Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I would say he doesn't know who you are yet so he's afraid, when you try to reach behind a dogs head if they don't know you, it will trigger their defensiveness.

I would recommend getting a normal collar and getting a harness of some kind, there are plenty of martingale ones such as the Freedom Harness which is what I use; will you have to buy 1 or 2 more as the dog grows up? Yes, but they are cheap $20-35 on amazon, small price to pay. Nice thing about the freedom harness is that it has the attachment for the leash at the front and back, though I haven't used a TON of other harnesses, this was the only one I've used that has both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This might be a dumb question but is there a way to avoid having my dog get tangled in his leash? He's got long legs so he's constantly stepping over it when there's any slack and ends up with the leash going between his two front legs. Or is this just a fact of life with how leashes work?

We do have a retractable leash but the regular ones are more convenient if we're not going for a long walk.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my initial reaction was way overboard mainly because I felt overwhelmed at first with the new puppy. I wasn't really thinking about the fact that he's not even used to himself yet, let alone these strange people doing all these things like adding/removing a collar, leading him around, etc. For now I've found that if I distract him a bone or toy it's way easier to safely get the collar off without hurting him or making him mad at me. Giving him a couple minutes to calm down once back inside also helps a ton.

I'm definitely gonna look at those freedom harnesses because that seems like it would be way less intrusive for me to put on and take off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How long is your regular leash? The 6' leashes are IMO too long and just give the dog enough freedom to get into trouble (either getting into things they shouldn't be, or getting tangled in the leash as you describe). I switched awhile back to 4' leashes and am much happier.

wilderthanmild: another thing you should recognize here is that puppies don't know what appropriate use of their teeth is. They're going to be mouthy and bite things, especially during play, so part of your training needs to be working on discouraging that behavior. The usual approach I've heard for dogs that don't know any better is to leave your hand out but to yell "Ouch!" and stop interacting for 10-30 seconds.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah my initial reaction was way overboard mainly because I felt overwhelmed at first with the new puppy. I wasn't really thinking about the fact that he's not even used to himself yet, let alone these strange people doing all these things like adding/removing a collar, leading him around, etc. For now I've found that if I distract him a bone or toy it's way easier to safely get the collar off without hurting him or making him mad at me. Giving him a couple minutes to calm down once back inside also helps a ton.

I'm definitely gonna look at those freedom harnesses because that seems like it would be way less intrusive for me to put on and take off.

Totally understand! It sounds like you’ve got the right idea. The great thing about puppies is they are a blank slate. The best thing you can do for him right is make things you want him to do fun and enjoyable. Throw a literal party when he potties outside. Slip him a treat when you put on/take off his collar. He’s chilling on the floor? Throw him a treat. Basically reinforce every single good behavior you see. On the flip side, do NOT yell or get upset when he makes a mistake. If he pees on the floor, ignore it and clean it up unless you’re catching him in the act. In that case, scoop him up and take him outside. If he bites/nips, playtime is over until he stops. Stand up and turn your back. When he’s calm, resume play. He’ll figure it out pretty quick. If he’s stubborn on a leash, don’t yank him around. Gentle pressure until he follows you, praise/treat.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also, you have not paid the puppy picture tax :colbert:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Sorry I'm late Mr tax man

Edit one more

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 28, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

wilderthanmild posted:

Sorry I'm late Mr tax man

Edit one more

A+++, 11/10, would tax again

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Adorable.

Something I wish I'd done more with my dog when he was younger was do a lot of more invasive handling (like checking ears, paws, etc.), including handing him to strangers to interact with him. He's very stranger-averse now and has major problems with the vet; I wonder if that could have been avoided with more foresight.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
He's really good about invasive touching oddly enough. Ears, paws, belly, mouth, etc are all okay for him. It's just removing the collar or picking him up that gets him riled up sometimes.

We definitely plan to socialize him with friends and family pretty quickly. (Also the vet who he'll meet for the first time tomorrow afternoon) We'd like new people to be a happy experience for him and from my understanding the best way to do that is to start early.

The same with having him with dogs but I'm not sure if that's a right away thing or like a month or two later thing. I think it's at least dependant on getting up to a certain age for some of shots he can't get yet and such.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

bamhand posted:

This might be a dumb question but is there a way to avoid having my dog get tangled in his leash? He's got long legs so he's constantly stepping over it when there's any slack and ends up with the leash going between his two front legs. Or is this just a fact of life with how leashes work?

We do have a retractable leash but the regular ones are more convenient if we're not going for a long walk.

Try holding the leash in your hand in front of your chest so you can easily move it upwards a little if it seems like your dog is getting tangled. It's a good position to hold it for the puppy to learn how far they can go before the leash gets tight.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

wilderthanmild posted:

He's really good about invasive touching oddly enough. Ears, paws, belly, mouth, etc are all okay for him. It's just removing the collar or picking him up that gets him riled up sometimes.

We definitely plan to socialize him with friends and family pretty quickly. (Also the vet who he'll meet for the first time tomorrow afternoon) We'd like new people to be a happy experience for him and from my understanding the best way to do that is to start early.

The same with having him with dogs but I'm not sure if that's a right away thing or like a month or two later thing. I think it's at least dependant on getting up to a certain age for some of shots he can't get yet and such.

Wait till he’s mostly vaccinated before bringing him to a dog park/puppy kindergarten etc where he’ll be around a bunch of other dogs. I’d recommend puppy kindergarten over a dog park at this point. A single bad experience at a dog park for a pup who isn’t ready for it can take a long time to get past. It’s easier to monitor behavior and safety in a classroom and you’ll get some training tips too. Most usually require proof of vaccination and have a minimum age limit. Your vet should be able to suggest some good local classes if you’re interested.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bamhand posted:

Harness or collar? My dogs tangle less with the harness, but also they figured out how to step over the leash after a few months.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Mainly with the collar. He has a Kong harness that gets less tangled but still happens. He'll step over the leash sometimes and other times just ignores it and keeps going. I can't tell if he's stepping over it on purpose or if it's happening just by chance. He also loves to stops sniff constantly so the leash ends up going slack a whole lot.

e: Photo tax:

He is both very tall and not very smart.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 29, 2019

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Dog issues aside, that cat looks cool as hell. I thought it was a photoshopped tiger.

I'm trying to keep my puppy from chewing on and destroying things. It's amazing how effective just shoving a bone in his mouth is sometimes.

On the other hand there is about an hour or two each night when he turns into a demon pup. Just starts trying to destroy everything, gets nippy/growly during physical interaction, forgets the potty training he's doing so good at the other 23 hours of the day. It sucks because it feels like I can't even work through it with him because he can't even focus on anything good or bad.

He did go soundly asleep once calmed down and in his crate though. I read a few places that make it sound like many puppies have these kinda tantrums and usually crating them for a short while helps them calm down. I was worried if I did this while he was crazy he would just go crazy and hurt himself in the crate or see it as a punishment. However how quickly he calmed down once in there last night has me optimistic that I can try a short time in his crate as way to diffuse him in the future.

That "tantrum" aside he had a really good day yesterday. He even slept calmly in his crate all night other than us letting him out to potty a couple times.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

A lot of times, just like human children, dogs will get fussy at bed time/when they are tired, our 2yo pup was about 6 months when we got him and he would do similar things back then.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

A lot of times, just like human children, dogs will get fussy at bed time/when they are tired, our 2yo pup was about 6 months when we got him and he would do similar things back then.

Definitely agree. My dog did this at it was a sign that he was tired and needed to go to bed. He eventually figured this out on his own, but now I'm wondering if it'd've helped if I'd set a consistent bedtime for him that dictated when he got crated for the night?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Definitely agree. My dog did this at it was a sign that he was tired and needed to go to bed. He eventually figured this out on his own, but now I'm wondering if it'd've helped if I'd set a consistent bedtime for him that dictated when he got crated for the night?

Yes, it would.

I had a somewhat rigid schedule during the week of when I'd go to bed, but on the weekends I'd stay up later and it there was definitely a difference in him.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

We set up a very strict schedule with my dog when we got him (~2mo). He was in the crate by 10pm every night, no exceptions, and we left the room the crate was in. Potty breaks over the course of the night were on a schedule, too.
Worked really well, and now he's out of the crate and will start to doze on his bed around 10, then goes to sleep without much of a fuss by midnight.
Of course he's still young, so he'll whine and complain for no reason sometimes when he's sleepy, but if we take his toys away and turn off the light he'll KO in seconds.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So tomorrow we're getting a cold snap and it's gonna be sub 0 for most of the day. We might try to take him out to pee during the not as cold part, but are thinking we might just put down pee pads because it's dangerously cold. How bad will a day or two of this set back house training?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I guess that would depend on how far/long you need walk outside before getting to a pee spot. I wouldn't think it would be too bad to go outside just to pee even in sub 0 temps for a couple of minutes.

I don't have to deal with dangerously cold weather so I might be wrong.

2/3 of my dogs are huge weather weenies about storms so I just offer them more chances to go pee on those days and I might kennel them if I have to leave. It might not be reinforcing your pee schedule but it does reinforce peeing outside. They also weren't puppies when I got them but 2/3 weren't housebroken.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Maybe get some boots to protect the dog's feet, and a coat if it's a small dog, but otherwise you should be fine I think.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Honestly you can't be out for too long even with boots+sweater on a dog, 5-10 minutes max, if there is snow and you have no boots or he won't wear them (my loving dog!!) even less time.

This also depends on the dog, my dog has shorter hair, his ears and nose would definitely have a problem and shortly after the rest of him would.

Also, wind is a factor, we're getting windchill in the -40 through -50 tomorrow with temps being around -16 before that, so it's pretty loving cold; I am assuming you are in a similar boat.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 30, 2019

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we're about 10 degrees warmer at the coldest part, which is tomorrow at 11 am. At one point our forecast was even worse with one day having a high of -6, but it got better. Wind-chill factor is pretty similar. He's pretty shaggy so at least there is that. We aren't taking him a full walks anyway yet. Mostly I plan to take him out for as long as it takes to do his business and no longer. If he can't do it in a minute or two, inside we go. If he's not doing it in that time, potty pads it is and we'll have to get him back on track after that.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Hi PI. Before I ask the question, is this the right place to ask about...I guess psychology and how dog ownership affects relationships? I'm looking for a place to find some insight on what is happening, but if there's a better place I can ask there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tom Gorman posted:

Hi PI. Before I ask the question, is this the right place to ask about...I guess psychology and how dog ownership affects relationships? I'm looking for a place to find some insight on what is happening, but if there's a better place I can ask there.

:justpost:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tom Gorman posted:

Goons are historically bastions of good relationship insight. I'll go ahead and give you a hot tip: if the dog is a husky, shoot it into the sun or at least low Earth orbit.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
We’re pretty chill here in this, the deadest and gayest forum. :justpost:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Two of my dogs have been farting more recently. Not stinky farts but I've definitely heard them fart then they look shocked and confused at their own butts. It's hilarious.

I suspect it may be because of some new treats I got them but it may also have just been abnormally quiet in my house at the time I noticed. Either way, a couple of toots aren't something I'm worried about. I will keep laughing at them though.

On another note, I want to start jogging with my dog or two of my dogs. I've done really short jogs with my first dog before, when it was just her, and it worked but she seemed really worried about it. The second dog has one bad eye, which I think contributes to her walking like a drunken bumblebee on the leash. We've been working on it and she's getting much better on the leash, I'm just not sure if she's not going to trip me if we try a jog. We can do a nice brisk walk though so I'm hopeful.

I'm thinking the next couple of days/weeks we'll do one lap around the block at a walk so they can sniff everything, then one at a brisk walk, then one at a jog. If that doesn't work then I can try dumping the one-eyed drunken bumblebee back at home and just jogging with the hound.

Of course, all of this will fall apart when the third dog/muppet finishes his heartworm treatment in March. I'll have to go back to some sort of rotation. I haven't been able to walk all three together yet but I can walk the hound and the bumblebee or the hound and the muppet so I'll figure something out.

I don't know if an eventual goal of jogging with 3 dogs will ever be feasible.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My wife:
"I taught the Beag to open the cabinet to the trash can and pull it out!"

Also my wife:
"Why is there garbage everywhere?!"

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Okay

My girlfriend and I have been together for years, and we've had our dog, Sunny, for almost as long. We live together. I've never owned a dog until now so at the time it was pretty new to me. Sunny is a terrier mix, according to our vet. We're not sure about the breed specifics. She wasn't quite a puppy when we got her, but wasn't quite a grown up. She's good around dogs and people in general, and is a sweet dog.

The issue is that she pushes me away from my girlfriend in a literal sense, and I don't agree with how my girlfriend responds to this behavior. My girlfriend treats her like a baby, literally. Admittedly I didn't know much about dog ownership prior to getting her, but I did my research and tried to learn as much as I could. But she praises Sunny for any kind of behavior, good or bad. I wanted to do proper training in the beginning, but she thinks that's a mean thing to put a dog through, and that lead to more than a few arguments. She'll tell me that because I've never owned a dog before that I don't know what I'm doing, and she's had dogs her whole life.

So now I've got an older dog that seems to hate me, and I don't know why. I take her for walks and try to play, but she doesn't want to with me. The issue is that it's a big deal in our relationship now. If I want to sit on the couch and watch a movie with my girlfriend, Sunny will jump up, get between us, and start kicking me. Pushing me away from her and getting defensive. If I say something to reprimand Sunny in an appropriate way my girlfriend will say I'm being mean and it starts an argument. Same thing in bed, if I just want to lie down and cuddle with my girlfriend, she'll get up on the bed and start kicking me with her back legs. My girlfriend lets this happen and doesn't do anything about it, and if I do something it starts an argument. Because I'm being mean to the baby. She does the babytalk thing to Sunny basically all the time.

It's led to a situation where the opportunities I have to spend time with my girlfriend, Sunny is kicking me and pushing me away from interacting with her.

Sunny tears up my pillows and hides her toys and chews in my pillowcase. Only mine. My girlfriend falls asleep before me and every night when I go to bed Sunny is in my spot, and it's a struggle to get her out so I can lie down.

It's at the point where I think that even after all these years I don't think the relationship is going to work out. Is there anything I can do?

Obviously "talk to your girlfriend about it and have an adult discussion" is the simple answer, but after doing that a few dozen times I don't think that's going to work. Sunny is still "the baby".

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 31, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tom Gorman posted:

Okay

My girlfriend and I have been together for years, and we've had our dog, Sunny, for almost as long. We live together. I've never owned a dog until now so at the time it was pretty new to me. Sunny is a terrier mix, according to our vet. We're not sure about the breed specifics. She wasn't quite a puppy when we got her, but wasn't quite a grown up. She's good around dogs and people in general, and is a sweet dog.

The issue is that she pushes me away from my girlfriend in a literal sense, and I don't agree with how my girlfriend responds to this behavior. My girlfriend treats her like a baby, literally. Admittedly I didn't know much about dog ownership prior to getting her, but I did my research and tried to learn as much as I could. But she praises Sunny for any kind of behavior, good or bad. I wanted to do proper training in the beginning, but she thinks that's a mean thing to put a dog through, and that lead to more than a few arguments. She'll tell me that because I've never owned a dog before that I don't know what I'm doing, and she's had dogs her whole life.

So now I've got an older dog that seems to hate me, and I don't know why. I take her for walks and try to play, but she doesn't want to with me. The issue is that it's a big deal in our relationship now. If I want to sit on the couch and watch a movie with my girlfriend, Sunny will jump up, get between us, and start kicking me. Pushing me away from her and getting defensive. If I say something to reprimand Sunny in an appropriate way my girlfriend will say I'm being mean and it starts an argument. Same thing in bed, if I just want to lie down and cuddle with my girlfriend, she'll get up on the bed and start kicking me with her back legs. My girlfriend lets this happen and doesn't do anything about it, and if I do something it starts an argument. Because I'm being mean to the baby. She does the babytalk thing to Sunny basically all the time.

It's led to a situation where the opportunities I have to spend time with my girlfriend, Sunny is kicking me and pushing me away from interacting with her.

Sunny tears up my pillows and hides her toys and chews in my pillowcase. Only mine. My girlfriend falls asleep before me and every night when I go to bed Sunny is in my spot, and it's a struggle to get her out so I can lie down.

It's at the point where I think that even after all these years I don't think the relationship is going to work out. Is there anything I can do?

Obviously "talk to your girlfriend about it and have an adult discussion" is the simple answer, but after doing that a few dozen times I don't think that's going to work. Sunny is still "the baby".

Yeah that sucks. Without your girlfriend’s buy-in on training the dog properly you’re never going to get anywhere. She’s reinforcing the dog’s opinion of you as being completely inconsequential, so unless your girlfriend starts changing the conversation with Sunny it’s not going to get better.

Have you considered bringing a trainer in? Maybe your girlfriend needs a professional to come in and say, “hey your dog’s an rear end in a top hat because you refuse to set boundaries”.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Seconding the outside trainer. Hopefully an outside source might convince her to change her views.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You could get another dog and make it your bff

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Poor puppy turned out to have worms. Butt and gut worms that is. Vet says it's completely treatable and he should be okay. I'm happy we ran his fecal before his first vet appointment today (earlier this week had to get rescheduled) because we can get right on getting rid of em.

I think our trainer is gonna delay his first classes though, since it was contingent on a clean fecal test. I get why and it makes sense, but I was looking forward to getting him in classes early as possible.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You could get another dog and make it your bff

I like this answer.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The new dog bff is best answer. Make it a breed super loyal to one owner. Best idea is to also start a race to who can go to bed earlier so that their respective dogs can take the other so's place.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I've had cats my whole life until we got Sunny, and they've all been maine coons. I've had some huge-rear end cats. Maybe I should bring a massive beast in the house to teach Sunny some respect.

But seriously yeah, I think it's time to just bring in a trainer, intervention style. And if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Maybe your girlfriend needs a professional to come in and say, “hey your dog’s an rear end in a top hat because you refuse to set boundaries”.

I think this is right. I needed some validation because I knew I'm not the one that's handling things wrong here. I just don't like more arguments and making life even more of a pain in the rear end if I can help it. I tried to do this at the very beginning but she wasn't on board. Just gotta do it because you're right, it won't get better on it's own.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The other day I watched my fatass, 13 year old orange cat lazily hiss and barely raise his paw at my lovely little terrier mix and she cowered at that. It was really dumb and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I never had a dog as a kid and I have no idea what makes people who did think they know everything ever about dogs. Especially since they were kids and if their dog didn't suck, it was probably their parents that made that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Puppy has suddenly decided to go back to freaking out constantly in his crate. I thought we were past this. Occasionally he'd let out a little crying right after he went in but other than that since Sunday or so he'd been quiet each night. Tonight though he's just going nuts. I tried taking him out for a bathroom break, he peed but not much. He's even howling. I don't get it. He had as much activity as the previous days it seemed. Maybe his butt worm Medicine is waking him up or making him want to be more active? Maybe he's just decided he can cry his way out of the crate? My wife is convinced he needs to poop and is just standing outside with him hoping he lets one go.

I don't know, but drat is this frustrating.

He was even good in there earlier today. It's tonight he's not having it. Oh well, one day/night at a time.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 1, 2019