Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malah
May 18, 2015

DeRosso deserves better than whatever he's about to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Speaking about Mammon, there's a special JP version of her that has a special Elixir steal. I think the only way to get her now is through Streetpass. That Elixir is special because it can be sold for loads of pg, instead of normal Elixir which is sold for a pittance. It's a great way to get rich quick. :homebrew:

The nemesis Eternians are insanely strong. To this day I still haven't beat any of them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh right, I meant to mention that. You can just steal the special Elixir from Mammon (two if you use Rob Blind) and then run away. Rinse repeat.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Dr Subterfuge posted:

...of course the only one that is identifiably female is the one that's basically a normal woman tacked onto some monster hands.

Also God forbid she wear something like armor under that skirt flapping around, or be hideously deformed below the waist like her associates...

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Half of them might as well be girls too (or who knows) with the way they look

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

It's entirely possible that they're all genderless anyway. They're demons.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say i am fully on board for dragon space ufo jelly fish

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 112a: Those who Bravely Fight

The party entered the Dark Aurora in pursuit of Airy, hoping to stop the completion of her master's plan to eat the worlds. After a drawn out battle, Airy was killed by her master, who decided to have a pre-victory celebration by beating up the party in space. The party responded by punching him the nose, when:

In a flash of light, DeRosso appears alongside the four heroes.

Lord DeRosso! What are--

You've opened a crack in the Beast's core--the source of his immortality!

His core?

As long as it exists, he will regenerate without end... I've come now to stop it!

But how?

You will split it open, and I'll fuse together with it, containing it.

We've reached the time for the angel's plan.

I know a tragic-yet-noble sacrifice is right up Vampire Man's alley, but is it really necessary?

Strike with all your might the moment the Beast ceases his regeneration!

But what'll happen to you!?

This role demands an immortal. The sage and I have argued the matter for eighteen hundred tedious years.

How did Yulyana know about this plan if he was clueless about Ouroboros, by the by? Speaking of, the Angel seems pretty informed about Ouroboros. Is our Agnès not the first version to meet this world-eating dragon?

DeRosso, however, is not taking questions at this time. He's resigned to his fate. Actually, he seems pretty stoked about it.

...Right!

Ringabel, I ask your assistance. Contain the Beast while I take possession of it.

Understood.

Tiz, you must protect Agnès.

Tiz nods.

It's not every day you get to speak to your motivating force for the past thousand years, give or take.

Thank you.

Ah, I nearly forgot.

Ah ha! So by saying these words in the infernal realm before merging with an unkillable dragon god, DeRosso apparently transcended time and space to make himself immortal back in the past of all worlds!

D's Journal: Lord DeRosso posted:

Lord DeRosso came to neutralize the core that would revive the Bringer of Ruin Ouroboros over and over for all eternity. He would sacrifice his immortal soul to contain it. After talking with each of us in turn, his voice next reached across time and space to one in another world, saving him from a fiery death but condemning him all the same. His was a hero's end...

...No, really, that's all the explanation we get.

Now then, let us begin!

Hmph. I'm getting sentimental in my old age. The rest is in your hands, sage!

DeRosso leaps into the air...

...to have his big heroic moment.

But if the core makes Ouroboros immortal and we cracked the core, doesn't it stand to reason we could break it altogether?

We were able to damage the core just by ourselves. With Yulyana and DeRosso helping, plus the other 21 Eternian asterisk-users throwing some punches...

Okay, well, too late now.

With DeRosso snugly in place, it's time for next phase of the fight.

This time, Ouroboros can't use Total Regeneration.

You are a formidable meal.

In response, he takes a more offensive tack.

He now has two new moves: Demonic Touch and Celestial Touch.

Demonic Touch reduces BP, but is nullified by Stillness. Celestial Touch buffs himself. Nothing too outstanding.

Once he's halfway down, he realizes this victory battle has gotten out of hand.

His plan was originally to consume the worlds to give him the strength to overtake the Celestial Realm.

But thanks to our strength, he's having to start in on that plan early just to get the party off his back.

After charging up a spell, an energy chain of ouroboroses surrounds him...

Before flying off towards an unassuming version of Luxendarc.

The party sees all this from their asteroid in space because again, the infernal realm apparently transcends time and space.

We can only helplessly watch as the ouroboros saps the planet's energy, tearing it apart...

...before taking the energy back to the dragon.

How can Ouroboros's power destroy a planet so easily yet struggle against our four plucky heroes? Maybe it's best to think of it as a mosquito versus a human versus a whale.

The human can take down a whale, but the human will also struggle to kill the mosquito. And if that mosquito has malaria, it can take down the human.

At least that's the theory I'm gonna go with since Ouroboros's tiny fists have trouble hitting us.

If you have any investment in the world, it's pretty grim: an entire world destroyed within seconds.

This would probably be more effective if the world's occupants hadn't hindered us at nearly every turn.

Or if we'd gotten to spend more time focusing on the fun adventure aspect rather than wasting time in repeated cutscenes.

The alternate Luxendarc's energy is absorbed by Ouroboros.

With a single tentacle, I have devoured one of the worlds that Airy linked to this one!

Ahhh... I am fully restored, as an entire world meets its end! Rrah ha ha ha ha haah!

It is not enough...

He starts up the world-eating ritual again. And once again, we're forced to watch.

So far, everything the party's dealt with has been on a more personal scale.

It's only now, in the final battle itself, we're moving to something involving the destruction of the multiverse.

We were trying to rescue Norende from a hole in the ground, and somehow we happened to end up here traversing space and time.

The party's role in this good ending has been to go along for the ride the whole time, ignoring any doubt about their mission. The masterminds here were the Angel, Yulyana, DeRosso, even Braev. Not us.

The power that courses through me now will see you eradicated forever! Just as two worlds now will never return! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Airy strung together some ten thousand worlds... When will the world you call your own be destroyed?

The longer you defy me, the greater those odds become! Let us test your luck!

Having the heroes save the day because they can punch evil in the face, not because they understand what's going on, isn't uncommon in JRPGs. :sora:

But it sure would've been nice to have the party's adventures make some change -- to the Eternians, to the world, to themselves -- that would've better prepared them for Ouroboros, rather than him just showing up to wreck stuff in the 11th hour.

If the Eternian storylines had dealt more with the main party's evolved interactions over the course of the worlds, or had more of a conclusion than "let's fight forever!", there'd be no issue of wasted time, because it would've been a fun journey, at least. If the Eternian storylines had more to do with Ouroboros, that would've been great, too. But in the end, even Braev was ignorant of Ouroboros's existence and the true extent of his plan. It would've been more entertaining, and it would've provided the investment in the plot that the one-note villain Ouroboros doesn't provide.

Ouroboros's 3rd phase centers around one new attack based off the world destructions we've just witnessed.

It combines a full heal with a heavy damage attack every turn.

Ha ha ha! Another world has been annihilated!

And every time he uses it, he destroys another world.

The damage is blockable with Stillness, and in this case, it's best to just never let Stillness fall.

Heh heh heh, yet another world gone forever. How does it feel to fail, young warriors of light?

You might be wondering how the party deals damage if Stillness is always up. The answer is: they don't have to.

Because this is actually a gimmick battle. The only requirement is lasting three turns -- three casts of Armageddon.

No! Stop!

There is but one way for you to save those worlds. Lay down your weapons and bow before me. Offer yourselves willingly.

Only then shall the remaining worlds be spared. Ha ha ha!

...stop...this...

It's hard not to wonder how much better the game could've been if its back half kept up the pace of its front half.

It could've had everything from small scenes like Artemia delivering a message via arrow to Edea's forehead, rather than being relayed afterwards, or the raid on Starkfort being shown rather than implied, to larger plotlines like the Eternians finding out about Ouroboros.

Instead, the latter half of the game was on constant fast-forward, forgetting that a good story is about the journey at least as much as the destination, and that a good journey helps make the destination worthwhile.

At this point, in a further effort to get the player riled up, Ouroboros begins destroying the worlds of the Miis you've gathered as friends.

It's not working right here because I don't have enough friends.

It's a neat gimmick to use the game's online features to make it more personal, but something about it leaves a bad taste.

Surprise! Hope you don't mind seeing any friends and family you've shared Bravely Default with getting obliterated!

It ends up coming across as a cheap way to get an emotional response, almost as though the developers assumed they'd have to go meta to get an emotional reaction out of the player.

Slay me if you will, but you must stop!

Agnès...

Agnès...

Heh heh heh... Ha ha ha ha ha... Given up at last, eh? Rrrah ha ha ha! Very well, then. I commend you insects to the void!

Suddenly, a familiar voice calls out.

Raise the pendant to the heavens and arise!

What?

No, it is over. The more we resist, the more worlds are destroyed. We can fight no longer!

Know that you are not alone. Know that none of you are alone.

Tiz turns away from the others.

Reach out to your counterparts who dwell beyond this realm! Convey your hopes unto them!

Our hopes...

On yet another world...

Oh god! Not Pal-bot!

On Pal-bot's world, we find a team very much like our own, but with small differences. For example, did they take Grandship into space?

Patience, Tiz. Communication with other worlds or no, this takes time.

But we're being held hostage as leverage against ourselves in another world.

All the more reason we need to keep this world safe!

Agnès's right! Are we ready, Ringabel!?

Luckily, they somehow seem to know exactly what's going on with our party.

They also know exactly how to deal with Ouroboros.

Ready, soldiers!? Let no harm come to the Lady Vestal and her allies!

We leave them to figure that out, moving on to another world...

Where Ouroboros's magic ouroboros is already being assaulted by Grandship's cannonfire.

:rimshot:

Don't worry about me. Agnès?

Ngh! It's recovery is too swift! Are you ready yet, Tiz?

Almost... Just a little longer...

Wait a second. How many versions of the party are still alive? Did Airy use a different vestal to awaken the crystal in some worlds?

How did the party end up together, though, Ringabel included, without Airy?

Why are--!?

Yulyana teleports in.

Did our party just get dumped with the least-helpful versions of everybody?

Sage!

Alright, here goes! Blaze bright!

Anyway, on to the real important thing: Apparently Tiz now has celestial powers, which he announces with a special attack name.

So he can now generate power like a Dragon Ball character!

Then he shoots a space laser kamehameha!

and it destroys the multiverse-devouring god's tentacle! Pyaaaaoooooow!!

Then the world is safe from Ouroboros! Yay~!

By the time we catch up with Amigo-bot's planet, they've already gotten things under control.

...I couldn't have done it without you and Agnès.

And we wouldn't have lasted without Ringabel's aid.

The thanks shouldn't stop here. Don't forget them.

It's not explained exactly what the others are doing to help aside from praying and Agnès's channeling the pendant.

Anyway, Alternis is here too. Which means

Uh.

...Alternis!

The Sky Knights will handle things from here! You four do what you must, quickly!

Understood! Agnès, that's our cue!

Let's go!

Apparently not only did the Alternis to Ringabel switch happen several times, it did so without Airy killing everyone?

Good news, everyone! Friend-bot also successfully staved off world destruction!

This version also has both Ringabel and Alternis, along with an extended cast presumably far, far more competent than anyone we encountered throughout our game.

Agnès, everyone ready?

On your signal, Tiz.

Alright, let's begin.

Listen, everyone! The us from another world are in terrible danger! They're sacrificing their lives to save our world and countless others!

But our world is safe for now, thanks to your efforts!

It's time to raise a cry that will reach their world, where they've laid down their arms to spare us!

Tell them they are free to fight. That our world has been spared!

*nod*

Thank you... Thank you, everyone.

It is time! Share this prayer with me, one and all!

Agnès's prayer lifts up into the heavens...

...and one by one, the other surviving worlds follow suit.

We're going to defeat the main villain of Bravely Default with Thoughts and Prayers.

Unlike acclaimed cult-classic JRPG Earthbound, however, it's just going to be via cutscene, not gameplay. It's not like Bravely Default has an interactive method of having the player pray that could have been cleverly reused here or anything.

Nope, we're just going to passively watch as Agnès's pendant fills with light to defeat--

Defeat...

Wait.

What?

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
All Eternity
Tentacles of Doom

D's Journal: Agnès Oblige posted:

Ouroboros devoured the multitude of worlds that Airy had linked together. As long as we fought, the worlds our friends called home would continue to be eaten away... This strain caused Agnès to lose heart, and she collapsed to her knees. Just then, the pendant began to glow with light, and we heard friendly voices from beyond time and space!

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 112b: Those who Blindly Default

Uh...

Hi?

Pst, say hi, readers! I think the party finally noticed us!

*Ahem*

Hi party, why don't you just go do what you're good at and beat the god of destruction at his own game? Didn't wreck the lives of all those Eternians for nothing, now, did we?

They've left this to us. Let's end this now... For everyone's sake!

Right!!

Agnès prays harder than ever...

Knocking off a chunk of Ouroboros's horn. This time, we're playing for keeps.

With the ability to destroy worlds not working due to the power of prayer, Ouroboros has lost his Armageddon attack, but he's still got his other abilities. He's added a standard damage attack, Disaster, as well as the more interesting Divergence. Divergence takes away a character's ability to do anything except Default or Summon Friend, showing that although Ouroboros's most powerful spells may be too much for one person to handle, it can't overcome the strength of our friendships across the worlds. It's one of the highlights of the final battle, a great way to tie the story and gameplay together (Thanks to TwoPair for the reminder).

Impudent morsels... Still you resist me? You are too late! Behold!

Uh-oh. Turns out the party wasn't the only one to notice us.

Behold, the final gimmick of Bravely Default. The Celestial Realm.

I shall bring chaos and destruction upon the world of the gods!

What a special gimmick it is... Because the Celestial Realm is our realm, sort of. Compared to the world of a video game, the player is a god.

And the 3DS has a camera.

Then I shall make it anew...in my own image! Now, die! Begone, feeble warriors of light!

As you might imagine, getting surprised with your face in the background of the final battle catches a lot of players off guard.

Luckily, as your host on this ridiculous adventure, I was prepared.

Here's how it looks if you keep the camera covered, if for some reason you'd prefer that. But obviously it's much better to see your face in the background so you can maintain your emotional attachment to the game. I mean, how else are you going to care about what's going on? The characters? The plot? :nallears:

Let's take one final look at Ouroboros. The lessons we learned about black vs. white don't apply to him. If Ouroboros were to be painted on Edea's black vs. white scale, Anish Kapoor would sue.

In the end, Bravely Default's posturing about being more complex than your standard black vs. white JRPG have concluded with a bog-standard chaotic evil RPG god-like final boss.

Just for fun, in contrast, let's look the series that's arguably Bravely Default's main influence. Many Final Fantasy villains are more complex than Ouroboros, or at least have more connection with the rest of the story: Cloud's game-long mental battle against himself/Sephiroth/Jenova; the fallout of the empire's abuse of Kefka, Celes, and Terra; how Yuna and Tidus's lives revolve so completely around Sin; even Ardyn's long-awaited rage at Noctis had some depth and made sense with the story even if the execution was lackluster.

After a hail of attacks, Ouroboros the tragically misinformed (the celestial realm "knows no war or strife"??) dragon falters.

And all therein shall know my power...my terror...

Mark...my...words...

Our long, terrible fight is over.

Ouroboros explodes into particles of light.

I guess DeRosso's dead now? Ah, who knows.

What matters is we won the battle. Right? :toot:

After Ouroboros's defeat, the party's thrown back to the Dark Aurora, unconscious, as the place is collapsing.

Luckily the angel isn't done with them yet.

Wait, if the angel is Agnès, what's all this 'Physical manifestations of my being' about?

I thank you for risking life and limb to defeat Ouroboros.

The Celestial Realm, this world, and myriad others owe you a debt. They need never fear the Beast's terror again.

Now it is time to rest your weary souls. Rest until the day you return to those who await you.

Rest? How long? Where?--

In the blink of an eye, the party gets teleported away.

Ending up back at their ship. That sure was completely unexplained.

Hm? I thought for sure I was...

No, we're alive. I've the aches and pains to prove it.

The sage walks over.

Agnès, Tiz, Edea, Ringabel... You have done well.

Is...is Lord DeRosso really...

He has passed from this world, together with Ouroboros.

We failed to save him.

No, it was meant to end this way. The decision was forged that day we met eighteen hundred years past.

There were matters of which the angel spoke only to Lord DeRosso.

Eighteen hundred years of planning, finally concluded like this. Did they really account for the lengths we went through, or did they just get lucky?

So Yulyana wasn't lying about not knowing Ouroboros's name, but it was more of a technicality.

And so it was we began our preparations. We considered every possibility, refined every detail.

To seal a creature that revives without end, we had need of an immortal ourselves... And we needed you, the Warriors of Light, to destroy them both.

Do not blame yourselves, children. It was preordained millenia before your time. Lester always walked one step ahead, from the day I met him. I fear now I shall never catch up.

Ah, but this is no time for leisurely chat! You must make a choice with all haste!

What choice?

Where to return, my boy! You've your choice of places to call home.

Home...

The Great Chasm links to the worlds in which you were born. But with the defeat of Ouroboros, it will soon close forever.

You are free to stay here, or to return to the world of your birth, or any other you desire.

Ah! It has already begun! Choose quickly now!

After hasty preparations:

The game really wants Yulyana to be a likeable old man, and for the most part he is. However--

Thank you. For all you've done.

......*squeeeeze*

Planning on letting go any time soon?

What harm in just a bit longer? This is my last chance.

What harm? Just ask Agnès. And you should see the look on Tiz's face.

You people are no fun. ...Well, farewell. Farewell, one and all.

I will be forever grateful!

Ha ha ha, Yulyana groped Agnès while she felt obligated to not complain because Yulyana is a respected elder and Agnès is shy and polite and also just dealt with a ton of trauma. This is a joke all right

Good riddance, Sage.

The party's escape through the dimensional tear is much like it was in the Finale.

Look! It stopped!

They've secured us a road home...

I can sense tremendous magic at work.

Well, Ringabel, let's go. Datz, Zatz, and the proprietress are waiting.

Alright, everyone. Hold on tight!

In the Finale post-game, the party probably never realized their mistake. They probably thought they did the smart thing in not following Airy's plan.

Life would've gone on as normal for at least the next few thousand years. Then not. And probably no one would know why or have any warning, except maybe a sad vampire man.

But we avoided that, thanks to our party doing nothing until the bad guys had almost won.

:toot:

What fine children... Our greatest accomplishment, and dearest treasures.

Two thousand years... It felt endless, yet it's passed in the blink of an eye. Wouldn't you agree, Lester?

D's Journal: Sage Yulyana posted:

The sage extolled our victory over Ouroboros. He also spoke of Lord DeRosso, with a hint of sorrow and envy in his voice. The Great Chasm began closing, but the sage used his powerful magic to keep it open long enough for us to return to the worlds we had chosen. He watched as we headed off to live our lives.

The ending credits start out the same as the Finale's, but diverge on the character endings.

This time, Agnès is resolute in taking on her role as caretaker of the crystals.

Edea, who once again vows to continue her father's work, but this time does so with her family, including Alternis, well and supporting her.

Meanwhile, a man who might be Ringabel aids against Airy...

Alternis, what are you--

Wait. How -- are there two Airys? Did he travel back in time? If he screws with the timeline--

I am Dark Knight Alternis Dim! The grand marshal has placed the future in my hands!

Any time you bring the manipulation of time and space into a setting, you risk making your story a mess. To Bravely Default's credit, for most of the game, the multidimension aspect was presented in a clear and consistent way even if it was tedious to play through.

Then, just for the final battle, it pulled us into a dimension beyond time and space. This added dramatic effect at the cost of giving the plot so many holes it's more air than not. Airy and Ouroboros's campaign appeared to operate within a single stable timeline, with each successive world Airy visited being slightly behind in the timeline so she could appear at approximately the same world-time in each.

At least Tiz is having a normal epilogue, having returned to the world with Egil.

Til? Til who

I can hardly wait. The innkeep says he's preparing us a feast to remember.

Mm, can't wait...

Something wrong?

Egil, go on ahead. I'll be right behind you.

Alright.

Egil runs off.

And Tiz heads to the graveyard. Good sign.

Where Tiz releases the Celestial that was apparently keeping him alive all game.

You know. Us.

Egil, meanwhile, is now accompanying Edea and Agnès to the feast...

"Keep chattering like that and you're liable to end up just like Ringabel."

Ah ha ha. Let's hope that never happens!

Ha ha ha.

Ah ha ha ha!

D's Journal: Tiz Arrior posted:

Six months after defeating Ouroboros, the Bringer of Ruin, we gathered in Caldisla as we had promised. Egil welcomed us back to the town where the four of us met. At the top of the hill, we found Tiz curled up next to his brother Til's grave, quiet and unmoving.

Despite seeing a version of Ringabel/Alternis on Grandship, he's also with the party in a now peaceful world.

Except for Tiz seemingly dying, but you know, who can blame him for taking a good rest?

Yeah, a rest sounds like a good idea.

Let's just get out of--

Ah dang not another one

Wait. She looks familiar.

Oh, right. From way back, at the beginning.

That explains the resemblance.

You may see her again another day.

But for now, in this thread...

She's gone.

The game is over.

What did the devs intend with this project? Was it to be a classic JRPG experience, or something more and newer? It seemed to claim the latter at first, but by the end had changed into the former.

A classic JRPG can be nice, but it's soured by the game's weird, hypocritical disdain for old-fashioned black vs. white stories. Bravely Default feels like a game that hates itself.

What was Bravely Default's purpose? Was it to have a fun adventure? The battle system is fun. The rest of the game starts out fun, then becomes increasingly a slog as it goes along. Getting the true ending or any side content requires forcing the player to waste time repeating dungeons and scenes for hours.

Was the terribleness of the repetition intentional? Possibly, given the game's writer; it could be seen as a way of making the player suffer alongside the party, giving the game more emotional weight when we finally reach The End.

Whether the game's second half was done intentionally this way or not, it wastes the player's time. Bravely Default feels like a game that hates the player, battle system ironically aside.

In another game, a better written game, all the plot twists and gimmicks might have lead up to some grand introspection on the player's presence in the story and their choice to participate in this mess. It broke the fourth wall and called us out as playing this for entertainment while ensuring the road to The End was unpleasant.

Instead, the game leaves you with not much but a bitter taste. The game doesn't like itself, it doesn't like you.

I wish this game were better. The sound, graphics, character writing, battle system, story concept -- it all had the potential to be excellent.

But in the end, it adds up to less than the sum of its parts. It throws together a bunch of concepts, some overdone and some half-baked, and presents it as something both new and refreshing and as something you'd be an idiot to complete.

After I finished playing Bravely Default the first time years back, I felt so relieved I was done. I never wanted to touch it again.

I hope I was able to get across a fraction of how much wasted potential this title has, and how it fails and succeeds as both a story and a game.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
You Are Not Alone
The Warriors of Light
Escape from Darkness
A Place to Call Home
Farewell to Yulyana
Our Greatest Treasure
The End

D's Journal: Bestiary/Bosses No.031 posted:

D's Journal: Bestiary/Bosses No.032 posted:

cont: but it is possible to weather the threat with aid from other worlds.

D's Journal: Ouroboros posted:

After gathering enough power to invade the Celestial Realm, he devoured his minion Airy mercilessly. Arrogant and proud, his hatred for the Celestial Realm was clear. During the battle, Lord DeRosso arrived to fulfill a promise he had made to the angel and the sage. He sacrificed himself to neutralize the core that allowed Ouroboros to regenerate over and over.

D's Journal: Airy posted:

I cannot believe it... Airy had a sister!?

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 6, 2019

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Uhh... What? :psyduck:

Congrats on finishing your LP! It was fun to look through this game that I'd heard so much about. Kind of glad I didn't pick it up after all, though.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

quote:

After a hail of attacks, Ouroboros the tragically misinformed (the celestial realm "knows no war or strife"??) dragon falters.

Maybe there is (almost) no strife in our world compared to your standard JRPG world? Because we sure don't have to kill several dozen wolfes while walking from one village to the next.

In the end we were the ones keeping Tiz alive because in his world no one survived the opening of the Grand Chasm. Which also happened in the worlds of other players. So Agnès prayer at the start of the game summoned tens of thousands of supposed gods to the different worlds. Only that the others somehow knew how to give Tiz a god-beam which we never learned.
Just another story thread that could have been something more than it ultimately was.

Thank you very much for LPing Bravely Default. It was super fun to follow your updates - probably way more fun than actually making them.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Man. So, I was spoiled on the broad outline of the plot twist with the whole multiple worlds and Ourobouros, and I was following this to see the details, but I almost wish I hadn't. The concept is so much more interesting than the execution.

Anyway, thanks for taking this journey so I didn't have to. Glad you didn't get your house invaded by a cross-dimensional hell dragon in the process.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Congratulations on finishing the LP!

I feel sorry for the people who had to play through the original version of the game. That could not have been fun to play through at all. Thank goodness the rest of the world got a somewhat salvaged version of it. Talk about a hard ball drop.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Congratulations on beating the final boss.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm curious on your thoughts of this versus Chaos Rings, another independently made Square-Enix game with a similar plot of "stop the thing that wants to destroy all dimensions". In particular I remember CR hinting at the true nature of things a lot earlier and integrating the cooperation between dimensions into gameplay rather than just a cutscene out of nowhere.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Congrats on finishing the LP!

However, since you have now teased us with cat pictures, I'm going to have to demand seeing the cat's face when it's not filtered by the game.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Greyarc posted:

Airy and Ouroboros's campaign appeared to operate within a single stable timeline, with each successive world Airy visited being slightly behind in the timeline so she could appear at approximately the same world-time in each.

I'm not sure that explains it. If Airy had to wait 5000 years for a shattered crystal to regenerate even once - and the fact that she knows exactly how long it takes suggests that she has - the party should be long dead of old age by the time she gets to the next world. She would never catch up to them in the timeline again.

EDIT: Also, I'm so very sorry I asked who the celestial hitching a ride with Tiz was.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DGM_2 posted:

I'm not sure that explains it. If Airy had to wait 5000 years for a shattered crystal to regenerate even once - and the fact that she knows exactly how long it takes suggests that she has - the party should be long dead of old age by the time she gets to the next world. She would never catch up to them in the timeline again.

EDIT: Also, I'm so very sorry I asked who the celestial hitching a ride with Tiz was.

I think opening the way for the new world connects to Tiz's Norende no matter what. Still, Ringabel going back to give Airy a dunking makes no sense no matter how you slice it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I think, having seen this ending, that Bravely Second was basically the design team recognizing their mistakes in the first game and taking to heart the lessons learned. That's the real character development here.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I can understand where all the negativity comes from, but I dont regret getting and playing this game for even a second.

And I dont care how many plotholes it raised up or how cheaply emotional it could be seen as, the final battle was, to me, exactly the right kind of fun and spectacle and the perfect employment of all the 3DS gimmicks.

Here is the music btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBTIUzPpEQ

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I missed out on the camera gimmick for the last fight because I inevitably finish JRPGs at 3am in the dark.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It might be that Ouroborous' window into the world is through the 'portals' (aka 3DSes) and what he sees is a bunch of people sitting around all day free to faff around with the lives of other people.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Congrats on finishing the LP!

I had no idea how the end would go but I'm stumped as to why? I guess it's different and uses the 3ds functions but... Still kinda weird

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Thanks for LPing this so thoroughly. I had a lot of fun playing the game even though it got very repetitive simply because it was interesting finding my preferred way to break the difficulty over my knee. I agree there was a lot of wasted potential but I don't regret my choice at all.

I've gotten distracted playing through the sequel, mostly because it's tone is way more cutesy. I'm sure I'll be picking it up again soon though, I took a few breaks from Bravely Default as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I enjoyed my time with BD, but by the time I finished this game, I was ready to move on to something else. Not quite "have my cat bury the game cartridge outside" (I also don't own a cat), but yeah it was time to be playing other things.

YggiDee posted:

I missed out on the camera gimmick for the last fight because I inevitably finish JRPGs at 3am in the dark.
Same here, but with all video games. One of the downsides to working nights.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, there you have it. That's our story. Tiz is dead. Good night!

So, which DeRosso died with Ouroboros? The one from the final chapter? The one we knew in Chapter 4?

Also, why the meta aspects? The Summons looking like technology was neat (Ziusudra aside), but I don't understand the necessity of involving the player.

Ouroboros was a terrible villain. Never been a fan of "Muahaha, I am evil because reasons." unless they're charismatic enough to balance that out. Kinda like Kefka in VI. Even then, he has a backstory that he was mentally broken by the magitek procedure that give him his abilities.

Also, Airy had a sister. So Cryst Fairies are real? Because Olivia seemed to imply she had no idea what Airy was talking about. But if there's more than one, then... :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 1, 2019

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

yeah the story is mess but i thought the gimmicks at the end there were cute

anyway, congrats! you did it, you lp'd the whole game, at last you're free

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If nothing else, holy poo poo did they nail it with this track; if you haven’t already, listen to it. In-game, it’s like FF6’s Dancing Mad: each section plays on a loop as you reach each stage of the final battle.

And thank you for doing this whole LP, Greyarc. I’d already played through it twice when I first found this, but I enjoyed the critical commentary throughout most of it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Well that was a whole lot of :psyduck:.

If there's anything I've learned recently about storytelling, it's that starting a story and ending a story are two different skills. And man does that show here.

Congrats on finishing the LP, Greyarc!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I got more satisfaction out of playing Serpent eating the Ground in curtaincall than in the finale of the game, but that song is just really good, so.

Thanks for this LP! I always kind of did wonder about the "True" ending since I went with the "wait there's another loop??? oh i'm out" crystalsmash option.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Great job with this LP, Greyarc!

This game has amazing gameplay with a great start, but it got very shaky in the middle with a disappointing ending. That said, I still don't think it's "bury the game" bad. At least Serpent Eating the Ground is a great reward for getting to the end.

I really can't imagine how the original JP version's players manage to get to finish this game without all the QOL and sidequests improvements.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I love Bravely Default, like "I played this game to completion 3 times" love. I did a fiesta run on the third one which was an incredibly weird and cool experience. It's probably in my Top 3 3DS games surpassed by Bravely Second, which is this game but better in almost every way and Fire Emblem Awakening which is a game that made be love a franchise that I hadn't cared for.

The combat system, combined with the job system is a goddamn revelation, I've not found a turn based RPG that's done it better. A thing that I think is lost in this LP is the sense of progression the game affords you. It's never overwhelming but it's always asking the player to think a little bit more every time. So often you'll think you've solved the game only for it slowly ratchet up the heat until you've no choice but to adapt again. I swore that my Valkyrie hitting for cap damage in chapter 4 was going to carry me through the game and by chapter 6 I was being disproved in a brutal fashion.

I find it so difficult to begrudge the game for its plot as a result because unlike most RPGs the gameplay isn't a thing that's preventing me to get to the plot, but the reason I'm playing to begin with. Who cares if something doesn't make sense when it gives me a chance to fight all the Black Blades together.

That and the options in New Game+ offer a level of customisation in gameplay experience that honestly can't be matched. It's stellar.

That being said, if I actually look at the plot seriously I see all the problems mentioned, but I feel like a lot of them are by design.

A lot of people expressed discontent that the "True" ending of the game is this one instead of the crystal one, but I feel like that's by intent. When we contrast the two, this is obviously the bad ending. Billions die at the hand of Ouroboros, the Eternians are murdered to the man across multiple worlds, Tiz dies at the end. But it comes into view with the idea that you as the player are a core part of the lore in the game. You could tap out at the good ending, but your desire for completion means that you see through horrendous things, knowing full well the negative consequences. The party ends up confused beyond belief because something keeps pushing them to make incorrect decisions over and over.

Notably in Bravely Second, (which I assume we're clear to discuss a little now) you never revisit this party or any of these worlds since the game is in a failure state. Instead Second takes place in another world where the party spares all the Eternians on the first go around and the Eternians themselves are nowhere near as bad.

I completely agree that this isn't communicated clearly and is a tremendously charitable reading of the game so I'll certainly never begrudge anyone thinking the plot is bad and doesn't make sense. But yeah, that's my reading and broadly why I unapologetically love this game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I must have played this bit in the dark or something because I never noticed the boss background thing. :allears:

Yea story is a mess, though I still really loved the game for it's combat and character interactions. Bravely second doubles down on both ends, too.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

You really shouldn't lie like that. Second takes place back in the world we started out on After a few tricked out temporal rescues, and follows up on this team - who killed Ouroborous.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 1, 2019

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I imagine part of the “bury the game” sentiment came from how a completionist run of this adds quite a bit more repetition to an already repetitive game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it takes about four playthroughs to get all of the cutscenes in the journal. Not full playthroughs, fortunately, but still.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

MightyPretenders posted:

You really shouldn't lie like that. Second takes place back in the world we started out on After a few tricked out temporal rescues, and follows up on this team - who killed Ouroborous.

I don't remember anything in Second suggesting anyone went back in time to alter the first world? Even if that is the case I suppose my argument still applies in that Bravely Default's true ending is a bad one.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

I don't remember anything in Second suggesting anyone went back in time to alter the first world? Even if that is the case I suppose my argument still applies in that Bravely Default's true ending is a bad one.

Well, a certain "man in green" did. Some of the Eternians mention it, though why the time-traveler bothered with them is never explained.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd be happy to explain that detail if/when we get a Bravely Second thread.

And also the prequel manga for Bravely Second that explains what happened to some characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Rest in pieces, Bravely Default. You will always be an important game for future generations to talk about.