Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

nite_moogle posted:

Do you have the backpack that fits one box or two for the overhead? KR2 is the entire line. Asking for a friend who is trying plan an army around fitting in that backpack for Adepticon 2020.

The KR Backpack 2 holds two KR Card Cases (The cardboard cases) and can fit in the overhead of every plane I have flown on. (though to be fair you have to make sure you don't pack the back pocket with multiple rule books :P )

This lovely old video I did reviews it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2K5N2-mQs

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Those Atalan Jackals look amazing and I want them to use as Counts As Aberrants for my GSC necromunda gang. Does anyone know where I can get them at a reasonable price in Australia?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I got a Deathwatch Killteam to start collecting stuff for this game and this statline for the frag cannon in the booklet that comes with it has to be for regular 40k right?

Because that seems like abominable overkill for killteam.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The Frag Cannon is the same in 40k and Kill Team. Damage 1 really limits the flamer option, though that didn't stop my opponent when he rolled a 5 or 6 for every injury roll against my Gellerpox last weekend.

Ghost Hand posted:

The KR Backpack 2 holds two KR Card Cases (The cardboard cases) and can fit in the overhead of every plane I have flown on. (though to be fair you have to make sure you don't pack the back pocket with multiple rule books :P )

This lovely old video I did reviews it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2K5N2-mQs

You can even fit a KR3 in the overhead, at least on all the American Airlines flights I've been on. Springing for priority boarding is an option if you're worried that the overheads will be full. I've not been asked to check it at the gate, though I've done it voluntarily a few times when I know space is going to be an issue. KR foam is plenty safe enough to check, and I've got to wait for my other bag at the end anyway.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

I got a Deathwatch Killteam to start collecting stuff for this game and this statline for the frag cannon in the booklet that comes with it has to be for regular 40k right?

Because that seems like abominable overkill for killteam.

It's a great weapon in KT but the Infernus heavy bolter is better IMO

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Back in the early 2000s a guy at my FLGS (of blessed memory) had a beautiful mech guard army he carried in two long rifle cases.

Probably not the cheapest option though?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 1, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

Back in the early 2000s a guy at my FLGS (off blessed memory) had a beautiful mech guard army he carried in two long rifle cases.

They can be cheap. The problem is that they look like rifle cases.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Never put your models in gun cases. Sooner or later you'll need to leave it in your car, and that's an open invitation to a smash and grab.

...Followed by finding your smashed army dumped 50 yards away, where the gun thief figured out he was tricked.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

Never put your models in gun cases. Sooner or later you'll need to leave it in your car, and that's an open invitation to a smash and grab.

...Followed by finding your smashed army dumped 50 yards away, where the gun thief figured out he was tricked.

This is seriously extremely common.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is seriously extremely common.

It's one of the reasons I avoid hard cases in general. I like how KR uses a cardboard section to provide protection and also allow me to organize armies.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
With metal dudes, I use KR Multicase. Amazing intersection of price and quality.

For plastic dudes, I use sheet metal and magnets. Currently, I am using stacking plastic jewelry trays.

If I needed to fly with minis, I would use KR boxes in my carry on.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

I usually only use it for a crucial flubbed save or if a big gun with d6 shots rolls a 1.

Ah, I see you also use Doomsday Arks :negative:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Schadenboner posted:

Back in the early 2000s a guy at my FLGS (off blessed memory) had a beautiful mech guard army he carried in two long rifle cases.

I carried my rhino rush army for over a decade in rifle cases. I also spray painted them with gold stars to make them stand out from all the other rifle cases at tournies. Never had my car busted in for them but I never really left them over night out in the open. Had a cover blanket to hide all my firearms stuff anyways.

I took an apple box from a grocery store to a foam place and for like $30 in thick foam I made a 4 land raider box that I still use to store them from like 15 years ago.

The rifle case was great for land speeders and dreadnoughts too. There’s a lot of better options these days though.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The big KO Pelican cases they have at some tool stores (harbor freight, etc.) are good for really big models. For example, flyrants with glued wings. The biggest one is 6” deep.

I wish I had known about KR before I bought into battlefoam years ago. Both products are good, just wish I hadn't supported an rear end in a top hat.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpikeMcclane posted:

The big KO Pelican cases they have at some tool stores (harbor freight, etc.) are good for really big models. For example, flyrants with glued wings. The biggest one is 6” deep.

I wish I had known about KR before I bought into battlefoam years ago. Both products are good, just wish I hadn't supported an rear end in a top hat.

Did the battlefoam owner do a racism or something?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Im building both and also think ill try to put the stalker bolter with one of the combi weapons under it so I can have a second counts as combigun. The sprues only come with 1 bolter part for the combis.

It might look goofy but the other conversions to do it ive seen involve cutting the scope off and i dont want that, and also havent done any real kitbashing so id probably mess it up.

Quick question: You can take the xenophase blade with a combi on your watch sergeant right? The force builder gw has only lets you pick the phase as the primary weapon.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 1, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheBigAristotle posted:

Bring both! It's not like Deathwatch teams have a ton of bodies they need to leave point space for.

Sharkopath posted:

Im building both and also think ill try to put the stalker bolter with one of the combi weapons under it so I can have a second counts as combigun. The sprues only come with 1 bolter part for the combis.

It might look goofy but the other conversions to do it ive seen involve cutting the scope off and i dont want that, and also havent done any real kitbashing so id probably mess it up.

Quick question: You can take the xenophase blade with a combi on your watch sergeant right? The force builder gw has only lets you pick the phase as the primary weapon.

Lemme go bug SoggyGravy to post about both of these questions, he converted the final combiweapon and I'm pretty sure his Sgt has a xenophase and a combisomething.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 1, 2019

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Bring both! It's not like Deathwatch teams have a ton of bodies they need to leave point space for.

Oh, definitely. But if I HAD to make a choice, I'd lean Infernus if I didn't know anything about the mission. Hellfire shells is a fantastic strat, on a heavy especially

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

TheBigAristotle posted:

Did the battlefoam owner do a racism or something?

Something something sued other foam laser cutting companies to bully them, something something got really lovely at events. There's quite a few instances of it.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Lungboy posted:

Something something sued other foam laser cutting companies to bully them, something something got really lovely at events. There's quite a few instances of it.

What on earth would they sue some other foam company over?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

Reminds me of a recent episode of The Dollop

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/1087619009871269888

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Intellectual Property concerns over a patent he had on "cutting foam with a laser" or something like that. I don't even remember how it worked out, but the dude's previous company made baseball bats or something and he sued a competitor there too. He's just a litigious rear end in a top hat, and he got into a shouting match with someone's mom at NoVA too.

In related news I just bought a bunch of KR foam, and man that is a great product with a terrible website.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Not just "someone's" mom, Mike Brandt's mom. Aka "the guy who runs NoVa."

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fuegan posted:

Ah, I see you also use Doomsday Arks :negative:

Hah, no. But there's nothing more frustrating that rolling out the big tank killers only to get 1 shot that misses.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

a witch posted:

What are people in this thread using to transport armies? I've seen recommendations for KR Cases, but does anyone have experience with anything else?

I like Crystal Fortress (crystal-fortress.com). I used Table War cases for a while, but they are HUGE and heavy. Crystal Fortress carries a similar amount of stuff, but is much lighter. They are more fragile - Table War cases can take a beating. The other thing about the CF cases are that they make for good displays as well. The Table War cases don't do that as well, even when they have the glass window in front.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ANAmal.net posted:

In related news I just bought a bunch of KR foam, and man that is a great product with a terrible website.

People keep saying the new website is miles better than the old one which is terrifying to think about.

I went with KR because:
  • I'm needlessly paranoid about magnetized transportation
  • The combo carrying case/display case thing is something I wanted to explicitly avoid
  • Riding the New York City subway with a gun case is a non starter
  • They're much cheaper than a comparable Battlefoam case

I bought a K2 but I'm in the midst of exchanging it for a K3 because I underestimated the speed at which I would become a full-bore plastic addict.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Listen to all these scrub tier case problems. Plastic bin from walmart with tin sheets glued to the bottom & lid. Magnetize your models, bam. Great for traveling to the local shop.

Probably not good for an airplane, though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I transport my deathguard in a bucket full of toilet paper and I wrap a garbage bag around it if it's snowing or raining.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I transport my deathguard in a bucket full of toilet paper and I wrap a garbage bag around it if it's snowing or raining.

The hero we need

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That sucks about the Battlefoam guy, I have one of their cases from a while back and really like it. Do they still have an insanely permissive warranty?

Also, I bought the Tyranids KT box, and unlike the Wyches it really does feel anemic with what's there - and worse, expanding it seems like a pain because it feels like if I want any Termagants or Hormagaunts I'd also want a Warrior...which they only sell in three packs. Whatever, I ordered a cheapo box of Terms anyways to round out the team for now, I just wanna paint some scary bug knife monsters.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Haven't played this or paid attention to it in years but curious about the new rules and armies. I don't condone piracy, but years ago all the codex where on some websites, I wonder if that still exists.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Some people on reddit found some sketchy Russians sites and stuff but I don’t know if any safe torrent sites.

Also be careful friend. SA used to be a real hard rear end about files... although nowadays different sub forums play by their own rules. Some share files pretty freely and others don’t.

GW needs to make all the rules, including armies, free imo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yesterday I bought the little $35 GW mini-case so I can carry around just my Kill Team dudes and dice and whatever, did I gently caress up and waste my money?

Also I’m going to try and play my second KT game ever today, we’ll see how it goes! At this point I think I’m still in the “learn the mechanics” stage, I haven’t even given any thought to cool stratagems or whatever.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Inspector_666 posted:

People keep saying the new website is miles better than the old one which is terrifying to think about.

I went with KR because:
  • I'm needlessly paranoid about magnetized transportation
  • The combo carrying case/display case thing is something I wanted to explicitly avoid
  • Riding the New York City subway with a gun case is a non starter
  • They're much cheaper than a comparable Battlefoam case

I bought a K2 but I'm in the midst of exchanging it for a K3 because I underestimated the speed at which I would become a full-bore plastic addict.

Yeah I have a 1, 2 and 3 from KR mainly because the 3 wont fit as a carry on for flights. Sometimes I will check the single inside a piece of luggage with my clothes. I've never had a problem with that, but I am afraid to check an entire army. The 2 is really nice for tournaments you are traveling to via planes. But it cannot always hold the largest of models + the army. The 3 is nice locally too.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
It's weird why 40k doesn't go the direction of AoS regarding rules and unit cards. That game is far more open to new players and it's odd that each core game has a different ethos around what is essentially a business decision.

Xenomrph posted:

Yesterday I bought the little $35 GW mini-case so I can carry around just my Kill Team dudes and dice and whatever, did I gently caress up and waste my money?
If it carries your Kill Team around safely, it's doing its purpose and you didn't gently caress up.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

ANAmal.net posted:

It really is - and not only that - Daryl (the owner) is an absolute gentleman. I have told him many times directly that his web site is costing him business. I shudder to think of how many sales he loses as a result, because the product and people that work to sell it are a great group of folks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Some people on reddit found some sketchy Russians sites and stuff but I don’t know if any safe torrent sites.

Also be careful friend. SA used to be a real hard rear end about files... although nowadays different sub forums play by their own rules. Some share files pretty freely and others don’t.

GW needs to make all the rules, including armies, free imo

Sharing outright copies of copyrighted works is prohibited.

SA has an exception for out of print material and also "samplers" of MP3s so I let discussion on leaks and small snippets of material slide.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Also I’m going to try and play my second KT game ever today, we’ll see how it goes! At this point I think I’m still in the “learn the mechanics” stage, I haven’t even given any thought to cool stratagems or whatever.

I bought that kill team case when it came out and I get asked about it fairly often, I guess a lot of people didn't realize it was a launch run only. It's great for Deathwatch bc I can bring two separate Kill Teams in one convenient case (my elegant solution for tokens and dice? Gallon-sized Ziploc)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah I’m really loving the Shadespire case I bought. Has enough space for two teams, their decks and all the boards from both starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ghost Hand posted:

Yeah I have a 1, 2 and 3 from KR mainly because the 3 wont fit as a carry on for flights. Sometimes I will check the single inside a piece of luggage with my clothes. I've never had a problem with that, but I am afraid to check an entire army. The 2 is really nice for tournaments you are traveling to via planes. But it cannot always hold the largest of models + the army. The 3 is nice locally too.

I'll probably actually need 4 trays for 2k points worth of AdMech, but that 4th would pretty much just be for a Dunecrawler, so I figure I can work around it.