Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

multijoe posted:

It'll either be 'Infamous LARGE' or 'Zombie Monster' depending on whether that episode gets a cool translator or the one who named Sticky Fingers & Sex Pistols

The Stand names aren't decided by the people subbing the episodes. They're determined by the original rights holders, which is why they're consistent between the Namco Bandai localized games and the Viz localized anime/manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The Stand names aren't decided by the people subbing the episodes. They're determined by the original rights holders, which is why they're consistent between the Namco Bandai localized games and the Viz localized anime/manga.

Ah, so every zero effort Stand name was just the rights holder being a dick and refusing to let them use anything cool? That's disappointing, but I guess it makes more sense than the intern bungling the main character's Stand name.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm guessing something like Infamous Large.

Edit: Talking Head and Rolling Stone don't have copyright-friendly names yet either. Talkative Face and Moving Rock, maybe?

If they are any kind of clever Rolling Stone will be named Mobile Boulder

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought that the people who localized the games came up with the names and whoever owns jojo retained rights to the new names which is why Crunchyroll is also using them

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

multijoe posted:

Ah, so every zero effort Stand name was just the rights holder being a dick and refusing to let them use anything cool? That's disappointing, but I guess it makes more sense than the intern bungling the main character's Stand name.

It's not....really that.

There's no real malice behind it, some are just better than others.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I thought that the people who localized the games came up with the names and whoever owns jojo retained rights to the new names which is why Crunchyroll is also using them

The rights holders usually have to approve translations of proper terms like Stand names, so they're at least a bit involved in the process.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 1, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the most confusing thing about the changed stand names to me is that gold experience had to be changed in all star battle, but soft & wet remained the same

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

multijoe posted:

It'll either be 'Infamous LARGE' or 'Zombie Monster' depending on whether that episode gets a cool translator or the one who named Sticky Fingers & Sex Pistols

Noticeably F.A.T.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Props to Limp Bizkit for approving the best name change I guess

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The original bands have nothing to do with it.

When I say rights holders, I mean like Shueisha/WB. The rights holders of Jojo.

Like, the explicit point of changing the names is to keep the bands off their asses.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

When I say rights holders, I mean like Shueisha/WB. The rights holders of Jojo.

Oh, what you were saying makes more sense now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, stuff like that is why Kamui went untranslated in Kill la Kill, why the names of characters in Kotobuki are in all caps, and why we got an anime named Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Who was that guy with Risotto, I don't remember him at all, just some random dude?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Who was that guy with Risotto, I don't remember him at all, just some random dude?

He's the ice skater dude from the bridge chase chapter

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

He's the ice skater dude from the bridge chase chapter

No the other guy

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
He's just a random computer hacker tasked with reconstructing the picture of Venice that is relevant in Ghiaccio's fight. There was a scene in an earlier episode where Risotto finds the burnt pieces.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

multijoe posted:

Zipper Man and Six Bullets are albums fwiw

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Zipper Man and Six Bullets are albums fwiw

I don’t believe for a minute that that was intentional

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
rereading white album and oh geez mista

this is only chapter 1 of the fight

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That Mista... is a v good boy.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Ghiaccio("White Album" user) takes the phone call in his car while driving and i don't recognize the guy on the computer in Risotto Nero's room, some random dude, i guess.

Can Of Worms posted:

He's just a random computer hacker tasked with reconstructing the picture of Venice that is relevant in Ghiaccio's fight. There was a scene in an earlier episode where Risotto finds the burnt pieces.
Well then it must be him.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 2, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don’t believe for a minute that that was intentional

Except it almost certainly was? Like, why pick them if it wasn't? Again, it's not like the localisation staff sit around thinking "what's the worst name we can give this".

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Except it almost certainly was? Like, why pick them if it wasn't? Again, it's not like the localisation staff sit around thinking "what's the worst name we can give this".

If they're trying to dodge copyright infringement, why would they pick something else copyrighted.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah the guy with Risotto is analyzing the burned parts of the picture that Pericolo left so they can know where the OA Disc which has the location of the hand off point for Trish to the Boss

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

White Album is next after Baby Face, right?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Augus posted:

White Album is next after Baby Face, right?
Yes as they cross the bridge to Venice to reach the train-way station.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah the remaining fights are:

- White Album
- Bruno vs King Crimson
- Clash and Talking Heads
- Notorious B.I.G
- Metallica
- Green Day and Oasis
- King Crimson

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Excellent.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Szmitten posted:

If they're trying to dodge copyright infringement, why would they pick something else copyrighted.

Probably because they think the new reference isn't going to get them sued, like when Devo the Cursed became Soul Sacrifice, J Geil became Centrefold, and Oingo and Boingo becoming Zenyatta Mondatta and also almost every stand in part 4.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah the remaining fights are:

- White Album
- Bruno vs King Crimson
- Clash and Talking Heads
- Notorious B.I.G
- Metallica
- Green Day and Oasis
- King Crimson

You forgot Silver Chariot Requiem and Sleeping Slaves/Rolling Stone

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
those are not Fights with Antagonists

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Probably because they think the new reference isn't going to get them sued, like when Devo the Cursed became Soul Sacrifice, J Geil became Centrefold, and Oingo and Boingo becoming Zenyatta Mondatta and also almost every stand in part 4.

soul sacrifice was actually an araki-chosen namechange. not sure about the others

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

yeah actually they will posted:

soul sacrifice was actually an araki-chosen namechange. not sure about the others

I vaguely remember hearing that most/all of the part 3 changes were chosen by Araki but everything else has been the localization team

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

I vaguely remember hearing that most/all of the part 3 changes were chosen by Araki but everything else has been the localization team

That makes sense. it explains why the part 3 changes didn't carry over to/from all star battle/eyes of heaven but the other changes did

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Erina had a baller wedding dress.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Jonathan bonking his head on the door frame is a top moment for me.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Going back to copyright, how can band/song/album names that are just regular words be so well-guarded? Surface was one of the biggest gripes for me. It's just an everyday word so why did they have to change it? Is it specifically because the Stand being called Surface was made out as a reference?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because all the other band names remove any plausible deniability.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Yeah sure there's Crazy Diamond and Killer Queen and Red Hot Chili Peppers but we swear, this one is definitely not a reference!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Congratulations mistuh joester