Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Shortly after this comic book was released in 1993, Mr. T did a signing at a nearby comic shop. I called every person I knew, but Mr. T was long past his A-Team heyday and nobody wanted to go with me. I didn't want to go by myself, so I didn't go at all. Looking back, it is one of my greatest regrets in life right next to the time I skipped a 2002 Wesley Willis concert even though it was only three blocks from my apartment. (He died the following year.)

Anyway, I found a signed copy of T-Force #1 on ebay for pretty cheap. It's not the same, but it'll have to do until someone invents a time machine.

While I was on a roll, I got these as well:

Speaking of comics, RIP Stan Lee. Here are a couple of old Marvel paperbacks I picked up last week:

The third Space Cat reissue arrived. The final book in the series is released tomorrow.

Here is a big coffee table book about Troma Entertainment. I am looking forward to reading it cover to cover when I get home from work tonight.

I read this in a single sitting. It's not my favorite Jason Starr book, but it's pretty good.

I judged this book by it's cover and purchased it without knowing anything about it. Hopefully that works out for me.

The title says it all:

Finally, I cannot remember who originally posted this book and don't have time to search right now, but I have been looking for a copy ever since and finally found a cheap one.

This one was tossed in for free:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I saw this on ebay the other day, and figured it was worth posting here. It's the original artwork for an anti-communist comic book commissioned by the CIA shortly after the 1983 U.S. invasion of Grenada. The $10,000 asking price is way out of my price range, although it's a bargain compared to the $35K (about $85K with inflation) paid by the CIA!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-C-I-A-PAID-35-000-FOR-ORIGINAL-ART-FOR-ANTI-COMMUNIST-GIVEAWAY-GRENADA/253997424842

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Finally, I cannot remember who originally posted this book and don't have time to search right now, but I have been looking for a copy ever since and finally found a cheap one.

Woop! The man is a lunatic. Enjoy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Some more recent Goodwill pickups

^didn't buy this but I liked it.

^This goes great with the Foxfire Book I posted months ago.

This is a recipe book with a ton of recipes provided by 60s celebrities:

^this one was missing the dust jacket, so here's the title page

And lastly, a stack of vintage Chick Tracts that I got for 25 cents!

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Foxfire? Goofy old books I found in a used book store when baked as heck for 100 please.

https://imgur.com/a/1VtDlCJ

that nixon book is pre-watergate so yeah, interesting read

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

Some more recent Goodwill pickups

^didn't buy this but I liked it.

^This goes great with the Foxfire Book I posted months ago.

This is a recipe book with a ton of recipes provided by 60s celebrities:

^this one was missing the dust jacket, so here's the title page

And lastly, a stack of vintage Chick Tracts that I got for 25 cents!

Nice haul!!

FYI - All of those Chick tracts are from the early 80s. That particular version of Are Roman Catholics Christian? usually goes for about $30 or so on ebay. Same with the copies of Who, Me? with the white cover. Support Your Local Jew and that version of Why No Revival? are long out of print and sell for about $10 each.
My Name?... In the Vatican? is a rare promo tract, and the version with the white cover is especially rare. I paid $50 for that one a couple of years ago.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

FYI - All of those Chick tracts are from the early 80s. That particular version of Are Roman Catholics Christian? usually goes for about $30 or so on ebay. Same with the copies of Who, Me? with the white cover. Support Your Local Jew and that version of Why No Revival? are long out of print and sell for about $10 each.
My Name?... In the Vatican? is a rare promo tract, and the version with the white cover is especially rare. I paid $50 for that one a couple of years ago.
Thanks for the info! I did some cursory searching and didn't find much about which ones were worth anything, but I'm not surprised you have some useful knowledge.

Not pictured were also a few tracts from Billy Graham titled "Steps for christian living" and one from Jerrold Nichols "You can be sure!", and "Church... Can you afford to miss it?" by the Maryland Tract Society. They're not nearly as fun to read as the Chick ones.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 3, 2018

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

Thanks for the info! I did some cursory searching and didn't find much about which ones were worth anything, but I'm not surprised you have some useful knowledge.

Not pictured were also a few tracts from Billy Graham titled "Steps for christian living" and one from Jerrold Nichols "You can be sure!", and "Church... Can you afford to miss it?" by the Maryland Tract Society. They're not nearly as fun to read as the Chick ones.

Glad to help! Here are a few things I've discovered through years of vigilant devotion to collecting Chick tracts:

- The best way to find out what certain Chick tracts are worth is to see what they've recently sold for on ebay. Unfortunately, the rarest tracts don't come up for sale often, if ever, so it's tough to gauge the value.

- Most of the tracts have multiple variations (cover color, interior artwork, etc.) and/ or text revisions, and while most of them don't affect the price all that much, there are plenty of exceptions.

- There have been a couple of different types of codes on the back covers that can be used to figure out the print date, but a good rule of thumb is that any tract with "By J.T.C." on the front cover was printed before the very early 90s. Tracts with just "J.T.C" on the cover are newer than that.

- Tracts go in and out of print regularly. Some are out of print and haven't been reprinted in upwards of 30 years, but can still be ordered in large batches (10,000+) from Chick Publications. There are others that have been pulled out of print permanently for various reasons, and those can get pretty pricey based on the rarity.

- The earliest tracts from the 60s were printed in an assortment of different sizes, all larger than the current versions. As a general rule, any tract larger than a regular tract is worth a decent amount. The low-end of the larger tracts would be a version of The Beast published up until the early 80s which usually sells for anywhere between $20 - $50. The high-end would be a 1964 version of Somebody Loves Me. I've never even seen a picture of a copy of that one, and have no clue what it'd sell for. I'd guess somewhere between $500 and $2,000.

- Promotional tracts can sell for huge amounts of money depending on age, means of distribution, and duration of print run. A copy of the 1994 promo The Secret Weapon sold for almost $1,000 when it came up on ebay a few years ago. There are some from the 1970s that would almost certainly sell for much more than that.

- One of the best aspects of collecting Chick tracts is that it's not very popular, so a complete collection of the basic tracts won't set you back too much. Also, sellers often have no idea what they have, so some amazing deals can be found in Buy It Now auctions. My most valuable tract is a promo from 1971, and as far as I know it is the only copy known to exist intact (there's a reprint from The Jack Chick Fan Club based on a copy that was cut up and stuck in a scrapbook at Chick Publications). I got it as part of a huge lot of Chick tracts in a Buy it Now ebay auction a few years ago, along with a whole bunch of other super rare tracts. It cost me $11 including shipping!!

Take a look at this auction from last Monday (which I sadly missed out on):

This Book Has Been Banned is a slightly oversized promo from 1969 that rarely shows up on ebay, and usually sells for a few hundred dollars when it does. Those copies of Escape! and The Poor Revolutionist are also fairly rare and typically sell for between $30 - $50 each. If that copy of The Poor Revolutionist is from 1971 instead of 1972, it'd sell for about $100.

I've posted at length about all 299 tracts (so far) in the Jack Chick thread. These posts give some more details on the most valuable tracts from your recent score, but feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Tract #10 - Who, Me? (1969). Like This Book Has Been Banned!, the original version is a little bit larger than later tracts, 3" x 5.25".

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Tract #49 - My Name?...In the Vatican? (1980)

Top: Mail-order version. Bottom: Retail version.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Tract #51 - Are Roman Catholics Christians? (1981)

Above: 1981 white text mail-order and green-text retail versions.

Above: 1985 revision and current version.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I was digging through one of my bookshelves last night and took a few pictures. I don't think I've posted any of these, although it's tough to keep track at this point.

I'm a sucker for these checkout line true crime specials. I did not realize this was $14 until I brought it home. Oops.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I want to read the story of the woman with too many guns.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tiggum posted:

I want to read the story of the woman with too many guns.

If you like mystery/crime, those Black Lizard collections are worth picking up. I've got their collection of locked-room mystery stories, and it's great. (And huge.)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I was watching the 1975 movie Sheba, Baby last week and started thinking about how I'd like to read an autobiography by Pam Grier. Happily, she wrote one:

My girlfriend asked for this for Christmas. It is apparently a re-imagining of Snagglepuss as a gay playwright during the McCarthy era:

The first appearance of Black Lightning, in a 1977 fan zine:

Vintage GLOW merchandise has started to skyrocket in price due to the popularity of the TV show. I was lucky enough to find these magazines for cheap:

A novelization of the underrated sequel House II:

This two-issue comic series from 1986-1987 is a beautiful capsule of those ridiculous times:

Not a book, but I don't care. I learned about these 0 Euro notes with Karl Marx on the front in some other thread, and promptly ordered a few:

After much searching, I found a couple of the banned Pez guns from the 80s. They still work!!

Some other Christmas gifts I bought for myself while shopping for others:

Remote-control Straight Arrow from 1977:

Jar Jar Sphinx tote bag:

Toilet Duck apron:

Totally unrelated to books, but I picked up one of the legendary Rowdy Trout dog toys last year (maybe 2016). I don't think I ever posted pictures of it:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

My girlfriend bought me two new music-related books for Christmas, seemingly at random. I'm not really a fan of Against Me! or Judas Priest (despite a deep appreciation for Rob Halford), but these both look fairly interesting:

More fodder for my unholy fascination with Mitchell, South Dakota's Corn Palace:

I only recently learned that there was a Godzilla comic book published by Marvel from 1977-1979. This is a compilation of all 24 issues:

Another fine autobiography from Holloway House:

Anti-communist comic books from 1961, 1962, and 1979:

1961:

1962:

1979:

This one was expensive back in the day. Adjusting for inflation, $5 in 1979 was about $17 in 2018 dollars.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Somewhere around here I have a Corn Palace beaded belt from the 80s (or earlier). I've never been there though. Maybe someday...

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I bought this today:

1966 edition with a stained, yellowed paper cover, and a ton of dust bunnies on the top that I had to blow away.

$5

They also had

But I did not want to spend $25 on a crazy conspiracy theory book.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 30, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I used to work at a 3D printing store and helped a dude fix his 3D printer and install some software on his laptop. He came back the next day and gifted me 3 of his self published books, signed with lovely notes in them, a promise that I'd be dedicated to in his next book and a box of chocolate liquors.

The books are a play, an instructional manual on how to mathematically cut any polyhedral shape out of wood dowels of any diameter using only an angle grinder and a description of a computer game.

This one is out of the play, it describes how to cut the facets of the ruby that stars in it.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Would so hang out with this beautiful maniac and grind dowels.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

big dyke energy posted:

I bought this today:

1966 edition with a stained, yellowed paper cover, and a ton of dust bunnies on the top that I had to blow away.

$5

They also had

But I did not want to spend $25 on a crazy conspiracy theory book.

I have never heard of either of these, but have added both to my mental list of books to be on the lookout for.

The Amazon reviews for Behold a Pale Horse are hilariously paranoid! I imagine there is a great deal of overlap between fans of this book and those QAnon weirdos.

https://www.amazon.com/Behold-Horse-Milton-William-Cooper/dp/0929385225

Erisian Automata posted:

Would so hang out with this beautiful maniac and grind dowels.

I second this.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Behold a Pale Horse is probably one of the more well known of the nutcase books out there. I see it get checked out still at the library every now and then. Our copy has the same cool art on the cover as that one.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are the fruits of a lunchtime trip to the local Salvation Army book room:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

A Strange Aeon posted:

"The wonders of the little world, or, A general history of man in six books : wherein by many thousands of examples is shewed what man hath been from the first ages of the world to these times, in respect of his body, senses, passions, affections, his virtues and perfections, his vices and defects, his quality, vocation and profession, and many other particulars not reducible to any of the former heads : collected from the writings of the most approved historians, philosophers, physicians, philologists and others / by Nath. Wanley"

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A67489.0001.001/1:12.9?rgn=div2;view=toc

This is kind of cheating, but I can't find an affordable version of this book--I can't even seem to find a way to get this link onto my Kindle, but it's full of some pretty wonderful stuff--just check out the table of contents:

Chap. 1. Of such Infants as have been heard to cry while they were in the Womb of their Mothers.

Chap. 36. Of the different and unusual ways some Men have come to their Deaths.

CHAP. XVII. Of the long Sleeps of some, and of others that have been able to subsist for months and years without it, or were difficultly brought to it.

The style of writing I just adore--I just wish some of the Latin was translated, but that would probably take a new edition which will never come out. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the Anatomy of Melancholy, one of my favorite bedtime books to just page through.

This is really amazing, thank you!

I've been reading this pretty fervently the past few nights.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I picked up another handful of old grocery-store-checkout-line booklets. I don't know why I like these dumb things so much, but I do.

The recent Kids in the Hall biography that I posted mentioned that Scott Thompson wrote a comic book about his ridiculous businessman character Danny Husk. I am looking forward to reading this as soon as I get a chance. Apparently there is a sequel, but I don't think it was ever published.

Another issue of GLOW magazine. I wasn't really into WWF wrestling when I was a kid, but I liked watching GLOW. I vaguely recall that Sylvester Stallone's mom was the host. Good times.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Miraculously scored a complete, dust-jacketed 1915 edition of The Call of the Wild on eBay for $10 to replace a literally rotten one that I had found in my grandmother's house.

Edit: I didn't take the jacket off earlier, because it's extremely delicate, but I knew that people would be curious, so here are two more pictures:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 27, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Finally made it to the end. Great thread!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Wait... so this is a novelization... of a movie... that's based on a book.

Why the hell not just read the original book?

In some cases, the movie is significantly different, and could even be better in some ways as a screenplay -> novel.
The first that comes to mind is The Spy Who Loved Me

My mum had this; she won it in primary school and told me to be drat careful with it when I was a kid.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Speaking of visitors, my girlfriend's brother's family is staying in our apartment for a few days so I haven't been able to dig into our bookshelves to look for more crap for this thread (nor the Sci-Fi cover one), but I'll get to it eventually. I did get a pciture of one book I haven't posted (or read) yet, so that'll have to do for now.

Is this just the middle third of Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Sorry in advance for the over-reliance on Mac stuff.

I love these old computer books when everything was full of fun and optimism.
This was actually typeset on a Mac and ImageWriter and made it out before the end of 1984.

Another fun book, from around the fight back for the Mac era.

Somewhat rare vanity coffee table book going though the history of industrial design.

Now, that's out of the way:

Pretty sure I saw this on SA first so when it popped up at a book sale (in the kid's section, no less) I had to grab it.

Yeah, my wife is older than me, why do you ask?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here's an unwieldy 12"x15" book by Sean Tejaratchi of Liartown USA/ Crap Hound magazine fame:

I've read this, but never owned a copy. I am blessed to have seen Motorhead live, and it was rad:

~Coxy posted:

Is this just the middle third of Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?

I haven't read it yet, so I'm not sure how it compares to The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. From what I can tell this one is specifically about what it was like living in Germany during the rise of the nazis. It's been a long time since I read Rise and Fall, but I recall it being more of a general history of the nazis. I've enjoyed every William Shirer book I've read, but they tend to be very long and detailed, so they definitely require a commitment of time. Nightmare Years is about 650 pages, while Rise and Fall is roughly twice that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've read this, but never owned a copy. I am blessed to have seen Motorhead live, and it was rad:

I saw Motorhead twice. Once was at Bumbershoot and Lemme started off by commenting about how he hadn't been up that early in a very long time (it was about 10am).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I never thought I'd own one of these first edition Holloway House paperbacks of Iceberg Slim's autobiography, but I saw one selling for about 1/10 of what they normally go for and jumped on it:

I also got a small lot of other smutty 60's paperbacks, but I need to go through my pictures and see how many of the covers are too filthy to post. I've never used NSFW tags, so I guess I'll figure out how to do that today!

In other news, I recently picked up this small religious tract written by an astronaut in the late 60's:

Not to be confused with this book:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

More Than Earthlings: an astronaut's thoughts for Christ-centered living by James B. Irwin

Here is the very rare first edition of the second issue of Jack Chick's The Crusaders comic book. The cover was drastically altered after this. I've been collecting Chick tracts for 20 years and this is the first time I've ever managed to score one of these. And it was only $3!!

Speaking of silly comics, I also picked up the 9th and final issue of The Adventures of Kool-Aid Man from 1990. Perhaps I'll post the others later, as it's taken me well over two decades to complete my stupid collection of these. (I play the long game when it comes to collecting stuff.)

More later.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Did anyone else watch the show Detroiters? It was the funniest show on TV, so of course Comedy Central cancelled it.

Anyway, they always had a lot of background gags such as fake books. This is my favorite example:

I found the website of the graphic designer who made them:

https://www.davidboydfilm.com/books-magazines/

I was bored at work the other day and made a laminated copy to stick over some random hardcover book on my shelves:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

As promised, here comes the smut!

There's no synopsis on the back of this one, so I assume the plot is non-existent. Also, the "illustrations" are just a bunch of grainy B&W pictures of topless women tacked on at the end of the book.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/eZOlJcZ.jpg:nws:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Unexpurgated is a good word. I just want to let everybody know while I remember.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I demand you locate a copy of Loins for Loan.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pershing posted:

I demand you locate a copy of Loins for Loan.

It does look like a literary masterpiece:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I played a two year game of Toon with basically Kool-Aid Man as Juggernaut. His magic-blocking helm was a plastic top with a straw keeping his, well, “contents” from spilling out.

He was loved by children everywhere who gathered near Juggoman and if the fight had been longer than ten minutes the kids would jump in and beat J’s enemies to death.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Front Page Sex is a great title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The third Space Cat reissue arrived. The final book in the series is released tomorrow.

I loved these books as a kid! Especially the one with the planet of mini-dinosaurs (because I also loved dinosaurs).

Alas, I don't have the space or money for much of a personal library right now, but here's something cool I came across at my college library:

It's a collection of student bloopers along the lines of this essay but all about geology.