Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

How long is the new Mob going to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

How long is the new Mob going to be

13 eps.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

You, a fool: The new Dororo is bad because it's title character is insufferable.

Me, a radiant god-like genius: The new Dororo is bad because it's title character isn't insufferable enough

they were more likeable in the 2 eps i watched of the old one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dororo feels so tangential to things in the new show that i haven't really formed an opinion other than the character design is cute and their VA does a good job. using oira as a personal pronoun is bonus points

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/moca_news/status/1090996196515053569

Fired unofficial mascot Chiitan is getting an anime in April.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
for the unenlightened, Chiitan a 0-year-old fairy baby who plays around super actively every day!

https://twitter.com/ogecebel/status/1086609248681783296
https://twitter.com/ogecebel/status/1073509748547379200
https://twitter.com/ogecebel/status/1090561611318812672

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
This week's episode of Bang Dream was all about Pastel Palettes and the translators still won't let Hina say boppin'.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

This week's episode of Bang Dream was all about Pastel Palettes and the translators still won't let Hina say boppin'.

It's hosed up!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We did get Max Bushido from Eve though

Also peak Otae!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I like The Promised Neverland, but it's kind of funny how everyone yells about their devious plans right there in the house.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
it's avery big and well-insulated house okay

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Agronox posted:

I like The Promised Neverland, but it's kind of funny how everyone yells about their devious plans right there in the house.

That is every TV show/movie ever. See every scene where people openly talk about top secret/criminal activities in a diner.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That is every TV show/movie ever. See every scene where people openly talk about top secret/criminal activities in a diner.

https://youtu.be/KbQDP0eYzHk

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

We did get Max Bushido from Eve though

Rheya
Mar 30, 2010
I'm enjoying how game Kasumi is for everyone's antics, she works really well with characters like Eve and Kokoro I think.

Indeed peak Otae, too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

it's avery big and well-insulated house okay

Made with the highest quality wood cut from the highest quality trees grown from the highest quality children.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Agronox posted:

Yeah, the The Promised Neverland anime is not bad, but it's kinda in the same spot as Golden Kamuy anime. Still good due to extremely strong source material, but hopelessly inferior to manga in every way.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, the The Promised Neverland anime is not bad, but it's kinda in the same spot as Golden Kamuy anime. Still good due to extremely strong source material, but hopelessly inferior to manga in every way.

Yeah, I thought the first ep was extremely promising but will likely just end up reading it at some point. I think WSJ lets you look at old chapters now...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Agronox posted:

Yeah, I thought the first ep was extremely promising but will likely just end up reading it at some point. I think WSJ lets you look at old chapters now...

If you have their subscription service yes, and it's totally worth it if you read manga.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HedbYZJ7jEM

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

hm yes, except all the ways that literally can't be replicated in manga

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

Golden Kamuy makes me sad with how much they skip. Like not showing Sugimoto's back story and reason for needing the gold was a MASSIVE travesty. Slime has also been having this issue as of late which bums me out.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

dogsicle posted:

hm yes, except all the ways that literally can't be replicated in manga

I mean obviously anime has the whole animation, music and voice acting going for it, but that's not really a guarantee that the end result will be better. Even ignoring the fact that bad animation, music and voice acting will easily make anime worse than manga (hello, Berserk CG anime), the studio may make decision to adapt things in a way that screws up everything.

In the case of Promised Neverland, someone made this bizarre decision to never do inner monologue. In series where the entire premise is intricate mind-games between group of geniuses while upholding the masquerade of being one big happy family . This results in most of characters looking like idiots when they talk to themselves about things that would get them killed if anyone overheard them (which is the main complaint almost everyone has about the show) as well as skipping over shitloads of extra information and details. Also complete character shift for sister Crone (all the scenes with the doll are anime-only, in manga she was thinking those things to herself while smiling at Isabella).

In the case of Golden Kamuy, it's really obvious the studio decided that anime should end at the end of certain arc, despite the massive amount of stuff they would have to adapt in 26 episodes to get there. So the anime ends up skipping over scenes, backstories and even entire arcs with critical story developments, which results in a lot weaker and less coherent story. There is also the thing where the guy who draws the manga is a really good artist and the studio would probably need orders of magnitude better budget to do his art-style justice, so a lot of scenes remains depicted better in manga despite the addition of animation, music and voice acting in anime, which is understandable, but still not ideal for anime.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean obviously anime has the whole animation, music and voice acting going for it, but that's not really a guarantee that the end result will be better. Even ignoring the fact that bad animation, music and voice acting will easily make anime worse than manga (hello, Berserk CG anime), the studio may make decision to adapt things in a way that screws up everything.

In the case of Promised Neverland, someone made this bizarre decision to never do inner monologue. In series where the entire premise is intricate mind-games between group of geniuses while upholding the masquerade of being one big happy family . This results in most of characters looking like idiots when they talk to themselves about things that would get them killed if anyone overheard them (which is the main complaint almost everyone has about the show) as well as skipping over shitloads of extra information and details. Also complete character shift for sister Crone (all the scenes with the doll are anime-only, in manga she was thinking those things to herself while smiling at Isabella).

I mean sure, the overall product may come off weaker because certain elements bring it down. I just think in the case where you act as if Neverland's anime has nothing to offer over the manga well...that's blatantly wrong. The voice acting in the two episodes I watched was good, everything about the audio was great, the animation is strong etc. By nature of a comic only being certain "frames" of a story, animation having to extrapolate that also results in tons more sequences and visual ideas that are absent from the manga as well. If these cannot redeem the series for someone that's fine, but they are all things being created whole cloth that have value and no counterpart in the manga.

When it comes to losing internal monologue, well that happens because it can easily be boring as poo poo. If they faithfully adapted that stuff in the anime you'd have people complaining in the other direction, or at least a different group of people complaining about that choice. Compromises are made when shifting mediums and so an attempt at balance is struck by leveraging strengths of the new medium to offset what is lost by the weaknesses of that medium. Getting to the specific examples of this stuff, well, I haven't seen past episode 2. As much as I feel there is value to the anime, it's hard for me to find motivation to watch shows of stuff I've already read even when they are good. Personally, replacing internal monologue with some degree of thinking aloud doesn't bother me as a concept and I'm willing to excuse the stupidity of it in-universe because it's a fictional story where I don't need everything to be logical or literal or sensible. The Crone stuff is, again, outside of what I've seen but I wouldn't be surprised if some aspects to her have been toned down in the anime because her portrayal in the manga is a bit problematic.

anyway uh tldr: I think it's better to phrase your dissatisfaction with a show in a way that is specific of what you feel are its failings (like your post responding to mine) instead of hyperbolically denouncing the value of the entire thing just because a few writing and characterization choices don't line up with the manga.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

HHW are the biggest idiots, but they're amusing idiots

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rewatching K-on season 2 and calling it the best elevation of a manga ever feels like it's under selling how good it is. I think even when I first watched I didn't appreciate just how good it is as a series

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I'm Commander Shepherd and K-ON!! is my favorite anime in Winter Season 2019

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Space Flower posted:

I'm Commander Shepherd and K-ON!! is my favorite anime in Winter Season 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[wrex voice] Mugi

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-on is good!! And yui is the best!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At being sticky

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yui is good. Sensei is the best, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Rewatching K-on season 2 and calling it the best elevation of a manga ever feels like it's under selling how good it is. I think even when I first watched I didn't appreciate just how good it is as a series

I saw it was on vrv so I (re)watched the first couple episodes of the first season for the first time in years and almost couldn't believe just how lively and fun the animation was. Finding out a thing you like is even better than you remember is kinda neat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm still watching Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka, but I must say that I think the torture scene in this week's episode crossed the line into Magical Girl Site-style sadism. It's a thin line, though, and I have some hope that the show will stay on the right side of it in the future.

Also, is this thread the best place to discuss MGSOA? I don't think there are enough other people watching it here to justify making a separate thread for it, and it feels a bit awkward or even tasteless to discuss it in the Magical Girls thread, which is mostly focused on kids' shows.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fairly badass ep if you ask me

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

At the risk of jinxing it, I think Kaguya-sama's basically dispelled any worries I had about the big joke getting too stale over the course of its run. 4 episodes in and it still doesn't feel like it's lost any momentum or stopped making me laugh. The directing and presentation remain fantastic throughout, and the writing is fleshing the characters out and varying the skit concepts up juuuuust enough to keep me having a good time. Good show, good dorks.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Spiritus Nox posted:

At the risk of jinxing it, I think Kaguya-sama's basically dispelled any worries I had about the big joke getting too stale over the course of its run. 4 episodes in and it still doesn't feel like it's lost any momentum or stopped making me laugh. The directing and presentation remain fantastic throughout, and the writing is fleshing the characters out and varying the skit concepts up juuuuust enough to keep me having a good time. Good show, good dorks.

My experience with the manga is that it got progressively more funny and interesting as side characters were introduced and chapters started veering off from the formula. I'm glad to see the adaptation doing justice to it so far.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Wark Say posted:

Yui is good. Sensei is the best, though.

Yui is Extremely Powerful