Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I don't think there will be another shutdown. There's no stomach for it.

Yesterday Sen. McConnell hinted to the vice president that the senate was ready to override a veto if necessary. Which meant either the president could end it on his terms or Congress' terms, and the former is less embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thank you from feds everywhere, and i hope you get paid today? even if they pass something saying so, can it happen before monday? i hope you get your loving money soon, between now and the government shutting down again in 3 weeks (edit: or hopefully the above. maybe we as a nation will play the declaration of emergency game instead)

and if it worked once...

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 25, 2019

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
In the AI thread I just defended the position that the goings-on today were in fact :siren:SHUTDOWN:siren:-related because OIS listed "staffing" as the reason for the LGA ground stop and the ZDC flow and one other program. But I just realized that I'm just a pilot that checks OIS, so I'd like to be corrected with more detail if necessary. What say the ATC thread?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
IMO it's more than a coincidence that a major airport issues a ground stop and a few hours later the president is holding a press conference in the rose garden that they've reach and agreement for a continuing resolution (that, AFAIK, is the same as the one he refused at the beginning of the shutdown). He also specifically mentioned TSA and ATC during his speech.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think the symbolic votes yesterday in the senate, where the trump bill got 1 democrat and the democrats' clean CR got 6 republicans, followed by TSA/ATC, the flight attendant unions standing up where the others are legally forbidden to do so, 14,000 IRS people not showing up to work, and whatever else came out this morning, were necessary in combination to get to this point

people will try to minimize the role unions/employees acting on their own played but political games are also real and important, sadly

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

vessbot posted:

In the AI thread I just defended the position that the goings-on today were in fact :siren:SHUTDOWN:siren:-related because OIS listed "staffing" as the reason for the LGA ground stop and the ZDC flow and one other program. But I just realized that I'm just a pilot that checks OIS, so I'd like to be corrected with more detail if necessary. What say the ATC thread?

OIS never says "staffing" is the reason for the GDPs in the NY area, they always say weather/winds. This was 100% shutdown related.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

two_beer_bishes posted:

OIS never says "staffing" is the reason for the GDPs in the NY area, they always say weather/winds. This was 100% shutdown related.

OIS definitely said Staffing this morning. ZDC had no peeps available to work it, and we're still feeling the effects today as people banged out on the night shifts.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

TangoFox posted:

OIS definitely said Staffing this morning. ZDC had no peeps available to work it, and we're still feeling the effects today as people banged out on the night shifts.

He's saying "never" is the baseline and comparing today's events to that baseline, to agree with you.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

TangoFox posted:

Yep, as vessbot said, I agree with you. For them to put that down as the reason this time was certainly telling.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
We have this new first time sup that recently got here from Atlanta and I've been trying to explain to him how insane this place gets. He watched about 20 minutes of a botched up ski country/DEN push and is about to lose it. I don't think he makes it through the summer without snapping.

Poor guy is trying to implement some change that's much needed too and has no idea how much resistance he's going to get. I told him good luck.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I like how the union sent out an email telling excepted workers that have been working without pay the during the shutdown to be nice to returning furloughed employees.
"They weren't on vacation."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I like that too. I wanted to be at work.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I always thought a "wheels up time" was just slang for EDCT, but one time they said "your EDCT is XXXX, call us in an hour for a wheels up." What's the difference?

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

vessbot posted:

I always thought a "wheels up time" was just slang for EDCT, but one time they said "your EDCT is XXXX, call us in an hour for a wheels up." What's the difference?
You were right that wheels up and EDCT are generally interchangeable. In the case where an EDCT is a long ways away, you cansay something like that so that you can coordinate getting the aircraft to the runway on time. So let's say it's 1245, and the EDCT is for 1430. "UAL187, your EDCT is 1430. Contact ground at 1400 for wheels up". Then at 1400 he calls and you get him taxiied out to the holding pad so he can hit the road on time. The reason you don't taxi him out straight away is that, the further from the present time the EDCT is, the more likely it is to be revised, so it's not worth having him wait out on the pad only to have to come back to the gate because of the 3 hour rule when their EDCT gets pushed back.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Gotcha, so it's equivalent to saying "call to ensure your EDCT is not revised..."

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

vessbot posted:

Gotcha, so it's equivalent to saying "call to ensure your EDCT is not revised..."
Essentially yeah, just keeping everyone informed. EDCTs are a huge pain in the rear end for all involved, because they're issued centrally and at least partially algorithmically, which makes them very difficult to understand and predict.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JohnClark posted:

...which makes them very difficult to understand and predict.

TMU least of all.

Content: Had a departure controller try to make a manual handoff on a Southwest 737 that the tower had managed to not depart before the flight plan timed out. Neither he nor I had strips, and he didn’t know where the airplane was filed to, just that it had my gate on his datablock.

Was I wrong to (nicely) tell him to pound sand until he had at least a LITTLE more info before I took it? (Like a destination, at least.)

Discuss below.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
well you're doing better than the Seattle TRACON guy who cleared a bizjet for an ILS which was notam'd out of service, then handed him over to tower

tower was a little surprised by that one. apparently the glideslope was "a little weird"

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

its all nice on rice posted:

Welp, my coworker was told that we don't deserve to be paid while she was handing out "end the shutdown" NATCA stuff at Seatac the other day.

Just saw this but I totally kept telling those guys hey I support you, ALPA supports you. They were pretty much 100% coverage it seemed like...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was having a discussion with my former instructor, who was helping me review IFR procedures in the sim today, and I could use controllers' input.

If I've received and accepted a clearance to my destination airport, and you clear me direct to a waypoint on the route I've been cleared, my understanding is that, upon reaching that waypoint, I proceed along the rest of the route. He said that, unless the clearance direct to a waypoint included "then as cleared" or "balance of route remains unchanged" that it would be proper to enter a hold at that waypoint. That doesn't make sense to me, because in the absence of an expected further clearance time, what would happen in the event of a comms failure? At the same time, I can see his argument that, technically, being cleared direct to a fix changes the previous clearance and thus you can't proceed beyond without further clearance.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Guys, what’s the worst that could happen for cursing over a busy approach frequency? I dropped an F bomb over the local approach last night. No phone numbers were given and no one called my military command this morning. Just wondering.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

I was having a discussion with my former instructor, who was helping me review IFR procedures in the sim today, and I could use controllers' input.

If I've received and accepted a clearance to my destination airport, and you clear me direct to a waypoint on the route I've been cleared, my understanding is that, upon reaching that waypoint, I proceed along the rest of the route. He said that, unless the clearance direct to a waypoint included "then as cleared" or "balance of route remains unchanged" that it would be proper to enter a hold at that waypoint. That doesn't make sense to me, because in the absence of an expected further clearance time, what would happen in the event of a comms failure? At the same time, I can see his argument that, technically, being cleared direct to a fix changes the previous clearance and thus you can't proceed beyond without further clearance.

“Cleared to LAL” and “cleared direct LAL” are different clearances. Since I don’t issue many clearance limits, if I mean it as a clearance limit, I’m going to use “cleared to the LAL VORTAC via direct.”

I’m sure someone with the patience to pour through the 7110.65 will be along shortly with the fine print, but that’s the gist of it. It’s an odd oversight in phraseology from a document that changes way-clearer things seemingly for shits and giggles.

(I’m looking at you, “when able proceed-direct” instead of “cleared-direct.”)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

“Cleared to LAL” and “cleared direct LAL” are different clearances. Since I don’t issue many clearance limits, if I mean it as a clearance limit, I’m going to use “cleared to the LAL VORTAC via direct.”

I’m sure someone with the patience to pour through the 7110.65 will be along shortly with the fine print, but that’s the gist of it. It’s an odd oversight in phraseology from a document that changes way-clearer things seemingly for shits and giggles.

Yeah, I was thinking "proceed direct BUTTS" is the proper phraseology rather than "cleared direct BUTTS," but in general use, I'm guessing the distinction is "cleared to X via [route]" (which would be a clearance limit) rather than "cleared direct X" (which would be an instruction to go direct to X and then proceed via the previously assigned route).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Yeah, if I'm intending something as a clearance limit I'm going to do my best to let you know that. Probably through the "via direct" phraseology with some "expect to hold" or actual holding instructions thrown in there.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I was thinking "proceed direct BUTTS" is the proper phraseology rather than "cleared direct BUTTS," but in general use, I'm guessing the distinction is "cleared to X via [route]" (which would be a clearance limit) rather than "cleared direct X" (which would be an instruction to go direct to X and then proceed via the previously assigned route).

100%

Bob A Feet posted:

Guys, what’s the worst that could happen for cursing over a busy approach frequency? I dropped an F bomb over the local approach last night. No phone numbers were given and no one called my military command this morning. Just wondering.

You'll be fine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Surely a USMC aircraft not dropping f-bombs is a potential sign of distress?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't know if I ever had anything like that go out over the air (probably did though) but I definitely cursed on recorded lines numerous times when another controller punched into my ear on an override landline while I was in the middle of a raunchy story.

"So I had her ankles up by my ears while I was *boop* fucki-DEEEEPARTURE NORTH! Go ahead!"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Who am I kidding I was probably talking about flight sims or Counterstrike

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ve got some good stories... usually I’m in control and it happens to other guys. Most of them involve saying a controller sounds hot but over that controllers freq instead of on our inter flight freq. We have radio switches on our cyclic as well as a switch near our pedals... my boot got caught on the pedal switch. Our radio selector also requires a look down. Great ergonomics.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I broadcast a bad word once. I was trying to ship a guy and he wasn't replying. After the third time I said "mother fucker". I heard this in my ear. "Did that go out? I'm hot!" all transmitted.

In a panic trying to figure out why the hell my mic is stuck I have the D-side trainer take over while I switch out my headset. She doesn't have any problems and I plug in and my mic is still randomly getting stuck.

The guy at the next sector was sprawled out and inadvertently had his foot on my pedal... I kick that thing way the gently caress under the console now. This is also why you run with the side tone all the way up.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

We have radio switches on our cyclic as well as a switch near our pedals...

:wtf: that sounds almost as bad as different version Bonanzas that have the gear and flap knob positions reversed.... and one of them they're just 2 of a whole row of "piano keys." (What could go wrong?)

Stuck mike stories, on my fist lesson as an instructor I got a stuck mike on accepting the takeoff clearance and gave the whole lesson on tower, on a busy Sunday.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

vessbot posted:

:wtf: that sounds almost as bad as different version Bonanzas that have the gear and flap knob positions reversed.... and one of them they're just 2 of a whole row of "piano keys." (What could go wrong?)

Stuck mike stories, on my fist lesson as an instructor I got a stuck mike on accepting the takeoff clearance and gave the whole lesson on tower, on a busy Sunday.

To be fair, at least one person on frequency probably needed a refresher.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

vessbot posted:

It’s not bad. It’s the same design most helicopters have— on the cyclic for the pilot flying, and on the floor for the pilot not flying (so he isn’t riding the controls to talk on the radio)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I know of at least 2 pilots and 1 controller who have dropped an F-bomb on the radio and as far as I know nothing has ever come from it aside from a funny story.

1. My college roommate and I were doing our solo cross counties to the same airport only a few minutes apart. While trying to listen to FSS over a VOR he didn't have the nav volume turned up so FSS could hear him but he couldn't hear them. When he heard me call up FSS he told me what was happening and said "I don't know what the gently caress is going on." FSS was not happy but as far as I know nothing ever happened.

2. A laguardia approach controller with a stuck mic was trying to fix it and referred to what I can only imagine was his PTT as a "loving piece of junk."

3. While attempt to simultaneously talk to tower and complete our landing checklist my FO never let go of the PTT . After informing EWR tower that our EICAS was checked and our flaps were set to 5 he dropped an "oh gently caress" at roughly the same time as he released the PTT. Tower just told us to check for a stuck mic and nothing ever happened.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As a controller, I don't care what you do on frequency, as long as you're not tying it up. Even a quick "Hey Steve go to fingers" isn't bad as long as Im not poo poo-hammered-busy. Say gently caress, I don't care. I guarantee I'm unkeying and making fun of the woman flying the CRJ who's voice seems like it belongs to an oompa loompa, or the retired surgeon flying his AeroCommander home from his ski vacation who sounds like he's three steps from the loving grave.

Way more annoying is when I'm busy and some rear end in a top hat going to Atlanta checks on "Uhhhh center, this is 1234, we're ummm... A little heavy for thirty one today, was wondering if we could get twenty nine, oh, and uhhhhhhh the tops here are about seventeen, ummmmmm hows the ride been? It was a little bumpy on the way down, and we're ahhhhhh, we're just looking for smooth rides."

:commissar:

For us, getting caught putting an obscenity on a recorded line (transmitted or not, and it's quite a bit more common to oops on an internal ground-to-ground line,) even accidentally, is a no-no, but it's up to the manager to pursue it or not.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Even a quick "Hey Steve go to fingers" isn't bad as long as Im not poo poo-hammered-busy.

So, I know this means go to frequency 123.45, but you are only the second person I've heard use the phrase and the other was a HUGE dork that I worked with and we all gave him crap for it.

To be fair, he was talking about asking a woman pilot on frequency if she knew about "the fingers" and we just loving died at his lack of both smoothness, and self awareness.

(And he never did give her the fingers)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there an official reason why most of the centers are in BFE 30+ minutes from the respective city they're named after?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Is there an official reason why most of the centers are in BFE 30+ minutes from the respective city they're named after?

They were almost all planned and built in the depths of the Cold War bomber gap. They were put out in the sticks so that the nuke(s) targeting them wouldn’t wipe out the city, or so that a nuke targeted on the city center wouldn’t damage the ARTCC. Which of those scenarios you should believe is accurate depends on your individual level of cynicism over the prospects of the Soviets launching a counter-force strike in the early 60s.

Quite a few of the centers that aren’t in BFE were built in BFE, but the city has encroached since then. ZMA was essentially cow pastures as far as the eye could see, built on a two lane asphalt road that was only paved for construction of the ARTCC. The next stop out of town was the Nike sites, and then alligators.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Quite a few of the centers that aren’t in BFE were built in BFE, but the city has encroached since then. ZMA was essentially cow pastures as far as the eye could see, built on a two lane asphalt road that was only paved for construction of the ARTCC. The next stop out of town was the Nike sites, and then alligators.

This is true for a ton of airports as well. Dulles was in the middle of absolutely nowhere when it was built, in fact the VOR at Dulles ("Armel") is named after the Armel farm, which made up a ton of the property on which the airport now sits. The old guys who had been there forever told me that Mrs. Armel used to monitor the local freq, and when they opened in the morning (it was not a very busy airport for a long time) they would say, "Good morning Mrs. Armel" and she would flick her porch lights on an off in reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Am I reading it correctly that the approach into Las Vegas is “casino city here I come losing gramp’s money”?