Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of 40k communities love to theorise what life is like in the completely ridiculous Imperium, and some canon material also explores that. Mostly from the perspective of the Imperial Guardsmen.

Related:

(an adaption of a comic about the US military branches of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wait, SA has articles? I genuinely thought the main site got shuttered when Lowtax's financial problems got too much to handle.

I know what I'm reading today!

Oh, you haven't read the front page in a few years? Yeah, go catch up and read all the articles. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh, you haven't read the front page in a few years? Yeah, go catch up and read all the articles. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

I tried to go back and watch alot of the old and early Flash Tubs but ug, I really don't want to install Flash for that, and they haven't been converted to Youtube yet. :(

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

I tried to go back and watch alot of the old and early Flash Tubs but ug, I really don't want to install Flash for that, and they haven't been converted to Youtube yet. :(

"Yet" lmao

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wait, SA has articles?

Mods????

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I keep bringing up 40K as an example of genre literature that could very easily speak to bigger terms, and often does, but which isn't pushed to be as meaningful as it could. cyberpunk, really anything dystopia is a goldmine of human psyche and literary exploration but because the audience doesn't demand it, the writers don't produce it.

mieville is exactly the kind of writer i'm talking about. the dude can allude to massively fantastic worlds that are both entertaining and a reflection of real human struggles. there's a throwaway line in one of his books about guns which shoot eggs that hatch into gun-dog monstrosities and even though there was just a paragraph blurb about it that poo poo seized my mind more than it had any need to. mieville rocks because he puts the effort in, he writes to something bigger than himself. salvatore, lovely genre fic writers write to themselves, to the giant elaborate silmarillion they've got cooked up in their own minds and nowhere else.

spend a whole year "worldbuilding" which is just pussyfooting around doing the actual work.

edit- hey buddy, you're not going to own me about my reading habits if you don't bother reading my posts in the first place. you're agreeing with me, you just seem hellbent on not realizing it.

Well, I mean, 40K is really a nonstarter because we all know that 40K is not the type of genre fiction that is going to tell us meaningful stuff about the human condition. (Note: Nerds back the gently caress off, I have Ciaphas Cain novels and Abnett's Titan stuff so I don't wanna hear any poo poo. Let's be honest here with each other, it's strictly entertainment and/or an excuse for me to advocate that stuff be painted red 'cause it makes it faster.) Salvatore same, fuckin TALES OF THE DROW #98 isn't gonna be anything more than it is.

Also, I didn't own you, you owned yourself :) Nah, just kidding. My only point about your HOT TAKE is this: I assumed you were dismissing genre fiction in general as poo poo that sucks, as opposed to literary fiction which is Art. Many fart sniffers down the long years have done / do that, and I don't like it. If you are trying to tell me I am a dumb poo poo because that's what you already said - well, I apologize, maybe I was just in a hurry OKAY??

Bottom line is that Ray Bradbury and Gene Wolfe rule and if you pigeonhole them as genre then you are high on your own supply :)

Also, re: cyberpunk, I would say there are (this is maybe a little tenuous) some cyberpunk novels that rise above the 'genre fiction' label. But I'd be interested in your thought on whether that's true or whether I just enjoy Neuromancer too much. I mean, there are cyberpunk-adjacent AUTHORS that count...Harlan Ellison for one.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm going to address this last post just to make sure i've clarified all I need to then I'm going to drop the derail.

Slippery posted:

Well, I mean, 40K is really a nonstarter because we all know that 40K is not the type of genre fiction that is going to tell us meaningful stuff about the human condition. (Note: Nerds back the gently caress off, I have Ciaphas Cain novels and Abnett's Titan stuff so I don't wanna hear any poo poo. Let's be honest here with each other, it's strictly entertainment and/or an excuse for me to advocate that stuff be painted red 'cause it makes it faster.) Salvatore same, fuckin TALES OF THE DROW #98 isn't gonna be anything more than it is.

My whole thing is, 40K COULD be meaningful, by investing effort in emotionally resonant stories. If you take some shell-shocked veterans and tell them to just, write out the worst of what they endured with orks and spaceships, I think that would be incredibly enlightening and engaging. It's got the emotional distance of being a fantasy story while also an unflinching look at human conflict and its hell. Dark Fantasy Slaughterhouse Five, basically, the difference is that the meaningful work is rooted in human experience rather than an exhaustively described backstory imagined by one dude with no emotional compulsion behind it.
Honestly I think this is one point where the LotR films outpaced the books, by focusing on human(ish) relationships and the strain of the challenge facing them.

Since you brought up Salvatore, I thought that this recent Order Of The Stick comic illustrates my point well, here a previously tiresomely one-note character grapples with the emotional impact of killing his best friend. Who became a vampire and had been working against them for months. Anyway, facing a high-level vampire cleric is exciting enough sounding on paper, but fighting your best friend? That hits home emotionally in a way "vampire cleric" just can't reach.

quote:

I assumed you were dismissing genre fiction in general as poo poo that sucks, as opposed to literary fiction which is Art. Many fart sniffers down the long years have done / do that, and I don't like it. If you are trying to tell me I am a dumb poo poo because that's what you already said - well, I apologize, maybe I was just in a hurry OKAY??

I don't blame you for making that conclusion since that's generally what people are implying when they say what I say, but I'm more tired of genre being used to excuse lackluster work rather than being the cause of it. Popcorn movies don't have to be trash, both Jackie Chan and the Transporter dude go out of their way to make their fights visually engaging and novel, via use of props and nontraditional weapons.
I can't think of a comic analogy for this.

quote:

Bottom line is that Ray Bradbury and Gene Wolfe rule and if you pigeonhole them as genre then you are high on your own supply :)

Also, re: cyberpunk, I would say there are (this is maybe a little tenuous) some cyberpunk novels that rise above the 'genre fiction' label. But I'd be interested in your thought on whether that's true or whether I just enjoy Neuromancer too much. I mean, there are cyberpunk-adjacent AUTHORS that count...Harlan Ellison for one.

There's truth in everything that has truth put into it. Honestly I think Anderson's FEED is one of the best cyberpunk novels in a generation, even if it's not traditionally thought of as cyberpunk, but it takes a harsh look at one possible future where humans are placated by neural network social media. It's honestly a really beautifully written book even if it's extremely, extremely bleak in outlook.

Genre is mostly a marketing label at this point, and I fully expect the idea of genre versus literary fiction to dissolve with the further democratization of publishing. I really should have said "mass market"

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I don't blame you for making that conclusion since that's generally what people are implying when they say what I say, but I'm more tired of genre being used to excuse lackluster work rather than being the cause of it. Popcorn movies don't have to be trash, both Jackie Chan and the Transporter dude go out of their way to make their fights visually engaging and novel, via use of props and nontraditional weapons.
I can't think of a comic analogy for this.

Makes sense. That said I don't think 40K could actually be anything more than it is :) but that's just me being contrary. I mean I guess, what, you could try to pay let's say Toni Morrison to write a novel in that universe, but even she would likely be SOL.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
SFW Oglaf!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

This comic tells us nothing of the human condition, please do not post trash like this

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Krankenstyle posted:

that hard r :[

Yeah, it’s extremely bad. Speaks ill of everyone itt that no one else has objected.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Maybe the artist can use this incredible defense

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe the artist can use this incredible defense

What is this from?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Who What Now posted:

This comic tells us nothing of the human condition, please do not post trash like this

wh40k fan spotted

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Slippery posted:

wh40k fan spotted

:scrunt:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Loucks posted:

Yeah, it’s extremely bad. Speaks ill of everyone itt that no one else has objected.

Some of us didn’t click on it because it was too ugly :shrug: Seems I didn’t miss out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Slimy Hog posted:

What is this from?

A video game streamer said a hard-R n-word on stream and that was their explanation.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A video game streamer said a hard-R n-word on stream and that was their explanation.

sweet, im like 3% north african

JACKPOT

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Slippery posted:

wh40k fan spotted

WAAAAAAAAGH

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

lol

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Who What Now posted:

:(

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

That's awesome. Now, I do think they'd benefit from some like, nuclear cruise missiles, but then again I wondered why Battlemechs didn't sink into the ground too.

Anyway, Orks rule.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I used to be annoyed at the hype around Gaiman, and frankly think a lot of his work is overrated, but as a person, the more I know about him the more I like him. He's almost too kind for his own good. It's conceivable there's some skeletons in his closet, of course.

As usual, I might have spoken too soon. :smith:

https://twitter.com/shallowbrigade/status/1091159186262712320

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Masterclass isn’t a University of Phoenix (not Phoenix University) thing.

It’s an entirely different lovely thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh for gently caress's sake.

https://twitter.com/shallowbrigade/status/1091178639855624192

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

That's kinda hot. :mrgw:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

Masterclass isn’t a University of Phoenix (not Phoenix University) thing.

It’s an entirely different lovely thing.

The tweeter is aware of that and just using it as a figure of speech for for-profit scam schools.

https://twitter.com/shallowbrigade/status/1091174200092618753

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Former DILF posted:

sweet, im like 3% north african

JACKPOT

I have bad news about North Africa

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Phlegmish posted:

I have bad news about North Africa

Oh for real?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Loucks posted:

Just lol if you actually read the comics that get posted itt.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dude was offered drugs from god and turned them down.

Totally deserves the flaming locusts.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
So were you dude. Lick those frogs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Slippery posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0rgZf35KxU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wait, SA has articles? I genuinely thought the main site got shuttered when Lowtax's financial problems got too much to handle.

I know what I'm reading today!

Front page output has slowed to a crawl, but there's usually a new article every few days. I think they should put up a weekly "Best/Worst Posts of the Week", with highlights from the Goldmine/Gas Chamber.

Zack Parsons has done a lot of the heavy front-page lifting for years, imho his Blue Stripe "scifi setting from an everyman perspective" series was one of the all-time best front page features. The Blue Stripe 40,000 Interview Special was a good one - unlike most Blue Stripe, these could be presented as 100% canon without any modification. The only unusual aspect is the concept of allowing such expendable low ranking cannon fodder to ever express their thoughts or feelings, but if you did, this is what they'd be.

edit - my fav line: "When you're planting soybeans one day and a guy with a skull for a head and two chainsaw axes walks out of your barn covered in blood you're going to sign up for whatever he wants." So true.

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Feb 1, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

The tweeter is aware of that and just using it as a figure of speech for for-profit scam schools.

https://twitter.com/shallowbrigade/status/1091174200092618753

Sure, Jan.

Even if so, one of the things about figures of speech that is nice is that other people understand them. Deciding in your own head that the University of Phoenix is named Phoenix University, and then deciding that that means “for-profit education” isn’t a very good figure of speech, because nobody else could possibly understand it.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Feb 1, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i feel like maybe the tweeter isnt very good at words but is trying to draw an equivalency between Uni of P and P Uni? As in, theyre both for-profit? That's just how I read it as a foreigner tho

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

i feel like maybe the tweeter isnt very good at words but is trying to draw an equivalency between Uni of P and P Uni? As in, theyre both for-profit? That's just how I read it as a foreigner tho

There’s no such thing as Phoenix University. Gaiman’s class is being offered through Masterclass.com, which, like University of Phoenix, is a for-profit educational enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I don't understand the hoopla. Masterclass doesn't pretend to be a college, it doesn't offer a degree or certificate or promise career advancement. It's just a way to learn something new from an expert