Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

tonberrytoby posted:

A singular brake engaging isn't really failsafe on a train. If a wagon in the middle of a train at speed has its brakes suddenly engaged the wagons behind it will crash into it, fly through the air into neighboring trains and houses.

Failsafe would be when all the breaks on the train engage at a safe breaking power, which is the behavior on controller failure but this is unrealistic to implement for power failure.

Fair enough but I think most trains have brake continuity or something similar - if a brake comes on somewhere they come on everywhere. Obviously a bit of a fucker if you do have a brake failure as its not immediately obvious where the problem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

OrthoTrot posted:

Fair enough but I think most trains have brake continuity or something similar - if a brake comes on somewhere they come on everywhere. Obviously a bit of a fucker if you do have a brake failure as its not immediately obvious where the problem is.

I'm no engineer but a potential problem I see with using a powerful enough spring to provide the needed braking power is having enough pressure in the system to overcome it. Google tells me that truck brakes operate at about 50% to 100% higher pressure than freight train brakes.

It's late and I'm tired but I think there may be other design implications from the pressure in the pipe providing the anti-braking force and not just "enough pressure to cause the valves to operate when it drops", but I can't think of any examples of what these might be, maybe it's nothing.

Another minor concern is that maintenance would be a pain - if you remove the pressure from a Westinghouse system you only have to fight the relatively weak return spring to (dis)assemble the brakes.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

a kitten posted:

:same:

Here's what I had been considering a perfectly normal, non confusing, clearly marked intersection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBenv-G6Sfc

Now, I'm going to be nervous every time I go through there.

Wow. It seems like no one is paying attention here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
did there not use to be a signal there or do monochromats only live because that’s a fuckload of blown reds

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did there not use to be a signal there or do monochromats only live because that’s a fuckload of blown reds

Signal's been there forever, it even has a red light camera. Sight lines are clear, it's at the top of a hill for one direction but nothing crazy. There's like... nothing weird about it.

I'm baffled.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Building a society based around personal vehicles was a mistake.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Baronjutter posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a documentary.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I would not be surprised if you got material like this pointing a camera at *any* city intersection for a week

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, but the mistake is made, so our only option now is to double down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Coxswain Balls posted:

On top of the blindness, it sounds like he's mentally handicapped. I wouldn't want him operating anything with an engine in it, let alone a vehicle.

And his boyfriend keeps encouraging him to keep driving, even though it's completely obvious that he's unfit for the task. If your partner is such a terrible driver that they're going to kill themselves or someone else if they don't stop, the caring thing to do is to convince them to give it up, not keep telling them that they're gonna get right it one of these days!

One really poignant episode of the show had a woman who had been nominated by her husband as the worst driver. When she was doing the driving training with the instructors she was anxious but generally did pretty well -- but when she did the tests with her husband in the passenger seat, she kept failing. The cameras showed that he was a huge rear end in a top hat and was just yelling and berating her constantly and grabbing the wheel out of her hands and poo poo. The show cut together all of the insults that he yelled at his wife and put them on a CD, and the host took him for a drive to listen to himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmgHxdj5k8&t=1848s

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Apologies if this has been shared already (I only visit this thread once every few hundred posts) but have you guys seen Uncle Rob's channel? It's extremely OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDDPd8vVPdg

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've watched a couple of the last seasons of CWD on youtube, and I'm equal parts horrified and entertained. Many of these people have such severe mental issues or are so foundationally bad human beings that if you fixed everything about their driving 100% and they never touched a steering wheel again, they would still be just as much a danger to themselves and others. That kid with the Justin Bieber haircut and arm in a cast belongs in a mental institution, not out in public.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There was one guy on CWD, Scott, who got kicked off the show partway through because he was such an aggressive rear end in a top hat that his roommate got fed up and canceled his insurance, which prevented him from legally driving. He would weave in and out of traffic at 90 MPH for fun and had owned over 60 cars because of all the crashes he had. He got arrested for speeding again in 2015 for going over 100 MPH with a suspended license and unregistered vehicle.

https://twitter.com/ScottSchurink/status/418496105307852800

And then on another season Angelica got removed from the show and sent to rehab after she had an emotional breakdown basically any time she had even minor stress and it turned out that she had severe untreated mental illness that she tried to self-medicate with alcohol and stolen prescription drugs. Guess who got a DUI arrest a few years later?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

There was one guy on CWD, Scott, who got kicked off the show partway through because he was such an aggressive rear end in a top hat that his roommate got fed up and canceled his insurance, which prevented him from legally driving. He would weave in and out of traffic at 90 MPH for fun and had owned over 60 cars because of all the crashes he had. He got arrested for speeding again in 2015 for going over 100 MPH with a suspended license and unregistered vehicle.

There's no way this person isn't an Albertan, and I'm even willing to bet they work(ed) in the tar sands in some capacity.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress does a show even get liability insurance for horrible drivers driving around on public streets? Good god

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've just cranked my oven when our building's heat stopped working a couple times. It works. Heat's heat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

There was one guy on CWD, Scott, who got kicked off the show partway through because he was such an aggressive rear end in a top hat that his roommate got fed up and canceled his insurance, which prevented him from legally driving.

What. Whose insurance did the roommate cancel? Who was prevented from driving?

soy posted:

How the gently caress does a show even get liability insurance for horrible drivers driving around on public streets? Good god

It's almost as if reality TV is scripted and staged.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Most of the show is filmed at an abandoned airfield. Only the final "test" segment is on public roads -- and keep in mind that everyone on the show already has a driver's license!

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

There's no way this person isn't an Albertan, and I'm even willing to bet they work(ed) in the tar sands in some capacity.

Wikipedia posted:

Scott Schurink, 25, from Chestermere, Alberta (near Calgary)

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

What. Whose insurance did the roommate cancel? Who was prevented from driving?

him & his roommate had a shared insurance policy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

He was a Calgary city slicker, and a real winner all around

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/scott-schurink-who-was-on-canada-s-worst-driver-charged-with-speeding-1.3071129

quote:

A Calgary man who police say was caught speeding along Stoney Trail early Sunday morning says he is "innocent until proven guilty."

Police say Scott Schurink, who was once featured on the show Canada's Worst Driver, was allegedly driving 176 km/h in a 100 km/h zone. He now faces several other charges including driving with a suspended licence and operating an unregistered vehicle.

This was after the show aired.

He's still not as bad as the guy from Innisfail who had like 5 DUIs and just couldn't stop drinking and driving.

I don't understand how they can film these people out on the roads doing suicidal poo poo and just keep rolling to get some footage. The show itself is pretty funny but the producers need to be a little more responsible.

e: seriously, gently caress this human being and anybody who has ever let her drive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCDFQcA3Xs&t=995s

The cameramen were probably jacking off thinking they were going to film a good crash for the ratings.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 31, 2019

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nailed it!

Phanatic posted:

It's almost as if reality TV is scripted and staged.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/scott-schurink-who-was-on-canada-s-worst-driver-charged-with-speeding-1.3071129

The times I've watched the show it seems way better and more educational than any other reality program. As confidence building and vehicle handling exercises they teach them to do some basic stunt driving maneuvers like handbrake and J-turns, and you better believe I practiced that stuff when the opportunity presented itself.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canada's worst driver is a really good, honest, and educational show. They're really trying to get through to these poeple. It's also a powerful indictment of our entire licensing system being broken as gently caress that there aren't systems in place to get people like that off the road.

But we've decided to build a society where taking away someone's license pretty much removes their ability to participate in society in most places, which means the bar for safe driving has to be practically non-existent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Powershift posted:

The cameramen were probably jacking off thinking they were going to film a good crash for the ratings.

Actually there's been at least one instance (maybe two?) where the cameraman jumped out because they were afraid for their lives, in addition to them all refusing to drive with Krystal on principle.

Edit: Yeah, she had undiagnosed and untreated borderline personality disorder.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 31, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Powershift posted:

e: seriously, gently caress this human being and anybody who has ever let her drive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCDFQcA3Xs&t=995s

No wonder Fred always drove.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

I'm no engineer but a potential problem I see with using a powerful enough spring to provide the needed braking power is having enough pressure in the system to overcome it. Google tells me that truck brakes operate at about 50% to 100% higher pressure than freight train brakes.

It's late and I'm tired but I think there may be other design implications from the pressure in the pipe providing the anti-braking force and not just "enough pressure to cause the valves to operate when it drops", but I can't think of any examples of what these might be, maybe it's nothing.

Another minor concern is that maintenance would be a pain - if you remove the pressure from a Westinghouse system you only have to fight the relatively weak return spring to (dis)assemble the brakes.

Shunting cars in railyards would take longer if each car has to be hooked up to air and charged before it could move.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

I don't understand how they can film these people out on the roads doing suicidal poo poo and just keep rolling to get some footage. The show itself is pretty funny but the producers need to be a little more responsible.

What are you going on about? The TV show is almost entirely filmed on a closed course. The clips where you see these people on the road are from the pre-show nomination footage, where the camera crew is just tailing them while there's a GoPro in their car; or from the initial drive to the abandoned airfield. No one is coercing them into driving like morons.

if you want to blame somebody for keeping her on the road, blame the insurance companies who apparently continued to consider her insurable even though she's had so many accidents and incidents that her premiums are $10,000 a year.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 1, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

What are you going on about? The TV show is almost entirely filmed on a closed course. The clips where you see these people on the road are from the pre-show nomination footage, where the camera crew is just sitting in the back of the car watching them drive to decide who's going to be brought on; or from the initial drive to the abandoned airfield. No one is coercing them into driving like morons.

if you want to blame somebody for keeping her on the road, blame the insurance companies who apparently continued to consider her insurable even though she's had so many accidents and incidents that her premiums are $10,000 a year.

I understand that, but if you have video footage of a person committing multiple crimes, putting many people in danger, you call the police and give them the footage. You don't fly them out to Ontario and put them in another vehicle to get more footage. Everything shown in that video between 16:35 to 20:35 is on public roads. The black vehicle is a vehicle provided by the show. Nobody is coercing them to drive like morons, but they're providing them a vehicle with which to drive on public roads, and then filming it knowing they're going to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I've just cranked my oven when our building's heat stopped working a couple times. It works. Heat's heat.

And electric heating is 100% efficient, so it's good for the planet too :pseudo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

I understand that, but if you have video footage of a person committing multiple crimes, putting many people in danger, you call the police and give them the footage. You don't fly them out to Ontario and put them in another vehicle to get more footage. Everything shown in that video between 16:35 to 20:35 is on public roads. The black vehicle is a vehicle provided by the show. Nobody is coercing them to drive like morons, but they're providing them a vehicle with which to drive on public roads, and then filming it knowing they're going to.

I understand where you're coming from, but what difference does it make? As long as they have a license, they're going to drive like that regardless of whether they're on TV or not. If the broken-rear end system decided that despite all of her accidents (i.e. demonstrated incompetence) she's still allowed to operate a vehicle, that's on the insurance company and the province, not the producers of the TV show.

Providing her with a vehicle doesn't mean anything. Would you blame the car dealer who sold her the car that she crashed? She's an adult and she has a license.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 1, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Powershift posted:

So if the show put cameras in the drive's own car, would that make it better? What difference does it make who's car it is, they're just filming how they drive normally.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those people drive like that every day, the hope is to train them a bit to stop being quite so dangerous. Also they did get the police involved a few times. One lady bragged about a bunch of hit and runs she did and they used the info to bust her. One could ask the government why they aren't using this video evidence to take people licenses away, they have the power to actually deal with these people, not a TV show, they can only document the evidence. But driving is a god given human right in Canada, doesn't matter how many people you've run down or cars you've totaled, you just pay more for insurance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powershift posted:

I understand that, but if you have video footage of a person committing multiple crimes, putting many people in danger, you call the police and give them the footage.

What would the result of that be, realistically? The police have access to all the footage aired, so are they charging people based on it? Do you think the police just don’t know about the show?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

One really poignant episode of the show had a woman who had been nominated by her husband as the worst driver. When she was doing the driving training with the instructors she was anxious but generally did pretty well -- but when she did the tests with her husband in the passenger seat, she kept failing. The cameras showed that he was a huge rear end in a top hat and was just yelling and berating her constantly and grabbing the wheel out of her hands and poo poo. The show cut together all of the insults that he yelled at his wife and put them on a CD, and the host took him for a drive to listen to himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmgHxdj5k8&t=1848s

I hope the lesson stuck, but I'm not optimistic.

evobatman posted:

I've watched a couple of the last seasons of CWD on youtube, and I'm equal parts horrified and entertained. Many of these people have such severe mental issues or are so foundationally bad human beings that if you fixed everything about their driving 100% and they never touched a steering wheel again, they would still be just as much a danger to themselves and others. That kid with the Justin Bieber haircut and arm in a cast belongs in a mental institution, not out in public.

The only episodes of that show I've ever seen are the one posted a few posts back, and a couple that auto-played after that. I happened to see the group with the guy you're talking about, and I can't believe he's the one you singled out. The punk whose brother murdered a man with a truck, and who has himself killed someone with his lovely driving, and also beat up some guy in traffic, is INFINITELY worse. Biebercut is just a loud stereotype of a young gay drama queen, and will probably get better with time. That other guy is borderline hopeless.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

What would the result of that be, realistically? The police have access to all the footage aired, so are they charging people based on it? Do you think the police just don’t know about the show?

One of the hosts on the show is literally an OPP officer so yeah, it's not like the producers aren't doing their civic duty or whatever.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

I just hope that fan doesn't fall forward. Also, having to reach over the range to reach the controls seems like a really lovely design as well; I've only ever seen the knobs in the front.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
speaking from experience its probably better to just turn on the oven and leave that open

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

... can landlords just turn off utilities for tenants like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ponzicar posted:

I just hope that fan doesn't fall forward. Also, having to reach over the range to reach the controls seems like a really lovely design as well; I've only ever seen the knobs in the front.

That's weird because I've only ever seen electric ranges like that with dials on the back (at least, of the handful I've lived with and can recall). Makes me wonder if it's a balance between "reach over the stove" vs. "in range of children" or something.