Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's going to be a problem in general for anyone in the public eye, or even just trying to get hired for normal jobs. I'm glad social media wasn't around when I was a teenager--I wouldn't have posted anything like "genocide the gays!!" but literally every kid/teen is an idiot at some point and having the ability to capture and store it for all time in the public arena is troubling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

I don't know what's even going on with this loving game anymore.

WotC wants to run tournaments on their hearthstone clone, without programming anything related to running tournaments on their hearthstone clone.

They also want to expand the circle of people who place at the top of tournaments from the same crusty dudes over and over again, but don't seem very good at doing it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
WotC is trying to get computer gamers to leave their house and meet people IRL.

This has been met with resistance :v

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Aranan posted:

It's going to be a problem in general for anyone in the public eye, or even just trying to get hired for normal jobs. I'm glad social media wasn't around when I was a teenager--I wouldn't have posted anything like "genocide the gays!!" but literally every kid/teen is an idiot at some point and having the ability to capture and store it for all time in the public arena is troubling.

There has to be a distinction made between is going to be a problem and ought to be a problem. We've all heard the cautionary tales about someone losing their shot at a prestigious position or scholarship or whatever because dumb pictures existed of them at a kegger in high school, etc., and I think any reasonably forgiving human being understands that that's bullshit.

Or something like the woman who lost her NASA internship for telling someone to "suck my dick and balls" on Twitter, which is admittedly more questionable vis-a-vis professional etiquette but should still be universally understood to not be on the same level as violent hatred.

Anyway, my point is that, while there's a definite problem of the sort that you allude to and I've been saying for a while that very soon here we're all going to have to figuratively sit down and make a gentleperson's agreement not to worry about social media posts of the standard 'idiot kid' or even 'idiot adult' type, I don't think it belongs at all in the same conversation as what Mafter apparently posted. Not even something like Justine Sacco's infamous AIDS joke would belong there-- yes, the latter was rooted in casual prejudice, but still firmly on the 'I'm not a vile human being, just an unthinking idiot' side of the wall, in my opinion.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Here's a question for the folks that sell or buy cards online a lot.

So when you get cards out of a pack there sometimes are little white dots right at the edges of the cards. I assume that these are like cutting points for the machines and if the blades aren't 100% sharp those white dots sometimes stick around a little bit. Does this influence the condition or does it still go as "near mint" because it's what wotc is giving us from the factory?

I'm wondering about this since I don't really want someone to throw a fit after I sold them a card I listed as near mint since it went straight from booster to sleeve/binder but has those white dots at the edges

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Situations like these underpin the importance of the right to erasure. Yes if you're popular enough someone will screencap your dumbest tweet and throw it into the endless hall of mirrors, but for most of us a button that says "nuke my history" would be great.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
AFAIK that's generally considered "near mint", yeah. If you tried to sell it to a collector who was wanting an actual "mint condition" card they'd be justifiably mad though.

In general not every card that comes out of a pack is going to be mint condition, which is why all the big online retailers call everything near-mint instead.

Note that if there are large imperfections (like if they're obvious at a glance and you don't need to look closely) then it could count as lightly-played instead.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for the input! And yeah that's kinda what I expected. I usually try to be real thorough with descriptions and pictures when it comes to selling things on the net but I haven't really sold many singles that are worth more than five bucks so I just wanted to be prepared in a sense. Got a bunch of extra fetches from khans and shocks from rtr for instance that I'm looking to move sometime this year and I expect people to be kinda picky with staples like those

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 1, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crackbone posted:

This is going to start happening more and more frequently, honestly. Anybody you want to employee/sponsor has 5+ years of multiple social media posts, and most companies don't have the tools to scour all of it for problematic statements.

people need to learn what college students in the last decade learned about facebook: the instant you're looking to get a job, your social media needs to go private

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

people need to learn what college students in the last decade learned about facebook: the instant you're looking to get a job, your social media needs to go private

It baffles me that people attach their real names to social media honestly. Like facebook is one thing (and I hardly ever use mine, it's usually just to keep in contact with elusive family members), but every other social media account I have has no trace of my real name for employers to track.

Especially in today's day and age where people will straight up dox you if they don't like you? Hell no, man.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Crackbone posted:

This is going to start happening more and more frequently, honestly. Anybody you want to employee/sponsor has 5+ years of multiple social media posts, and most companies don't have the tools to scour all of it for problematic statements.

Well if you're not a horrible person you have less to worry about, but yeah it's just a rule of thumb now that you have to be proactively managing your social media presence. It's stupid easy to find accounts, even if you don't use your real name, and get around privacy settings.

Best practices is just clear anything off any platform that you wouldn't want your boss to see, and delete anything older than 1-2 years regularly. Especially if you get put in a position to suddenly have thousands of people paying attention to you. It's a pain, but it's doable and it's way better than getting a bunch of frantic calls, texts, emails, etc about something someone dug up that you now have to explain and hope it doesn't derail your entire life.

Framboise posted:

It baffles me that people attach their real names to social media honestly. Like facebook is one thing (and I hardly ever use mine, it's usually just to keep in contact with elusive family members), but every other social media account I have has no trace of my real name for employers to track.

Especially in today's day and age where people will straight up dox you if they don't like you? Hell no, man.

An increasing number of jobs require you to have a social media presence under your real name. The problem is that people forget what the risks are of just putting stuff out there and assuming no one will ever try to use it against you.

I'm not surprised that WOTC didn't vet these people beyond a glance, but it'll be interesting to see how they respond to this. Hopefully they cut ties with this one doofus and find a better replacement.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 1, 2019

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
It would also had been very helpful to her case if she had chosen to apologize for her little genocide faux pas at any point between the time she made the original tweet and the day she realized there might be negative consequences for it. That's generally been the way people signal the wish to unsay something they've said, even before the days of twitter.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gustav posted:

It would also had been very helpful to her case if she had chosen to apologize for her little genocide faux pas at any point between the time she made the original tweet and the day she realized there might be negative consequences for it. That's generally been the way people signal the wish to unsay something they've said, even before the days of twitter.

the new hotness is saying "wow can't believe how much I've grown in the nine months since that tweet. i'm actually glad people found that because this can become a teachable moment about forgiveness". or the Joy-Ann Reid style of blaming everything on time-traveling hackers. apologizing or admitting any sort of wrong-doing is a rookie move

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ah yes the old days of... 2015... when it was acceptable to discuss the mass murder of homosexals

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Buffis posted:

I mean, it's probably worth mentioning that he went top8 at a MtG GP a few months ago.

I didn't know that!

moush posted:

Savjz tried Artifact first, but moved to Arena once he saw it would be better for his career. Looks like it paid off and I can't imagine there's anyone out there who deserves it more.

This is dumb though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's no way she's not booted within a few hours.

They'll probably be a bit more careful picking guests next time.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
What’s the big deal if a dude wants to play different games? I’m sure I’d get burned out as hell grinding arena all day for viewers and want some variety.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Marketing New Brain posted:

What’s the big deal if a dude wants to play different games? I’m sure I’d get burned out as hell grinding arena all day for viewers and want some variety.

Nothing. Streamers getting in early on a game is what defines them as having a job or being loving RICH. Ninja didn't get gently caress you money because he is great streamer. He got gently caress you money because he went balls deep into fortnight from the start and kept going well after the rush ended as other streamers got tired of the game.

These people stream where the money is.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Gustav posted:

This is a weird take to me. There are plenty of reasons to not accept her apology, but that she didn't spontaneously apologize for tweets that she possibly didn't remember making and a single person interacted with is probably the worst of them.

If she had remembered and was sorry she'd have just deleted them.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 1, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm not surprised that WOTC didn't vet these people beyond a glance, but it'll be interesting to see how they respond to this. Hopefully they cut ties with this one doofus and find a better replacement.

the tweet wasn't in english which i would bet is why it slipped through if they did :v:

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Which deck should I use to throw away gold in the Competitive Metagame queue on Arena?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Another week, another podcast. Somehow not yet wealthy. Please listen.

The Dive Down - Ep 7: When In Doubt, Burn 'Em Out!

We go over the latest Modern Challenge and the new Pod, talk about Stanislav's awesome finish at the SCG Classic, then dive down into a discussion of the latest experiments with Burn.

Our website: https://thedivedown.fireside.fm/
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dive-down/id1447762473
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6bQlj5dnv3u1bHdsEprHzp?si=dVOgnBud

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yoked posted:

Which deck should I use to throw away gold in the Competitive Metagame queue on Arena?

Something that has a good winrate against control is probably your best bet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This is a weird take to me. There are plenty of reasons to not accept her apology, but that she didn't spontaneously apologize for tweets that she possibly didn't remember making and a single person interacted with is probably the worst of them.

If she had remembered and was sorry she'd have just deleted them.
If you're the kind of person to say "genocide the gays" on social media you're generally not also the kind of person to forget saying such a thing, nor are you the kind of person to have a change of heart without posting said change of heart.

Nobody has a one-off moment of bigotry.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yoked posted:

My instinct is that there'll be a lot of Sultai so I'd go with a Pteramander Drakes list to start.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

We go over the latest Modern Challenge and the new Pod, talk about Stanislav's awesome finish at the SCG Classic, then dive down into a discussion of the latest experiments with Burn.

Extremely mad Stanislav didn’t credit his luxurious lodgings for his finish

I went 3-6 lol

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Extremely mad Stanislav didn’t credit his luxurious lodgings for his finish

I went 3-6 lol

He's so rude.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShaneB posted:

Just saying you guys kick rear end. I've been thinking about how to retool my burn deck for skewer/light up and what else it really needs to play. You guys cover all the stuff I need as a clueless noob to have a fighting chance at not wasting a fuckton of cash getting cards that aren't going to pan out.

As a related aside, I am not nearly invested enough in the game to spring for blackcleave cliffs for Rakdos burn. My next tier replacements are looking to be either sulfurous springs or dragonskull summits. Which of those do you guys see as better in a burn deck, or is there another RB land I should be looking at?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rkajdi posted:

Just saying you guys kick rear end. I've been thinking about how to retool my burn deck for skewer/light up and what else it really needs to play. You guys cover all the stuff I need as a clueless noob to have a fighting chance at not wasting a fuckton of cash getting cards that aren't going to pan out.

As a related aside, I am not nearly invested enough in the game to spring for blackcleave cliffs for Rakdos burn. My next tier replacements are looking to be either sulfurous springs or dragonskull summits. Which of those do you guys see as better in a burn deck, or is there another RB land I should be looking at?

Of those two, definitely Sulfurous because you can use it for colored mana on turn 1. Blood Crypt is better than both though if you're not already running it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Buffis posted:

I play a few foreign language cards (for price reasons).
For stuff like lands, it's never a problem.

For cards that actually do something that's not immediately obvious for all players, having a printout of the card in English with you can be nice (casual REL).

Goblin lore was about half the price in Italian compared to English, so my Hollow One deck play these...

When you draw lots of cards
then pitch to your 'yard
thats a-Lore-ay

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

Of those two, definitely Sulfurous because you can use it for colored mana on turn 1. Blood Crypt is better than both though if you're not already running it.

I was going to say exactly this.
Run 4xBlood Crypt and then the cheapest fetches you can find that fetch mountain or swamp (I think thats Bloodstained Mire and Polluted Delta right now, but whatever you have).
Then Sulfurous instead of Cliff should be fine.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Salvor_Hardin posted:

then pitch to your 'yard
thats a-Lore-ay

lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Salvor_Hardin posted:

then pitch to your 'yard
thats a-Lore-ay

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Did you see we spent an entire segment on your gosh darn mill poo poo?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

rkajdi posted:

This is great for me to hear and share with the other guys. Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Did you see we spent an entire segment on your gosh darn mill poo poo?

I haven't listened to the episode yet!

Also I've already changed up the list I sent you lol. Just what I wrote about potentially doing in my message, with the 15th SB card becoming a Torpor Orb since I keep getting paired against Saheeli/Kiki decks and Humans.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

I haven't listened to the episode yet!

Also I've already changed up the list I sent you lol. Just what I wrote about potentially doing in my message, with the 15th SB card becoming a Torpor Orb since I keep getting paired against Saheeli/Kiki decks and Humans.

We didn't go card by card, it was really just something fun to talk about in the wind down part, and give us a little platform to talk about "brews" and what defines a "real deck" etc.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does Chromatic Black still work or has the new Allegiance meta pushed it out of any sort of viability? Is there an updated list?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Bloodghast comes back
and he's here to attack
that's a-lore-aaaay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C-Euro posted:

Already am. I'm keeping the fetch/shock strategy from standard burn, so I just sub blood crypt for sacred foundry. I just need to figure out what to sub in for inspiring vantage.

quote:

I was going to say exactly this.
Run 4xBlood Crypt and then the cheapest fetches you can find that fetch mountain or swamp (I think thats Bloodstained Mire and Polluted Delta right now, but whatever you have).
Then Sulfurous instead of Cliff should be fine.

See, I wasn't doing that. Just 2 shocks, and a slightly different fetch package (bloodstained mire & wooded foothills) so I can always drag up a mountain once I have a black source. I remember seeing a Saffron Olive (?, not sure, it's the guy with the odd annoying voice) making a video about how 4 shocks in modern for two colors is just too much for almost all decks.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 1, 2019