Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That piano is awesome, but that telescope is definitely #science_teacher_goals right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

QuarkMartial posted:

That piano is awesome, but that telescope is definitely #science_teacher_goals right there.

Hey speaking of:

There was a lunar eclipse last night!

Clouds kept rolling in and loving my shots up, but I got enough breaks to get some sloppy shots from my phone's camera. I would have set up my Rebel to grab some, but it's a bitch to focus it without a bahtinov mask and the view from the telescope was WAY better than these pictures.

loving CLOUDS:

Cleared up enough by the time it started:

Some red started to show up, just when the sky became completely overcast...

However I got some ~20 second breaks here and there between them to capture some awesome shots of totality:

All in all I'd say it was worth setting up for. They're okay photos for a dirty phone camera. I definitely need to make a Bahtinov mask for this telescope so I can get some real photos of stuff.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 21, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just picked up the engine!

Crank came out great:

#1 main journal looks much better with just a polish. Can't even tell there was a gouge anymore:

Block looks good. They put new freeze plugs in it:

Deck and cylinders are looking good too:

Need to crosshatch em. YAY MORE MONEY:

Pistons were good with no cracks or signs of stress:

Head looks awesome. I love the way aluminum comes out of the hot tank:

Valve job cost a pretty penny, but I think it was worth it:

All in all looks super promising:

I'm waiting on the bearings and piston rings from rockauto, and then I get to measure stuff a bunch! This part should be fun.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Couldn't wait to use my new measuring devices...

She's 0.0001 wide. Haven't factored that into the numbers later:

Custom crankshaft stand made from a new and old harmonic balancer:

THE RESULTS:

They only knocked 0.0005 off polishing out that gouge, and everything is very consistent.

If anyone's around Richmond VA and needs engine machining the NAPA machine shop on Chamberlain is great. They did awesome work and they were well-priced. Bring donuts. Carl will like you.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Might want to check the spacer on the steering box, they're just cast aluminum and break for now drat reason all the time. Since your box got so loose might be worth checking.

I'll be down in Richmond at the end of Feb for vacation. Any place you recommend for good eats?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes: http://www.galleykitchen.info

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What was the total for the machine work if you don't mind me asking? I've never rebuilt so I don't really have a frame of reference. I just do junkyard swaps. :v: Seems like a quick turn around from what this internet lurker reads of other folks' builds.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Veeb0rg posted:

Any place you recommend for good eats?

Wrar and Toplitzin won't go anywhere else whenever they come down here.

There's other awesome stuff but it depends on what type of food you want. Mekong, Juleps, The Roosevelt, Buzz & Neds, Havana 59, Bacchus, L'Opossum, Carytown Sushi, and Galaxy Diner are all great choices!

Suburban Dad posted:

What was the total for the machine work if you don't mind me asking? I've never rebuilt so I don't really have a frame of reference. I just do junkyard swaps. :v: Seems like a quick turn around from what this internet lurker reads of other folks' builds.

$550 for a 5 angle valve job, hot tanking, crank/cam polish, water jacket replacement, and magnaflux. The valve job is half of that but the valve seats looked rough so I went for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat that engine is gonna run sooo smooth once you get everything together. Don't blame you for wanting to get rid of the Benz cuz you're gonna love the MR2. If you still need a comfy ride to commute in or whatever just get a cheap Lexus :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

Wrar and Toplitzin won't go anywhere else whenever they come down here.

There's other awesome stuff but it depends on what type of food you want. Mekong, Juleps, The Roosevelt, Buzz & Neds, Havana 59, Bacchus, L'Opossum, Carytown Sushi, and Galaxy Diner are all great choices!

$550 for a 5 angle valve job, hot tanking, crank/cam polish, water jacket replacement, and magnaflux. The valve job is half of that but the valve seats looked rough so I went for it.

That doesn't seem too bad all things considered, even though I'm sure there's still a lot more going into the fund to get it back to running status. Thanks for sharing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Buzz and Ned's, Mekong, and Galaxy Diner all get my recommendations as well.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
My wife demands we go to galaxy diner every time we are in the area. Grandstaff&stein is good for drinks, bacchus does great fried oysters, and carytown cupcakes are great to bring back home.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My wife demands we go to galaxy diner every time we are in the area. Grandstaff&stein is good for drinks, bacchus does great fried oysters, and carytown cupcakes are great to bring back home.

Fried Oysters made me think Pearl Raw Bar. That place is expensive-ish but it's awesome food.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Galaxy Diner is legit too. Top and I will need to try some other stuff when we are in town next time.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah there's so much better food around here, but Galaxy Diner is an experience.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Comanche got MASSIVE deathwobble today. Time to put it up and check every fuckin steering connection!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
mat the gas and it'll go away.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Tie rod adjusting sleeve bolts were loose! I tightened them up and the deathwobble got SO MUCH WORSE.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
My WJ ended up being tie rod ends when it had death wobble, my understanding is most non-lifted stock jeeps tend to be that. Good luck, sometimes people have a really hard time narrowing that down though. I think we ended narrowing it down by shaking the steering wheel while someone looked under the car to see what wasn’t moving.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Tie rod adjusting sleeve bolts were loose! I tightened them up and the deathwobble got SO MUCH WORSE.

When you start getting deathwobble the general consensus is pretty much just replace everything in the front end because that's what you end up doing chasing the issue anyway :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When you start getting deathwobble the general consensus is pretty much just replace everything in the front end because that's what you end up doing chasing the issue anyway :v:

As both an E34 and E39 BMW 5 series owner I feel a certain kinship with Chrysler death wobble owners. I understand your pain and will press out a bushing from a discarded thrust arm in your honour.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol gently caress off deathwobble

In other news, it's been raining its rear end off recently.

I am also a moron.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 25, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

I am also a moron.

Gol durn, cletus, that mud is a right bear to get off'n the undercarriage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Lol gently caress off deathwobble

In other news, it's been raining its rear end off recently.

I am also a moron.

It's okay. I have a big boy truck with road tires and I got stuck in a parking lot.

but from the looks of that dried mud, so did the person before me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It looks a lot like the Chevy had to bail out the Ford. :mad:

I've managed to sink an F-150 up to the frame before when I was dumb and 17, does that count? (and yeah... a Chevy did yank me off out the first time... another F-150 the second time).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Piston rings and bearings came in!

Popped a few in, just to try out my new dial bore indicator:

Not exactly excited about how it's scratching the bearing coating. Maybe someone with more experience can tell me whether this is an issue or not but the rollers on this things are making some lines:

That picture is with the light shining on it just right. It normally looks like this:

Nothing on the top:

It's these "rollers" that arent actually rolling. The spring on this thing seems too heavy for the application:

I'm thinking of just plastigauging at this point. What say you, engine building goons?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's fine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gage it. ship it.
and as always:

use lube

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Alright just measured everything. Torqued the main caps to 43 ft*lbs after wiping the mating and bearing surfaces.

I got lucky-ish but I will probably still tinker with the pairs until I get what I want on the #1 main.

Crank main journal measurements for reference:

Measured, found #1 bearings super loose and #4 bearings super tight, so I swapped em:

Subtracting off of the 2.1750" set point of the gauge, and then subtracting the crank journal measurements for each of em, I get clearances on both sides:

The oil clearance spec is 0.0010" to 0.0017". If we halve all those we get oil clearances of between 0.0013" and 0.0017". I may still try swapping bearing halves to get #1 to play nicer, but this is a good result!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:toot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ummm... I don’t know about that particular engine family, but I do know of quite a few where swapping bearing cap position is a no-no. Are you having it line-honed or bored when you’re done?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Ummm... I don’t know about that particular engine family, but I do know of quite a few where swapping bearing cap position is a no-no. Are you having it line-honed or bored when you’re done?

Swapped the bearings themselves, not the caps.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Adiabatic posted:

Swapped the bearings themselves, not the caps.

Oooo ok. :pseudo:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Got some dadgum homework to do tonight, but them rockauto deliveries are really calling to me... waiting on one last delivery, probably tomorrow, then it's Front End Rebuild Time!

Figure I should also probably measure rod bearings, plastigauge the mains with the crank in, and assembly lube the crank on the MR2.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Anyone have any recommendations on crosshatching the bores? I'm looking at those Flex-Hone drill attachments like Cleetus McFarland used for the junkyard corvette, just, you know, using it correctly. However I'm unsure whether there's a better way to do it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
My biggest thing about cylinder honing is using plenty of fluid to keep the bores flushed. Doing it in a parts washer/solvent tank with the nozzle squirting down the bore you're honing would be ideal.

Note that I'm not a machinist and I may be way off base.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Agreed. Using the dingle ball is ok for just a refresh like you are doing. The 2 things Cleetus didn't do that well was just using WD and the cross hatch should have been closer to 45 degrees, his angles were kinda small. Way more lube like engine oil and 45 degree cross hatch will be better.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yeah, move the hone up and down the bore faster than you spin it. The abrasive will do the work, no need to run the drill WFO.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Went to go crosshatch the bores with my shiny new Flex-Hone and....

Machine shop already did it :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea I wondered why they didn't do it. Guess that answers that question.