Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

A Sometimes Food posted:

So there's seriously no FF characters?

What the actual gently caress Nomura.

This series was built on the premise of FFxDisney. I know you love your OCs but come the gently caress on

TWEWY and FFXV are teased as maybe DLC but that's all. Really weird tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
myexperinceinthecarribean.jpg

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darkoni posted:

I see people ragging on frozen world, which is fair - it's a slog. But I really loved that a Disney movie was happening and Sora, Donald, and Goofy are just like there in the background.

I like how this worked in Tangled world where they just kinda miss the later half of the movie and then make it back in time to watch the ending...from the window gawking like a bunch of creepers.

Also Marluxia fake rear end acting had me rolling

"oh no he went on without you" :geno:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Just beat the game and I think I got the secret ending (on standard)? I'm really conflicted about this game though. It was a lot of fun to play and everything was so pretty (except Sully's fur), but gently caress me the plot was just, just so convoluted.

I know what I was getting into with a Nomura game, but I'm gonna complain about it anyway. There is no loving continuity or consistency in this game whatsoever. As soon as you hit the Keyblade Graveyard it's just one asspull after another with giant fuckoff attacks one second and then the same character going down like a wet noodle one cutscene later. That's not to say that the plot made any sense whatsoever leading up to that point.

This is Kingdom Hearts: Tetsuya Nomura came up with a cool-sounding name and tried to build a story to fit it. Light and dark don't mean anything except to signify who is good or bad. Heartless have hearts, and Nobodies are actually Somebodies, but don't ask what the difference is. Hearts come and go and change to fit whatever theme Nomura's mood has settled on. Nothing makes sense because everything is made up minute-to-minute.

Also, why doesn't Phil say anything? And why is Hoodmeister actually Xigbar? Where is the Master? What's in the stupid box!? The plot was so unsatisfying and yet I know I'm going to play whatever garbage fire Nomura comes up with next (unless it's a mobile game).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phil doesn't speak because his Japanese VA died and they didn't bother to replace him.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 1, 2019

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I know it's a very Japanese thing not to replace VAs that have died, but it feels like they'd have been better off just leaving the character out if that was going to be the case.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unfortunately Phil's voice never recovered after the events in Kindgim Hearts 2.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I suppose I’m just tolerant to the point in KH games when all logic goes down the drain and it becomes 100% about visuals. I find it really entertaining

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shoren posted:

I know it's a very Japanese thing not to replace VAs that have died, but it feels like they'd have been better off just leaving the character out if that was going to be the case.

That's such a weird thing. What would they have done if the Mickey VA had died? Or Sora?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gologle posted:

What are the odds we're never gonna see any of these characters again in the next KH games?

Honestly I figure we'll probably be getting a reboot after this

Larryb posted:

Phil doesn't speak because his Japanese VA died and they didn't bother to replace him.

Did something similar happen to Owl, cause I thought it was weird that he didn't show up in 100 Acre Wood(which was a lot shorter this time around than I expected), it was basically just him and Kanga who didn't show up

Also what the heck is with Rabbit's voice this time?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I figure we'll probably be getting a reboot after this

Nomura has already said they are going to continue the series with Sora as protagonist but that this ends the Dark Seeker Saga with Xehanort as the big bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

That's such a weird thing. What would they have done if the Mickey VA had died? Or Sora?

Usually if the character is important enough they will be replaced (such as Master Xehanort and Eggman from the Sonic series) but for the most part the usual Japanese practice seems to be if a voice actor dies then their character is retired (such as King Kai from Dragon Ball and Campbell from the Metal Gear series).

Also I'm assuming the entrance to the 100 Acre Wood is in Twilight Town but at what point does it unlock (I've seen ahead in the game a bit but am currently still in Corona after finishing Toy Box)? In addition do you still have to collect Torn Pages in order to fully complete it or can you just do it all in one shot this time?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 1, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Nomura has already said they are going to continue the series with Sora as protagonist but that this ends the Dark Seeker Saga with Xehanort as the big bad.

then i guess it's a good thing another game will never be made, because sora's just an awful bore of a character

people try to meme him into this happy-go-lucky genocider but he's a cookie-cutter dimwitted naif and his schtick got old two games into the series

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm on spoiler high alert, so I'm just ducking in to ask a question that has probably already been answered: What does Power affect on Gunmi Ships?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

He's voiced by Tom Kenny now.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I didn't realise until now that Carnitas' theme is just Sora's theme in minor key. :aaaaa:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm just putting it out there, if the Secret Ending that has always in the past been foreshadowing for the next game is actually in this case foreshadowing for DLC that would be real lame.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Please talk about the ending, secret ending and epilogue in the other thread. That’s what it’s there for. We don’t want people using this thread for general discussion/help to have the end accidentally spoiled because read the wrong tagged spoilers.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

CubeTheory posted:

I'm on spoiler high alert, so I'm just ducking in to ask a question that has probably already been answered: What does Power affect on Gunmi Ships?

Apparently it affects your damage by a percentage depending on how far into the negative or positive it goes, so you want to increase your offense while not loving up your power too much.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Did something similar happen to Owl, cause I thought it was weird that he didn't show up in 100 Acre Wood(which was a lot shorter this time around than I expected), it was basically just him and Kanga who didn't show up

Makes sense that no one would notice Eeyore wasn't there.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Vitamean posted:

Makes sense that no one would notice Eeyore wasn't there.

he was norted out of existence

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cant believe that Owl lost his heart to darkness over not being able to bounce.
I can believe that Eeyore vanished into darkness though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
no but seriously where's eeyore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he slept through the whole thing. he spends more and more time in bed lately. he keeps saying everything's fine. his friends don't know what to do.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gologle posted:

no but seriously where's eeyore.

suicide

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
unpinned his tail and made a noose out of it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m wasn’t so sure about their choice to replace Eeyore with Chewbacca’s son from the Star Wars Holiday Special

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I really don't care if the narrative doesn't make sense sometimes because the themes of friendship, what it means to be a hero, protecting the things you love, etc. are all there regardless

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I just got to Let it Go (I like this song a lot more after not having listend to it for like two years). And after seeing this and all of the Tangled world: Did Disney just straight up give Square Enix their animation files or did the devs recreate this poo poo from scratch cause it's loving exactly like the movies, right down to the camera angles. I've seen Tangled a million times so almost none of it was off that I could see, and same with Let it Go, aside from the angles you get from Sora and Co's perspective.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Macaluso posted:

So I just got to Let it Go (I like this song a lot more after not having listend to it for like two years). And after seeing this and all of the Tangled world: Did Disney just straight up give Square Enix their animation files or did the devs recreate this poo poo from scratch cause it's loving exactly like the movies, right down to the camera angles. I've seen Tangled a million times so almost none of it was off that I could see, and same with Let it Go, aside from the angles you get from Sora and Co's perspective.

I remember reading that Pixar actually gave Squeenix the model data for the Toy Story characters so I wouldn't be surprised if they got some animation data too. The scene where Maximus punches Flynn in the gut looked exactly like the movie from what I remember

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Tangled was an almost exact reproduction scene for scene, leaving out a bunch of stuff obviously. It's kind of insane.

The Let It Go song was probably the first time I had to lean and squint at my screen just to see if it really actually was just the movie copy pasted with SDG photoshopped in. I'm 99% certain the audio was copied though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:lol: Do you want to build a snowman is in this game too, though not the whole song. If you don't like Frozen this world is not gonna be your favorite :v:

Should've had love is an open door IMO

edit: Oof what were they thinking with this Olaf part

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 1, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately I like Frozen so I'm good to go

Just gotta do Monsters Inc. first....

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

By God if you're going to pay for Idina Menzel you may as well get your money's worth.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Macaluso posted:

I think it is pretty obvious that they had to do the graphic engine upgrade for this game to make everything look just like the movies. KH worked for Aladin and Tarzan just fine but they know the game looked weird with Tron and Jack Sparrow in KH2. I would be willing to bet that is why they waited so long to do KH3.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The voice acting is a bit spotty in this game but I think HJO's delivery is actually really good this time around, especially compared to previous games in the series.

Also, Larxene is still the best organization member. And her Nobody's weren't that much of an issue to fight, neither was the ice labyrinth people were complaining about.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Augus posted:

The voice acting is a bit spotty in this game but I think HJO's delivery is actually really good this time around, especially compared to previous games in the series.

Him Donald and Goofy seem way more together this game in terms of interacting with each other and feeling like a team.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bobjr posted:

Him Donald and Goofy seem way more together this game in terms of interacting with each other and feeling like a team.

poor kid's gonna get a complex with how often donald shits on him

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Did anyone else feel like Sora was much more of an rear end in a top hat than usual at the start of the game? Especially early in Olympus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah he did seem a bit extra snarky this time around (which I kinda liked actually).

Also on a side note, I think Rapunzel might be the first character in the series to get the naming order wrong (she introduces the group as Sora, Goofy, and Donald at one point).