/early 90's thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What is an example of old school Shoujo horror?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/title/11307/13-peoples-short-suspense-and-horror

Most is untranslated, but there were entire magazines running through the 80s that just specialized in it.

The artists still work in a lot of cases, its just running in general mags now.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 24, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We should probably have genre threads instead of demographic threads

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fellis posted:

Must be all the lewd flashes of ripped lady abs and biceps, just too explicit for 14-y/o boys

Sometimes I wonder if it's just because it focuses on the female lead as much as (and sometimes more) than its male lead.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sindai posted:

We should probably have genre threads instead of demographic threads
Yea i never know whats going to show up in this thread because who cares what magazine it comes from

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jackard posted:

Yea i never know whats going to show up in this thread because who cares what magazine it comes from

I think its fine, because otherwise there would be a bunch of dead threads. Same reason not every manga should get its own thread unless its popular.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...es_tile_index_1

Humble Bundle from Kodansha that has the following tiers,

$1
Drifting Dragons(1-3)

$8
Land of the Lustrous(1-5), Clockwork Planet(1-5), Flying Witch(1-4)

$15
Cells at Work(1-4), Heavens Design Team(1-2), Fire Force(anime soon, 1-10), Pumpkin Scissors(1-15)

$18
Norigami(1-6), I'm Standing on a Million Lives(1-4), Altair: Record of Battles(1-8)

$20
Reincarnated as a Slime(1-4), To Your Eternity(1-7), Mushishi(1-10), Battle Angel Alita(1-3)

Even on Sale Slime retails for $6 and some change so this is a REALLY good deal.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dunno about anything higher up but Land of the Lustrous on it's own is totally worth $8.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pierson posted:

Dunno about anything higher up but Land of the Lustrous on it's own is totally worth $8.

I can vouche for Slime being worth it and even on sale it retails at $6 and some change. The preview of Heaven's Design Team also EASILY sells the series.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

All demographic classifications are barely above bunk as useful metrics because turns out every book runs series that are a bit outside the wheelhouse and crosses over, for the sake of variety

Seinen can be simple romantic comedy and Shoujo, especially historically, had some of the most gruesome horror comics ever made.

I dont think any of the old shoujo horror mags are still around tho, it was more of an 80's/early 90's thing.

freakin' Banana Fish ran in a shoujo mag

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
another chapter of the stupid gods vs humans manga dropped showing the combatants list and lmao

https://mangadex.org/chapter/530054/1

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Lmao almost 90% of that list is going to be me thinking about the Fate depictions bc Fate has ruined everything for me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I bet theres more gods than there are famous historical warriors if you measured them out and everybody got to fight.

All the syncretized pantheons do a sneaky trick and get to fight multiple times under their different names.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Simo Häyhä, rofl

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm shocked musashi isn't on that list. wonder if they'll get for a super stylised simo hayha or if they'll keep him accurate to real life since there are photos

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i'm shocked musashi isn't on that list. wonder if they'll get for a super stylised simo hayha or if they'll keep him accurate to real life since there are photos

I'm more shocked that Sasaki Kojiro is instead of him

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Musashi is too busy getting lost dimension hopping and eating udon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol that there are 2 fictional people on the humans side and yet heracles is still on the god side

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

lol that there are 2 fictional people on the humans side and yet heracles is still on the god side

Was Kojiro actually fictional? As far as I can tell, the majority scholarly view is that he was a real person: https://books.google.com/books?id=I...ctional&f=false

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Real or no didn't he get his rear end handed to him? Why not get the better one

maybe musashi just said gently caress 'em

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Was Kojiro actually fictional? As far as I can tell, the majority scholarly view is that he was a real person: https://books.google.com/books?id=I...ctional&f=false

sakata kintoki is fictional from a quick google

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I’m shocked only half of the worlds greatest warriors are East Asian.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

sakata kintoki is fictional from a quick google

I know Kintoki is fictional; I thought you were saying Kojiro was as well (because in Fate/Stay Night Kojiro is said to be fictional, while a lot of obviously mythical people are portrayed as real).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sakata Kintoki is very real. He rides a motorcycle and is my friend.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I know Kintoki is fictional; I thought you were saying Kojiro was as well (because in Fate/Stay Night Kojiro is said to be fictional, while a lot of obviously mythical people are portrayed as real).

i don't know fate/stay night but i just felt adam was a bit obvious as a fictional character. lol its adam and not jesus though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well obviously, Jesus wasn't quite human.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
How are heracles and buddha not on the human side when Adam is?

Pewdiepie posted:

I’m shocked only half of the worlds greatest warriors are East Asian.
Hey, gotta have room for others to job

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The Buddha and Heracles fighting to wipe out humanity does feel pretty weird. I guess Heracles's outlook has changed after spending millennia as a god, and the Buddha in this context is probably meant to be seen through a particular folk-religion lens where he's essentially just a powerful god who manipulates souls.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

missed the boat on that Jesus vs God matchup

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tesla was a cool dude, but there should be a decade ban on him being included in any fictional media.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Tesla was a cool dude, but there should be a decade ban on him being included in any fictional media.

Oh yeah, I rolled my eyes when I saw him listed. Leonidas and Nostradamus too.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 31, 2019

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Maybe Heracles is doing the God of War 3 thing where he wants to really, really impress Zeus bc daddy issues

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

With the humans being given magic weapons Tesla could be pretty fun

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SMH that Shaka Zulu isn't on the list.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
given the type of lovely manga we're taking about here I'm just glad he didn't put any Nazis in

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nah, just a glorified serial killer of prostitutes instead.

It really does have a fun stupid vibe, and I'm honestly glad it gets right down to business instead of trying to do a ton of setup as tourney style plots sometimes stray into. Just a bunch of assholes fighting.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Humanity’s last fighter should be Oppenheimer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is Vagabond still on hiatus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

Is Vagabond still on hiatus?

Did Real also go on hiatus?