Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bust Rodd posted:

That was the MAIN reason I never gave the new Futurama seasons a chance. Something like the very first post-movies episode is about Leela and Zap being stranded on a deserted planet and they ended up boning and I was like “uh that’s literally all of Leela’s character development with both Zap and Fry completely chucked out the window for a weird fan fiction plot” and that’s when it occurred to me that current Futurama staff were all extremely online nerds my age and that they probably all had crude caveman drawings of Leela with giant boobies and it was just gonna be them writing the episodes they’d been dreaming of since they were 13.

Nothing I’ve seen from the movies or post movie seasons tells me I’m wrong.

I don't think this is the only problem zombie Futurama has, but it's certainly one of them. Between this and the general "not very funny" aspect, I couldn't keep my enthusiasm going past the first post-revival season.

Yeah there are a few GOOD episodes, but even those (like The Late Philip J Fry) aren't especially funny, I thought. And the one where the nerd writers came up with a new physics theorem to base the plot around was a hell of a stunt for a comedy cartoon, and I can be legit impressed by it, but I don't remember laughing at it very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

i feel gross just having read the wikipedia :catstare:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

i feel gross just having read the wikipedia :catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y22nvl6wGcs

Here you go, "enjoy"! There's even a special surprise at the end that is arbitrarily in this video that actually makes it relevant to this thread.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Did he stay with Luanne in the end? Because uh... that might work.

Yeah.

The Talking Simpsons guys did a KotH episode, and they said there was a live reading recently of a script with the whole cast, and Pamela Adlon does a good Luanne. So they might be able to keep Luanne in a reboot.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
the only actual highlights of that video were when the moon rock fell on fry and amy's "wait a minute...HOT lava?" line

otherwise, yikes. YIKES.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Futurama was already starting to disappear up its own rear end in season 4 and should've stayed dead

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Anytime futurama tried to do "Girls act like this but Guys act like THIS" humor it was really lame and cliche. They did a whole gender bender episode that was just the hackiest oldest "women be shoppin! guys won't ask for directions!" jokes coupled with deviantart genderswaps of all the characters. And people were defending it, like "oh it's funny because the jokes are supposed be lame! They're pointing out how lame those jokes are!"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Communist Walrus posted:

Futurama was already starting to disappear up its own rear end in season 4 and should've stayed dead

What revival is this not true for?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

brugroffil posted:

What revival is this not true for?

Twin Peaks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

dracky posted:

Anytime futurama tried to do "Girls act like this but Guys act like THIS" humor it was really lame and cliche. They did a whole gender bender episode that was just the hackiest oldest "women be shoppin! guys won't ask for directions!" jokes coupled with deviantart genderswaps of all the characters. And people were defending it, like "oh it's funny because the jokes are supposed be lame! They're pointing out how lame those jokes are!"

"I gotta get up five times a night to play Xbox" is a fantastic line though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

:hmmyes:

It will forever be the only revival that goes beyond “it was okay, I guess”.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The New MST3K is good. Maybe not peak Mike years good, but still pretty good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^New MST3K is better than most of the Joel years

dracky posted:

That episode loving suuuuuuucks.

They also refused to keep doing the "Tales of Interest" with the What If Machine, which were good episodes, so there's a bunch of fairly crap weird anthology episodes at the end of each new season. The last season was supposed to end on one of them, the Saturday morning cartoon anthology which is probably the worst episode of the entire series. It was so loving terrible that the network stepped in and said "No, you're airing this one early. We're not letting you go out like this"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mantis42 posted:

True this. About the only knock I have against it is that the theme song is a little too overproduced. And they're way too fast on the draw with the riffs for the first few episodes (come on guys, they're supposed to be reactions), but they calm down over time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

"I gotta get up five times a night to play Xbox" is a fantastic line though

Some of the worst futurama episodes still have some good lines

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They really found their own style in the second batch of new MST3K episodes. I do have a few complaints - Jonah goes for too many obvious "pop culture amirite?" jokes, and yeah sometimes they need to let off the gas a little, and yeah they do sometimes riff something before it happens, indicating that they have seen it before. BUT, I think I laugh far more during the new episodes than during the Mike years and definitely more than the Joel episodes.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Doing the Asylum movie Atlantic rim felt weird because asylum movies wink a little too hard at the audience to be riffed at.

Rewatching the really old Joel ones is interesting because for several seasons they reuse the same jokes a ton.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Rule 34: The Show

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Data Graham posted:

And the one where the nerd writers came up with a new physics theorem to base the plot around was a hell of a stunt for a comedy cartoon, and I can be legit impressed by it, but I don't remember laughing at it very much.

The Scruffy/Washpot subplot was really funny.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/yeardleysmith/status/1091743219442946049

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Did they dial it back after the first (revival) season? It seemed like it had potential, but the lines came way too fast, and a huge amount of the "riffs" were just practically them saying what's happening on screen.

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Mantis42 posted:

Agreed. Of course, my view may be biased as I was super stoked to get the show back.

Data Graham posted:

True this. About the only knock I have against it is that the theme song is a little too overproduced. And they're way too fast on the draw with the riffs for the first few episodes (come on guys, they're supposed to be reactions), but they calm down over time.

Agreed. I remember distinctly thinking "Ok guys, slow it down by at least 30%." It has gotten better, but they could stand to go a bit further.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Did they dial it back after the first (revival) season? It seemed like it had potential, but the lines came way too fast, and a huge amount of the "riffs" were just practically them saying what's happening on screen.

They dialed that back after the second episode of the revival, but yeah I would say the second revival season is even better than the first.

Their Mac N Me episode is probably in my top 10 of all the episodes I've seen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I just don't like mst3k anymore because I'm an old man now

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Even as a not old person I never liked it. It always felt like the bad movies were funny on their own to laugh at, I almost never would laugh at the commentary provided.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Some of the worst futurama episodes still have some good lines

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

That one in particular was my least favorite Futurama episode; it was a half hearted a-plot that's basically as biting as the "mapple" gag from the simpsons and a B-plot that was literally just the writers parading around the most detestably low effort pun possible as if it was the crowning joke of the series. (Leela has a boil thats like Susan Boyle! :haw:) I'm actually extremely forgiving about Futurama, I got a few giggles out of the movies, and hell, I'll watch em again if they happen to be on; but this was one of the worst things I've ever endured on TV. You could have easily convinced me they somehow got their hands on one of the zombie Simpsons scripts.

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

When Hank Scorpio chucks his moccasins away and asks Homer "you ever see a guy say goodbye to a shoe before" and Homer says "haha, yeah once", do you think Homer is referring to 5 seconds ago when he saw Hank chucking his shoes away?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Leela’s talking boil was a Family Guy plot, which had actually been an Invader Zim plotline like 4 years earlier.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Stooge posted:

When Hank Scorpio chucks his moccasins away and asks Homer "you ever see a guy say goodbye to a shoe before" and Homer says "haha, yeah once", do you think Homer is referring to 5 seconds ago when he saw Hank chucking his shoes away?

yes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Filthy Haiku posted:

That one in particular was my least favorite Futurama episode; it was a half hearted a-plot that's basically as biting as the "mapple" gag from the simpsons and a B-plot that was literally just the writers parading around the most detestably low effort pun possible as if it was the crowning joke of the series. (Leela has a boil thats like Susan Boyle! :haw:) I'm actually extremely forgiving about Futurama, I got a few giggles out of the movies, and hell, I'll watch em again if they happen to be on; but this was one of the worst things I've ever endured on TV. You could have easily convinced me they somehow got their hands on one of the zombie Simpsons scripts.

Absolutely, I usually forget that both plots are from the same episode because I haven't rewatched it even once when revisiting the newer episodes. But that one line is among my all time favorites.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Filthy Haiku posted:

That episode sucks, but "shut up and take my money" and "Scruffy gon' turn a reg'lar board into a divin' board" make me laugh.

I don't mind the Futurama revival as much as others. There are a couple of real stinkers, but even the very worst bits (Attack of the Killer App, The Butterjunk Effect) is on par with or better than a lot of the Simpsons in the last 10 years - and the high points (The Late Philip J Fry, Meanwhile) are on par with or better than the best of pretty much any animated show post Golden Age-Simpsons.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stooge posted:

Personally, I think it would have been funnier it wasn't referencing that.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Stooge posted:

it was when he saw Hank chuck his shoes away

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stooge posted:

No. The guys who do the Talkin' Simpsons podcast asked one of the writers of that episode, and it was confirmed that Homer is talking about some other time he saw a guy say goodbye to a shoe.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Der Shovel posted:

No. The guys who do the Talkin' Simpsons podcast asked one of the writers of that episode, and it was confirmed that Homer is talking about some other time he saw a guy say goodbye to a shoe.

That's also funnier anyway

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He specifically said "before"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Der Shovel posted:

How did they confirm this?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's funny either way. That's why it's a good joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

How did they confirm this?

By talking to one of the writers?