Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What with netflix and internets and everything, most kids probably don't even know what broadcasting really means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

have you really never seen blazing saddles before?

Not since I was a kid.

Slippery posted:

broadcast standards?

Whatever you want to call the agency that determines how many times characters can say gently caress or whatever in a tv show/movie. In NZ it's called the broadcasting standards authority.

e: in the US they're called the MPAA, RIAA or ESRB

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Jan 27, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

bike tory posted:

Whatever you want to call the agency that determines how many times characters can say gently caress or whatever in a tv show/movie. In NZ it's called the broadcasting standards authority.

oh yeah I know, sorry, I meant I assumed the clip was from a vhs/dvd/cable broadcast/etc and wasn't from a normal public one, because you're right, the FCC would not allow profanities like that

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

I'm trying to tea-leaf read the favourite spelling. Presumably an American kid ('our border'). Is it that likely that they would encounter that spelling and have it stick?

I read a lot of Agatha Christie and stuff growing up, and would spell it colour or favourite or whatever sometimes as a kid. I still prefer how behaviour looks over behavior.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bike tory posted:

Jesus it's legit weird to hear them say chink, n-word and human being like that. Broadcasting standards have improved a lot~

Also isn't "chink" actually historically inaccurate for a western? I thought that was more a turn of the 20th century phrase

I don’t know if standards have gotten any higher when bbt is the most popular show

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Araenna posted:

I read a lot of Agatha Christie and stuff growing up, and would spell it colour or favourite or whatever sometimes as a kid. I still prefer how behaviour looks over behavior.
There's a bunch of words where I randomly flip between the American and British spellings because I can't remember which is supposed to be which. Mostly the -ize vs -ise ones, but a few others too.

Gray? Grey? Utilize? Utilise? gently caress it, who cares.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I don’t know if standards have gotten any higher when bbt is the most popular show

Do you think big bang theory would be improved by having the characters use racial slurs?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bike tory posted:

Do you think big bang theory would be improved by having the characters use racial slurs?

Improved? no. But at least it would be worth talking about even if it was all negative, unlike the bland unremarkable trash it is in its current form.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Haifisch posted:

There's a bunch of words where I randomly flip between the American and British spellings because I can't remember which is supposed to be which. Mostly the -ize vs -ise ones, but a few others too.

Gray? Grey? Utilize? Utilise? gently caress it, who cares.

I think it may have been these very forums that taught me it was grEy in England and grAy in America

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bike tory posted:

You briefly mae me imagine BBT but with like sheldon just going hog wild, all in on the slurs, and my life is poorer for it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bike tory posted:

It would be more true to life so yes

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is Sheldon a twitch streamer yet or is that concept too nerdy for the target audience to understand

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

snack eater posted:

Is Sheldon a twitch streamer yet or is that concept too nerdy for the target audience to understand

The people writing the show won't have heard of it for another year or so

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sheldon gets killed in Fortnite and drops an n-bomb. The blonde woman says "Sheldon, that's racist!" After the 10 seconds of laugh track ends, Sheldon turns to the camera, shrugs and says "Bazinga!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bike tory posted:

Sheldon gets killed in Fortnite and drops an n-bomb. The blonde woman says "Sheldon, that's racist!" After the 10 seconds of laugh track ends, Sheldon turns to the camera, shrugs and says "Bazinga!"

i'm pretty sure in this new edgy version it would be "bazinger" instead.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That show is so horribly unfunny that I don't think racial slurs would make it better or worse.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

:prepop:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Let Cum Town write an episode of BBT

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

i'm pretty sure in this new edgy version it would be "Benghazi" instead.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nazinga

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/themedievalhoax/status/1091017232149295106?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Maybe she's mocking Jacob Wohl?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Look at this nerd that's never done mushrooms

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Zelder posted:

Mushrooms aren't flowers.

:420:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Mushrooms aren't flowers.

:420:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

r/IDontWorkHereLady

Couple say I'm their daughter and try and kidnap me for not doing my job...

u/flex_tape_gurl

This was about 3 years ago but my aunt recently brought it up so I thought I'd share. This was a horrid experience but I now look back and laugh.

I was 14 and was visiting my aunt and uncle over the summer. My aunt works at the drug store a few blocks away. One day I had to get some feminine products as I had run out. So I decided I'd bring some lunch and eat with my aunt on her lunch break.

I went straight to the feminine products and in my haste accidently knocked some down. So I had squatted down to pick them. Note I also had my earbuds in listening to music. I was on the floor for maybe a minute when i was forcefully pulled up to a standing position. I turned and was met with a barbeque stained tshirt. Looked up I realized the guy wearing it was very angry and still holding on to my arm. He then started angrily ranting about how I shouldn't be wearing earbuds at work and should listen when someone was speaking to me.

I gruffly say "I dont work here. Go find someone else," and pulled my arm from his grip. Suddenly he's furious. He grabs my arm and starts pulling me to the front saying he's going to get me fired for being such a rude b***h. I was literally being dragged against my will so I start screaming "help! I'm being sexually assulted! He's trying to kidnap me!" He told me to shut up and still wouldn't let go!

People finally start coming around the corner as we get to the cash register. The lady there is horrified and tells him to let go of me and she is going to call the cops. He doesn't let go but realizes he's gonna be in trouble. So in an effort to cover his rear end he starts saying that I'm his daughter and I was trying to steal and his wife is right here to prove it. His wife looks a little shocked but quickly composes herself. She then marches right up to me and slaps me saying, I didn't raise my daughter to steal. They turn, still pulling me along, to leave. The whole time I am utterly horrified and didn't really say anything.

At this point my aunt comes from the back room and is utterly shocked. She starts screaming to let go of me. They start yelling that they are just disciplining their daughter. My aunt screams back that I'm her niece and they are going to jail. The guy quickly let go of me and literally run for the exit. The cashier lady followed them out yelling at them.

Turned out the cops had just pulled up outside and arrested them. I stayed in the back room as I was freaking out. But my aunt talked to the cops and pressed charges. They charged with assult, attempted kidnapping, theft (they took their unpaid items with them when they ran) and something else that I cant remember. I know the guy got 18 months in jail and a fine and the woman got a huge fine.

Edit: I think that the other was for having an illegal drug on them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

r/IDontWorkHereLady

Couple say I'm their daughter and try and kidnap me for not doing my job...

u/flex_tape_gurl

This was about 3 years ago but my aunt recently brought it up so I thought I'd share. This was a horrid experience but I now look back and laugh.

I was 14 and was visiting my aunt and uncle over the summer. My aunt works at the drug store a few blocks away. One day I had to get some feminine products as I had run out. So I decided I'd bring some lunch and eat with my aunt on her lunch break.

I went straight to the feminine products and in my haste accidently knocked some down. So I had squatted down to pick them. Note I also had my earbuds in listening to music. I was on the floor for maybe a minute when i was forcefully pulled up to a standing position. I turned and was met with a barbeque stained tshirt. Looked up I realized the guy wearing it was very angry and still holding on to my arm. He then started angrily ranting about how I shouldn't be wearing earbuds at work and should listen when someone was speaking to me.

I gruffly say "I dont work here. Go find someone else," and pulled my arm from his grip. Suddenly he's furious. He grabs my arm and starts pulling me to the front saying he's going to get me fired for being such a rude b***h. I was literally being dragged against my will so I start screaming "help! I'm being sexually assulted! He's trying to kidnap me!" He told me to shut up and still wouldn't let go!

People finally start coming around the corner as we get to the cash register. The lady there is horrified and tells him to let go of me and she is going to call the cops. He doesn't let go but realizes he's gonna be in trouble. So in an effort to cover his rear end he starts saying that I'm his daughter and I was trying to steal and his wife is right here to prove it. His wife looks a little shocked but quickly composes herself. She then marches right up to me and slaps me saying, I didn't raise my daughter to steal. They turn, still pulling me along, to leave. The whole time I am utterly horrified and didn't really say anything.

At this point my aunt comes from the back room and is utterly shocked. She starts screaming to let go of me. They start yelling that they are just disciplining their daughter. My aunt screams back that I'm her niece and they are going to jail. The guy quickly let go of me and literally run for the exit. The cashier lady followed them out yelling at them.

Turned out the cops had just pulled up outside and arrested them. I stayed in the back room as I was freaking out. But my aunt talked to the cops and pressed charges. They charged with assult, attempted kidnapping, theft (they took their unpaid items with them when they ran) and something else that I cant remember. I know the guy got 18 months in jail and a fine and the woman got a huge fine.

Edit: I think that the other was for having an illegal drug on them.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Two weeks later, the man and I started dating, and now we're married!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Tunicate posted:

r/IDontWorkHereLady

That sub is pretty low-hanging fruit for obviously made-up bullshit stories. I've had people mistake me for an employee before, but I've never had anyone actually get hostile when I say "Oh, sorry, I don't work here".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That reads like an Always Sunny episode.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I've had people mistake me for an employee before, but I've never had anyone actually get hostile when I say "Oh, sorry, I don't work here".

Check your employment-spoofing privilege cisjob scum

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Some niche content: An author on Facebook spun a tale about getting assaulted behind a Best Buy a few years ago. Linking it because it's long af.

http://impossiblefunky.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-strange-case-of-char-hardin.html

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Some niche content: An author on Facebook spun a tale about getting assaulted behind a Best Buy a few years ago. Linking it because it's long af.

http://impossiblefunky.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-strange-case-of-char-hardin.html

Eh. A third of the way through that I ended up being as annoyed with the author as I was with the liar. Like ok Nancy Drew well done for spending a productive morning phoning "every Best Buy in a 100 mile radius" so that you could call out a random attention seeker on facebook who owes people "an emotional debt"

Sorry did I say call out? I meant let her carry on with her lies while saying absolutely nothing to her directly but assuring your readers that you were right except hey you might be wrong who knows huh youd never call out a woman who had been attacked but you were definitely right and everyone else secretly congratulated you in private messages.

Wait, is this meta stdh? Is the author the pathological liar allp along?!?! TO THE PHONES

NtotheTC has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Feb 5, 2019

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm sorry your heart is too shrivelled to find joy in the sentence ''Justice will take care of it from here on out, but some rednecks from Manchac dealt out some backwoods justice. ~ Rooster''

ravenkult has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Feb 5, 2019

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

ravenkult posted:

I'm sorry your heart is too shrivelled to find joy in the sentence ''Justice will take care of it from here on out, but some rednecks from Manchac dealt out some backwoods justice. ~ Rooster''

I wasn't saying it was a bad post, its an entertaining read i just got tbe impression i was supposed to be on the blog authors side

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When my nephew was a toddler he grabbed a mandarin at the supermarket and threw it right in the middle of some old guy's bum as he was bending down for some potatoes.

Nothing really to do with this I just like to reminisce because the geezer was all "who the heck threw a mandarin at my bum :confused:".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Jesus christ why has this person dedicated themselves to what looks like weeks of detective work over this? Surely there's more harmful fake news around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That sub is pretty low-hanging fruit for obviously made-up bullshit stories. I've had people mistake me for an employee before, but I've never had anyone actually get hostile when I say "Oh, sorry, I don't work here".

I actually had kind of the opposite happen to me a few times when I was a young bloke working at petrol stations.

Someone would ask if we carried whatever product, I'd say, no, and they'd ask it any other places in the area had it.

I'd say, "Sorry I have no idea" and they'd lose their poo poo at me.

How dare I not know what products are stocked at our competitors/their current deals/prices :argh: