Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like to call mine a musclemancer tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Warthur posted:

Numenera's greatest invention is a title which it's even more tempting to do the Muppet "doot-doot, doo-doo-doo" after than "In Nomine".

Back when he Kickstarted it, I asked Monte Cook how he pronounced "Numenera," and he said it's like "New Men Era." So it doesn't scan the same as "Mah Nà Mah Nà."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Numenera
Numenera
Hey, hey, hey
Don't buy

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have a reasonably strong dislike of Numenera, but Cyphers as a mechanical idea ("give players one-time options to break encounters wide open") is something I love and have stolen for many other systems.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

homullus posted:

Back when he Kickstarted it, I asked Monte Cook how he pronounced "Numenera," and he said it's like "New Men Era." So it doesn't scan the same as "Mah Nà Mah Nà."

How many syllables do you use to pronounce "Era" then?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Man I disliked the computer game but from what Rope Kid has been tweeting from the Pillars TRPG it looks like Ars Magica a lot...

Warthur
May 2, 2004

homullus posted:

At least in my accent "era" is two syllables. New-Men-Ear-Ra (doot-doot, doo-doo-doo!).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

How many syllables do you use to pronounce "Era" then?

Scansion includes both the number of syllables and the stress placed on each. Compare "phenomenon" (doot-doot, doo-doo-doo).

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

homullus posted:

Scansion includes both the number of syllables and the stress placed on each. Compare "phenomenon" (doot-doot, doo-doo-doo).

Beware the pyrrhic spondee punch.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

homullus posted:

I’m not sure if you’re suggesting phenomenon scans perfectly or doesn’t scan at all. At least in my accent both phenomenon and numenera scan perfectly into manamana.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

CitizenKeen posted:

I have a reasonably strong dislike of Numenera, but Cyphers as a mechanical idea ("give players one-time options to break encounters wide open") is something I love and have stolen for many other systems.

I'm not really familiar with that game, but how is this different from potions and scrolls? Or are Cyphers basically like those except really, really powerful?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sage Genesis posted:

I'm not really familiar with that game, but how is this different from potions and scrolls? Or are Cyphers basically like those except really, really powerful?

Cyphers are, ideally, supposed to be mysterious things you don't fully understand but that clearly do something strange and useful. It's supposed to be a little more interesting than just "heal 1d8 hp" or "cast fireballsuper future aether flame", though from what I recall the examples in the core book didn't entirely bear that out.

It's an okay basic idea, but, you know. Monte Cook Presents a Monte Cook Game by Monte Cook.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reveilled posted:

I’m not sure if you’re suggesting phenomenon scans perfectly or doesn’t scan at all. At least in my accent both phenomenon and numenera scan perfectly into manamana.

are you saying NU me NER ah or are you saying nu MEN er AH?
If the former, it does not scan, if the latter, you have a very strange accent

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Leperflesh posted:

who the gently caress says "MA na MA na"

it scans with the latter

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

who the gently caress says "MA na MA na"

it scans with the latter

Exactly. But numenera is pronounced the former way.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Leperflesh posted:

Exactly. But numenera is pronounced the former way.

Numenera is not a real word with typical usage, and whatever stress pattern one thinks appropriate is equally correct.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Numenera is not a real word with typical usage, and whatever stress pattern one thinks appropriate is equally correct.

that's true, but most english speakers will default to numen-era, partially for linguistic reasons and partially because numen is a real word, and era is a real word, and the title is an obvious compound word,

I mean, it's not pronounced, "Pan-ka-kay"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is only right now that I have realized it's Numenera, not Numenara.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

It is only right now that I have realized it's Numenera, not Numenara.

it is Not A Good Name

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Numenera
Numenera
Hey, hey, hey
Don't buy

This, however, both scans and contains valuable survival advice for a world not meant for humans.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Impermanent posted:

that's true, but most english speakers will default to numen-era, partially for linguistic reasons and partially because numen is a real word, and era is a real word, and the title is an obvious compound word,

I mean, it's not pronounced, "Pan-ka-kay"

What are these “linguistic reasons” you cite? Like actual ones not your tummy feels.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

Normally I think some deference is given to the author who invents a name if they provide a pronunciation, though. And of course anyone can pronounce anything however they please, but a novel usage draws attention to itself and may trigger cognitive dissonance to listeners who must interrupt their attention to meaning briefly to puzzle out what the speaker might be intending. In poetry and by extension song, this can mean something "just sounds wrong" to the listener. A poet who understands meter and rhyme well can use this device intentionally, of course, but more often it gives the impression of a lack of skill.

Probably that's what prompted people to pick on Warthur's comment to begin with.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/hexcrawl/status/1090452881952645121

This comment at the end of his thread trying to justify his nonsense boggles my mind.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why does his av picture look like one of Tobias Funke's "leading man" headshots?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

What are these “linguistic reasons” you cite? Like actual ones not your tummy feels.

English has rules about which syllables are emphasized. Complicated ones, with many exceptions. If a new word is coined for use in English and the author doesn't want it pronounced with emphasis according to the convention, there are tools available to tell the reader, although many (maybe most) English speakers/readers are not well skilled in their usage.

https://www.druide.com/en/reports/using-accents-and-diacritics-english

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Leperflesh posted:

English has rules about which syllables are emphasized. Complicated ones, with many exceptions. If a new word is coined for use in English and the author doesn't want it pronounced with emphasis according to the convention, there are tools available to tell the reader, although many (maybe most) English speakers/readers are not well skilled in their usage.

https://www.druide.com/en/reports/using-accents-and-diacritics-english

Yes but this isn't an English word.

(I'm a linguistics professor.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sage Genesis posted:

I'm not really familiar with that game, but how is this different from potions and scrolls?

It isn't and they aren't. Numenera is just D&D with a vague Book of the New Sun patina over it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is an English speaker coining a proper noun in an English work: and when asked, he provided a pronunciation guide which also obeys the conventional emphasis.

homullus posted:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Y'all putting more creativity into this argument than went into Numa Numa Nera.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Leperflesh posted:

Sure, but if as you suggest we give deference to the author, you're supposed to pronounce it like "New Men Era". "NU me NER ah" can't be the right way to pronounce it, because "men" has to be its own syllable. I'd instinctively pronounce it like "NU me NER ah", but that doesn't sound like "new men era", it sounds like "New meh nerah" or "New menera". At least to me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

This is an English speaker coining a proper noun in an English work: and when asked, he provided a pronunciation guide which also obeys the conventional emphasis.

English stress is more complicated than you think, its orthography is really not good at explicating stress, and the joke was funny.

Native English speakers read a made-up word differently from you, calm down.

You also haven't actually given a reason why the stress should be where you want it to be. English doesn't have a uniform stress pattern in regards to syllables (it's not like French or Hungarian or whatever), as we can see in examples like "content" the adjective and "content" the noun or "digest" the verb and "digest" the noun.

And again, it's a made up word. I can make up words that don't obey my native language's phonology.

"Ktot".

There, I just did it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I just automatically pronounce unfamiliar words with Japanese syllables. Nu-me-ne-ra.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

If you really want it there's an RPG that works for both lines anyway.

TMNT
And Other Strangeness

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Really thought it was Numenara (pronounced 'Noo-men-ahr-a'). I find the additional e unpleasant and shan't be acknowledging its presence in the future.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Sure, but if as you suggest we give deference to the author, you're supposed to pronounce it like "New Men Era". "NU me NER ah" can't be the right way to pronounce it, because "men" has to be its own syllable. I'd instinctively pronounce it like "NU me NER ah", but that doesn't sound like "new men era", it sounds like "New meh nerah" or "New menera". At least to me.

The emphasis winds up on the E in either case, it's really hard to emphasize a consonant.

Xiahou Dun posted:

English stress is more complicated than you think, its orthography is really not good at explicating stress, and the joke was funny.

Native English speakers read a made-up word differently from you, calm down.

You also haven't actually given a reason why the stress should be where you want it to be. English doesn't have a uniform stress pattern in regards to syllables (it's not like French or Hungarian or whatever), as we can see in examples like "content" the adjective and "content" the noun or "digest" the verb and "digest" the noun.

And again, it's a made up word. I can make up words that don't obey my native language's phonology.

"Ktot".

There, I just did it.

Convention always trumps the general rule but that doesn't mean the rule is entirely absent.

In this case I think the rule is combining stress on the first syllable for proper nouns with secondary stress on the penultimate syllable especially for those ending in a vowel.

Compare to: Minnesota, Alabama, Madagascar, Londonderry, and contrast to an exception like Australia (but perhaps the slang 'Stralya is used in part because the deemphasized first syllable is weird?).

e. And just to acknowledge what your'e saying, I'm very much aware that English pronunciation is ridiculously complicated. I think this whole discussion exemplifies why (especially fantasy) authors should pay more attention to how they spell and guide pronunciation of their made-up proper nouns.

Cook could have written Numenéra and made things more clear.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 31, 2019

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The emphasis winds up on the E in either case, it's really hard to emphasize a consonant.

Convention always trumps the general rule but that doesn't mean the rule is entirely absent.

In this case I think the rule is combining stress on the first syllable for proper nouns with secondary stress on the penultimate syllable especially for those ending in a vowel.

Compare to: Minnesota, Alabama, Madagascar, Londonderry, and contrast to an exception like Australia (but perhaps the slang 'Stralya is used in part because the deemphasized first syllable is weird?).

The slang is 'straya, everything else gets dropped hth.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

e. And just to acknowledge what your'e saying, I'm very much aware that English pronunciation is ridiculously complicated. I think this whole discussion exemplifies why (especially fantasy) authors should pay more attention to how they spell and guide pronunciation of their made-up proper nouns.

Cook could have written Numenéra and made things more clear.

This argument is just surreal.

THIS ISN'T AN ENGLISH WORD.

Secondly, what you said about English stress patterns isn't a "rule" ; it's something you pulled out of your rear end. And your examples are not natively English words either. It's very weird.

Also I have a masters and most of a PhD in this, why are you trying to do this weird stress-splaining thing????

Specified in the beginning that I wanted these supposed "linguistic factors" and none have come up. You're just making poo poo up. You don't actually know anything about language just from speaking a language, please stop. It's a made up word and we can pronounce it however we want cause it's not like he gave an IPA transcription. I could make a perfectly cogent argument (in very bad faith) that it should be pronounced /kɛvɪn/, cause we're just making poo poo up based on a fake orthography made by a hack.

Please dear god drop this stupid loving argument. We don't even know whatever the hell language this is supposed to be in has stress. Maybe it's mora-timed. Maybe it's stress-less. Maybe it's god drat tonal. The made up word was not created to have this much detail because Cook doesn't know anything about language.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Leperflesh posted:

I figured the easiest way to explain how I'm getting to the result I've got would be to record it:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0nOONzhTJB8

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Xiahou Dun posted:

This argument is just surreal.

THIS ISN'T AN ENGLISH WORD.

Secondly, what you said about English stress patterns isn't a "rule" ; it's something you pulled out of your rear end. And your examples are not natively English words either. It's very weird.

Also I have a masters and most of a PhD in this, why are you trying to do this weird stress-splaining thing????

Specified in the beginning that I wanted these supposed "linguistic factors" and none have come up. You're just making poo poo up. You don't actually know anything about language just from speaking a language, please stop. It's a made up word and we can pronounce it however we want cause it's not like he gave an IPA transcription. I could make a perfectly cogent argument (in very bad faith) that it should be pronounced /kɛvɪn/, cause we're just making poo poo up based on a fake orthography made by a hack.

Please dear god drop this stupid loving argument. We don't even know whatever the hell language this is supposed to be in has stress. Maybe it's mora-timed. Maybe it's stress-less. Maybe it's god drat tonal. The made up word was not created to have this much detail because Cook doesn't know anything about language.

Don't forget this whole thing started because we were joking about it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Xiahou Dun posted:

I learned the concepts Xihaou Dun is explaining to Leperflesh in a loving first year survey course, no less, like you don't even need to have the masters to know this if you've studied linguistics almost at all.

Which Leperflesh clearly hasn't and legitimately needs to quit while he's ahead on this.