Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm still in the early 30s in the backlist but I see episode 89 having dropped six days ago.

I can’t remember but if that is Old Forest time that is a good run of episodes.

It’s picks up again at weathertop for some more high quality stuff.

It’s all good tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Aw, fucks sake, there they all are. Morte d’Arthur eps too. Just all showed up in a pile without the app notifying me apparently.

It's trying to save you :v:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

What podcast is this?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I did not know that Christopher Lee ever sang Ghost Riders In The Sky but now I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PWuvHPGsjI

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm rereading the Silmarillion, i like how the years of the lamps had only ferns and big weird trees and no flowers, much like actual prehistory

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What podcast is this?

https://mythgard.org/lotro/

Ignore the LOTRO stuff and just go to the "Exploring The Lord of the Rings" section

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Crossposting this from the Lit thread:

hackbunny posted:

No idea if thread-appropriate, but IDGAF YOLO

A new Italian translation of The Lord of the Rings is coming out, and it's already a can of worms. The books were originally translated in 1967 by noblewoman Vittoria Alliata di Villafranca, when she was still a 17 year old girl. It's universally considered, other than an incredible achievement for such a young translator, good prose but a terrible translation, and despite extensive re-editing, it's still pretty flawed - entire sentences omitted, new sentences that paraphrase or explain, incorrect translations of names that completely distort the intended meaning, etc. (I've never read The Lord of the Rings actually so I can't confirm/deny). To add insult to injury, the most popular edition also had an introduction that viewed the story through an allegorical lens (against Tolkien's wishes), that was eventually excised and replaced with a translation Tolkien's own introduction

Last year, a new translator was hired, Ottavio Fatica (a veteran of the profession who has previously translated Kipling and Moby Dick), to redo the translation from scratch, and Vittoria Alliata has taken offense to what she's afraid could be a translation that "dresses up the Lord of the Rings in LGBT fashion, in deference to newfangledness"

*record scratch*

... what?

Let's take a step backwards. In Italy, there are two major literary associations related to Tolkien: the Società Tolkieniana Italiana ("Italian Tolkienian Society") and the Associazione Italiana di Studi Tolkieniani (Italian Association of Tolkienian Studies), that split off from the former when it filled with fascists. The two associations have been fighting a passive-aggressive war of words for over two decades now, and the Tolkien estate has wisely sided with neither. This is part of why a new translation of The Lord of the Rings should be politicized. The other reason is that Ottavio Fatica has already attracted controversy for making the homoeroticism of Moby Dick more explicit in his translation (I haven't read Moby Dick, either, so I have no idea how much of the controversy is founded, and how much it's about people who have statue avatars on Twitter), which earned him the enmity of the kind of people who haven't gotten over Vatican II and call Pope Francis the Whore of Babylon

Exciting, isn't it?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Gimli, do you like lays about gladiators?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

hackbunny posted:

In Italy, there are two major literary associations related to Tolkien: the Società Tolkieniana Italiana ("Italian Tolkienian Society") and the Associazione Italiana di Studi Tolkieniani (Italian Association of Tolkienian Studies), that split off from the former when it filled with fascists... and the Tolkien estate has wisely sided with neither.

You side with the side that isn't full of fascists, happy to help. There's a word for people who, when confronted with fascism, don't take a stand against it, and that word is not 'wise.'

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In the translator's defense, Moby Dick is hilariously gay.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, it seems virtually certain that that's a good translator catching flak for a prior bowdlerization.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's extremely gay and also very, very good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Moby-Dick is about hunting sperm whales for their head oil, and there is a scene where all the men are kneading the oil from the whale together in a big barrel and laughing and joking and having a gay old time.

LOTR has some guys who express love to each other and I think there's some forehead kissing.

I think Italy will survive.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You side with the side that isn't full of fascists, happy to help. There's a word for people who, when confronted with fascism, don't take a stand against it, and that word is not 'wise.'

Well said.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They're all debating fanfiction-level translations so how can the Tolkien Estate weigh in on either side?

Plus we know J.R.R.'s opinion on swarthy southerners. Best just to ignore that Italy exists altogether.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shibawanko posted:

I'm rereading the Silmarillion, i like how the years of the lamps had only ferns and big weird trees and no flowers, much like actual prehistory

Huh! I've never made that connection before. I wonder how intentional that was.
Come to think of it, I read Sil in New Zealand where there are indeed a lot of big dark quiet forests with huge trees and ferns; it certainly helped give a mental impression of the lamp years.

sassassin posted:

They're all debating fanfiction-level translations so how can the Tolkien Estate weigh in on either side?

Plus we know J.R.R.'s opinion on swarthy southerners. Best just to ignore that Italy exists altogether.

I thought Tolkien was okay with the Rome-and-Greece latitudes (or at least their languages)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The whole racial theory stuff is definitely the weakest part of Tolkien and I'd much prefer it if characters were noble or not just based on the choices they make rather than the shape of their brow etc. It's especially tedious how every people is basically divided into three types of decreasing quality (fallohide - stoor - harfoot, vanyar - noldor - teleri, hador - beor - haleth, a few others I'm forgetting)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Romans and Hellenes are good but proper Englishmen are their true inheritors, the degenerate Italians and Greeks are mere wops. Obviously.

Shibawanko posted:

The whole racial theory stuff is definitely the weakest part of Tolkien and I'd much prefer it if characters were noble or not just based on the choices they make rather than the shape of their brow etc. It's especially tedious how every people is basically divided into three types of decreasing quality (fallohide - stoor - harfoot, vanyar - noldor - teleri, hador - beor - haleth, a few others I'm forgetting)

This is a super reductive view of Tolkien’s racial taxonomy. The Noldor were so much “better” than the Teleri that they loving mass murdered them in a group-psychosis inspired by revolutionary antitheist oration by torchlight, come on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is racism justified if you are literally superior ?

(I mean I say no personally but Aragaorm for example is literally superior to regular men)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Is racism justified if you are literally superior ?

hmm I’m not sure, but it seems like the imperialist colonists from overseas who live for centuries, are all seven feet tall, and declared war on god are...bad?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are really good at being bad.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

skasion posted:

hmm I’m not sure, but it seems like the imperialist colonists from overseas who live for centuries, are all seven feet tall, and declared war on god are...bad?
On the other hand, they only get stopped after the last thing. Kicking around the other, shrimpier humans was presumably frowned upon by god and pals, but wasn't actionable. Defying your betters? That's an atlantisin'.
Tolkien had issues. You don't have to be HP Lovecraft levels of horrible to write stories filled with disturbing under-and-over--tones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Numenorean imperialism literally led directly to them bringing the devil home to Numenor where the devil easily turned the elite into a satanic cult that cheerfully torched human beings. This is despite the fact that Numenorean imperialists started out with (their idea of) such good intentions that even those of their rulers who opposed imperializing all over Middle-earth on moral grounds were like “well, I guess we have a duty to do it”. The point of the whole concept of Numenor (and probably of Tolkien’s racial taxonomies as a whole) is that having cool ancestors who got sick rewards from the gods like being tall and sexy and wise can’t free you from the innate moral wretchedness of humankind, if anything it makes you worse.

e: since you brought him up I’ll add that it’s similar to how Lovecraft’s infamous racism chiefly takes the form of his (white, mentally unstable, unsociable and generally Lovecraft-like) protagonists and narrators sneering at the biological inferiority of the lesser races and preening themselves over the refined arts and culture and civilization of The White Man, before Lovecraft the author steps back to whisk the curtain away and reveal that white people actually aren’t worth the poo poo you scrape off your boot, they’re just mutant apes/food for fishmen/degenerate forms of hyper-Indian wizards beneath the Mojave/parasites adventitiously sprung up on a planet that exists to serve as a prison-tomb for ancient aliens/actual descendants through millions of years of bacterial ooze, and the only reason they think they are anything special is as a defense mechanism to keep their frail minds from collapsing into the meaningless crawling chaos of existence in a godless universe.

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 1, 2019

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think the issue WRT race in Tolkien and the Numenoreans in particular comes down to a question of nuance - putting aside, for the moment, comments made by the author outside the text itself. The Numenoreans are obviously more than capable of being evil and morally depraved, but they are also shown to be good and virtuous, as well. The Numenoreans, like the white peoples of Middle Earth, are like real world people; some are good, some are evil, many are somewhere in between simply trying to live their lives. The issue comes up when that is contrasted against both the racial coding of the Orcs, and the fact that aside from a throw-away comment about a soldier, the non-white peoples of Middle Earth are always violent assholes and almost always in thrall to some Dark Lord or another.

The issue isn't that his whites are always perfect and good, because they're not. It's that his non-whites are always either evil or nonexistant.

skasion posted:

e: since you brought him up I’ll add that it’s similar to how Lovecraft’s infamous racism chiefly takes the form of his (white, mentally unstable, unsociable and generally Lovecraft-like) protagonists and narrators sneering at the biological inferiority of the lesser races and preening themselves over the refined arts and culture and civilization of The White Man, before Lovecraft the author steps back to whisk the curtain away and reveal that white people actually aren’t worth the poo poo you scrape off your boot, they’re just mutant apes/food for fishmen/degenerate forms of hyper-Indian wizards beneath the Mojave/parasites adventitiously sprung up on a planet that exists to serve as a prison-tomb for ancient aliens/actual descendants through millions of years of bacterial ooze, and the only reason they think they are anything special is as a defense mechanism to keep their frail minds from collapsing into the meaningless crawling chaos of existence in a godless universe.

Are you seriously arguing that Lovecraft wasn't racist?
Racism isn't rational or logical. You can, and Lovecraft did, simultaneously hold and express the idea that Human civilization and all its achievements are meaningless and worthless, while also arguing that blacks are sub-human savages scarcely better than apes. I love Lovecraft's works, but seriously, no. Lovecraft was a racist, and his racism informs and characterizes much of his output.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Are you seriously arguing that Lovecraft wasn't racist?
Racism isn't rational or logical. You can, and Lovecraft did, simultaneously hold and express the idea that Human civilization and all its achievements are meaningless and worthless, while also arguing that blacks are sub-human savages scarcely better than apes. I love Lovecraft's works, but seriously, no. Lovecraft was a racist, and his racism informs and characterizes much of his output.

No, that’s literally the opposite of what I was saying. Lovecraft was a racist who understood the psychological underpinnings of his own racism extremely clearly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“Racism is pointless vanity, but what the hell, it sure is fun”?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

“Racism is pointless vanity, but what the hell, it sure is fun”?

“Racism is pointless vanity, but I need something to get me out of bed in the morning, I can’t afford coffee and the universe is a howling void of nihil”

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Sorry for misunderstanding you. I thought you were arguing that Lovecraft was actually using his cosmic horror/cosmic nihilism to try and lampoon racism. Because, you know, in the hands of a skilled author and one without the racist bigotry of Lovecraft, I think you definitely could do something quite clever along those lines. So much of Lovecraftian horror is 'behold the folly of man' and showing our assumptions regarding science and sometimes morality to be laughable failings of primitive apes trying and failing to understand a universe too complex for them. You could easily do a deconstruction for racism along the same vein. Use the cosmic horrors to show the sheer absurdity in pretending that something as trivial as skin color or where your ancestors lived is a meaningful distinction.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HPL does occasionally mock his own racist characters. An example in “Rats in the Walls” where his protagonist is a prosperous wasp businessman whose cat is named Niggerman and who proudly recounts his descent from slaveowners and spends the whole story trying to get back in with his noble roots across the pond, only to discover that his aristo ancestors were a cannibal cult that raised mutant subhuman slaves to sacrifice in impious rites; what’s worse, they were descended from Irishmen. The irony of this, and the protagonist’s resolute refusal to accept the truth as it becomes apparent to the reader, is the appeal of the story. The main character’s pretensions to be genetically better than other people are exposed as a veneer over an utter savagery which predates civilization, and this is the horror that HPL is trying to evoke with the story — a horror which, unlike some other of his stories, lands just as well whether one agrees with Lovecraft’s racist beliefs or reviles them.

(To crown it all, the story was inspired by one about a black man, “The Unbroken Chain” by Irvin Cobb, a southern-born racist of exactly the same type as the protagonist of “Rats in the Walls”, right down to the comfortable, patronizing treatment of blacks).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

skasion posted:

Romans and Hellenes are good but proper Englishmen are their true inheritors, the degenerate Italians and Greeks are mere wops. Obviously.

This is a super reductive view of Tolkien’s racial taxonomy. The Noldor were so much “better” than the Teleri that they loving mass murdered them in a group-psychosis inspired by revolutionary antitheist oration by torchlight, come on.

It's not that simple no but you do get a sense that part of why characters act the way they do is because of their pedigree rather than their character. The moment Tolkien introduces Ulfang and the easterlings you know that they're going to be no good and will betray people, on the other hand there isn't a single Vanyar who ever did anything wrong. Having a "fair complexion" doesn't exactly make you completely immune to mistakes and there's lots of characters who get arrogant because they take their heritage for granted, but there's clearly a pattern where there are some who are inherently more noble and so on.

The Noldor sinned in Tolkien's eyes because they went against the natural order of things and became arrogant because they were naturally given more talents and status in the world than others, but that's implying that there is a natural order. The natural order in Tolkien is a kind of original sin, where entire bloodlines of people are presented as naturally less talented/skilled/noble just because one of their ancestors didn't want to follow a weird shiny man on a horse to the promised land 5 millennia ago.

That way of thinking also led him into clear problems when trying to explain the Orcs since it implies that you can have a kind of inherited pure evil while living beings are still supposed to have an immortal soul and free will.

I'm not implying that this should have been "fixed", just that it's a contradiction without which the stories can't really function. You cannot really imagine the stories without the Orcs and pure evil monsters, for example, there would be nothing driving the plot.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 2, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tolkien's racism isn't in deciding that x people are better than y, but in his constant sorting of peoples into meaningful categories based on their lineage.

A person's character and temperament is unavoidably linked to their heritage. There are strengths and weaknesses to every race, colour and creed in Middle Earth (and beyond). Defining these is considered important in the text.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lord of the Rings isn't racist. It's very inclusive.

e: It's about a multiracial alliance taking fighting an imperialist power.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 3, 2019

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That doesn't address what sassassin just said.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SHISHKABOB posted:

That doesn't address what sassassin just said.

BoL's a troll, everyone should know this by now.

Weak effort this time, though.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Yeah, your fault if you haven't put sassassin on ignore.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have one person on ignore on this whole site after 7 years. It's definitely not going to be someone who posts good stuff on the regular.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I have one person on ignore on this whole site after 7 years. It's definitely not going to be someone who posts good stuff on the regular.

Yeah I disagree with sassassin pretty often but they make for good discussion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If people are genuinely upset by the things I post they should put me on ignore. It's a good function that protects everyone from witnessing unsightly meltdowns.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You're a good poster :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shibawanko posted:

It's not that simple no but you do get a sense that part of why characters act the way they do is because of their pedigree rather than their character. The moment Tolkien introduces Ulfang and the easterlings you know that they're going to be no good and will betray people, on the other hand there isn't a single Vanyar who ever did anything wrong. Having a "fair complexion" doesn't exactly make you completely immune to mistakes and there's lots of characters who get arrogant because they take their heritage for granted, but there's clearly a pattern where there are some who are inherently more noble and so on.

The Noldor sinned in Tolkien's eyes because they went against the natural order of things and became arrogant because they were naturally given more talents and status in the world than others, but that's implying that there is a natural order. The natural order in Tolkien is a kind of original sin, where entire bloodlines of people are presented as naturally less talented/skilled/noble just because one of their ancestors didn't want to follow a weird shiny man on a horse to the promised land 5 millennia ago.

That way of thinking also led him into clear problems when trying to explain the Orcs since it implies that you can have a kind of inherited pure evil while living beings are still supposed to have an immortal soul and free will.

I'm not implying that this should have been "fixed", just that it's a contradiction without which the stories can't really function. You cannot really imagine the stories without the Orcs and pure evil monsters, for example, there would be nothing driving the plot.
I do think one thing that comes through pretty clearly throughout Tolkien is that while your birth or superpowers or whatever may determine the blast radius of your sins, it does not make you intrinsically more clever or more likely to make the right call. Hell, even the entire plan to destroy the Ring is not rationally justifiable save perhaps by "this has a small but non-zero chance of success, everything else is just stalling until the Elves can leave and everyone else can, uh, die I guess"

I think you could do the story without Orcs but it did require some kind of thing for Sauron to boss around. In some ways the orcs are cleaner because the alternatives that come to mind ("Men who still worship Melkor," "Haradrim or Easterlings or whatever") have the same general problem, perhaps more strongly ("ah so it's minority religions eh?", "ah so it's Johnny Foreigner who serves evil, yes I see"). The nature of the tale requires some kind of antagonistic military force, whereas the Hobbit could have probably been done without it.