Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wonder if stamos ever gets tired melting down like a clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i wonder if stamos ever gets tired melting down like a clown

Shirt answer: no

https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1091108382000451585?s=19

https://twitter.com/migueldeicaza/status/1091112727190405120?s=19

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Haha gently caress that's not true at all

'We MiTM'd to learn details of things like "how many messages are people sending in this app" to decide who to buy that's totally what OS vendors are doing, right guys? guys? guys?'

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 1, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

It just gets worse. He then pivots to trying to say Apple is worse cause they sell their phone in china. Thankfully gets mocked.

https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1091118657382551553?s=19

https://twitter.com/koush/status/1091121337681080320?s=19

https://twitter.com/koush/status/1091122842417094657?s=19

How is it the tech industries are the only ones where their CISOs get in twitter fights? Like, the ciso for jpmc isn't on Twitter defending equifax.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Plank Walker posted:

yeah i wouldn't say apple is perfect, but don't create this false equivalency with two companies whose entire revenue streams are based on collecting and monetizing as much personal info as they can glean from you

yeah, apple just hasn't hosed up yet. never trust a corporation

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 1, 2019

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

yep that seemed to come true and tbh it’s achieved a much higher cross platform adoption rate then literally any other gui library

except is hasn't since every application of worth is native and simply disabling those apps caused such a massive headache to facebook despite their massive investment in web "apps"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

except is hasn't since every application of worth is native and simply disabling those apps caused such a massive headache to facebook despite their massive investment in web "apps"

yeah well guess what you’re posting in a web app and you must like it since you post so much

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

How is it the tech industries are the only ones where their CISOs get in twitter fights? Like, the ciso for jpmc isn't on Twitter defending equifax.

lol this further reinforces my theory that twitter use eats the brain

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Truga posted:

yeah, apple just hasn't hosed up yet. never trust a corporation

the issue is that facebook and google didn't gently caress up, they did exactly what they wanted to do

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Plank Walker posted:

the issue is that facebook and google didn't gently caress up, they did exactly what they wanted to do

Yeah. And I would dare say Apple had its fair share of privacy fuckups over the last year as well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CmdrRiker posted:

Yeah. And I would dare say Apple had its fair share of privacy fuckups over the last year as well.

but apple's response is "oops, we'll fix it" rather than "oops we got caught"

apple doesn't make money from selling your info and doesn't need to. the others do

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

It just gets worse. He then pivots to trying to say Apple is worse cause they sell their phone in china. Thankfully gets mocked.

I know he's trying to deflect from FB and all, but I hate the China stuff and we shouldn't give them a pass for it. Apple does deserve a ton of flak for China and what they did with encrypted backups, it is probably their worst privacy move and they basically got away with it.

The things US companies do to try and get into a market under the false belief the Chinese government wont just gently caress them is somewhere between embarrassing and enraging, not even Apple is immune to selling their soul to try and enter that market.

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 1, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

haveblue posted:

apple doesn't make money from selling your info and doesn't need to. the others do

LOL that you believe this

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1450784

Yay Firefox is on the gently caress MiTMs train too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
does stamos work at the Menlo Park water district now 'cause he's carrying a lot of water for facebook

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

does stamos work at the Menlo Park water district now 'cause he's carrying a lot of water for facebook

hmm, the hot water has been a little cloudy of late

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
University IT dept decides to do a phishing test by faking emails from the police department and not telling the cops what they're doing

https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Police-Traffic-Ticket-Email-Scam-Was-Actually-SOU-Test-505208281.html

quote:

MEDFORD, Ore. — A suspected email scam apparently targeting students and employees at Southern Oregon University (SOU) turned out to be a test conducted by the university's IT department, according to the Medford Police Department (MPD).

The emails looked official, MPD said — even sporting the City of Medford seal. Even the email address looked legitimate, coming from "City of Medford Traffic Enforcement" at trafficcameraviolations@ci.medford.or.us

"The email claims the recipient’s vehicle committed a traffic violation which was captured by a traffic camera in Medford, Oregon," MPD said. "The email then directs the recipient to follow instructions in the attached zip file."

But when MPD officers began investigating, they found out that the emails had come from SOU's IT department as a "phishing test" — seeing who would take the bait in order to raise awareness about digital security.

SOU clarified that the email had been sent to about 143 people, all with SOU email addresses.

"While the email looks official and even includes the City of Medford Oregon seal, it is not associated with the City of Medford in any way. Please disregard and delete this email if you have received it," MPD said.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
hmm, probably does not count as intent to obtain a benefit, to injure or defraud another or to facilitate an unlawful activity

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

DNS outage = let's delete customer data, yay Azure!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rjmccall posted:

hmm, probably does not count as intent to obtain a benefit, to injure or defraud another or to facilitate an unlawful activity

benefit was gaining information about the security posture of their network

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Examining Pointer Authentication on the iPhone XS

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

apseudonym posted:

I know he's trying to deflect from FB and all, but I hate the China stuff and we shouldn't give them a pass for it. Apple does deserve a ton of flak for China and what they did with encrypted backups, it is probably their worst privacy move and they basically got away with it.

Unpopular opinion: Apple giving away iCloud encryption keys in PRC is going to cause far more human harm than Facebook or Google will ever do.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

salted hash browns posted:

Unpopular opinion: Apple giving away iCloud encryption keys in PRC is going to cause far more human harm than Facebook or Google will ever do.
Let's not challenge companies to one up that move. Tech companies are desperate for growth numbers.

I want to believe that people are just being willfully ignorant of Apple giving the keys to a Chinese government ran company, there's no greater sin for a privacy promising company than promising privacy and outright stabbing them in the back.

E: migraine posting is bad for grammar

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 2, 2019

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I’ll admit fault for my ignorance but this is the first I’ve heard of apple doing that. not defending or saying they didn’t or w/e just saying I missed that in the news

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that's a security fuckup?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Auto-deleting database if it's encryption key is briefly offline, maybe just a general fuckup caused by an attempt at security? Their docs claim it should not have happened until the key was unavailable for 24 hours.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

if you don’t consider rohingya human, sure. or goog’s party compliant search engine years in making, or their military programs, or

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

but sorry i do forget that companies are people and our friends. everyone please stop being mean to facebook and google, apple bad.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

but sorry i do forget that companies are people and our friends. everyone please stop being mean to facebook and google, apple bad.

None of them are your friends

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apseudonym posted:

None of them are your friends

you don’t have to tell that to me, im not american

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think this is especially egregious considering their attitude in the San Bernardino case. You can argue about whether or not they did the right thing there, but making a stand against US government agencies there, and then just handing over keys to the Chinese government without even blinking tells you all you need to know about Apple.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

spankmeister posted:

I think this is especially egregious considering their attitude in the San Bernardino case. You can argue about whether or not they did the right thing there, but making a stand against US government agencies there, and then just handing over keys to the Chinese government without even blinking tells you all you need to know about Apple.

The San Bernardino thing was a PR stunt

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Methanar posted:

The San Bernardino thing was a PR stunt

Yes, exactly. Corporations only care about privacy as long as it affects their bottom line. In the western hemisphere you can differentiate your product by claiming to provide privacy for your users.

In China, caring about privacy means no sales at all, and with a rapidly growing middle class being able to afford iPhones, privacy becomes irrelevant.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lmao Facebook let whole neighborhoods organize on their platform for a bit of ethnic cleansing so maybe try again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CmdrRiker posted:

I didn't know the difference between "competitive intelligence" and "economic espionage" so I went to wiki.

Welp.

competitive intelligence:economic espionage::ephebophile:pædophile

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

fishmech posted:

LOL that you believe this

well Apple is a publicly traded company and files their financials so there’s no reason for apathetic doubt: you can just check

spankmeister posted:

so if people living under an openly repressive government can’t have the same privacy protections westerners are used to then nobody should have those??

I rather think Apple giving up a fight in China but not a one in USA tells you all you need to know about the Chinese government

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Max Facetime posted:

well Apple is a publicly traded company and files their financials so there’s no reason for apathetic doubt: you can just check

yep and you can just check that they in fact rely on making monetary value off your personal data

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I almost missed this because of all the Facebook fuckery

https://www.zdnet.com/article/unsecured-mongodb-databases-expose-kremlins-backdoor-into-russian-businesses/

The exact same "admin@kremlin.ru" account was found on thousands of exposed MongoDBs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

admin@kremlin.ru is a little bit on the nose