Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Nothing about that should surprise you about Facebook’s conduct. What im surprised about is that Apple hasn’t pulled their enterprise deployment license (yet?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

geonetix posted:

Nothing about that should surprise you about Facebook’s conduct. What im surprised about is that Apple hasn’t pulled their enterprise deployment license (yet?)

I mean, they probably just shrugged and assumed this would happen when they re-issued this. Its what you get for trusting Facebook.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apple should pull all of their apps. gently caress 'em. Also it would be funny.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Apple should pull all of their apps. gently caress 'em. Also it would be funny.
oh god the tears

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1090618327502897152

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:yeshaha:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

Facebook is also saying that less than 5% of participants in the program were teens and all minors had signed parental consent forms.

God Facebook sucks. Also there's no loving way they all signed consent forms.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inept posted:

God Facebook sucks. Also there's no loving way they all signed consent forms.

Got any proof/evidence of that? There's plenty here that's problematic without making poo poo up.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

oh lmao they took away all of facebooks internal apps

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1090633751166701570

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Got any proof/evidence of that? There's plenty here that's problematic without making poo poo up.

I mean FB lied about p much everything in their original reaction soooo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

an actual dog posted:

oh lmao they took away all of facebooks internal apps

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1090633751166701570

:yeshaha:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Still have my reservations about Apple but their commitment to privacy and security has seemed real and lasting these past few years.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

From the article

quote:

Ads (shown below) for the program run by uTest on Instagram and Snapchat sought teens 13-17 years old for a “paid social media research study.” The sign-up page for the Facebook Research program administered by Applause doesn’t mention Facebook, but seeks users “Age: 13-35 (parental consent required for ages 13-17).” If minors try to sign-up, they’re asked to get their parents’ permission with a form that reveal’s Facebook’s involvement and says “There are no known risks associated with the project, however you acknowledge that the inherent nature of the project involves the tracking of personal information via your child’s use of apps. You will be compensated by Applause for your child’s participation.” For kids short on cash, the payments could coerce them to sell their privacy to Facebook.

Of course some kids lied about their age or filled out the form pretending to be their parents so they could get paid. It was just some online signup page.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Still have my reservations about Apple but their commitment to privacy and security has seemed real and lasting these past few years.

Not that long ago, Facebook was an integrated part of Ios. But all of Apple's social network initiatives have crashed and burned, this is the logical course for them.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lambert posted:

Not that long ago, Facebook was an integrated part of Ios. But all of Apple's social network initiatives have crashed and burned, this is the logical course for them.

What the hell does this mean?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What the hell does this mean?

I'm guessing they're talking about the share thing but that's been gone for ages and just let you post things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_Ping

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

an actual dog posted:

I'm guessing they're talking about the share thing but that's been gone for ages and just let you post things.

Depends on whether you consider September 2017 to be "ages" ago. Also, I was referencing Ping, of course.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Google was doing the same thing too. I deeply doubt that Apple didn't know what was going on.

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1090685989272633344

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maybe, maybe not, but Google quickly moving to axe it suggests that they don't expect to get away with it anymore.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

an actual dog posted:

Google was doing the same thing too. I deeply doubt that Apple didn't know what was going on.

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1090685989272633344

actual article link:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/30/googles-also-peddling-a-data-collector-through-apples-back-door/

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
This is doubly confusing since Google commissared Symantec only a few years ago for a similar misuse of certificates...

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

peak debt posted:

This is doubly confusing since Google commissared Symantec only a few years ago for a similar misuse of certificates...

Similar in that both involved X509 certificates but otherwise no...

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The better question is why is apple allowing MITM certs to be installed to begin with? I don't think you can do that on android system-wide anymore, apps can add their own root but it only applies to their own traffic.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I totally get why it shouldn't be a thing, but it was super useful when I needed to trouble shoot some app sign-in issues with Fiddler.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Harik posted:

The better question is why is apple allowing MITM certs to be installed to begin with? I don't think you can do that on android system-wide anymore, apps can add their own root but it only applies to their own traffic.
Well, they only become MITM certs when used by Facebook and their ilk, basically because Facebook et al is evil. It has completely legitimate uses elsewhere, but I have to agree that when Facebook and the like can use it this way, it should be locked behind some sort of explicit user-consent warning, or possibly just be allowed to be distributed with MDM configurations, or take a page out of Androids system if it works like you say it does.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
That makes no sense. Certs have scope, and signing code scope doesn't require loving ultimate source of truth root CA.

WHY did facebook need a root CA to make lunch menu apps??? The gently caress is wrong with apple's security.

There's legitimate reasons for a MITM cert (financial institutions that have to log everything use them) but that doesn't explain why apple was putting one on random phones for facebook.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's two things going on. Facebook got an Enterprise Developer Cert from Apple that allows them to sideload apps signed with that cert onto devices that have the profile containing the certificate - otherwise Facebook would need to publish their lunch menu app in the App Store. This would usually just be a payload deployed via an MDM solution since they're company devices anyway.

Facebook were using this certificate to enable non-Facebook employees to install their custom data harvesting application. This application would have installed a root cert and then a VPN profile and sent everything over this tunnel to Facebook, who could then decrypt the traffic.

Deploying internal applications onto iPhones doesn't require you to MITM all the traffic.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Thanks Ants posted:

There's two things going on. Facebook got an Enterprise Developer Cert from Apple that allows them to sideload apps signed with that cert onto devices that have the profile containing the certificate - otherwise Facebook would need to publish their lunch menu app in the App Store. This would usually just be a payload deployed via an MDM solution since they're company devices anyway.

Facebook were using this certificate to enable non-Facebook employees to install their custom data harvesting application. This application would have installed a root cert and then a VPN profile and sent everything over this tunnel to Facebook, who could then decrypt the traffic.

Deploying internal applications onto iPhones doesn't require you to MITM all the traffic.
so it's not the developer cert that lets them MITM directly, but that "enterprise developer certs" come with the ability to install a root CA because they're supposed to be for company devices.

And I'm guessing the permission to install a root CA for SSL sniffing is separate but facebook was granted it because they're big enough to need one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Harik posted:

facebook was granted it because they're big enough to need one.

Wrong.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Harik posted:

so it's not the developer cert that lets them MITM directly, but that "enterprise developer certs" come with the ability to install a root CA because they're supposed to be for company devices.

And I'm guessing the permission to install a root CA for SSL sniffing is separate but facebook was granted it because they're big enough to need one.

I can go install a root cert for SSL sniffing right now on my iOS device with no special privileges.

e: https://docs.telerik.com/fiddler/Configure-Fiddler/Tasks/ConfigureForiOS

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah anybody can install a root cert onto an iOS device. It throws up a lot of warnings but it doesn't stop you from doing it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google just got all their poo poo killed at Apple too.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah anybody can install a root cert onto an iOS device. It throws up a lot of warnings but it doesn't stop you from doing it.

That's definitely different than newer Android, I couldn't do it on 7+.

Unrelated, any idea what this is? I paved two machines that were emailing it out but I want to make sure I don't miss it on anything else. It's detected in file form but the email itself wasn't for some reason.

NVM it's a generic downloader so it does whatever the current server payload is today. Finally found one of the descriptors that was more than "this file is bad don't open it" gee thanks for that Microsoft.

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 1, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Google just got all their poo poo killed at Apple too.
:kiss:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Facebook has a cert again so I'd imagine Google will too within a day or so

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Harik posted:

You can't on Android, https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2016/07/changes-to-trusted-certificate.html?m=1 and this kinda crap is why

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem
Sorry if this doesn't fit in with the rest of the thread. I have just moved to a new position. I have an 'IT Security Manager' reporting to me.

Their role is quite poorly defined. As far as I can ascertain, they currently do the following 4 things:

• Read security blogs and other news sources and alert other technical staff of potential problems (e.g. send an email to the relevant Ops group to advise of a vulnerability in MS Exchange).
  • Triage tickets raised from our Managed SIEM service (e.g. raise a ticket with the desktop team to advise that a PC may have adware because the cloud SIEM have noticed it sent a HTTP request to somewhere suspicous).
  • Arrange Penetration Tests from external suppliers, distribute the results of those tests to the internal groups so they can take action.
  • Provide guidance on compliance when tendering for contracts (e.g. advises sales what our AD password policies are)

What would you expect a high-performing IT Security Manager to do? E.g. would you expect them to be able to perform some vulnerability testing themselves? Would you expect them to develop reporting capability? Get involved in development practices? Any specific examples would be great. I suppose it seems odd to me that this person does not do any hands-on technical work, and they don't have a very deep technical understanding (e.g. didn't understand the mechanism behind a SQL injection attack).

It's a professional services company, not a technology company. Usual sort of landscape, mostly Windows clients and servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why were they hired? Who hired them? Are they there just to tick a box in one of your contracts, and or to be a prop in client meetings?

If you hired someone competent, would they leave from boredom/underpay?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 1, 2019