Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pollyanna posted:

If she is spayed, then is cat.

We sent our two ~11m old kitties to the cattery for the first time and it seems to have made them more vocal - they'll now announce their presence in the room every time they walk in (or I walk into where they're lounging)

Guess they missed us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
This is probably obvious, but if you reward meowing with food or attention they'll do more if it. Personally, my old lady kitten and I have long conversations. Some breeds talk more than others, too.

Recently our conversations are starting at 5am and my first responses are all "fuuuuck you kitten", but it's my own fault.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Yeah, Fiancee and I swore we would avoid rewarding the meows...

But how can I not pet this loud little floofy monster?! He's so CUTE!

So now we have a very talkative cat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've posted about it in here before but when rear end in a top hat was alone he was a very quiet cat. He wouldn't purr and the only meowing he did was when me or my fiancee left the house. He would meow for a little bit and then go lay down.

Bean however is very vocal. She purrs like a jet engine and will meow when you look at her or touch her or walk near her or in response to you talking back.

Domino has picked up on that and he now purrs and meows and will have short conversations. He learned from her and it's adorable

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I've got the weird converse, my kittens weren't very talkative to begin with so they grew up not doing a lot of talking (they have the cutest, tiniest little meows though). When I picked up a third cat, who could be super vocal with a set of lungs like a jet engine, the other cats didn't seem impressed. He's largely given up on meowing like he's being murdered and has settled into quietly being an rear end in a top hat to the other assholes.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I hope forums poster Nur_Neerg will post a clip of his cute newish ragdolls nothing like they're meowing when he gets food ready, but no sounds come out.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Does this count?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rLpNpWTzUsBh8F28

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mel had her annual checkup, informed she is chunky enough that I need to help her lose some weight. Was also told that to facilitate this, I should switch her back to wet food.

The search begins for a wet food she'll actually loving eat. I've tried all the tricks (microwaving, mixing a little dry in) and several different brands but all she does is sniff it, lick up the liquid on top, and then meow at me to feed her something she actually wants. Cats. :argh:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Once she figures out it's edible (forced tasting, eventual giving in) it's just a matter of starving her until she caves, honestly. That or she starts to eat you in your sleep. Switching food is hard, though, and gradually mixing during a slow transition is a good strat. Good luck!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

This is probably obvious, but if you reward meowing with food or attention they'll do more if it. Personally, my old lady kitten and I have long conversations. Some breeds talk more than others, too.

Recently our conversations are starting at 5am and my first responses are all "fuuuuck you kitten", but it's my own fault.

All of mine talk to me, but I consider this a plus. I'd rather communicate with them more than less.

One of them is annoying about it, in that he'll decide it's time to be petted, and instead of coming to me like a normal cat, he'll just miaow forlornly and look at me from across the room. When I get up to pay attention to him, then we work out where we head to for petting. It's sort of dumb, but he's a good cat and this is how I indulge him.

Another one used to communicate by screaming, but he'd been abused and was very excitable when I got him. He's mellowed consistently over time and is starting to announce his presence, which he does in a weird raspy but not unpleasant noise, like the quietest little roar. He still tells me he wants me to follow him somewhere with a kind of scream but not loud. If I make the noise back at him he gets all excited and seems to know I got the message. I think he just doesn't know how to miaow.

They're some best loving cats, and I love all their voices.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

My cat likes to yell when I'm not in her line of sight and right after I get home.

Also whenever a faucet is running.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why my cat yells:
"I'm hungry!"
"Why's this door closed I want to see what's outside!"
"Help outside is scary close the door!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ILL Machina posted:

Once she figures out it's edible (forced tasting, eventual giving in) it's just a matter of starving her until she caves, honestly. That or she starts to eat you in your sleep. Switching food is hard, though, and gradually mixing during a slow transition is a good strat. Good luck!

I had her on wet food a little over a year ago, but switched her to dry for a variety of reasons. Mostly because it was easier/cheaper. She obviously started to fatten up as a result though. She's not happy about transitioning back to wet food and is apparently giving my roommate hell when I'm at work trying to coerce him into giving her dry food and/or treats. :sigh:

The other problem is that she really wants to graze. Even when I was regularly feeding her wet food, she'd eat a couple mouthfuls when I fed her, then leave the wet food in her bowl for hours to occasionally snack on. If I cleaned out her bowl to try and prevent this, she'd just stand by her bowl and meow sadly for loving hours.

Once again, cats. I probably shouldn't be surprised given how independent-minded she is as a former stray, but it bugs me when it becomes something that's actively impeding her health.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
We just recently solved the problem of one of our cats scarfing and the other grazing by just starving them both a bit. We cut down dry food and gave them like 2/3 of their usual wet food ration for a day or two and ever since, the grazer has started eating everything up, albeit still a little bit slower the her sister. Her sister, also, has learned to not bully her away (we'd pick her up and sit her down a couple meters away). The vet checked out the grazer a couple times and hasn't found anything wrong.

They also only meow when it's chow time and we're prepping their food, and when they think they're eligible for food, and when they're confused where their sister is. They haven't ever waken us up for food, thank god. Sometimes one of them will wander into the room looking a little lost and when we go "hey buddy, can't make up your mind, huh?", they meow and come for cuddles.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 31, 2019

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sydin posted:

I had her on wet food a little over a year ago, but switched her to dry for a variety of reasons. Mostly because it was easier/cheaper. She obviously started to fatten up as a result though. She's not happy about transitioning back to wet food and is apparently giving my roommate hell when I'm at work trying to coerce him into giving her dry food and/or treats. :sigh:

The other problem is that she really wants to graze. Even when I was regularly feeding her wet food, she'd eat a couple mouthfuls when I fed her, then leave the wet food in her bowl for hours to occasionally snack on. If I cleaned out her bowl to try and prevent this, she'd just stand by her bowl and meow sadly for loving hours.

Once again, cats. I probably shouldn't be surprised given how independent-minded she is as a former stray, but it bugs me when it becomes something that's actively impeding her health.

If the wet is just to help her lose weight, get an automated feeder and stick with dry. Give her a precise amount of food, weigh her periodically (I use a luggage scale) and if she isn't losing weight reduce her feeding amount by a few grams till you start seeing weight loss. Bonus is she'll stop associating you or your roommate as the giver of food.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How do people feel about tapioca starch in cat food? A lot of expensive cat foods are using it as part of the 'grain free' craze but I read something from a vet saying this is far worse than grains and has a pretty high glycemic index. There are also some more nebulous claims about eating enough of it can cause weird health problems.

Of course the only food all 3 cats consistently like has this poo poo in it. We actually realized the food we had been feeding our old cat for years (Avoderm) has it too. So maybe big oops there. I did just get a couple cans of Dave's at the vet they all seemed to like that doesn't have it so maybe that's my winner.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm really worried about one of my (well, my mum's by now) cats.

My mum has two cats: Horus (Male, I wanna say about 10 years old, maybe a bit more?) and Batgirl (female, probably 4, they're both rescues so I'm going by memory). I was still living in my mum's when we got Horus, he lived about 4 years with me and I live close enough to her that I go by her place once or twice a week. They don't sleep on top of each other or really play, but they tolerate one another well enough; they eat next to each other and I've never seen them fight.

My mum is on vacation now, so for the past month and a half I've been going to her house to feed these two, clean the litter and water the plants.

I went in today, both came trotting along as usual demanding food. I gave them a few scratches, fed them, then went to clean the litter and went out to the balcony to water the plants.

When I came back in, batgirl jumped on the tv table and started demanding pets as she usually does; Horus likes to hang out in the hallway to the kitchen. I picked her up, and I hear one of those long "fight meows". I thought I had picked her up weird but then noticed Horus was making that noise and blocking my way out of the living room. I let batgirl down and started talking to him while trying to move away slowly, and he just attacked my leg. And I don't mean playing, I mean full on attack, he drew blood where the claws got me. I got out of the way and went to grab my stuff, and he kept coming towards me.
I stood at the door to the house for a bit and talked to him, see if I had scared him somehow, checked my shoes and pant legs to see if I had somehow picked something up in the balcony that could be setting him off, but nothing.

I need to make something clear at this point: he has never done something like this. And I mean not even CLOSE to it. Only times I've seen him hiss at something or someone was when he's startled, and you can just call him after that and he'll come close to get pets.

Could it have just been a jealousy spat? I've handled batgirl in front of him for the past 4 years (and not like I only handle her, I pay attention to both equally since I've been trying to be careful about not favoring the "new" cat), but it was so completely out of character I'm not entirely sure how to handle this, and I'm really worried about what could set him off now; my mum is coming back next month and she's 76 by now, and I'm terrified he'll go off on her like this.

I'm at work now, I was thinking about going over tonight, see how he reacts and give him a good brushing if he's back to "normal", but this is a really bad precedent. :(

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Sudden behavior change in an older cat is definite cause for a vet visit to make sure there's no medical reason.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is this where we post peaceful kitty pics?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes

I find it very bemusing that when I get home from work, that Glitch jumps in the shower with me.
My cat has her own frickin towel now.

At least I don't need to brush her much :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know why she was so mad at me :(

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Give this food a try, my cat loves it! It’s easy and really great quality, he’s got tiny poops now too, so I think he’s absorbing a lot of the nutrients.

https://www.google.com/search?q=orimal+oets+freeze+dried&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

https://giant.gfycat.com/VeneratedBonyGraywolf.webm

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well this sucks. Today I found a couple of the ferals that live in my yard dead with no obvious signs of injury, and I’m starting to suspect that one of my next door neighbors may have poisoned them.

gently caress. :(

How do I report a possible cat killer in my neighborhood now that I have an actual house address to give someone?

Also where do I take a dead cat for an autopsy?

EDIT: I should probably clarify that first question. I’m definitely going to the cops, I’m just wondering if there’s anyone else I should report this to, besides maybe my local ASPCA.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 3, 2019

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Is this where we post peaceful kitty pics?

Oh my goodness those are two incredibly adorable and very very happy blissed-out looking kittties :3:

I especially like the kitty on the left because he looks extremely polydactyl, lik my Jackie - and also he's a tabby, also like my cat.

I still can't quite believe how lucky I am to still have such an awesome cat. I don't mean it as something to brag about, but maybe I kinda do? Ever since I moved back in with friends I've gotten a little more perspective on what a fantastic cat Jackie is. Both my roommates adore her totally and will *try* and get her to come over - as they point out, she is really cuddly and nice, never scratches, and has extraordinarily soft fur. All of which is true.

I've also just settled into a good routine with her, too. Only problem is I literally am... totally unable to fall asleep in my own bed without her, heh. And I really kinda mean that! It takes me at least twice as long when she's not there for whatever reason. I sleep on my side in a semi-fetal position, and every single night within 10 minutes of me getting in bed, she will jump onto the bed and curl up in the little triangle of space between my thighs and chest when lying in a fetal-ish position. It is *incredibly* comforting on a cold and lonely night, especially because the heating is not always fantastic and having a purring cat to sleep with is frankly better than any kind of electric blanket or massage/heat pad on a cold night..

She's also just getting (thank god) sweeter and more affectionate as she's gotten older, as opposed to getting grumpy or mean. When I come home and sit down and she jumps right in my lap, now, she looks right up at me when I pet her and just gives me this incredibly sweet, adorable, squinty look and just seems indecently happy.

I've also realized why I can't stop thinking about the fact that Jackie might inevitably die: Because by nature I'm a pretty sadly pessimistic/worrying person, and my cat is basically like the one aspect of my life that is PERFECT - could not possibly be improved... Seriously! I don't have a single complaint or annoying thing to say about Jackie.

Like, it's well-known that cats are assholes? Jackie is the only cat I've ever known who is NOT an rear end in a top hat - she's not even mean! She's not even a hunter, unless you count cat toys - I've never seen her kill anything, for real! And as I said, she never scratches anyone - sometimes she pretends and retracts her claws on purpose. She doesn't get into trouble, she doesn't knock stuff over, she doesn't bolt outside when not supposed to, she's NEVER an annoyance unless she has a legitimate need - like her litter box really needs scooping, its hours past meal-time, or something like that. I just... it'd be absurd to even imagine that a better cat could exist.

I think that's why it makes me a little sad, really. I know no cat I have will ever be more perfect than Jackie. I'm sure I'll love any cat I get, and I certainly expect future cats to be more.... cat-like than Jackie is, either in terms of rear end in a top hat-ness or shyness or getting into trouble or all of the above. But I *know* that a person is lucky to get a pet this exceptional in the small span of a human life. Since it's my nature to worry about everything, well, there's just NOTHING to worry about concerning Jackie except for the fact that I'm sadly much more likely to outlive her than vice versa... Ah well...

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Hera has discovered a foolproof way to ensure that even if I want to remain mostly asleep, I will wake up and thus deliver her cuddles in bed.

She licks my eyelids, I really cannot remain asleep while being subject to this.

Also cat tax:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Managed to get an actual nice front on shot of Glitch sleeping

She sleeps the other way most of the time, and her head keeps dropping off the edge of the table whenever she gets into a deep sleep and it wakes her up :allears:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This morning Terry started retching while on my bed, and I didn't get to it in time. I consider myself lucky it was just a hairball, because I'm way too used to living with a stupid little monster.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Managed to get an actual nice front on shot of Glitch sleeping

Mine didn’t appreciate me trying to get a picture.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This morning Terry started retching while on my bed, and I didn't get to it in time. I consider myself lucky it was just a hairball, because I'm way too used to living with a stupid little monster.

I came home the other day to discover that one of the cats had hairballed while standing at the top of the cat tree, judging by the hairball on the windowsill and the spatter patterns on the blinds :sigh:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Human! You can't go to bed! Look how cute I am!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

These two

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

CancerStick posted:

Mine didn’t appreciate me trying to get a picture.

Why's her belly bald? Is she nursing or just finished? Surgery?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Why's her belly bald? Is she nursing or just finished? Surgery?

Adopted her two weeks ago. She was turned into the shelter a week prior with a litter of kittens. Spayed a few days before I adopted.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm sad my kitties stopped sleeping in their beds together. They looked so adorable.

He picks goofy positions to lay in my lap

cat trap doing its job

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

CancerStick posted:

Adopted her two weeks ago. She was turned into the shelter a week prior with a litter of kittens. Spayed a few days before I adopted.

She'll be enjoying the peace and quiet with her kids away then. Some miss them for a bit but most are just glad nothing is nibbling their teats any more. The spay patch is different from here though. Where I am they make a really small patch on the side and the incision is tiny compared to the old way. Maybe it's because she'd had a litter recently.

Anyway, welcome to the legion of tortie demon keepers. Brindles are the best.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm sad my kitties stopped sleeping in their beds together. They looked so adorable.

He picks goofy positions to lay in my lap

cat trap doing its job

Oh my cat has a secret brother!

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

Oh my cat has a secret brother!

This cat looks as if he has come to collect my soul.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Patrat posted:

This cat looks as if he has come to collect my soul.

And judges it unworthy of the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Ratzap posted:

She'll be enjoying the peace and quiet with her kids away then. Some miss them for a bit but most are just glad nothing is nibbling their teats any more. The spay patch is different from here though. Where I am they make a really small patch on the side and the incision is tiny compared to the old way. Maybe it's because she'd had a litter recently.

Anyway, welcome to the legion of tortie demon keepers. Brindles are the best.

Yea, to be honest, I'm not sure why the whole stomach area is shaved. She had a really small incision in the lower area of her stomach. I just assumed that was normal. First time cat owner.

And thanks. She is doing really well. Only really small "annoyances" that just may be part of her and the fact that "yep, that's a cat."

1.) Extremely vocal in the kitchen. All day, every day. From the minute you wake up. Tried, and still do, feeding her 30 minutes to an hour after waking up but doesn't matter, still meowing that she wants food now. She doesn't wake you up, but from the moment you are up she is yelling at you. Then teh rest of the day it's not all day, just "Oh, you are going to the kitchen? I'm coming to and going to yell at you while you are in there." She seems constantly hungry, and she was "Lean" when we adopted her, but I don't think I am feeding her too little?

2.) Few times a day she enters Spaz Mode. Just sprints laps from the bedroom, up over the bed, then back over the bed through the living room into the bathroom and behind the tub. Then rinse and repeat for 15 minutes. That's not a problem. Only when it's 11pm. But whatever, if that's what you gotta do. I do play with her 2-3 times a day to try and alleviate some of the energy.

She is pretty loving, though. Likes to be where you are for the most part. Likes to nap with us on the couch when we are sitting there. Has to sleep alongside my girlfriends stomach/chest. Other night my girlfriend went to bed before us so she wasn't "in position" when we made it to bed so Nova (cat) put her front paws on my GFs pillow and just stared at her until I woke her up and told her that Nova really needs her to make room. Haven't had a single litter problem. Did two litter boxes to help make it easier. Uses them every time (at least I think haha). We are very happy so far to have her.