Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm still convinced the marcus thing was intended to be creepy and hosed up and will loudly yell DEATH OF THE AUTHOR at anyone who tries to suggest otherwise to me. As a horror story, I don't mind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I just looked up a Marcus summary on the B5 wiki and I feel less whole for it. :aaaaa:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wizzardstaff posted:

I just looked up a Marcus summary on the B5 wiki and I feel less whole for it. :aaaaa:

Once you read that story for a while you're never quite... whole again

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

Good god. It’s like if Babylon 5 was EU Star Wars.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I need a bath. Turpentine should do for a start.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ahahahhaa oh man I read that when it came out and just now again and it's somehow even worse than I remembered.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Well I've never read any B5 apocrypha and looked up that wiki summary for Marcus. That's... uh... something alright...

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Ha, the whatnow?

hope and vaseline posted:

Well I've never read any B5 apocrypha and looked up that wiki summary for Marcus. That's... uh... something alright...

... I didn't know that existed, and now I join everyone else in wishing I could go back.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Failson posted:

Ha, the whatnow?

... I didn't know that existed, and now I join everyone else in wishing I could go back.

The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

It is now time to commence the hour of scampering (the gently caress away from that story).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I saw lots of new posts and feared someone had died... but then I saw it was the Marcus thing and I really wish it had been because of a death.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
What have I done. :(

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

I saw lots of new posts and feared someone had died... but then I saw it was the Marcus thing and I really wish it had been because of a death.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Babylon 5: I saw lots of new posts and feared someone mentioned Marcus

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Soylent Pudding posted:

One of my favorite quotes in a series full of great quotes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

neongrey posted:

I'm still convinced the marcus thing was intended to be creepy and hosed up and will loudly yell DEATH OF THE AUTHOR at anyone who tries to suggest otherwise to me. As a horror story, I don't mind it.

JMS is on record as saying that it was meant to be ambiguous, so no need to invoke death of the author.

That said, it is ambiguous whether JMS registers quite how creepy that short story is. I mean, the story works much better if you add a frame narrative at the end of Marcus dying in the tube and make the whole thing an extended hallucination. That's rarely a good sign if your story is supposed to be leading to the "is this terrible or OK" conversation afterward.

I choose to read the story as a commentary on the "nice guy" mythology that Marcus, as a character, strengthens in potentially unintended and disturbing ways. If JMS can himself be fit into that mythology, I'd just as soon not know.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

You don't want people to die, you don't want people to contrivedly come back from the dead, make up your minds!

Narsham posted:

I choose to read the story as a commentary on the "nice guy" mythology that Marcus, as a character, strengthens in potentially unintended and disturbing ways. If JMS can himself be fit into that mythology, I'd just as soon not know.

I always felt Lennier was worse about trying to nice-guy his way into a relationship, although from how incredibly passive the Minbari are in other things, maybe that's just how Minbari romance goes. Hang around, never voice your feelings, make some absurd grand gestures, and it'll just happen.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:lol:

It’s a lovely version of Passengers only worse and creepier! :stonklol:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Fairly sure it's the worst bit of B5 media created.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm just going to take everyone's word for it and not look up whatever it is you're finding.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'm just going to take everyone's word for it and not look up whatever it is you're finding.

This man is the Vir to all of our Londos. Some things come with too high a price.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Soylent Pudding posted:

This man is the Vir to all of our Londos. Some things come with too high a price.
I looked, and I've returned to the thread to exchange my purple coat for a black one.
:smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Let me ruin it for you:

quote:

Cole's story concludes in "Space, Time & the Incurable Romantic", a short story written by JMS and published in Amazing Stories #602. It takes place hundreds of years after the series ends. Cole (still preserved in cryogenic suspension) is revived when the homeworld of those who built the life-energy transfer machine was found. He then proceeds to create a clone of Ivanova by enlisting one of Garibaldi's descendants to help him. Endowing it with her exact memories by stealing the scans done of her memory, he then strands them on a lush, fertile and uncharted world with the intent of living "happily ever after" together. There are significant moral questions raised by his actions in this story, but JMS has been quoted as "wishing to give the character the happy ending he deserves" while at the same time raising the type of ethical question for which Babylon 5 is famous.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I kind of got the gist of it already. Enough to... well, I won't say "satisfy" my curiosity, more like "eliminate" it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Sounds like Passengers to me.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
Sounds like its a result of JMS wanting to bang Claudia Christian, could not close the deal in real life, writes in Marcus as a proxy and then plunges on down that rabbit hole!

JockstrapManthrust fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 2, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just watched And the Sky Full of Stars because it was brought up here, and (a) I'm glad Koenig got a recurring role and not that one-off and (b) Delenn used to be a lot more sinister in the first season. I feel she really loses that edge by the end, and not just because of the S1->S2 transformation.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just watched And the Sky Full of Stars because it was brought up here, and (a) I'm glad Koenig got a recurring role and not that one-off and (b) Delenn used to be a lot more sinister in the first season. I feel she really loses that edge by the end, and not just because of the S1->S2 transformation.

You're forgetting Lines of Communication in S4.

"END THIS."

She also has that conversation with Sheridan where she has to go away because she needs to do things she doesn't want to do with him around, which implies that she still has that edge and just doesn't want him to see it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Familiarity with the Minbari - and what they're capable of and not capable of - understandably makes them less mysterious and sinister. The romance arc also contributes, it's hard to see someone as sinister when half the time it's a Married With Children sketch

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I hear you!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

She's only really sinister because you know she's hiding something. After the transformation and especially by the end of S2, you know what it is.

Most of her most badass moments are after the transformation. "Only one human captain..."

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Today I joined 4 friends who've never seen Babylon 5 to finally begin our binge watch. After the first episode they were all "Soylent what have you gotten us into" but after Soul Hunter they were "okay this is good I want to watch more". We were getting tired after episode 5, but I insisted it was worth it to go ahead and binge through episode 6. They all agreed Bester was worth it and hope he comes back.

Someone said "Londo and G'Kar are interesting I hope we get to see more of their rivalry play out." :allears:

e: In Mind War I noticed that when the psicops scan Talia, it's Ivanova who's the one who brings her water and moves to comfort her. I never noticed that before but in a way seeing Talia victimized by the corps like that maybe was the beginning of Ivanova's attitude toward Talia thawing.

Also: gently caress the psi-police.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 3, 2019

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I like Midnight on the Firing Line :mad:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I like Midnight on the Firing Line :mad:

Me too. I like Sinclair in general, he's got a nice restrained energy - I never warmed to the other guy, thought he was adequate at best.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

She's only really sinister because you know she's hiding something. After the transformation and especially by the end of S2, you know what it is.

It's not just that. It's that she's willing and able to hide this thing. In this episode, it starts with her encounter with Franklin which foreshadows the big reveal. He's shared something very serious with her, and she just brushes off any reciprocity.

quote:

Most of her most badass moments are after the transformation. "Only one human captain..."

I don't know, that's more pompous than what I'm talking about.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I feel Delenn's role in the Earth-Minbari war was never resolved particularly satisfactorily. Lennier finds out about it, but she never really has to confess to any human characters how much she was involved, or apologize like she did to G'Kar for her decisions.

There's a visual parallel between the Grey Council watching the Battle of the Line from their flagship and Londo watching the bombardment of Narn, and it's pretty much pure chance that Delenn didn't also end up with a genocide on her conscience, but that doesn't really ever get addressed seriously.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Angry Salami posted:

I feel Delenn's role in the Earth-Minbari war was never resolved particularly satisfactorily. Lennier finds out about it, but she never really has to confess to any human characters how much she was involved, or apologize like she did to G'Kar for her decisions.

There's a visual parallel between the Grey Council watching the Battle of the Line from their flagship and Londo watching the bombardment of Narn, and it's pretty much pure chance that Delenn didn't also end up with a genocide on her conscience, but that doesn't really ever get addressed seriously.

Do you think it ever came up between her and Sheridan? Okay, he's Mister Black Star 2247, but she's literally the person who unleashed the Minbari war machine.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It felt like that entire episode existed just to give us the scene with Londo and G'Kar in the elevator because there wasn't much to it beyond that. It's kind of heartbreaking how much Londo seems to value Lennier as a friend while Lennier can barely stand him.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ThingOne posted:

It felt like that entire episode existed just to give us the scene with Londo and G'Kar in the elevator because there wasn't much to it beyond that. It's kind of heartbreaking how much Londo seems to value Lennier as a friend while Lennier can barely stand him.

Lennier may have a point that saving Londo could lead to more bad things in the future. But it's also true that Londo will be in a position to reciprocate. Indeed, if one includes both Lennier and Delenn, saving Londo pays off with interest.

Part of Londo's tragedy is that he pushes away all of his friends in the process of becoming who he becomes. But he is generous to them when he can, as that happens. There is no tragedy in someone who sacrifices what he perceives to be of no value to achieve ends that may not be as virtuous as he believes. Giving up everything that's truly of value in order to get what you deserve rarely ends well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ThingOne posted:

It's kind of heartbreaking how much Londo seems to value Lennier as a friend while Lennier can barely stand him.

That's also basically his dynamic with Garibaldi, and his relationship with his wife isn't too far behind. Centauri aristocracy really prepares you for totally one-sided relationships with the people around you.

I don't think the show ever really addressed what life was like for the "common" Centauri, or maybe they've just twisted and turned so much with their society that everybody is some kind of aristocrat. That'd be a neat idea.