Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Thanks to the posters who taught me how to overcast Balthazar is now murdering hundreds of guys every fight with Golden Hounds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Put this poo poo in the OP

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Plavski posted:

More like, WH2 teams are working on WH3 and the marketing people don't want to jeopardise any Three Kingdoms media right now. Youtubers are starting to get preview videos up and a focused stream of attention is better than a mixed bag of content.

There are two teams working on TWH. A team, aka core team, builds the base game and is currently working on TWH3. B team, aka content team, develops all of the DLC and FLC. B team is absolutely working on TWH2 things right now and probably hasn't done much for 3 beyond early planning stuff.

Either way, they are definitely not going to release anything until after 3K's intial sales period.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
The conversation on the previous page about Melee Defense and other relatively ambiguous stats was really illuminating. Can anyone point me to a source that really gets into the unit stats and such and maybe even breaks down their apparent "value" when it comes to such things. I've played this game for a long while now and there are many mechanics I've simply ignored because I couldn't find a robust source discussing all of them. Thanks in advance goons.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I will say I've had a new appreciation for armor debuffs and buffs recently too, such as bringing a lore of metal caster along with norsca online and seeing a -60 armor plague of rust do fun things such as have a longbeard front line route in 5 seconds to berserkers or seeing a dragon prince land next to a couple monsters and with 10 armor dropping in about 5 seconds from full health to 0.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I will say I've had a new appreciation for armor debuffs and buffs recently too, such as bringing a lore of metal caster along with norsca online and seeing a -60 armor plague of rust do fun things such as have a longbeard front line route in 5 seconds to berserkers or seeing a dragon prince land next to a couple monsters and with 10 armor dropping in about 5 seconds from full health to 0.
I've been trying to cycle through the different Lore types in my mages to see what I like best and boy howdy Lore of Metal continues to be my favorite for things like that. Though the Lore of Fire thing of Rhuin that grants nearby units Fire+Magic attacks is also cool and good. Ugh and I also love the Net of Amyntok above all, but otherwise dont find the Light Wizard all that great? With Gelt I loved having a Light Wizard drop The Net while Gelt hit 'em with The Rust then unload ranged fire and the lead-off Lord of Metal spell and blammo they dead, goodbye Trolls/Mammoth/Black Orcs/Grave Guard.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 31, 2019

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Light definitely is the weakest lore now; you get two mediocre buffs and one terrible buff, one of the weakest magic missiles, an ok vortex, and one really good spell but it’s only good when overcast. Oh and the worst passive effect of any of the lores

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think I have ever gotten any use out of the heavens passive.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I noticed that Animated Hulks got buffed, are they actually useful now?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWAgxFnXSyw&t=327s

This is a pretty good example of this from a Turin game. Brettonia stacks midnight wind and sword of courrone on a shaggoth, and then just shreds it with knights of the realm. Normally a shaggoth would crush them taking very little damage since they have good damage/charge, but almost no armor piercing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're playing the Vampirates are you limited to just one Queen Bess or can you have more?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Grand Prize Winner posted:

When you're playing the Vampirates are you limited to just one Queen Bess or can you have more?

There can be only

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Whorelord posted:

I noticed that Animated Hulks got buffed, are they actually useful now?

They're cheap and usable now, but you're still better off just getting some crabby pals. They can fill out some spots to make a secondary or tertiary army a bit more durable without putting you in the red.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Why are they called Prometheans btw?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

They've been called that since the Man O'War game in the early 90's. Why they're called that is anyone's guess, as Prometheus isn't associated with crabs at all. I think last time this came up someone suggested that GW just wanted something 'greek sounding' to fit in with the various other sea monsters.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

kidkissinger posted:

Frankenstein was at one point going to be called Modern Prometheus. Promethean therefore sometimes gets used for zombie related things when you don't just want to say zombie, for instance white wolf's zombie/Frankenstein type RPG is called Prometheans: The Created.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
The conversation on MD has been the most useful thing I've seen in this thread. Thanks.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

H2Eau posted:

They're cheap and usable now, but you're still better off just getting some crabby pals. They can fill out some spots to make a secondary or tertiary army a bit more durable without putting you in the red.

It's a shame really because they're one of the best looking units in the game

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They might have more of a place in multiplayer? There are plenty of units that just aren't practical in the campaign that can still be useful in a 1v1.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Arthropods such as crabs are a primitive form of life, and Prometheus is kind of associated with primitive things would be my guess.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

The Crotch posted:

They might have more of a place in multiplayer? There are plenty of units that just aren't practical in the campaign that can still be useful in a 1v1.

I'm not really into the multiplayer side of things, but I've used them in custom battles to just sit in zombie blobs and bolster the damage output & resilience of the blob.

I'm really into custom battles at the moment. I've been setting the point limit to medium and trying out an army comp against other factions until I hit one that I can't beat. It's a really chill way to play, and a good way to experience different armies without having to worry about teching up or spending gold.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

I dont know posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWAgxFnXSyw&t=327s

This is a pretty good example of this from a Turin game. Brettonia stacks midnight wind and sword of courrone on a shaggoth, and then just shreds it with knights of the realm. Normally a shaggoth would crush them taking very little damage since they have good damage/charge, but almost no armor piercing.

70 armor usually isn't that significant (versus 0.24 AP ratio, 70->40 is 166->130, and 40->10 is 130->106), but losing all that MD and eating a charge really, really sucks. On key units of course its probably worth dumping magic juice just to ensure they're dead but, as amusing as things like 0 armor ironbreakers are, you can probably get better use out of it by repeatedly casting the smaller debuff on the unit or spreading the pain around. But then again dead things can't fight back very well and burst damage is generally more valuable than sustained, but there is a point where the returns get kind of diminishing (imo around like, 60ish armor, but the general rule of thumb some good players use is that armor isnt that honking big of a deal until at least 90-95 anyways). I'm not sure at all how it stacks with fatigue effects, either (I think it would apply before but none of it shows up on the user interface so :iiam:). It can be a judgement call, but keep stuff like that in mind too when decided where to best spend your winds of magic.

Another factor I kind of touched on was AP damage, or more specifically AP damage ratios. Now you don't really have to pay attention to them since you can just look at your unit's AP damage, but if you want to look at it all in terms of effective HP, then the impact of AP can be looked at as ((1-APDamage/TotalDamage) * AverageArmorDamageReduction) (armor reduces a random amount between armor/2 and armor, capped at 100%). So 100 armor, which is usually 75% damage reduction on average, is only 60% versus a 20% AP damage attack. You can kind of think of it as a "cap" on total damage reduction, in a way: armor's average reduction versus damage will grow to a limit of (100 - APRatio). So since most of the value percentile reductions comes back loaded, with insane growths as you pass 90%, it means that even just some AP damage really reduces the theoretical value of armor.

Of course, high damage is high damage, regardless of ratio. Hitting for a hundred AP damage and a billion regular damage is still better than 1 AP and 0 regular, regardless of the ratio, but you can objectively say the former is much more impacted by the presence of armor than the latter, for what its worth. Do note tho, that a lot of damage boosting effects, including charging, increases a unit's damage output proportionally to their prior AP ratio. Charging with a .25 ratio unit (say, 1AP, 3 regular) with 12 charge value gives you 3 AP damage and 9 Regular damage. (Charging also gives you bonus MA attack equal to your charge bonus; these effects diminish linearly over 13 seconds.)

e: Here's the C# """program""" I used to do the calculations; there's probably a way to make a formula out of it or put it in an excel spreadsheet but I'm lazy and bad. The biggest weirdness part comes from the armor reduction when it gets past 100; the naive way to calculate the average reduction is just to still go Armor*.75 but you get wrong values by doing that. afaik the reduction process is A. Choose value between Armor/2 and Armor, B. if value>100, set value to 100. So that means you have to account for the fact that your average value is going to be capped at 100, which I think I accounted for well enough by separating the range of the possible values below 100 and multiplying it by the ratio (ie the probability that you'll get a value in that range), and then multiplying the ratio of values above 100 by 100 (to signify the averages of capped values). The only other things of note are essentially escape clauses if there'd be a division by zero error somewhere (when armor is 0 or 200).

e2: Factored out the calc for armor>100 out to this:
(1 - APRatio) * (-0.25*armor - 10000 / armor + 200)
easy enough to do on a napkin now, im sure.

e3: oh, and also note that Bonus VS things also get boosted according to their damage ratio. Stormvermin halberds have a pretty high proportion of damage as AP, and have a pretty nice BvL of 17 (which also gets added to their MA) means they can hit large armored things frighteningly hard. Unfortunately a lot of fairly unpleasant large things have good MD so they still don't care that much, but they'll still usually trade up when against the thing they're meant to kill.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 1, 2019

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

kidkissinger posted:

"Promethean" also means "large", I guess that's what they were going for?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

70 armor usually isn't that significant (versus 0.24 AP ratio, 70->40 is 166->130, and 40->10 is 130->106), but losing all that MD and eating a charge really, really sucks. On key units of course its probably worth dumping magic juice just to ensure they're dead but, as amusing as things like 0 armor ironbreakers are, you can probably get better use out of it by repeatedly casting the smaller debuff on the unit or spreading the pain around. But then again dead things can't fight back very well and burst damage is generally more valuable than sustained, but there is a point where the returns get kind of diminishing (imo around like, 60ish armor, but the general rule of thumb some good players use is that armor isnt that honking big of a deal until at least 90-95 anyways). I'm not sure at all how it stacks with fatigue effects, either (I think it would apply before but none of it shows up on the user interface so :iiam:). It can be a judgement call, but keep stuff like that in mind too when decided where to best spend your winds of magic.

Another factor I kind of touched on was AP damage, or more specifically AP damage ratios. Now you don't really have to pay attention to them since you can just look at your unit's AP damage, but if you want to look at it all in terms of effective HP, then the impact of AP can be looked at as ((1-APDamage/TotalDamage) * AverageArmorDamageReduction) (armor reduces a random amount between armor/2 and armor, capped at 100%). So 100 armor, which is usually 75% damage reduction on average, is only 60% versus a 20% AP damage attack. You can kind of think of it as a "cap" on total damage reduction, in a way: armor's average reduction versus damage will grow to a limit of (100 - APRatio). So since most of the value percentile reductions comes back loaded, with insane growths as you pass 90%, it means that even just some AP damage really reduces the theoretical value of armor.

Of course, high damage is high damage, regardless of ratio. Hitting for a hundred AP damage and a billion regular damage is still better than 1 AP and 0 regular, regardless of the ratio, but you can objectively say the former is much more impacted by the presence of armor than the latter, for what its worth. Do note tho, that a lot of damage boosting effects, including charging, increases a unit's damage output proportionally to their prior AP ratio. Charging with a .25 ratio unit (say, 1AP, 3 regular) with 12 charge value gives you 3 AP damage and 9 Regular damage. (Charging also gives you bonus MA attack equal to your charge bonus; these effects diminish linearly over 13 seconds.)

e: Here's the C# """program""" I used to do the calculations; there's probably a way to make a formula out of it or put it in an excel spreadsheet but I'm lazy and bad. The biggest weirdness part comes from the armor reduction when it gets past 100; the naive way to calculate the average reduction is just to still go Armor*.75 but you get wrong values by doing that. afaik the reduction process is A. Choose value between Armor/2 and Armor, B. if value>100, set value to 100. So that means you have to account for the fact that your average value is going to be capped at 100, which I think I accounted for well enough by separating the range of the possible values below 100 and multiplying it by the ratio (ie the probability that you'll get a value in that range), and then multiplying the ratio of values above 100 by 100 (to signify the averages of capped values). The only other things of note are essentially escape clauses if there'd be a division by zero error somewhere (when armor is 0 or 200).

e2: Factored out the calc for armor>100 out to this:
(1 - APRatio) * (-0.25*armor - 10000 / armor + 200)
easy enough to do on a napkin now, im sure.

e3: oh, and also note that Bonus VS things also get boosted according to their damage ratio. Stormvermin halberds have a pretty high proportion of damage as AP, and have a pretty nice BvL of 17 (which also gets added to their MA) means they can hit large armored things frighteningly hard. Unfortunately a lot of fairly unpleasant large things have good MD so they still don't care that much, but they'll still usually trade up when against the thing they're meant to kill.

This is a great, thorough post, and it reminds me that after over 2000 hours in total war games, I’ll never comprehend their statistical underpinnings and systems

Anyway Queek is hard, I’m not used to having to face down equally capable factions on all sides. I don’t have a path to Karak that doesn’t take me through Lybaras, who are huge - for constructs do you guys recommend swarms of clanrat Spears, Stormvermin with halberds, or are globadiers best?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
globadiers are in there with my favorite units but i love the anti infantry variant a little more. seeing an enemy's hp bar drop by half with one volley feels so good

warp lightning cannons, globes and rat ogres are good against constructs

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ideally one should have both variants, for cleaning up chunks of infantry or large targets that have survived or bypassed your artillery battery. Considering how frequent that can be, they're good investments.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cool. I haven’t unlocked them yet, but I suppose if I can just sneak around them to kill Crooked Moon goblins in the meantime - I managed to beat Skarsnik once too, but man, his journey to this side of the map made his arachnarox and goblins devastating, they owned me thoroughly before reinforcements could be brought up for a second fight

ed: also DOOOOOOOM rite, is it worth using? the skaven seem to have kind poo poo mechanics in general, with useless rites and no RoR, but I'm enjoying them anyway

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Actually skaven rule

The DOOOOM rite is pretty fun, self explanatory but it basically wrecks a city (although not to the point where it's ruins). It can be very useful for crippling an opponents recruiting center/an important economic base. I like the plague rite better. Put a plague on a city, it can (and usually does) spread to armies who will take horrible attrition losses, and they can then spread it to other nearby armies and cities.

Both are useful tools to employ before launching a surprise invasion.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

globadiers are just fantastic at clearing the walls during sieges as well. I know that poison wind have a bonus against large targets but I've generally gone with death globe more often because they seem to do quite a bit of damage even without the bonus. Do any of the numbers people have a good handle on which is more useful/valuable? I know the warp throwers are disappointing.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
just be aware the plague can spread to your army too

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The thing about Warpfire teams is that they are pretty good at melting blobs of chaff; it's just that like Irondrakes, they're fussy to move around and not nearly as resilient. A Plagueclaw Catapult is around the same price and will probably kill the same targets just as well, if not as quickly.

Death Globes, however, murder blobs of armored infantry and can throw in an arc; you don't get both of these traits often on one unit, and so they are very powerful.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I dont know posted:

There are two teams working on TWH. A team, aka core team, builds the base game and is currently working on TWH3. B team, aka content team, develops all of the DLC and FLC. B team is absolutely working on TWH2 things right now and probably hasn't done much for 3 beyond early planning stuff.

Either way, they are definitely not going to release anything until after 3K's intial sales period.

In addition to this, I think there is a decent chance we don't see a new DLC until they are ready to do their first sale on Three Kingdoms. From a marketing perspective, you can maximize your interest and sales across products via timing your DLC releases with sales or price drops on other products in the same catalog/category. Although they could do a smaller scale sale round with the amount of poo poo they have when they drop a content update and just use that to promote Three Kingdoms for some more lift if it is doing well still.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I have a weird bug since I got the festag update: I’m missing 10 of Ungrims skill points. The other characters and lords are fine. Ungrim is level 26 but only has 17 points.

Is there a mod that lets you reallocate skill points? Alternatively is there a mod that increases skill points?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Beffer posted:

I have a weird bug since I got the festag update: I’m missing 10 of Ungrims skill points. The other characters and lords are fine. Ungrim is level 26 but only has 17 points.

Is there a mod that lets you reallocate skill points? Alternatively is there a mod that increases skill points?
I'm not sure if this will fix it, especially because I have not used it yet, but someone else shared it recently: https://sourceforge.net/projects/saveparser/
It lets you edit your save file, so maybe you could go in and try editing his skill point total or something to resolve the issue. Definitely back up your save before you do it.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
You could also cheat engine, that's usually good for editing numbers.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Me: Mazdumundi is fun because you can make a really neat, synergistic themed army of temple guard, kroxigors, and chameleon skinks.

Skrolk: You are a false god. I shall tear your house in two and cast your throne of lies into the sea.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
looks like a lot of chameleon food to me

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was one of the easiest battles I've ever fought.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm not sure if this will fix it, especially because I have not used it yet, but someone else shared it recently: https://sourceforge.net/projects/saveparser/
It lets you edit your save file, so maybe you could go in and try editing his skill point total or something to resolve the issue. Definitely back up your save before you do it.

Thanks. It turns out that this is a known issue. CA warned about it before the patch was released.

I’ll try to modify the save game. I’m bound to gently caress it up, but I’m interested to see how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Crotch posted:

Me: Mazdumundi is fun because you can make a really neat, synergistic themed army of temple guard, kroxigors, and chameleon skinks.

Skrolk: You are a false god. I shall tear your house in two and cast your throne of lies into the sea.

I never got one blessed chameleon in my whole last lizardman campaign so I'm kind of jealous.