Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I know this has been hashed out here and elsewhere but man I hope this doesn't squeeze out 1-2 man shops or scare off fresh minds from jumping in.
Just got the shipment notice on my new System80 880 which means I can't buy poo poo for a long rear end time and I'm not looking at NAMM coverage. Certainly didn't watch that Rossum Trident video or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

toadee posted:

Ok well, goondolances then to whoever joins me in module burial suicide.

Someone needs to make a shirt with a coffin made of modules and the caption "Bury me 42U deep with my modules"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ricecult posted:

Great stuff! I'd love to get a Linn but 2018 was a giant gear binge for me, I gotta take some time before any more big purchases... What kind of looper is that?

It's a standard Boss RC-505. I control it a lot using a Behringer FCB1010 floor pedal from my old violin looping days, but it needed an upgraded ROM (Uno 1.04) for it to talk to the looper...

As for getting a Linn, everyone should get a Linn. I bought one on credit whilst pissed during the early hours. It was one of the best decisions of my life.

java
May 7, 2005

fuctifino posted:

It's a standard Boss RC-505. I control it a lot using a Behringer FCB1010 floor pedal from my old violin looping days, but it needed an upgraded ROM (Uno 1.04) for it to talk to the looper...

As for getting a Linn, everyone should get a Linn. I bought one on credit whilst pissed during the early hours. It was one of the best decisions of my life.

I feel like “I bought one on credit whilst pissed” would be a good thread title.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

java posted:

I feel like “I bought one on credit whilst pissed” would be a good thread title.

Thats how I upgraded my minilogue to xd.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Does anybody know if knobs are standardized, and or how to measure for a replacement? My Tanzbar 2 just arrived and it’s missing two of the knobs (don’t laugh). I’ve contacted the manufacturer but I want to stick something on in the meantime since the original replacements are going to have to come from Germany

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

A MIRACLE posted:

Does anybody know if knobs are standardized, and or how to measure for a replacement? My Tanzbar 2 just arrived and it’s missing two of the knobs (don’t laugh). I’ve contacted the manufacturer but I want to stick something on in the meantime since the original replacements are going to have to come from Germany

Appearance-wise, knobs are very non-standard, and not something you can easily just replace yourself. Size-wise, there are a couple common sizes and shapes. Can you take a picture of the knob-less potentiometer shafts? That's easier than going through them all. The only measurement that really matters is the shaft diameter. And that's usually 1/4" (for metal shafts, at least).

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Most knobs fit a 6.4mm shaft, though some are for round shafts and others are for "D" shaped shafts. Tbh I'd wait for the original knobs, but if you really can't wait you can find them lots of places by searching for "potentiometer knob".

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
will just leave this here:

https://synth.seanpierce.us/

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Could this be what's behind the microfreak's 'spice' control?

http://www.normankoren.com/Audio/Tubemodspice_article.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

snorch posted:

Could this be what's behind the microfreak's 'spice' control?

http://www.normankoren.com/Audio/Tubemodspice_article.html

hooo boy I have wasted my life

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My rock band midi guitar came in and it's actually really fun to play though my volca keys, but the "one string" thing seriously sucks. Is there a converter box or something that let's you switch up midi channels and stuff like that? It also seems to just not work at all with the volca beats.

Also I know there's a thing that let's you plug in a midi keyboard to control an OP1, that would be a different thing entirely, right?

Midi standards seem weird and I don't understand them.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

My rock band midi guitar came in and it's actually really fun to play though my volca keys, but the "one string" thing seriously sucks. Is there a converter box or something that let's you switch up midi channels and stuff like that? It also seems to just not work at all with the volca beats.

Also I know there's a thing that let's you plug in a midi keyboard to control an OP1, that would be a different thing entirely, right?

Midi standards seem weird and I don't understand them.

The midi channel the volca beats is listening on can be changed, check its manual. Most drum machines listen on channel 10 by default btw.

And there’s definitely something for changing up the channel being transmitted. There’s a ton of cool devices for manipulating midi. But tbh I can’t think of one off hand.

Also midi ain’t bad, you just gotta learn all the details.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drum machines usually receive MIDI on channel 10 with each sound triggered by a particular note, and the guitar sends on channels 1-6. I imagine that's why.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

vkeios posted:

Also midi ain’t bad
blasphemer!

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I love midi. I love din. I love my rats nest of cables. I love sending an all notes off cuz my S550 is being silly again. midi is the best.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm going DAW free and frankly I am having a blast controlling my jury-rigged pile of cheap crap with a QY70 and a MicroKorg instead of dealing with Ableton. MIDI is cool and good!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Did you all see that MIDI 2.0 has entered prototyping stages?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So Math posted:

Did you all see that MIDI 2.0 has entered prototyping stages?

Roger Linn was asked about this the other day for his thoughts about MIDI 2.0, thinking that he'd be included somehow considering his involvement with MPE. Not only was he not invited to the panel, all of the discussions and proposals are top secret, so there's no way to add any input unless you are part of the committee. It's all really weird tbh.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I bought some Kickstarter plugin "Imitone" years ago that is supposed to output midi based on your singing. This kid got tons of money and then barely delivered anything for years and years other than long winded status updates. It took him like 3 years to even make it a VST instead of a standalone app.

Somehow he got invited to th MIDI 2.0 panel. Now it's his latest excuse for why his plugin still barely works. Claims MIDI 2.0 will let one plugin scan all the activity in a song so the plugin can decide how to behave.

:psyduck:

sadus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 1, 2019

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Forgot to add that Roger Linn then said that he wasn't that interested in Midi 2.0 in any case, as he couldn't see it affecting the Linnstrument in any way, as the controller works fine with standard vanilla midi.

So nobody really knows what MIDI 2.0 is, or why it's needed... or what it'll do?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Apparently they just showed off some prototypes at NAMM but I'm not sure if anyone's actually wrote up any details about that yet. Here's what this kid mentioned:

quote:

Research work has slowed down temporarily as I prepare for The NAMM Show next week, where imitone will be part of the MIDI Manufacturers Association booth. My work there has been a big investment in the future of digital music-making, and I'm investing now more than ever: The Association is running a special event to test the first batch of MIDI 2.0 prototypes, and imitone will be one of them.

P.S. Wait, MIDI 2.0??
Oh, yeah. This is a real thing that is happening.

MIDI is the language of digital music. When you sing, and imitone plays a note, MIDI is what takes that note to the digital instrument you're playing, or the song you're recording. Because of MIDI, imitone can connect to thousands of other music tools. But MIDI was created 35 years ago. It's old-fashioned, and there are lots things it can't do, or does in an awkward way.

MIDI 2.0 was announced yesterday, and will improve and modernize MIDI without replacing it. I have been involved for over two years. With it, imitone will be able to "scan" the songs and instruments on the other side to automatically pick the best settings. For example, imitone might learn it is controlling a digital violin and automatically go into "strings" mode. Other settings like pitch bend and controller mappings can be automated, too.

For more information, I suggest searching for "MIDI 2.0", "MIDI-CI" and "MIDI Polyphonic Expression" (which influenced MIDI 2.0). This is a deep subject, and I'll have more to say in a future post!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahahaha! WTF?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Intelligent auto-portamento? All for it.

My idea of the ultimate midi controller has a set of keys and a set of strings to be played with bow, pick or fingers, triggering the notes.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's a lot of semi snake oil waffle for:

new device found > host app queries device capabilities > device reports capabilities >
host app attempts to auto-configure against a set of pre-defined expectations >
user fights against interaction edge cases and incomplete customization UI

e: to be fair, they have correctly identified the core failing of OSC.

ee: this should honestly be labelled "mLAN 2.0"

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 1, 2019

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

vkeios posted:

The midi channel the volca beats is listening on can be changed, check its manual. Most drum machines listen on channel 10 by default btw.

And there’s definitely something for changing up the channel being transmitted. There’s a ton of cool devices for manipulating midi. But tbh I can’t think of one off hand.

Also midi ain’t bad, you just gotta learn all the details.

Sweet, good to know it's doable. I'm gonna do some research and make a goofy rear end setup.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm going DAW free and frankly I am having a blast controlling my jury-rigged pile of cheap crap with a QY70 and a MicroKorg instead of dealing with Ableton. MIDI is cool and good!

Yeah I'm slowly amassing cheep hardware and using it as a way to chill without looking at a screen or sitting at a desk. It whips.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

So I took the plunge and bought an Octatrack mk1 on Reverb, only $650 because of a hairline crack in the screen. Comes next week, but I've been watching tutorials/reading the manual in preparation. Other than it being notoriously hard to learn (although looking around, despite being complicated, doesn't seem as bad as it's reputation, but I guess I'll find out when I get my hands on it), anyone have any comments or advice here? The plan is to use it with an 0 Coast, Organelle, Koma Field Kit/Field Kit FX, and probably at points an Electribe 2 and a few other pieces of gear.
My only disappointment at the moment is the lack of CV outs, or at least a sync out. There are definitely ways around it (midi to 0 Coast, click to CV on whatever else, or the sync out from the Electribe 2), but does anyone know of any tricks that would be more direct?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Arguing that we don't need midi 2.0 is like arguing that we didn't need dvd or blue-ray when we are using VHS. Or that 640x480 is all the resolution we need.

It's going to open up so many more avenues of creativity and technological innovation in instruments and music production.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Hamelekim posted:

Arguing that we don't need midi 2.0
No one has done that ITT

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh yeah, we're definitely ready for something new and usable.

Speccing the solution behind closed doors so a small cabal can collude on first-mover tight integration and coincidentally "forget" competitors' needs is just more of the same poo poo that has crippled previous ventures, though.

e: vvvv So you know, I'm a miserable old git with decades of jadedness and cynicism over the industry part of the music tech industry, so it's probably best to just ignore me. :v:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 1, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Oldstench posted:

No one has done that ITT

That's the tone I got from the discussion so far. A lot of negativity and not a lot of positive comments.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ynohtna posted:

Oh yeah, we're definitely ready for something new and usable.

Speccing the solution behind closed doors so a small cabal can collude on first-mover tight integration and coincidentally "forget" competitors' needs is just more of the same poo poo that has crippled previous ventures, though.

That's the way most of this stuff works though. You get the big players together because they honestly sell the most hardware and are in touch with the needs of the majority of musicians.

Not sure how they are colluding as that would require intent to screw other people over.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:ssh: I've been one of the people behind those closed doors on a number of the past next-gen MIDI projects.

Maybe this time will be different! :unsmith:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
MIDI 2.0 secret 440hz mind control ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIYC5Y-BVoc

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It might just be closed so progress can be made instead of a million internet users screaming out REEEEEEEEE

Usually every time this happens certain features usually "innocently" cripple some random competitor of whatever main company was part of it.

Then multiple standards come out and it's a shitshow for a few years.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I don't know details about midi 2.0 obviously (mostly going on what Adam Neely says about it) but apparently it's mostly about increased resolution, so the benefit would be things like microtuning, or smoother CC control, surround sound for VR environments, speech synthesis, lighting control etc. I would be surprised if it truly "replaced" midi across the market, I think it's more likely going to be used for instruments/software that fulfill very specific functions.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
No sense borrowing trouble anyway. If it's in "discussions for prototype stage" and given the past history of any sort of standard releases (much less adoption) we won't see poo poo for another 10 years anyway.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Midi is great because of its simplicity and reliability. It is easy for any developer to implement the parts they need while simply ignoring what they don't, with any hardware that will readily send/receive serial data (pretty much every microcontroller under the sun has a serial UART). Don't need to receive CCs, clock, NRPNs etc? Just don't implement them. Congrats, the job is done.

Looking at the 2.0 spec, I would wager that many developers will forego it and simply stick with the tried and true 1.0 spec, because all the bells and whistles aren't necessary for most use cases, and simply add a source of complexity, and therefore potential trouble, to a product.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just can't see any added benefits that warrant a 2.0 spec. We have MPE now, and I can do polyphonic portamento slides within 24 semitones on the plugins that I have using vanilla MIDI 1.x on the Linnstrument. I'm pretty sure it sends xxx.xxx values for the CC messages, and a USB connection makes sure there is more bandwidth than you'll ever need.

I'll be watching for updates though, as I'd like to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

vkeios posted:

I love midi. I love din. I love my rats nest of cables. I love sending an all notes off cuz my S550 is being silly again. midi is the best.

you think midi a lotta cables try cv/gate :sad:

its fun to clock my tb-03 from the modular and send that out via midi but drat the machine gets so impatient!

also apparently i need a mantis now for my vidsynth so lmk if any a yall got a spare 1✌️