Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

there wolf posted:

Disagree. Everything they added looks as cheap as possible, and that's extra discordant with the stained glass and stonework.

You might be right about the cheapness, but compared to the mess most church conversions I've seen are, it's pretty decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bEatmstrJ posted:

Any conversion of a church is a good conversion.

How's your bathroom?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looks more like a schism than a conversion

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

absolem posted:

You might be right about the cheapness, but compared to the mess most church conversions I've seen are, it's pretty decent

Got any links. I tried to look up better versions of the same idea and found a bunch of really nice ones that were pretty much all single residences so you didn't have to dived the space so much.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How's your bathroom?

It's wonderful, thanks for asking.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

there wolf posted:

Got any links. I tried to look up better versions of the same idea and found a bunch of really nice ones that were pretty much all single residences so you didn't have to dived the space so much.

No, sorry - I've just seen a couple weird conversions into single homes by people my dad lent to

Best imo is https://thespaces.com/born-again-cls-architects-turn-a-church-into-their-milan-hq/amp/ although it's not living space

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That's pretty drat amazing.

But if anyone wants a church house of their own, I found one for sale https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/390-Marienstein-Rd-Upper-Black-Eddy-PA-18972/9064473_zpid/

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

there wolf posted:

That's pretty drat amazing.

But if anyone wants a church house of their own, I found one for sale https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/390-Marienstein-Rd-Upper-Black-Eddy-PA-18972/9064473_zpid/

Infinitely better than the other one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drat that's really nice!!!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
My uncle converted a rural church into living space. I'll have to take pictures the next time I'm there.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

Any conversion of a church is a good conversion.

:jerkbag: so edgy

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Uhhhhh, I feel so called out right now. At the risk of forums mockery, I confess to Almighty God...

I have a wooden pulpit from the 1840s (unspecified Protestant, so it's plain) I use as a bookshelf, an antique incense censer stand (Catholic, so it's ornate) I use as a scarf tree, and a 1930s outdoor church sign (Episcopalian, so it's in the middle) hanging in my apartment.

Here's a pic of my cat, with the pulpit showing in the top center, in front of which is a Mexican retablo/shrine to St. Michael (gift from an ex).

Yes, I am a former Catholic. I'm also 40 and unmarried. My aunt recently asked me, "Do you ever worry that your apartment is scaring away men?" I said, "Pffffft, I take care of that myself." :j:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rabbit Hill posted:

Uhhhhh, I feel so called out right now. At the risk of forums mockery, I confess to Almighty God...

I have a wooden pulpit from the 1840s (unspecified Protestant, so it's plain) I use as a bookshelf, an antique incense censer stand (Catholic, so it's ornate) I use as a scarf tree, and a 1930s outdoor church sign (Episcopalian, so it's in the middle) hanging in my apartment.

Here's a pic of my cat, with the pulpit showing in the top center, in front of which is a Mexican retablo/shrine to St. Michael (gift from an ex).

Yes, I am a former Catholic. I'm also 40 and unmarried. My aunt recently asked me, "Do you ever worry that your apartment is scaring away men?" I said, "Pffffft, I take care of that myself." :j:

Looks like a good cat

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cat knows whats up.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
The best part of a church conversion is not having to take out the garbage for a long time.

Content below. Anyone need a handyman in the Des Moines metro area?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

You should get that lump in the middle of your chest looked at.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dielectric posted:

The best part of a church conversion is not having to take out the garbage for a long time.

Content below. Anyone need a handyman in the Des Moines metro area?

Des Moines crew represent, but I’m gonna give your handyman/designer a hard pass.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I can smell this picture. Woodsmoke, pine, leather, old paper. I love it.

... I would replace the chair with something cosy and over-stuffed, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, just needs a big stoneware mug of tea, and a metal teapot sitting on top of that stove to stay warm for easy refills.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Any recommended books on craftsman style bungalows? Or (interior) craftsman style in general?

In the process of buying one from 1900 and ho-boy it needs some updates. I’m thinking ‘industrial farmhouse’!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Any recommended books on craftsman style bungalows? Or (interior) craftsman style in general?

In the process of buying one from 1900 and ho-boy it needs some updates. I’m thinking ‘industrial farmhouse’!

Craftsman style architecture translates to arts-and-crafts style furniture, and the arts and crafts movement in general. The focus is on handcrafted furniture that is simple in design and construction, usually with construction elements as the only design features (through-tenons being particularly popular). I like Nancy Hiller's book, "English Arts & Crafts Furniture" for an overview of the philosophies and construction methods of the movement.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2018/06/27/nancy-hillers-english-arts-crafts-furniture-book/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

‘Industrial’ anything is sort of philosophically opposed to the idea behind craftsman/arts and crafts stuff, but you do you. Look at stuff by Greene & Greene- the Gamble house especially. Much of Frank Lloyd Wright’s early interiors are good craftsman inspiration as well.

In general, I’d say there tend to be fairly rich, bold colors, with contrasting (or often stained wood) trim, very often oriental rugs, and an emphasis more on geometric than organic shapes. Lots of brown oak furniture. Look at the Stickley furniture catalog too-they’re very appropriate (and expensive).

My local library always has a ton of big glossy $80 coffee table books back in the art/art history and interior design sections. Poke around in there and you can probably find something useful.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The first place I stayed when I moved to Seattle was with a group of extremely lovely hippies who decorated their craftsman home like this:

I have a lot of good memories of spending dark, rainy mornings reading Virginia Woolf on a big, overstuffed couch by the window. A lot of craftsman homes I visited there were done in a similar style (which is how I learned that you have to be fastidiously tidy to pull it off), and it's probably the one kind of interior design I miss the most now that I'm in Toronto.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magic Hate Ball posted:

it's probably the one kind of interior design I miss the most now that I'm in Toronto.

I’m sure there are some places like that in the Annex somewhere, if nothing else.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

vonnegutt posted:

Craftsman style architecture translates to arts-and-crafts style furniture, and the arts and crafts movement in general. The focus is on handcrafted furniture that is simple in design and construction, usually with construction elements as the only design features (through-tenons being particularly popular). I like Nancy Hiller's book, "English Arts & Crafts Furniture" for an overview of the philosophies and construction methods of the movement.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2018/06/27/nancy-hillers-english-arts-crafts-furniture-book/

Ah I follow her (and LAP) on Instagram, completely forgot this book was a recent release.

Also, very much joking on the 'industrial farmhouse' bit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
may we just take a moment to appreciate my man in des moines and those Serious Ceiling Titties My God Those Things Are Terrifying

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

may we just take a moment to appreciate my man in des moines and those Serious Ceiling Titties My God Those Things Are Terrifying

Poor dude is just trying to make a buck. :saddowns:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In fairness, if my options were a single bare bulb and a dark room or two boob lights and a decent illumination level, I'll take the boobs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The first place I stayed when I moved to Seattle was with a group of extremely lovely hippies who decorated their craftsman home like this:

I have a lot of good memories of spending dark, rainy mornings reading Virginia Woolf on a big, overstuffed couch by the window. A lot of craftsman homes I visited there were done in a similar style (which is how I learned that you have to be fastidiously tidy to pull it off), and it's probably the one kind of interior design I miss the most now that I'm in Toronto.

What style of decor works well if you aren't fastidiously tidy?

asking for a friend

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

asking for a friend

Turning the lights off

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In fairness, if my options were a single bare bulb and a dark room or two boob lights and a decent illumination level, I'll take the boobs.

Hey if it's electrically safe he's miles ahead of the pack on average.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Variable 5 posted:

Turning the lights off

Works for the state of my crotch too

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Facebook Aunt posted:

asking for a friend

That witchy look involves a lot of eclectic maximalism, which definitely requires a certain level of maintainence - the line between interesting bric-a-brac and hoarder garbage gets blurred real quick, especially if you don't actually have an eye for eclectic decor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That witchy look involves a lot of eclectic maximalism, which definitely requires a certain level of maintainence - the line between interesting bric-a-brac and hoarder garbage gets blurred real quick, especially if you don't actually have an eye for eclectic decor.

The envelope can be pushed if the bric-a-brac is actually interesting as well as interesting looking. Bonus points if some of the objects have good stories associated in case someone asks why you have a complete skeleton of a five legged bandicoot or whatever. Sell or otherwise get rid of anything that ceases to interest you or that both doesn't have a bitchin story and doesn't contribute to the feeling that you wandered into a surreal 90s adventure game.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blue Footed Booby posted:

surreal 90s adventure game.

I've always wanted to live in 9.

Especially that area with junk floating in space.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The envelope can be pushed if the bric-a-brac is actually interesting as well as interesting looking. Bonus points if some of the objects have good stories associated in case someone asks why you have a complete skeleton of a five legged bandicoot or whatever. Sell or otherwise get rid of anything that ceases to interest you or that both doesn't have a bitchin story and doesn't contribute to the feeling that you wandered into a surreal 90s adventure game.

Basically this, and also make sure you dust a lot.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

oh god I was looking at church conversions and saw what may be the weirdest interior design I have ever seen. It's like it was decorated by aliens.

why does this look like a surrealist collage

The kicker:

realtorbabble posted:

it now serves as both home, business & studio space for its current interior designer owner.
:psyduck:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have one of these above my (stacked) dryer that acts a hamper. Has the benefit of looking nice, being all ~colorful~, and hiding dirty-rear end clothes. the problem with hampers isn't that they're out in the open, the problem is that most are these ugly-rear end 'utilitarian' plastic molds people buy for $9.99 from Costco and then can't figure out why it looks so goddamn hideous when it sits in the corner of the bedroom floor
Hello, I'm coming from the past to make fun of this $110 hamper that looks every bit as 'ugly' and utilitarian as the cheap plastic ones.

That hamper looks like it should be sold at Ikea for $20 and called IXKARPANT. I'd have no problem with it then, because its price would match its quality(and it's really not that ugly). Except Ikea actually sells a similar hamper for a whopping $8. It's simplistic, durable, colorful, and also reasonably priced. I'd rather have that if I was the type who wanted brightly colored laundry hampers.

I'm not bringing this up just to dunk on your choice of hamper, but to vent about one of my interior design pet peeves: The rung of decor and household stuff that's just enough steps above Ikea and Target to be markedly more expensive, but not enough steps above them to actually be a better-looking/functioning product. It's for people who want their home to be filled with status symbols, except they can't afford real status symbols and 99.9% of the people who look at their stuff can't tell the difference anyway.

I don't mind expensive things as long as there's some justification of why they're the price they are(durability, legitimately unique styling, high-quality materials, etc), but stuff like that hamper is just insulting to the consumer. It's generic furnishings with enough :words: attached to fool the buyer into believing it's actually unique high-end stuff. It's bullshit along the lines of "artisanal" food.

I know Design Within Reach is low-hanging fruit here, but seriously. Look at it. "Derived from simple geometric shapes, his Teema Dinnerware (1952) exemplifies the removal of superfluous ornament, functional yet sophisticated in how it meets every need, from preparing to serving, all the while marked by timeless beauty." sure is one way to say "it's a white bowl." That rug is several times more expensive than comparable artificial silk/wool rugs of the same size. That $150 plant holder is made of plastic.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There’s a GORGEOUS American bungalow on my street in Parkdale and they often leave their shutters open at night so you can see the gorgeous interiors that they have kept up completely in the style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:staredog: