Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I admit, my real world morals get real shaky when I'm watching some movie where a raccoon and a tree have to try and save the universe but they're being held prisoner on a spaceship by murderous cannibal pirates or something.

Kudos to you if you hold your principles THAT firm, though. And its definitely a hosed up scene so like, I totally get if its too much for some people. That's totally fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I’m not hating. Sincerely. You feel the way you feel about stuff. Sometimes you can be persuaded to feel differently, but somethings just stick with you in a bad way, and that’s okay.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Yondu with his bullshit whistle arrow was part of the army fighting Thanos they wouldn't have lost

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

You know that scene in The Patriot when Mel Gibson is continually hacking away at that British soldier with his tomahawk? That's basically the Yondu slaughter scene, except GotG depicts that kind of scenario in upbeat fashion.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

David Ayer make good movies again
People keep talking about the Snyder Cut for JL, but I really want to see Ayer's original cut of Sabotage

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

teagone posted:

You know that scene in The Patriot when Mel Gibson is continually hacking away at that British soldier with his tomahawk? That's basically the Yondu slaughter scene, except GotG depicts that kind of scenario in upbeat fashion.

I see your point but I also think like "they're presented different" is glossed over a bit. Like the arrow is brutal in its own callous way but Mel Gibson hacking away is brutal in a totally different way.

But again, I totally understand why the GotG presentation doesn't sit well with some.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gorn Myson posted:

People keep talking about the Snyder Cut for JL, but I really want to see Ayer's original cut of Sabotage

I'd love to see Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad, like, it's a fun and awesome movie despite being butchered, however it'd be nice to see the proper version, Steppenwolf or no.

And I dunno, I'm pretty apprehensive about Gunn doing the #skwad, a huge part of the appeal of Ayer's film is how sincere it all is, while Gunn seems like he should have died from irony poisoning in the 90s.
But maybe he'll get Batista as Bane or Grundy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glad I'm not alone in being uncomfortable with some of the action sequences in GotG Vol. 2. That movie was massively disappointing for a number of reasons. There was also the horrible characterization of Mantis.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sucrose posted:

The only thing that interests me about either of those movies are the directors. Batman in particular seems to have been re-trod so many times. What new thing is Matt Reeves going to bring to the table on it? But he’s a good director so we’ll see.

He already said he wants to make a noir-ish detective movie with multiple Bat-villains. I don't think the other movie have done that.

By the way, Amazon has assembled a very loaded voice cast for their animated Invincible adaptation.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/steven-yeun-sandra-oh-mark-hamill-voice-cast-robert-kirkmans-invincible-1181587

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McCloud posted:

It's a feast for the eyes but little else imo.

A film that's good to look at? *spits in disgust*

CelticPredator posted:

I have faith one movie he’ll do will be good. Heck Sam Worthington was p good in Sabotage. I think. It’s been years since I’ve watched it.

David Ayer make good movies again

Shia Aboof is loving great in Fury too.

I said come in! posted:

Glad I'm not alone in being uncomfortable with some of the action sequences in GotG Vol. 2. That movie was massively disappointing for a number of reasons. There was also the horrible characterization of Mantis.

I think it's what happens when a director with a vision crashes into the need to make a film that everyone and their grandma will see. It's a consistent problem for Marvel. You can see it in their Punisher show as well, which is generally good, but anytime it tries to have a message or have a bold event, it ends up watered down or jumbled.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just saw Glass and it really went all in on the "genius planned everything" trope. Kinda satisfying to see the absolutely level-headed villain scream in anguish when the plan was found out.

I also laughed when Glass literally said that David "is only using 1% of his power".

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

RatHat posted:

If Yondu with his bullshit whistle arrow was part of the army fighting Thanos they wouldn't have lost

Thanos would have caught the arrow and broken it or something bud

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ammanas posted:

Thanos would have caught the arrow and broken it or something bud

Yondu would have used the arrow to shoot Star Lord so he didn't gently caress up the attempt to get the gauntlet off Thanos.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yondu would have used the arrow to shoot Star Lord so he didn't gently caress up the attempt to get the gauntlet off Thanos.

Yeah, this. Yondu don't gently caress around.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

A film that's good to look at? *spits in disgust*

You're either being weirdly hyperbolic or just taking the piss, but I'm not quite sure which

STAC Goat posted:

I admit, my real world morals get real shaky when I'm watching some movie where a raccoon and a tree have to try and save the universe but they're being held prisoner on a spaceship by murderous cannibal pirates or something.

Kudos to you if you hold your principles THAT firm, though. And its definitely a hosed up scene so like, I totally get if its too much for some people. That's totally fair.

I think it's more that in that scene it feels kinda gleeful the way they're murdering those space pirates. They're very obviously relishing the murder and it's portrayed as equal parts fun, cool and justified, and it's unsettling and dehumanizing to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, they're bad guys though. I get some people don't like watching violent revenge scenes, but it's not like Guardians 2 isn't curbing off of a lot of other films that do the same thing.

It's horrific violence vs cathartic violence. You show the Taser-Face lead Ravengers being pieces of poo poo, and then show them getting what they deserve.

Tarantino does do it the best. And with fun jaunty tunes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmDpEhAp48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_1IMstVzs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alternatively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8iEpkcDJc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tarantino-esque violence is totally appropriate for a Disney Marvel film, I agree.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s appropriate everywhere and for every movie no matter what genre or rating.

Imagine Chef but it turns into the kitchen fight from The Raid 2. Except with Jon Favreau’s Chungus like self doing all the fights.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

wyoming posted:

I'd love to see Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad, like, it's a fun and awesome movie despite being butchered, however it'd be nice to see the proper version, Steppenwolf or no.

And I dunno, I'm pretty apprehensive about Gunn doing the #skwad, a huge part of the appeal of Ayer's film is how sincere it all is, while Gunn seems like he should have died from irony poisoning in the 90s.
But maybe he'll get Batista as Bane or Grundy.

I'd probably take Ayer's Suicide Squad cut over the Snyder JL cut, seeing as the latter's part one of three so you're stuck in the land of what-could-have-been either way, and Suicide Squad is so nearly there..

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yondu is no django or beatrice, he's just as much a piece of poo poo pirate as the people he's killing but because he's a protagonist i'm supposed to be glad when he kills people and sad when he dies instead of vice versa

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was glad when he killed people and sad he died, so it worked fine for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was put off by his constant use of the word 'daddy'

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I was sad when he died because he was the best character in the movies after ronan

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

I was glad when he killed people and sad he died, so it worked fine for me.
Yeah. The whole movie is daddy issues in a 2 hour runtime. You're supposed to feel conflicted about him. He's a piece of crap that did something halfway nice once in possibly the worst way and he was shunned.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. The whole movie is daddy issues in a 2 hour runtime. You're supposed to feel conflicted about him. He's a piece of crap that did something halfway nice once in possibly the worst way and he was shunned.

My main issue with his arc in the second movie is that it only works if you ignore the first film. He is a heroic character by the end of the movie, sacrificing his men to protect Nova Prime, single-handidly taking out an entire platoon of Ronan’s men; he’s not even mad about the stone swap at the end. Our last shot of him is laughing in good-nature. But all of that gets kind of scrubbed and reset for the sequel. Maybe if he was a bigger semi-antagonist in the first time his turn would have had more impact, I don’t know. I never felt “surprised” by it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Latest superhero movie trailer is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SA7FaKxZVI

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I love how batshit insane the F&F movies have become.

Remember when they used to just street race and steal DVD players?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love that they’re not even trying to pretend they’re not super human.

The F&F movies are the best super hero movies ever and MCU/DCEU wish they were 10% as good as the weakest F&F films.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Still waiting for my Fantastic 4urious crossover.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fart City posted:

My main issue with his arc in the second movie is that it only works if you ignore the first film. He is a heroic character by the end of the movie, sacrificing his men to protect Nova Prime, single-handidly taking out an entire platoon of Ronan’s men; he’s not even mad about the stone swap at the end. Our last shot of him is laughing in good-nature. But all of that gets kind of scrubbed and reset for the sequel. Maybe if he was a bigger semi-antagonist in the first time his turn would have had more impact, I don’t know. I never felt “surprised” by it.

to me the offness comes in when it feels like quill himself is ignoring the first film. like, he's 100% spot-on when he's all 'not killing and eating me isn't something i'm supposed to thank you about' in 1 but for 2 he's suddenly got all these dadfeels after finding out yondu didn't send quill to his death but merely kept him in child slavery until he was old enough to be able to fight back

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait... the F&F movies literally have super powers now?

I really need to catch up on that franchise. What the hell?

Brother Entropy posted:

to me the offness comes in when it feels like quill himself is ignoring the first film. like, he's 100% spot-on when he's all 'not killing and eating me isn't something i'm supposed to thank you about' in 1 but for 2 he's suddenly got all these dadfeels after finding out yondu didn't send quill to his death but merely kept him in child slavery until he was old enough to be able to fight back

I mean, Quill clearly has daddy issues with Yondu in 1 too. It wasn't as overt as the movie literally about daddy issues but it was there. Pete was always going to forgive Yondu.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 1, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

STAC Goat posted:

The Rock flexes the cast off his broken arm to miraculously heal it in FF7

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

STAC Goat posted:

I really need to catch up on that franchise. What the hell?

Are you familiar with Dungeons & Dragons? You know how, generally half way through a campaign, you can take on a "prestige class"? That is what happened in F&F5.

Watch the F&F films and listen to the Giant Bomb "Film and 40s" companion commentary.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mordiceius posted:

Are you familiar with Dungeons & Dragons? You know how, generally half way through a campaign, you can take on a "prestige class"? That is what happened in F&F5.

Watch the F&F films and listen to the Giant Bomb "Film and 40s" companion commentary.

Sadly those words mean nothing to me.

Either way it definitely feels like I need to do a binge to figure out what the gently caress.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's great that apparently the meanest dudes in the franchise all come from the UK.

RBA Starblade posted:

He had a spare X-Potion. * spinning bowtie *

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Sadly those words mean nothing to me.

Either way it definitely feels like I need to do a binge to figure out what the gently caress.

I haven't actually kept up on the series but from the context it sounds like they are not "literally" super powered in the logic of the film universe. Like they don't explain that Dom has the mutant gene and can telepathically control cars or whatever. They just increasingly do poo poo that is so unbelievable that they are basically super heroes, like the example RBA used.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, they're bad guys though. I get some people don't like watching violent revenge scenes, but it's not like Guardians 2 isn't curbing off of a lot of other films that do the same thing.

It's horrific violence vs cathartic violence. You show the Taser-Face lead Ravengers being pieces of poo poo, and then show them getting what they deserve.

Tarantino does do it the best. And with fun jaunty tunes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmDpEhAp48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_1IMstVzs

You bring up a good point with Tarantinos over the top gratuitous violence. I generally don't feel antipathy in his scenes, but I think it's because Tarantinos characters generally don't show the same amount of glee and joy at murdering. The exception that comes to mind is that scene in Basterds where the big jewish guy beats a "noble" nazi to death with a bat, and that scene is definitely uncomfortable to me.
In addition, both Django and the bride are sympathetic, unlike Yondu and rocket whom I find obnoxious and unlikeable.
Also, Somehow the gotg scene seems more sadistic than even tarantino, which is a feat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guy A. Person posted:

I haven't actually kept up on the series but from the context it sounds like they are not "literally" super powered in the logic of the film universe. Like they don't explain that Dom has the mutant gene and can telepathically control cars or whatever. They just increasingly do poo poo that is so unbelievable that they are basically super heroes, like the example RBA used.

Yeah, but that trailer literally opens with Idris Elba saying he's the next stage of human evolution and punching through steel doors.

Also apparently they keep "saving the world"? Like, what the hell? I really have to see how they got there from "I can't go to jail for robbing these trucks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RBA Starblade posted:

In Guardians 2 when Zoe Saldana rips a gun off a ship and starts firing it at the bad guy lady, it was just directly ripped off from FF7