Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't understand the economics of this project. It seems like they should already be out of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ehud posted:

I can't understand the economics of this project. It seems like they should already be out of money.

based on the fact they're hiring part time people, they are probably getting close

nobody loving wants a part time engineering job lol

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Remember this is the crowdfunded pill chase that had a volunteer based development and art team for a good while, if not still currently. A lot of the early stuff was done for free by diehard fans who already contributed hundreds of dollars to ~the vision~

Nothing about this project has made a lot of sense since day one.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

How long has this game been in development anyway

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Simultaneously too long and not long enough.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This whole old caste of gamers excited for games like this is a bit of a mystery to me still, but this is coming from someone whos first MMO was loving Ragnarok Online when it launched here in Brazil so whatever.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
They are catering pretty hard to the Project 1999 crowd which honestly are the only people chomping at the bits for this. I don't see how 3000-4000 subs will make this profitable but my name isn't benzo brad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If this game fails then I’ll make a game for all of the mentally ill among us who want to camp 8 hours for a tunic that givens a 5% Heath Regen bonus

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

shirunei posted:

They are catering pretty hard to the Project 1999 crowd which honestly are the only people chomping at the bits for this. I don't see how 3000-4000 subs will make this profitable but my name isn't benzo brad.

4000 people paying 12.99 a month plus the fee of buying the game could let this limp on for a while. I mean, hell, a lot of us naysayers will undoubtedly buy this loving game when it comes out just to see if it can hold a candle to early stage EQ despite how unlikely that may be (myself included).

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pathos posted:

4000 people paying 12.99 a month plus the fee of buying the game could let this limp on for a while. I mean, hell, a lot of us naysayers will undoubtedly buy this loving game when it comes out just to see if it can hold a candle to early stage EQ despite how unlikely that may be (myself included).

Ya look at Albion they have like 600 active players (and that's being generous) and that poo poo is still poo poo-limping along.

Also this is a poopsock game for turbonerds who will all run like 3 accounts so they can group with themselves or whatever.\

Throw in some extra micro transactions and they might actually have a successful game here.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Ehud posted:

If this game fails then I’ll make a game for all of the mentally ill among us who want to camp 8 hours for a tunic that givens a 5% Heath Regen bonus

If you were able to get a fungi tunic after only eight hours I am super jealous.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah quite honestly making a turbonerd game that is intentionally aimed at that group (as opposed to Wildstar trying to be everything to everyone) isn’t a horrible idea for an MMO. To some extent that’s what EVE has done successfully for a long time.

I think it’s POSSIBLE that Brad isn’t too far off the mark here. I think there are easily a few thousand people who are still in love with classic Everquest 1 and would happily shell out $12 a month for a newer recreation of that. I mean, poo poo, P99 has thousands of registered users on at all times and that’s not counting the people who play the timelocked official EQ servers.

If Brad et al actually get this game out and it’s not an absolute unmitigated trash fire I think it could fit into a somewhat underserved MMO slot. It’s possible.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like that they are sticking to a known good game design (eq/p99) that works and just renaming/reskinning classes and races a bit.

Unlike legends of aria which takes a known good game design (uo), vaguely copies a few things and then shits out a mutant baby that nobody wants.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
There is undeniably a market for this type of game IMO. Yea they want the P1999 people but there are a lot of people who want this type of game who won't touch P1999 just because its a 20 year old game.

The problem for me has never been that, it's just that I have very little faith in them being to pull that type of game together.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the big problem with p1999 is everyone's max level and poo poo so the low level zones are dead as hell. only a few classes can solo so it's a huge bummer going to the places i enjoyed and there being one or two others at best.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

the big problem with p1999 is everyone's max level and poo poo so the low level zones are dead as hell. only a few classes can solo so it's a huge bummer going to the places i enjoyed and there being one or two others at best.

There are definitely tons of newbies and alts leveling up constantly. Uguk had 36 people in it last night, could barely find anything alive. Kurns is sitting around 20 people regularly. Field of Bone, Gfay, Crushbone, Oasis, Unrest, Mistmoore etc all consistently have a few dozen people in each of them during peak hours. I even saw multiple groups in Befallen the other night.

Some zones are more consistently empty, like Toxx, Qeynos, Blackburrow, there are preferred leveling zones that form an exp highway that you'll find most people at.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

EQ Reborn is a fairly new server that is basically the same as p99 except some more quality of life stuff like compass, map, faster health/mana regen and a choice of the newer char models. I have a level 5 guy in misty thicket and had a full group last night.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

what made eq great to me was small gains over a long period of time, i've played it since 1999 and still do, tried every single modern mmo that comes out but nothing ever captures that magic for me like original eq

i was always a solo player but i could still progress making small gains over a period of years by grinding day after day i could reach max level over a period of years

modern mmos treat max level as some kind of hurdle you have to hump over on opening weekend to get to the real endgame

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Kak posted:

EQ Reborn is a fairly new server that is basically the same as p99 except some more quality of life stuff like compass, map, faster health/mana regen and a choice of the newer char models. I have a level 5 guy in misty thicket and had a full group last night.

Ah, hell. You can’t tempt me to go back into lguk and farm for a manastone & guise.

I think...

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean this is just plain not accurate. The server is more popular it has ever been and there are lowbies literally everywhere. Honestly the problem now is not that zones are dead, it is that they are too crowded.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when i played a couple months ago the zones i used to level back in the day were dead as hell (the freeport >ec>ro>oasis loop). ec had no groups and ro had literally nobody.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I have a level 27 Shaman on p1999 and i stopped playing because I couldn't find consistent groups, and I never actually played EQ in its prime so I don't know the solo spots / alternative camps or the routes to get there, which makes it pretty hard to level. and then in the places where there are consistent groups (presumably because they're quantitatively the best camps at whatever level) are often full and have literal hours long waiting lists

I'd actually really like to be able to get to cap and see some of the stuff in Norrath but without lots of low level players its really hard

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sounds like a well-designed game :)

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Again you guys are way out of date. There has been a massive influx of players. Oasis had 30+ players the other night, Guk 30+, poo poo is so crowded.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

insider posted:

Again you guys are way out of date. There has been a massive influx of players. Oasis had 30+ players the other night, Guk 30+, poo poo is so crowded.

In a flare up of MMO brain during the time off for lunar new year, I got a bard to level 8 in Qeynos Hills on P99 and that poo poo was bumping.
Some high level druid was even purging every single rabid animal, too.

Then I uninstalled it, thankfully.

If there was a functioning Vanguard server I think a lot of attention for this would have dwindled, just need that extremely unique bard feel.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lord I'd love a functioning version of Vanguard with all the nonsense features like diplomacy and boats properly implemented. In the meantime I am going to reinstall p1999 and see if there are more groups for my Shaman, as I lucked into some extremely dope equipment that is kinda going to waste.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Frog Act posted:

Lord I'd love a functioning version of Vanguard with all the nonsense features like diplomacy and boats properly implemented. In the meantime I am going to reinstall p1999 and see if there are more groups for my Shaman, as I lucked into some extremely dope equipment that is kinda going to waste.

I missed out of Vanguard when it was initially released. I definitely remember following it pre-release, and would enjoy playing some pserver of it eventually just to see what it was about.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Vanguard was my favorite MMO experience to date despite everyone loving to poo poo on it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Vanguard was dope but I lost interest after trying for weeks to enjoy Diplomacy and getting nowhere.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Diplomacy was basically nonsense at launch like a lot of their awesome ideas for systems that never quite played out. despite the game being fundamentally unfinished, its the only thing since EverQuest that made me feel like I was actually dropping into a solid world in progress rather than a theme park

I've been reading the Pantheon forums and stuff though and I'm sure it is going to die immediately because they're all lunatics who are hostile to the idea of even having a map in the game at all, much less quest markers or something, which is going to alienate everyone not already level 60 on P1999

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Pantheon is never going to compete for the types of players that also play WoW. If you play Pantheon it's because you don't want hand holding. If you want hand holding there's literally 30 better games you could play. It makes sense they wouldn't compete in that space.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

Diplomacy was basically nonsense at launch like a lot of their awesome ideas for systems that never quite played out. despite the game being fundamentally unfinished, its the only thing since EverQuest that made me feel like I was actually dropping into a solid world in progress rather than a theme park

I've been reading the Pantheon forums and stuff though and I'm sure it is going to die immediately because they're all lunatics who are hostile to the idea of even having a map in the game at all, much less quest markers or something, which is going to alienate everyone not already level 60 on P1999

Just draw out your own map on a piece of paper ya big baby

Seriously though every mmog is such a trophy dispenser themepark for retard toddlers that pantheon has a good chance to fill the niche of hardcore pve mmog

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

soy posted:

Seriously though every mmog is such a trophy dispenser themepark for retard toddlers that pantheon has a good chance to fill the niche of hardcore pve mmog

Jesus christ

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

hayden. posted:

Pantheon is never going to compete for the types of players that also play WoW. If you play Pantheon it's because you don't want hand holding. If you want hand holding there's literally 30 better games you could play. It makes sense they wouldn't compete in that space.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Brad just wanted somebody to fund his fentanyl themed leaving las vegas and underestimated how much grogs are willing to pay to pretend they still had a promising future

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

He coulda scammed so much more off the first failed kickstarter if it wasn't completely devoid of content. If he'd faked a "gameplay video" of some lovely little zone made out of Unity store assets standing around doing nothing and included a bunch of thinly-veiled EQ references it would have broke a million, easy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will Pantheon come out this year? Maybe open beta at least? :(

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No to both.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Six AM posted:

Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

soy posted:

yet everyone uses the original EQ Atlas maps made by ONE SPOONY BARD. whats the difference