Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Could you move the sofa slightly and slip a folding screen behind it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What should I look up if I want someone to tell me whether or not it’s ok to bust out a wall or column in my house? “Structural engineer” just gets me foundation repair companies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fallom posted:

What should I look up if I want someone to tell me whether or not it’s ok to bust out a wall or column in my house? “Structural engineer” just gets me foundation repair companies.

Someone in GiP can get ahold of Grover.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Fallom posted:

I used http://onsitepe.com when I needed to get a house I owned looked at prior to a sale. You are on the right track searching for a structural engineer. Just need to sift through the search results for your area.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fallom posted:

To give you an amateur’s answer, it depends mostly on the direction of the joists above, but a structural engineer can tell you for sure and back it up with a degree.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Fallom posted:

You're potentially opening a door you don't want opened by doing this, but you can probably call/stop by your local municipality's permit office and ask them to make a recommendation. I live in a small township, but even here the permit office has a PE licensed dude on staff. Bonus is that assuming the plans of his recommended guy are followed, the permit is just rubber stamped while they're both out on the golf course or whatever.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

B-Nasty posted:

But HGTV told me that every house must have a fully open concept or it's a claustrophobic, outdated, shithole from the 80s. If I can't walk in the front door and see all your dirty pans in the sink, I'm telling my agent to scratch that house.

Seriously though, you already covered the ghetto fix: some type of temporary barrier sitting on that shelf or blanket from the ceiling. It would be worth closing it in correctly by ripping into the ceiling and extending a new frame down to the half wall's frame, after you stripped the countertop. Then, drywall the new frame. Most of the effort is drywalling/finishing work, the frame itself would be simple to build.

We've considered closing it off permanently - we had wanted to do it after we flooded with Harvey in 2017, but there was so much other crap going on that it just didn't get done.

Would have been the perfect time to do it, too.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Could you move the sofa slightly and slip a folding screen behind it?

We could. I've thought about making a screen that either sits on the granite or folds down from the ceiling - a simple frame with acoustic insulation maybe, covered with fabric. Getting something pre-made would be easier, for sure.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
If your problem is watching TV in the living room while someone is in the kitchen, do you have a sound bar or some kind of sound system with a subwoofer? Our open kitchen sound woes were fixed with a subwoofer. The bass was enough to augment the sound enough to be heard easily over the sink, stove top, fans, etc. .

The problem with a folding frame is where to keep it when you don't want the space closed off. If louder sound in the living room isn't an option, my vote would be Roman/ceiling mounted shades from someone like MoonDream. Acoustical curtains aren't cheap though and I wouldn't be surprised if the cost is similar to removing the counter and framing in the space. Installing the curtains would be a heck of a lot less mess though...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I would just put up a big venetian blind. It would probably cut alot of the annoyance down without much effort, and you could even get a translucent "roman" style so it doesn't look too weird.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese shoji screen for max oil splatters.

Tbh I'd probably just use cable ties to attach a blackboard to a garden trellis, and shove it behind the couch for minimal support.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

So I jut found a decent amount of dry rot in my house. The home inspector missed it, I can easily put a screwdriver through the rotten subfloor. In addition, I can feel cold air coming in from the baseboard area there, the wall at the baseboard feels rotten, and from the outside I can feel rot underneath the siding.

I'm not even sure what kind of contractor to call. Most of the GCs are just random chucklefucks, and I don't think it warrants a structural engineer. Advice? I'm pretty certain that the interior and exterior walls will need to get replaced in that area, and the window checked to make sure it's sealed properly.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Do you have a crawlspace? Basement? Slab foundation? If you can get a look from underneath that will help to determine if any structural components are damaged.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

My simple project of replacing the carpet with vinyl flooring just got a whole lot more interesting:

DkHelmet posted:

So I jut found a decent amount of dry rot in my house. The home inspector missed it, I can easily put a screwdriver through the rotten subfloor. In addition, I can feel cold air coming in from the baseboard area there, the wall at the baseboard feels rotten, and from the outside I can feel rot underneath the siding.

I'm not even sure what kind of contractor to call. Most of the GCs are just random chucklefucks, and I don't think it warrants a structural engineer. Advice? I'm pretty certain that the interior and exterior walls will need to get replaced in that area, and the window checked to make sure it's sealed properly.

I ran into the same problem last spring, your pic is what mine looked like before I started digging. Any windows in that corner? That was the source of my water, ended up having to replace the window and some of the framing on that wall and a chunk of subfloor. Aside from the window it was a pretty easy job, I let a pro handle that part of it so I didn't have to worry about loving up a $1200 picture window.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Would it be worth getting those garage door insulation kits if my garage doesn't have insulation in the walls? The walls are rocked, but without insulation.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AFewBricksShy posted:

Would it be worth getting those garage door insulation kits if my garage doesn't have insulation in the walls? The walls are rocked, but without insulation.

I have modern insulated steel doors on my 105 year old garage. Walls are uninsulated plaster on lathe. The door insulation has made no difference, but the better seal compared to the old barn style doors has made it extremely humid inside due to the heat from vehicles condensing on cold windows/surfaces. My suggestion would be to do all or nothing.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Are there any good resources for maintaining/dealing with hot water radiators? The house I’m buying has them so I’m aware of having to bleed them occasionally but I was wondering if there was more to deal with.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Are there any good resources for maintaining/dealing with hot water radiators? The house I’m buying has them so I’m aware of having to bleed them occasionally but I was wondering if there was more to deal with.

Not really, no. You'll need to keep an eye on whatever anti-rust filter thing you have (if any) on the boiler, other than that it's just bleed them regularly and, if my lifetime of living with them is any indication, overpaint them with thick globs of white paint taking special case to leave lots of thick gritty paint runs all over them.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Not really, no. You'll need to keep an eye on whatever anti-rust filter thing you have (if any) on the boiler, other than that it's just bleed them regularly and, if my lifetime of living with them is any indication, overpaint them with thick globs of white paint taking special case to leave lots of thick gritty paint runs all over them.

Yeah, they're thick iron pipes full of water. They will literally outlive you, your kids, and their kids. Also steam heat, best heat.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

beep-beep car is go posted:

Also steam heat, best heat.

:hmmyes:

If you have old radiators and one stops working, check the valve/inlet. Sometimes they get clogged or too dang old and will cause problems so the radiator won’t heat. It’s a cheap fix. The radiator itself is basically indestructible tho.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

You should also flush them every 5 years or so and then refill them with fresh corrosion inhibitor/additive. If you bleed a radiator and the water that comes out is black and disgusting then its overdue a flush.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm looking to tear out some linoleum and replace it with tile. It's on a subfloor and butts up to carpet. When I remove the linoleum to do the tile, I will put down cement board for the tile, but how do you deal with the new difference in height between the carpet/tile transition?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Faustian Bargain posted:

I'm looking to tear out some linoleum and replace it with tile. It's on a subfloor and butts up to carpet. When I remove the linoleum to do the tile, I will put down cement board for the tile, but how do you deal with the new difference in height between the carpet/tile transition?

By ripping everything out and redoing it, usually.

Which side is going to be higher, tile or carpet? Could you put the tile direct onto the subfloor with some CI matting so you don't have to put down cement board?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Jaded Burnout posted:

By ripping everything out and redoing it, usually.

Which side is going to be higher, tile or carpet? Could you put the tile direct onto the subfloor with some CI matting so you don't have to put down cement board?
Ripping out the subfloor doesn't sound practical. This would be the entire upstairs of my house.

Even if I redid the subfloor, where the tile goes would either have cement board or this kind of matting raising it up, along with the tile thickness, right?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Faustian Bargain posted:

Ripping out the subfloor doesn't sound practical. This would be the entire upstairs of my house.

Yeah it's not fun.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Even if I redid the subfloor, where the tile goes would either have cement board or this kind of matting raising it up, along with the tile thickness, right?

Yeah. I suggested the matting because it's thinner, but ultimately you're hamstrung by basic physics. If the tiles will be too high and you want the two things to line up you're going to have to either raise the carpet up or use thinner tiles/substrates or both.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Faustian Bargain posted:

get thicker underlay for your carpet and make the transition line up with the door to the room?

(my landing is new carpet with underlay and its close to 10mm higher than my bathroom which is 3mm ply and lino)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 31, 2019

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Thanks for the tips. The carpet is builder grade garbage so it's going to be removed and replaced anyway, so I will look at a thicker underlay.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I think my front door isn't perfectly flat. There's obvious gaps around the edges, and in this -20 weather in NJ, I can feel cold air streaming through the edges. I'm pretty sure this house was just poorly constructed, but this is the main source of heat leaking.

What are my choices for fixing this? I think I will ultimately need a new door, but is there anything I can do to at least minimize this draft until the spring? So far I think a can of spray rubber flex-seal would work and let me use the door, or I could at least use duct tape.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

So I think my front door isn't perfectly flat. There's obvious gaps around the edges, and in this -20 weather in NJ, I can feel cold air streaming through the edges. I'm pretty sure this house was just poorly constructed, but this is the main source of heat leaking.

What are my choices for fixing this? I think I will ultimately need a new door, but is there anything I can do to at least minimize this draft until the spring? So far I think a can of spray rubber flex-seal would work and let me use the door, or I could at least use duct tape.

They make peel and stick rubber or foam weather stripping which should be both way easier to install and not as janky as something sprayed. Otherwise yeah masking tape.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

red19fire posted:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-3-16-in-x-7-ft-Silver-Aluminum-Vinyl-Weatherstrip/1000322389

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

They make peel and stick rubber or foam weather stripping which should be both way easier to install and not as janky as something sprayed. Otherwise yeah masking tape.

Just a strip of the adhesive-backed weather stripping in that one jamb should make a big difference. Install it so the door compresses it when closed and it will seal up. Just know that weather stripping comes in a few thicknesses and it can make the door harder to close and latch.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah just buy a few thicknesses (assuming stores still have any in stock / are open) and close the door on it. When one blocks the light, draft, and latches easily, install it permanently. Return the rest, or go around to your other doors and windows.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah just buy a few thicknesses (assuming stores still have any in stock / are open) and close the door on it. When one blocks the light, draft, and latches easily, install it permanently. Return the rest, or go around to your other doors and windows.

This worked, I bought the thickest stuff they had. Still kind of a draft at the very bottom corner but its better than before.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

This worked, I bought the thickest stuff they had. Still kind of a draft at the very bottom corner but its better than before.

Yay! You can probably find something in your house to mash into the corner as well to stop the draft entirely.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

red19fire posted:

Copper weatherstrip works well also. Just nail or staple it on.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Apologies if this isn't the most appropriate thread.

I'm in an apartment, and my water heater seems to slowly be giving me less and less shower time before the water gets cold. Are there any basic troubleshooting steps I can run through before I get maintenance involved?

I have a vague memory of being able to hook a hose to them and suck out sediment from the bottom of the tank which would be reducing the fluid capacity, but that blurb is the extent of what I can call up on the subject. That's also the rough upper extent of what I'm intent on attempting by myself.

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 2, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don’t do anything yourself. Trying to service a heater that’s too far gone can damage it even worse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

I'm in an apartment

Do you own the apartment? If not the answer is to call your landlord or property management.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our old water heater crapped out after 15 years. Sometimes… they get their angel wings too soon…

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just picture in your head a broken water heater endlessly gushing water into your downstairs neighbors' apartments and you explaining to the management company how you were just trying to fix it without bothering them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I'm installing a range hood in my kitchen and I had to bore a 6" hold thru a solid 1.5" of plaster + lathe + the original wood shingling (lead paint flakes probably) + a rigid foam insulation layer + vinyl siding. It was pretty neato.